Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/28/2012 7:18:25 PM EDT
Battleships had teak decks. Why teak? Because teak is one of the most weather-resistant woods in the world. Why wood at all? Because wood absorbs the impact of machine gun bullets; steel makes 'em bounce.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats not how trivia works.
First you ask the Question?????????????????
Then you take ANSWERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then you inform people if they are correct or NOT correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah what the dude above said!....  

yeah.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Battleships had teak decks. Why teak? Because teak is one of the most weather-resistant woods in the world. Why wood at all? Because wood absorbs the impact of machine gun bullets; steel makes 'em bounce.

Insulation is a bigger factor I bet.

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is the airspeed of an unladen AIM-7?

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#6]
African or European?  
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#7]
during WW2 there were actually serious proposals to build pycreat ships.  whats pycreat?  its ice with saw dust mixed in.

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I always heard because of the naturals oils in the wood. I believe that it was also used as a bearing around propeller shafts on steam ships because of this.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#9]
What color is the boathouse in Hereford?
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

What were decks made of before machineguns?

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Don't know about the boat house, but the feedlot stinks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The British Army has never lost a war in which they wore pith helmets.  

Where can I buy one?

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm going to use that one!
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What were decks made of before machineguns?

Strangely enough; wood.   You know; for the cannon balls.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#15]
The first issued semiauto rifle was fielded by Mexico.

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#16]
The good idea fairy is 100% real.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#17]
The term "red tape" to describe the restraints of heavy bureaucracy came about because during the Civil War, Union Army regulation manuals were bound with red tape.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#19]
During the latter days of World War II, Germany was experimenting with designs for launch platforms towed by submarines, to position V-2 rockets off the U.S. east coast and fire them at U.S. cities.

(Experiments never got past the drawing board, AFAIK).
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Pithy!

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Q: Who the fuck does the Commander-in-Chief think he is ?

A: ya got me on that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#22]
MacArthur had his hand in his pocket when the Japanese surrendered.

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

furious mast..........never
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#24]
GI stands for Government Issue

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#25]
In the early days of the Vietnam War, the CIA ran a disinformation op in which they transmitted phony message and radio traffic between non existent U.S. military forces ostensibly deployed in Southeast Asia, using codes which they knew had been compromised by the enemy.

The purpose was to convince North Vietnam that the U.S. was getting ready to invade, and topple the Hanoi government.

The op was so successful that for several years, the North Vietnamese Army kept a large military force tied up near Hanoi doing nothing, to guard against the phony "invasion."
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't know about the boat house, but the feedlot stinks.

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The term "red tape" to describe the restraints of heavy bureaucracy came about because during the Civil War, Union Army regulation manuals were bound with red tape.

I believe it goes back WAY further than that, with the first reference to it going back to the 1500s.

Dickinson, WAR SLANG, Page 18:

"This term seemed to come into its own during the Civil War.  In The Road To Richmond (1939), Major Abner Small describes the hurdles he encountered trying to get the body of a dead soldier back to Maine from Virginia, he obtained the body and the money to ship it, but states 'Red tape was more difficult to manage.'"

The term may indeed be older than the Civil War, but it probably came into widespread popular use during that era.  Bruce Catton also makes a similar observation in Mr. Lincoln's Army (1951).
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#29]
A "cup of Joe" is a derogatory reference to a cup of coffee after SECNAV Josephus Daniels banned booze in wardrooms, making coffee the most potent beverage available.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The first issued semiauto rifle was fielded by Mexico.  

http://www.carbinesforcollectors.com/slr.html

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 8:32:00 PM EDT
[#31]
fascinating
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Modern armies (especially the Germans) have experimented with caseless ammo at various times going back over 100 years now.

The advantages, if it could be perfected, would include ease of production and simplification of logistics.

Conventional brass cartridge cases, however, perform a very important function - removing heat from the firing chamber upon ejection.

To date, no reliable caseless ammo has been developed which can effectively deal with the loss of the heat removal function of conventional brass.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe it goes back WAY further than that, with the first reference to it going back to the 1500s.

"This term seemed to come into its own during the Civil War.  In The Road To Richmond (1939), Major Abner Small describes the hurdles he encountered trying to get the body of a dead soldier back to Maine from Virginia, he obtained the body and the money to ship it, but states 'Red tape was more difficult to manage.'"

The term may indeed be older than the Civil War, but it probably came into widespread popular use during that era.  Bruce Catton also makes a similar observation in Mr. Lincoln's Army (1951).

It's funny you mention Dickinson, as none other than Charles Dickinson referred to "Red Tape" in "David Copperfield" back in 1850 - though more concretely, not metaphorically.

http://www.online-literature.com/dickens/copperfield/15/

Opposite to the tall old chimney-piece were two portraits: one of a gentleman with grey hair (though not by any means an old man) and black eyebrows, who was looking over some papers tied together with red tape; the other, of a lady, with a very placid and sweet expression of face, who was looking at me.

http://www.online-literature.com/dickens/copperfield/43/

Night after night, I record predictions that never come to pass, professions that are never fulfilled, explanations that are only meant to mystify. I wallow in words. Britannia, that unfortunate female, is always before me, like a trussed fowl: skewered through and through with office-pens, and bound hand and foot with red tape. I am sufficiently behind the scenes to know the worth of political life. I am quite an Infidel about it, and shall never be converted.

Definitely a bureaucratic practice not only outside of the military, but beyond the US.

The Civil War may have been when it morphed into its generic and less literal meaning.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 8:54:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
GI stands for Government Issue  
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 8:55:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Wolseley helmets the secret weapon of Empire!

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

And their opponents were pithed, I'll wager.

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#38]
The Roman Army pioneered the use of surgical staples.  They used silver because it was hypoallergenic, and scored them to make it easier to cut and remove the staples when the wound healed.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#39]
50,000 Canadian Soldiers fought in the Korean war. Over 5000 Canadians crossed the border and volunteered to fight the Viet Nam war. Most of those were USMC. Many did more than 1 tour.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

furious mast..........never

Or just one of the earliest known photographs of the guard mitten (tm).  
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 9:16:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Historians still do not know what, exactly, the weapon described as "Greek Fire" was.

Greek Fire
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's funny you mention Dickinson, as none other than Charles Dickinson referred to "Red Tape" in "David Copperfield" back in 1850 - though more concretely, not metaphorically.

Opposite to the tall old chimney-piece were two portraits: one of a gentleman with grey hair (though not by any means an old man) and black eyebrows, who was looking over some papers tied together with red tape; the other, of a lady, with a very placid and sweet expression of face, who was looking at me.

Night after night, I record predictions that never come to pass, professions that are never fulfilled, explanations that are only meant to mystify. I wallow in words. Britannia, that unfortunate female, is always before me, like a trussed fowl: skewered through and through with office-pens, and bound hand and foot with red tape. I am sufficiently behind the scenes to know the worth of political life. I am quite an Infidel about it, and shall never be converted.

Definitely a bureaucratic practice not only outside of the military, but beyond the US.

The Civil War may have been when it morphed into its generic and less literal meaning.

You meant Dickens, not Dickinson, right?  I'll chalk this one up to late night posting.

I agree, though, the term predates the American Civil War by many years.

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You meant Dickens, not Dickinson, right?  I'll chalk this one up to late night posting.

I agree, though, the term predates the American Civil War by many years.

Uggh!

Yes, Dickens.

You'd think I would have caught that after looking up the book online!

Maybe he was related to Emily?

Funny how I was able to google "charles dickinson david copperfield" and still find the book online.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Historians still do not know what, exactly, the weapon described as "Greek Fire" was.

Greek Fire

It turns out it was herpes.

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Greek Fire

It turns out it was herpes.

Mixed with discarded druggie syringes
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Bradley's are credited with destroying more Iraqi armor in Desert Storm than M1 tanks.
More Bradleys were destroyed by M1 tanks in Desert Storm (18) than were destroyed by the Iraqi Army (3).

Less than half of Gen. Custer's 7th Cavalry died at the Battle of Little Bighorn. The majority of the Regiment survived the battle.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#47]

Airborne Trivia,

In the PLF,

the 5th point of contact is the "pull up muscle"

Just a heads up.

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Airborne Trivia,

In the PLF,

the 5th point of contact is the "pull up muscle"

Just a heads up.

Push up muscle.  Not pull up muscle.

And it isn't the push up muscle. It is the lat.

Freaking drove me nuts everytime the instructor would say that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 11:01:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!

He didn't say it was a quiz dipshit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 12:18:04 AM EDT
[#50]
The world's first use of aircraft carriers was during... the Civil War!

Union troops used a barge to service an observation balloon, towing the barge up & down the river.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top