Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/4/2012 8:10:52 AM EDT
I know some here will say it is a good move, but to me it smacks of caving in to PC interests.

Isn't the Military Religious Freedom Foundation a one man/nutjob shop?

Marine unit abandons ‘Crusaders’ nickname

The Associated Press
Posted : Monday Jun 4, 2012 9:38:02 EDT

BEAUFORT, S.C. — A Beaufort Marine Corps air squadron is abandoning its recently adopted nickname of Crusaders.
The Beaufort Gazette reports that the deputy commander of Marine Corps aviation, Lt. Gen. Terry Robling, has ordered Fighter Attack Squadron 122 to return to using the Werewolves name.

The unit's commander had announced earlier this year the squadron would again use Crusaders to honor the Crusader aircraft the unit originally flew. The squadron used that name from 1959 to 2008.

The Military Religious Freedom Foundation objected, saying the Crusaders name could stir anti-American sentiment in the Middle East.

The Marine Corps said because of how the name is now perceived, Robling felt it best to return to the Werewolves name.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Lame.

God forbid we upset a muslim
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:22:19 AM EDT
[#2]
in before the 3 or 4 mega atheist on here that think its fine
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Not only should they keep the name, but they should re-activate some F-8s to fly!
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:26:21 AM EDT
[#4]
<shrugs>
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:26:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:27:17 AM EDT
[#6]

We should explain to them how a crusade merely means a spiritual journey in seeking God.
Its just like jihad that way.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:28:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lame.

(Shrug) Insh'allah.

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:28:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not only should they keep the name, but they should re-activate some F-8s to fly!
http://www.aviation-art.net/Gallery2009A/F8IAsv.jpg

Last of the Gunfighters !

Magnificent plane !
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:28:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://images.betterworldbooks.com/487/Crusade-in-Europe-by-Dwight-D-Eisenhower-and-How-This-Case-Has-Affected-Us-Eisenhower-Dwight-9784871873130.jpg

We should explain to them how a crusade merely means a spiritual journey in seeking God.

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lame.

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:32:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Marine Corps capitulates to Political Correctness.

Next up: open embrace of homosexuality.

Oh wait...

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:32:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Lame.

This is the world in which we live now.

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#13]
just another day in the nut house.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:34:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Chesty, please unfuck these air wingers in charge please.

Sincerely,

Those with balls.

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Lame as fuck
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:37:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
in before the 3 or 4 mega atheist on here that think its fine

This.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#17]
My High School mascot was 'The Crusaders'...hope they dont change!

For fuck sake what is happening to this country?
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:43:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Lame.

Well seeing how we might have to use their lands for bases or emergency airfields, maybe we might want to think a little bit about that.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:45:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Should be VMFA-122 "The Templers"
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:46:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lame.

Well seeing how we might have to use their lands for bases or emergency airfields, maybe we might want to think a little bit about that.

See my Avatar, fuck'em.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#21]
How about FAS-122, The.... wait, is there a Latin word for "anal speculum made out of bacon"?
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:52:15 AM EDT
[#22]
How about
"fightin' zionists"
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lame.

See my Avatar, fuck'em.

That's why I included emergency landing fields.

I can think of at least two carrier capable aircraft situations of where they had to go for a land base option instead of the carrier.

Are you willing to sacrifice the time it takes to train a carrier pilot, in a potential emergency, based on pure arrogancy of what one names a squadron?
_____________________________________________________________________________________
("I object to you. I object to intellect without discipline; I object to power without constructive purpose."––Spock
"Oh, Mr. Spock, you do have one saving grace after all: you're ill-mannered!"––Trelane, (w,stte), ST:TOS, "The Squire of Gothos")
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#24]
This whole topic is full of nothing more than emotion.

1) Emotion from the ROPers who are mad about it.

2) Emotion from the people who are crying over a lost nick name.

Is this fucking kindergarten?

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 9:02:44 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

i agree that it's pretty silly on one level, but ultimately, the military is a political instrument––anything that might damage its success as an instrument (or aid the enemy) is a bad idea.

the propaganda potential here is significant.

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Look closely...

I got a chuckle every time I thought about it as we invaded Iraq.  Mainly because I was sure there were people who would be offended by it unnecessarily.

3rd MP Co
4th PLT "Crusaders"
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 9:06:54 AM EDT
[#27]
My high school mascot was/is a buccaneer. I'm sure the Somali pirates will get offended and my school will change it's mascot.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 9:11:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Next up: open embrace of homosexuality.

Oh wait...

They even caved on the Army's reflective belts...yep, the marines have been wearing them in theater for several years now...even the USAF continues to resist the belt.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 9:13:42 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last of the Gunfighters !

Magnificent plane !

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 9:15:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I think 'Werewolves' sends a negative message to those who may been victims of canine related violence.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#31]
All joking aside, can anyone really honestly say that they don't believe this credence to AQ propaganda saying that we are crusaders who need to be fought against in a Jihad?

It would be like the tea party adopting the nickname KKK when the liberals accuse them of being racist. It only helps their opponents say "see, we were right."  It serves no function for our side other than to say "we have a cool nickname" or "haha, its making them mad, look how funny we are"  neither of which seems worth it.

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#32]
I for one (as a muslim) would not give a flying fuck if a whole Corps nicknamed Crusaders used my country as a staging ground.

As long as they're not on a crusade to destroy Islam, why should anyone care?

ETA: Although when you're dealing with illiterate goat farmers, I guess you MAY need a bit more subtlety. I don't know.

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I for one (as a muslim) would not give a flying fuck if a whole Corps nicknamed Crusaders used my country as a staging ground.

ETA: Although when you're dealing with illiterate goat farmers, I guess you MAY need a bit more subtlety. I don't know.

That's the problem.

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You, however, are in Turkey.....what if the country in question was Saudi Arabia?
("Among ourselves, we all get along. Of course, there was the time when he sold him a horse but delivered a mule, but that's all over now. Now we live in simple peace and harmony."––Tevye on the verge of renewed hostilities, (w,stte), "Fiddler on the Roof")
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Welcome to a few years ago, they change their name to werewolves to deploy and than someone had the bright idea to change it back
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Really? With 15k posts you have to ask?  It's actually Fundergarten.

Thing is, "CRUSADERS" had shit to do with the protection of Christians against marauding Muzzies, it was all about DE PLANE, boss, DE PLANE!  It's fucking ridiculous we have to cave to some fucking miscreant like Mikey Goldberg or whatever the fuck his name is cuz he wants to thrash about and get his name in the papers.

It's like blacks whipping themselves into a frenzy over the word "NIGGARDLY".  Funny to watch until someone starts to take it seriously.

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#37]
As a Catholic, I find this to be offensive and at its core removing the nickname of "Crusader" is fundamentally anti-Catholic.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#38]

Does a JDAM dropped from a Werewolf hurts less then one dropped by a Crusader?  

The Werewolf is badass looking on the tail though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I agree wholeheartedly with this. When you're out of Crusaders, you're out of fighters.

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I think 'Werewolves' sends a negative message to those who may been victims of canine related violence.

Would you prefer that they be called "the glittery, boy-band, vegan-vampires"?

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
http://images.betterworldbooks.com/487/Crusade-in-Europe-by-Dwight-D-Eisenhower-and-How-This-Case-Has-Affected-Us-Eisenhower-Dwight-9784871873130.jpg

Actually, it is exactly like Jihad in that way.

Yet, how do you think this thread would go if people learned a unit of the Turkish Army called themselves the Jihadists?
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 9:44:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Lame.

This.  I never thought I'd see the corps or the military for that matter give in to stupid shit like this.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 9:45:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, it is exactly like Jihad in that way.

Yet, how do you think this thread would go if people learned a unit of the Turkish Army called themselves the Jihadists?

I think the assumption is every unit in the Turkish Army calls themselves the jihadists.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Just checking in.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 9:58:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing:  I'm sure some group can be found who can/will take offense...how about actual werewolves upset with the violent image this portrays.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Lame.

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? With 15k posts you have to ask?  It's actually Fundergarten.

Thing is, "CRUSADERS" had shit to do with the protection of Christians against marauding Muzzies, it was all about DE PLANE, boss, DE PLANE!  It's fucking ridiculous we have to cave to some fucking miscreant like Mikey Goldberg or whatever the fuck his name is cuz he wants to thrash about and get his name in the papers.

It's like blacks whipping themselves into a frenzy over the word "NIGGARDLY".  Funny to watch until someone starts to take it seriously.

In the future, the "0" admin will ensure that only PC names/terms are used for future aircraft...that is if we build any aircraft in the future.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 10:03:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Meh, change it to Team Tolerance.  That'd be kind of fun.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Chesty, please unfuck these air wingers in charge please.

Sincerely,

Those with balls.

As a former Air Winger, I agree.

Jesus what are these assholes doing to my Marine Corps?
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 10:13:19 AM EDT
[#50]
nice drawing, but it needs hydraulic fluid all over the rear fuselage to be authentic.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top