Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/20/2011 5:06:58 PM EDT
I am about to fo to a stakeout at one of my parents rental properties. We have little bastard kids (14-16 year old) trespassing and damaging property.

Can I legally detain one of them before calling the cops? I have one pair of cuffs and am trained in using them (military police). I don't plan on drawing a gun or anything stupid like that. I will use the use of force model.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Only if you dress up like the dude in your avatar. Sword and all.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Only if you dress up like the dude in your avatar. Sword and all.

Will consider.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#3]
yeah, thats called kidnapping

pretty sure you could tell them to stay where they were, and if you did it in a commanding voice and with a bright light kids might stay

dont try and physically stop them...
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#4]
rape him,

ya I said it,

What is he going to do? Tell his friends? That would make him the fag.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not an expert but putting your hands on minors isn't going to turn out well
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope that's a joke. I can only imagine the fun of explaining to the kids parents why you cuffed them and then justifying it to the judge.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
rape him,

ya I said it,

That'll learn em.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I didn't think it was a good idea...

I will just call the 5-0 and hope their response time is good.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I hope that's a joke. I can only imagine the fun of explaining to the kids parents why you cuffed them and then justifying it to the judge.

Parents are likely meth abusing scum.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Citizens arrests are legal if a crime is commited in your presence. You CAN physicaly detain someone...regardless of age. Just make sure you can PROVE they were committing the crime....thats the kicker...
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Citizens arrests are legal if a crime is commited in your presence. You CAN physicaly detain someone...regardless of age. Just make sure you can PROVE they were committing the crime....thats the kicker...

Trespass is civil. Not a crime. You CANNOT detain. Even LE cant detain purely for trespass. eta: Unless a warning has been previously issued.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#12]
This has potential...
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#13]
yup im in!
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#14]
normally i would say knock yourself out but do not handcuff a minor
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trespass is civil. Not a crime. You CANNOT detain. Even LE cant detain purely for trespass.

Varies by state. It's a crime here.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you provide a link to this law? Any State will do.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am about to fo to a stakeout at one of my parents rental properties. We have little bastard kids (14-16 year old) trespassing and damaging property.

Can I legally detain one of them before calling the cops? I have one pair of cuffs and am trained in using them (military police). I don't plan on drawing a gun or anything stupid like that. I will use the use of force model.

Castle Doctrine.

Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
rape him,

ya I said it,

this made me lol

Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Trespass is one thing... Breaking and Entering is something else entirely.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Situation too dangerous for any civillian, call the military or the A-Team.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Castle Doctrine.

Yep, so you better shoot them.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Some states have laws about unlawful detention or a similar name. I'd get the specifics for your state lest you wind up in the pokey.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#23]
i know of a guy where I grew up who grabbed a 14 year old who was toilet papering his house.
the guy tied the kid up and called the cops.
the cops were not happy when they found the tied-up kid.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Avatar is a pic of me drawing down on a scumbag up on my roof.  This lasted about 10 minutes till the cops arrived and arrested him.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Have you ever seen True Lies?

You're Arnold.  They're Bill Paxton.

Get the picture?
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You'd have to be crazy to do that.

Seriously, you'll be the one in jail, not the kid.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd personally buy myself a nice high fps paintball gun, take up a good hide position, and...
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#28]
If you are a private citizen, do not attempt to forcibly detain anyone, except under the most extreme circumstances.
Hold them at gunpoint but if they run, they run.
Also, I would not advise you to attempt to handcuff someone by yourself, for safety reasons.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

rape him,

ya I said it,

Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I think instead of getting cops involved Id get a few friends together and get all dressed up like some crazy serial killers and chase them around scaring the living shit out of them
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think instead of getting cops involved Id get a few friends together and get all dressed up like some crazy serial killers and chase them around scaring the living shit out of them

Do it naked....
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Be a good witness.  Tell them to leave the property immediately and call the police.

Unless you have seen them commit a violent crime, detaining someone is asking for trouble big-time.

Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do it naked....

Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trespass is civil. Not a crime. You CANNOT detain. Even LE cant detain purely for trespass.

Varies by state. It's a crime here.

Force after dark?  Doesn't Texas law state the dusk to dawn laws?  Detention in Texas may not be necessary.

Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#35]
we had a similar situation on my friends property

kids were tearing up his property on atvs

we heard 'em coming one day and trotted out in the woods with his sks and waited for them to stop and start bullshitting

my friend looked at me an winked and started screaming "NO   NO   PLEASE GOD N ...."   boom boom boom

he laid on his back and i grabbed his wrist ...

i drug him about 20 feet across an opening that the kids could see from their location ...

i drug him fast and was tucked down tight like i was trying to hide ...

as soon as i was across the opening they fired those bikes up and we have never seen them since ...

have fun with it
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Video

Is your friend.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#37]
you take a camera with you.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

we heard 'em coming one day and trotted out in the woods with his sks and waited for them to stop and start bullshitting

my friend looked at me an winked and started screaming "NO   NO   PLEASE GOD N ...."   boom boom boom

i drug him about 20 feet across an opening that the kids could see from their location ...

as soon as i was across the opening they fired those bikes up and we have never seen them since ...

have fun with it

lol. that is funny..OP just be creative and come up with something to get the message across.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Trespassing? Probably not. Breaking & Entering... good to fo.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Avatar is a pic of me drawing down on a scumbag up on my roof.  This lasted about 10 minutes till the cops arrived and arrested him.

I remember the thread and video.

Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Situation too dangerous for any civillian, call the military or the A-Team.

No, call Seal Team 6, just to be safe.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do it naked....

Covered in Crisco....
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Banjos
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You can ask them to do anything you'd like, and depending on the way that you ask they just might do it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

have fun with it

lol. that is funny..OP just be creative and come up with something to get the message across.

Creative ambiguity.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#46]
I would not call the police or detain the youth, but I would need a replacement fox pepper spray canister; perhaps even several.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Take a camera, get their picture.

Then at least you have proof the kids were on the property and had been told to leave and not come back, they were tresspassing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
yeah, thats called kidnapping

pretty sure you could tell them to stay where they were, and if you did it in a commanding voice and with a bright light kids might stay
dont try and physically stop them...

Most states call it False Imprisonment. A unlawful detention of the person of another, for any length of time, whereby such person is deprived of his personal liberty.

If you try to take them anywhere THEN it's called Kidnapping.if any person, without lawful authority, forcibly seizes and confines another, or inveigles or kidnaps another, with intent, either:

■To cause such other person to be confined or imprisoned in this state against the will of the other person; or
■To cause such other person to be sent out of this state against the will of the other person; or
■To cause such person to be sold as a slave, or in any way held to service against the will of such person,
Such person shall be guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment in the custody of the Department of Corrections for a term not exceeding twenty years.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#49]

Since tomorrow is the rapture...

You should trot around naked and tell them your a machine from the future...you know something along those lines.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#50]
is the property posted "no trespassing"?

no cuffs or physical contact,LOUD VIOLENT sounding verbal commands might get you the desired results
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top