Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/23/2011 5:12:45 PM EDT
I'm sure we have vets here who have suffered injuries during war.  What kind of injuries if you dont mind me asking?

Could be anything from slipping in the porta john and spraining your ankle to loss of limb or worse.  I'd love to hear your stories.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of  thread is this?

I don't like it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#2]
people that have them don't talk about it. it's personal
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I don't like it.

OP is pretty fucked up isn't he...
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#4]
OP is a dick
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#5]
just bad judgement , we all have done it at one time or another.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#6]

sometimes curiosity is a bad thing.

id be interested in the stories people would be willing to share but this is not exactly something that should be asked.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm sure we have vets here who have suffered injuries during war.  What kind of injuries if you dont mind me asking?

Could be anything from slipping in the porta john and spraining your ankle to loss of limb or worse.  I'd love to hear your stories.

I'm sorry man but this is the type of thing we dont talk about. If you find someone who does talk about it then they are either lying or very messed up in the head.

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Anyhow, I'm not a war vet, so I don't any injury to tell you about.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I've buried wives, but a father should never bury a son. It was the flood of '52, we were all caught on the levee, but.. I don't want to talk about this no more.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry man but this is the type of thing we dont talk about. If you find someone who does talk about it then they are either lying or very messed up in the head.

I'm gonna give you more s than I gave the OP:

A WWII vet I knew told me about his injury when I asked him about it, and (1) he had the scars and shrapnel fragments/staining to prove it and (2) he was not messed up in the head.

So .
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not a war vet, all got was carpal tunnel from shuffling cards.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#12]
You know, sometimes the ones who are like "we dont talk about these kind of things" are usually full of shit themselves. Then again you will never know if they cant prove it. Ive seen alot of people caught doing that shit.

This kind of question is just as retarded and disrespectful as "Did you kill anyone?"
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

sometimes curiosity is a bad thing.

id be interested in the stories people would be willing to share but this is not exactly something that should be asked.

I probably wouldn't ask now that I'm not 10 years old, but the one vet I did ask at that time told me quite willingly.

Maybe it was because I was 10, but I didn't get the impression that I shouldn't have asked.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Ummmm. No
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Can't hear crap outta my right ear due to a C-RAM.

Also my lungs are fucked due to the 82nd burning scopeshield (prc 139) batteries.  Thanks screaming chicken dickheads.

No scars or missing limbs from an ied or round, thank god.

ETA:  never been in a "fire fight".  Never claimed to have been nor would want to.  You might want to re word or just plain delete this thread though.  Has the potential to rub vets the wrong way... jmho.  We can be a sensitive bunch.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Injuries?  Did they fall out of a tree?[/BoB]

Wounded, maybe.  Not injured.

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Met a ww2 vet who pointed out the multiple scars in his hands arms and pointed to some on his back. He said he got shot up and wounded so bad their is about a week worth of memories he's missing. Best he can recall he was wounded (shrapnel, bullets), got picked up by the germans, they pulled out and left him behind. He "comes to" some days later starts walking down the road and runs into members from his unit who assumed he was dead. He was a member of the 101st jumped same time as the  the b.o.b same co and everything.

If vets want to share their stories they will no need to harp on the op.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, it's kind of a sensitive area for some folks.

I'm not a combat veteran. I developed tinnitus after being around generators for at least 12 hours a day for a year in Iraq. It's annoying as fuck.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#19]
OP, Think about it. If you got shot/hurt I'm sure you'd feel the same way as many vets do.  I can respect that.

Not sure if these may be the right words. Wounds are respected but not something to brag about.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I am a war vet and I have no problems explaining to people my injuries sustained in combat.  I dont think im all that messed up in the head.  It is one grisly fact of fighting a war.  I have found that when people ask they usually feel a little closer to the whole ordeal because they know someone who is directly effected by the war.  Questions usually come when they see purple heart license plate.  

On to the stories.

- Late 2005 in Balad, Iraq my gun truck was hit with a 155mm artillery shell IED.  I was driving and it hit underneath the back passenger side tire.  The back of the truck was raised violently and I managed to hit my forehead on the steering wheel / radio mount / fan I had mounted.  It was just below my helmet line in between my eyes.  The gash was about 2 inches long and relatively deep.  A little scalp glue and I was good.  It scared a bit but its all good.  No one was seriously injured.  However, the truck, from the back seats on back was missing.  

- Early 2006 in Tikrit, Iraq I had a 120mm Mortar land in a gravel parking lot about 75 meters from me.  I was sprayed with gravel and dirt and managed to get a few bleeding welts.  Not to bad.  Could have been worse.  Again, no one seriously injured.  

- February 2008 in Mahmudiyah, Iraq while on a dismounted patrol I was shot in the stomach in a close ambush.  The round entered the side of my side plate (hit me from my half left catching a corner of the side plate)  The round went through the soft armor and into my floating rib.  The shock of round hitting my vest spun the armor on my body and ripped the skin on my neck.  Two weeks later I was back on patrol.  No one died that day but several injuries to include gunshot wounds, shrapnel, and injuries sustained from falling while buddy rushing and moving across a canal.  However, at least 4 enemy KIA.  This was the clash that took the steam out of the sails of the local insurgent group.  After that day we made some key cache finds and the next 6 months went relatively easy.  

There were more injuries sustained simply because we were living so primitively, but these were my only combat related injuries.

See...that wasnt so bad.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry OP, Very tacky to me. Very.

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm not a combat veteran. I developed tinnitus after being around generators for at least 12 hours a day for a year in Iraq. It's annoying as fuck.

Deaf as hell in my right, tinnitus in my left.  I know all about annoying, my friend.   My PCM just upped my ambien (ringing gets bad when I'm trying to sleep). Not sure of the doesage, but ambien does not work verry well any more.  That ringing makes me want to.... nevermind.  You know what I'm talking about.

Word on the street though is tinnitus is at least 10 percent VA disability rating per ear.  Look into it.

-rb

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Deaf as hell in my right, tinnitus in my left.  I know all about annoying, my friend.   My PCM just upped my ambien (ringing gets bad when I'm trying to sleep). Not sure of the doesage, but ambien does not work verry well any more.  That ringing makes me want to.... nevermind.  You know what I'm talking about.

Word on the street though is tinnitus is at least 10 percent VA disability rating per ear.  Look into it.

-rb

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

-rb

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#25]
My nephew was injured in Mosul Dec. 22, 2004. A suicide bomber that day killed 22 and wounded 60. His 1/24 Inf CO was killed instantly. Sean got hit by shrapnel in several places: neck wound damn close to carotid, hip wound that nicked femoral and tore up some intestines, arm wound that tore a chunk of flesh away, and a hand wound the almost removed his thumb. On top of that he had serious burns. He rehab'd for a few months then went back on duty after his shitbag was removed and final gut surgery was completed. Then, in July, he rejoined his unit and finished out his last 2 months of deployment.

He isn't one to talk about it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Injuries?  Did they fall out of a tree?[/BoB]

Wounded, maybe.  Not injured.

Beat me to it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like it.

OP is pretty fucked up isn't he...

How is the OP "fucked up" for simply asking the question?  If my reading comprehension is correct, he wasn't being disrespectfull, just asking a question.  

I didn't know it was insulting to ask that question myself.  The veterans I work with never seemed to mind telling me about being wounded in combat, but they told me without my asking I suppose.

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-rb

I took Ambien initially but I found that I was "enjoying" it, so I took myself off of it. Have you tried using something as "white noise", like a fan or dehumidifier? It helps to have something that makes noise when I'm going to sleep.

The VA rated me at 10% and I felt a little guilty about doing it. In retrospect I should have popped earpro in when I was on shift.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#29]
No combat here.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I am a war vet and I have no problems explaining to people my injuries sustained in combat.  I dont think im all that messed up in the head.  It is one grisly fact of fighting a war.  I have found that when people ask they usually feel a little closer to the whole ordeal because they know someone who is directly effected by the war.  Questions usually come when they see purple heart license plate.  

On to the stories.

- Late 2005 in Balad, Iraq my gun truck was hit with a 155mm artillery shell IED.  I was driving and it hit underneath the back passenger side tire.  The back of the truck was raised violently and I managed to hit my forehead on the steering wheel / radio mount / fan I had mounted.  It was just below my helmet line in between my eyes.  The gash was about 2 inches long and relatively deep.  A little scalp glue and I was good.  It scared a bit but its all good.  No one was seriously injured.  However, the truck, from the back seats on back was missing.  

- Early 2006 in Tikrit, Iraq I had a 120mm Mortar land in a gravel parking lot about 75 meters from me.  I was sprayed with gravel and dirt and managed to get a few bleeding welts.  Not to bad.  Could have been worse.  Again, no one seriously injured.  

- February 2008 in Mahmudiyah, Iraq while on a dismounted patrol I was shot in the stomach in a close ambush.  The round entered the side of my side plate (hit me from my half left catching a corner of the side plate)  The round went through the soft armor and into my floating rib.  The shock of round hitting my vest spun the armor on my body and ripped the skin on my neck.  Two weeks later I was back on patrol.  No one died that day but several injuries to include gunshot wounds, shrapnel, and injuries sustained from falling while buddy rushing and moving across a canal.  However, at least 4 enemy KIA.  This was the clash that took the steam out of the sails of the local insurgent group.  After that day we made some key cache finds and the next 6 months went relatively easy.  

There were more injuries sustained simply because we were living so primitively, but these were my only combat related injuries.

See...that wasnt so bad.

Thanks for that.  You're right.  I've never been in the military, and all I know is what I see in videos or read on the news.  I can't even imagine what you went through, but I try when I read your post.

Thank you.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#31]
A little lizard bit my hand one day......fucker.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

On to the stories.

See...that wasnt so bad.

Thank you for your Service
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

On to the stories.

See...that wasnt so bad.

Thank you for your Service

No prob.  I love what I do.  I dont post these things to get high fives.  Someone wanted to know and I am here to give some insight is all.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Civilians
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Sorry OP, Very tacky to me. Very.  

Wow, you would hate what we are doing at my school then...

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Civilians

Is asking about your avatar appropriate?
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#37]
God bless all of you for your service to this country. I am proud of you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#38]
No combat injury.

Irritated nerves in upper & lower back, give me pain in my hamstring/glute and r. arm.

Got sent to Landstuhl from AFG for . . . groin pain.  They never figured out what it was while I was there, but they kept finding new things in the imaging that they wanted to look more closely at.  As best I can remember:  CT w/contrast to look at groin (nothing found); ultrasound to look at r. kidney cyst; another CT scan to determine if cyst was hypodense (?), water filled (?); then another ultrasound to look at the lesions they noticed on my liver when looking at the second set of CT results.

Three weeks in Landstuhl.  Best chow ever out of a DFAC, run by the Navy.  Got to go out to Luxembourg and stop at the graveyard where Patton is buried; tour Luxmbourg city on foot; got to go to Idar Oberstein which was a real experience as it is a stone cutting area and I am a jeweler; spent Thanksgiving with the 3-star NATO DCO at his home.

Bloody well killed me to be away for three weeks while everybody else got shot at, but once the docs have their mitts on you, you just cannot get away.

Still have that groin pain and sometimes it gets so bad I want to go ask the doc to cut off my nut, once i got home they discovered a cyst on my testicle and the urologist refused to operate.  Fortunately, it has not gotten any bigger.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#39]
To all of our veterans, I would like to thank you for your service.

Those that have been wounded deserve even more admiration for the
sacrifices and pain that they have endured for our country.

I am sure the OP did not mean any disrespect by starting this thread.

I think it gives those that want to share a thread to do so, and it will allow all of us
to recognize and remember in the future what some of our fellow ARFCOM'mers
have been through.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#40]
i just want to say to all who serve and served, thank you!

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I don't like it.

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#42]
How many vets answered they do not like this thread?  Not many.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or they just can't seem to learn how to shut the fuck up... I know plenty of those guys.
"Hey dude, wanna see my scar?"

Umm... no.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Lots of PTSD in this thread.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-rb

Have you tried sleeping with some kind of background noise?  I need a fan in the room or the church bells keep me up too.  Guys who have it worse than me apparently get some help from a radio set on static.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I like hearing the stories.  To some, maybe that comes off as disrespectful, but I'll listen to anyone willing to talk about their experiences.  I don't go around asking, mind you, but I have a friend who is crippled for life due to an IED, and a couple who lost their lives.  War is an ugly thing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#47]
A goat bit my no no off, after that I never left the house without my interpreter.

Who would have thought they had a "wrong end"?

ETA: This happened during a secret mission to Mexico (off-limits) on a search for Princess Sarah Veza.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-rb

Have you tried sleeping with some kind of background noise?  I need a fan in the room or the church bells keep me up too.  Guys who have it worse than me apparently get some help from a radio set on static.

Due to our AC unit running 24/7 in our room, it's hard to fall asleep without some kind of background noise.  Silence is too deafening and feels weird.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Close RPG impact.  

The blast shoved two terps, a street source and myself under a station wagon for a second.

The rocket wasn't in slow-motion like in the movies, it was pretty fucking fast.  

I was trying to shoot the guy with the launcher, but my brain registered the information faster than my hands could work my weapon.

Long story short: I'm sprayed with metal and asphalt down the right side of my body, the two air guards in the back of a nearby Stryker are deaf and my M203 grenadier is pasted with the worst of it down his back.  The street source and terps are shielded mostly by my armor, however one of the terps takes a nickel-sized piece in the neck.

I got lucky, they just pulled out pieces the size of pencil erasers and a 4-inch metal rod from my right forearm.

The worst part: My grenadier was smeared with everything from metal dust all the way up to silver-dollar-sized aluminum from one of our raid ladders.

A couple of months later and we were still finding metal that just naturally worked it's way out.  

Me? I just eventually learned to take it easy with my washcloth before it found a snag while I was scrubbing in the shower.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Why the fuck is everyone so butt hurt?  If you don't want to answer, then don't.  The man just asked for information.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top