Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/15/2011 7:39:27 PM EDT
So it got brought up in conversation the other day that people outside of West Virginia are unfamiliar with the delicious food item known as a pepperoni roll.

This was baffling to me and I had trouble believing that it was actually true. I asked my sister who goes to school in NC and she said she had, in fact, met people who did not know what they were.

To me, that would be like not knowing what a sandwich is. I consider them a basic staple food.

Do people outside the state not eat them, or do they just have a different name?

It's basically a dinner roll that is hollow and filled with cheese and pepperoni.

Here's a pic I got off of google. I was going to post pics of the ones my aunt made for me, but they weren't very photogenic so I just ate them.

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this like biscuits but with meat?
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Come to NY to learn what a real Roni Roll is... that looks like a fucking hotpocket.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Got 'em here in OH. One of my favorite foods, matter of fact.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Love those things. But yet I grew up in VA 5 minutes from WV line
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

More like a dinner roll.

I stole this from Wiki

"The pepperoni roll was invented by Giuseppe "Joseph" Argiro at the Country Club Bakery in Fairmont, West Virginia, in 1927.[5] The rolls originated as a lunch option for the coal miners of north-central West Virginia in the first half of the 20th century.[1][6] Pepperoni rolls do not need to be refrigerated for storage and could readily be packed for lunch by miners. Pepperoni and other Italian foods became popular in north-central West Virginia in the early 20th century, when the booming mines and railroads attracted many immigrants from Italy.[1] The pepperoni roll bears a resemblance to the pasty and sausage roll, which originated in the mining communities of Great Britain, as well as to the Italian calzone. "
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#6]
The ones i see when im in WV look really nasty because their just loose rolls in a bag. They never looked too appitizing.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#7]

You learn well westerned virginia comrade. That is soviet Piroshki. Much better than capitalist western hot pocket.

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

More like a dinner roll.

I stole this from Wiki

"The pepperoni roll was invented by Giuseppe "Joseph" Argiro at the Country Club Bakery in Fairmont, West Virginia, in 1927.[5] The rolls originated as a lunch option for the coal miners of north-central West Virginia in the first half of the 20th century.[1][6] Pepperoni rolls do not need to be refrigerated for storage and could readily be packed for lunch by miners. Pepperoni and other Italian foods became popular in north-central West Virginia in the early 20th century, when the booming mines and railroads attracted many immigrants from Italy.[1] The pepperoni roll bears a resemblance to the pasty and sausage roll, which originated in the mining communities of Great Britain, as well as to the Italian calzone. "

For the lazy amongst us, we usually just get Tostinos pizza rolls. Yeah, I know it ain't as delicious as that but when you're drunk and you've got a box of 80 perfect bite sized sober up rolls, it's hard to beat that.

Homemade pizza rolls are the bomb. And I prefer it slightly doughy as well.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
never seen such an animal, but it looks good.

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Come to NY to learn what a real Roni Roll is... that looks like a fucking hotpocket.

Yeah.

Not selling it.

My woman unit will roll up homemade pizza dough with mozz, pepperoni, prosciutto, basil and goat cheese into heaven in a roll

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah... invented in 1927 in WV... by an Italian... not like meat breads of many varities hadn't been popular in Italy for centuries.

Guessing somebody brought it over from the old country and said... these WV hicks have never seen anything like this, I'll make a fortune selling it to the miners!
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Pacifico's Bakery in Altoona PA makes a fine pepperoni roll.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:49:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I know what a WV pepperoni roll is like you know what a hodag is.  (Without looking it up)
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Lots of things going on in West Virginia that people outside the state are unaware of.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Pepperoni rolls are italian rolls baked with chunks of pepperoni inside, not thin slices of pepperoni rolled in to the dough. Hillbilly roni rolls are fail.  There's an Italian bakery a few blocks away that sells them hot out of the oven late night (about 1:30am) out their side door. A favorite of nighthawks.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:52:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Never heard of them living in 6 different states.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Nope, never seen one in a roll. But I've seen many a pizza stick...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Never heard of them either, and I almost thought this was going to be a thread about Totino's Pizza Rolls.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Never heard of them either, and I almost thought this was going to be a thread about Totino's Pizza Rolls.

I wont eat those sober.

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
never seen such an animal, but it looks good.

This.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Since well over 40% of adults in WV eventually have all their teeth extracted soft foods they can gum become popular favorites...
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Had them in PA, had them in in VA, made them in MI.

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I've had them at a few gas and go places here in Mississippi that had fry kitchens/ heat lamp farms.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:59:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Got them here in MI.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Pepperoni rolls are italian rolls baked with chunks of pepperoni inside, not thin slices of pepperoni rolled in to the dough. Hillbilly roni rolls are fail.

We've got lots of varieties!

Such as chunky pepperoni vs. sliced. And regular cheese vs. pepperjack cheese.

Then you've got restaurant pepperoni rolls, which are hot and better vs. gas station pepperoni rolls which are cold and in a bag.

Actually that's pretty much most of the varieties.

If you make them at home you can get real crazy like my aunt does and dice the pepperoni into little chunks and use two kinds of cheese.

Seriously, they are so prevalent here, as in multiple varieties and brands in every gas station, I thought they must be somewhat available on "the outside."

Also, I had no idea what a hodag is. At least pepperoni rolls aren't mythical

ETA: I guessed hodag was a type of hot dog.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#27]
We can get them certain places here in Ohio.

It's possibly the only one good thing that appalachia has ever done for us, as a state.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Id eat that but sure as shit is not something I have ever seen on the wast coast.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#29]
HODAGS ARE REAL!!!!!

Just saying each state or region has something that no one else in the country has ever heard of...
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wont eat those sober.

You can eat them sober?
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Never heard of it, but the concept is simple.  It's like a slice of pizza rolled up in a tube.

I've heard of pizza rolls, so I guess they're the same thing.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wont eat those sober.

You can eat them sober?

I can't seem to.

I avoid frozen food in general but for some reason once I'm drunk I eat the most disgusting crap

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

This... but needs sauce.

Therefore I'm more of a calzone type.

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#34]
They are popular In PA as far north as lake Erie.  A lot of schools sell them as fund raisers.  I have a box in the freezer from one now.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Never heard of it, but the concept is simple.  It's like a slice of pizza rolled up in a tube.

Nope. Pepperoni rolls don't have any pizza sauce.

They're usually more in a dinner roll type bread than a pizza dough. Some place use pizza dough though and that works well too.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This... but needs sauce.

Calzones don't have sauce, sauce is on the side and you dip or pour on the top. Seriously, who are you people?
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. Pepperoni rolls don't have any pizza sauce.

They're usually more in a dinner roll type bread than a pizza dough. Some place use pizza dough though and that works well too.

Neva hoid o' them then.

Have you ever heard of Cincinnati chili?  It's heaven in a can.  Even better when you cook it yourself from a good recipe (except then it's not from a can, but you get the idea).
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Cleveland doesn't have a lot of good stuff, but we do have little Italy. There you can get super awesome pepperoni rolls fresh from the oven.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I see your roll and raise you a pinwheel. Ham pinwheels can be good too.

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#41]

Incorrect, it is a question of proportion. A Roni Roll is around the size of a crescent roll, a Stromboli is larger, typically has more ingredients although not required to. Roni Rolls are typically softer, whereas a Stromboli has a crispier outer crust usually resulting from the dough being glazed with olive oil and browning.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm in western PA north of Pittsburgh, and I know what they are.  Every convenience store, gas station and grocery store around here sells roni rolls.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This... but needs sauce.

Calzones don't have sauce, sauce is on the side and you dip or pour on the top. Seriously, who are you people?

Buffalo:  Awesome Pizza.  Awesome wings.

Everything else?  Fucked right in the butt.

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Got them here in MI.

yep, and Julian Bros. bakery makes a fine one
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This... but needs sauce.

Buffalo:  Awesome Pizza.  Awesome wings.

Everything else?  Fucked right in the butt.

Buffalo has awesome wings, their pizza sucks ass. Go down to NYC or Oneonta, NY for good pizza. Here's a hint, it is the water that makes all the difference. Semolina flour, and water from the Catskills (NYC watershed) makes the perfect thin crust pizza. Crispy and chewy at the same time, the sauce does not saturate it, can hold an impressive volume of cheese and toppings. The guys in Oneonta make amazing pizza because they are from NYC and are serving the huge population of LI kids at the State University. I know of a couple of the pizza shops that actually ship in water from the NYC watershed so they can make a true NYC thin crust. I'm telling you, its the water and the flour.

Buffalo pizza, no thanks. Was there on business a couple weeks ago and tried a few places over the past 4 months. None any good. The wings however... zomg, garloc teriyaki! I was in heaven off of those!
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got them here in MI.

You Michigan guys probably stole one of our chefs in an underhanded deal right before the Fiesta Bowl.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Easter has Easter Egg Rolls.

Is a Pepperoni Roll a Columbus Day Festivity event?
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got them here in MI.

You Michigan guys probably stole one of our chefs in an underhanded deal right before the Fiesta Bowl.

dont forget your piece of shit coach
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:39:11 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Love those things. But yet I grew up in VA 5 minutes from WV line

Same but I learned of pepperoni rolls from frequently visiting a town in SW Virginia.

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 4:20:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top