Page / 2
Posted: 4/29/2011 6:48:04 AM EDT
News Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 19, 2011
Number: (202) 307-7977

Over 5,300 Sites Join DEA Nationwide Effort
to Take-Back Prescription Drugs on April 30th

(WASHINGTON, D.C.) – The Drug Enforcement Administration’s (DEA’s)
second National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day is this Saturday, April 30th. More than 5,300 sites nationwide have joined the effort that seeks to prevent pill abuse and theft. This is hundreds more sites than were established for the event last fall. The free event will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. local time.

Government, community, public health and law enforcement partners at these sites will be working together to collect expired, unused, and unwanted prescription drugs that are potentially dangerous if left in the family’s medicine cabinet.

Last September, Americans turned in over 242,000 pounds—121 tons—of prescription drugs at nearly 4,100 sites operated by more than 3,000 of the DEA’s state and local law enforcement partners. Also last fall, Congress passed the Safe and Secure Drug Disposal Act of 2010, which amends the Controlled Substances Act to allow users of controlled substance medications to dispose of them by delivering them to entities authorized by the Attorney General to accept them. The Act also allows the Attorney General to authorize long term care facilities to dispose of their residents’ controlled substances in certain instances. DEA is presently drafting regulations to implement the Act.

Collection sites in every local community can be found by going to www.dea.gov and clicking on the “Got Drugs?” banner at the top of the home page, which connects to a database that citizens can search by zip code, city or county. This site is continuously updated with new take-back locations. In addition, interested media can now go to: www.nationaltakebackday.com to download a public service announcement about the initiative.

This initiative addresses a vital public safety and public health issue. Medicines that languish in home cabinets are highly susceptible to diversion, misuse, and abuse. Rates of prescription drug abuse in the U.S. are alarmingly high—more Americans currently abuse prescription drugs than the number of those using cocaine, hallucinogens, and heroin combined, according to the 2009 National Survey on Drug Use and Health. Studies show that individuals that abuse prescription drugs often obtained them from family and friends, including from the home medicine cabinet. In addition, many Americans do not know how to properly dispose of their unused medicine, often flushing them down the toilet or throwing them away – both potential safety and health hazards.

“The overwhelming public response to DEA's first nationwide Take-Back event last fall not only rid homes of potentially harmful prescription drugs, but was an unprecedented opportunity to educate everyone about the growing prescription drug abuse problem," said DEA Administrator Michele Leonhart. “Studies have shown that, for many, prescription drugs are the very first drugs they abuse—and all too often they aren’t the last. That is why we are committed to helping Americans keep their homes safe by ridding their medicine cabinets of expired, unused, and unwanted drugs.”

“I encourage every American to take advantage of this valuable opportunity to safely dispose of unused, un-needed, or expired prescription drugs,” said Gil Kerlikowkse, Director of National Drug Control Policy.  “Preventing these readily available and potentially deadly drugs from being diverted and misused is something each and every one of us can do to help reduce the epidemic of prescription drug abuse that is harming so many Americans.”    

Other participants in this initiative include the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy; the American Association of Poison Control Centers; the Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America; D.A.R.E. America; the Federation of State Medical Boards; the U. S. Health Resources and Services Administration; the International Association of Chiefs of Police; the National Association of Attorneys General; the National Family Partnership; the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives; the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy; the National District Attorneys Association; the National Sheriffs Association; and The Partnership at Drugfree.org.

link to press release

I figured this was ok to post in it's entirety as it is a press release from a federal agency and meant to be distributed, and not copyrighted materiel.

Mods, if need to edit, feel free to.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:52:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I heard on the news that the gov considers prescription drug abuse worse than the crack epidemic of the 90's.  Just sayin.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:53:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Fuck that.

Do not invite the MAN into your life.

Throw them in the trash.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:53:21 AM EDT
[#3]
ok.

so, what happens if someone brings in a whole bunch of illegal substances?  is it a no-questions-asked type of event?  what if someone gets caught driving to the event with drugs not prescribed to them but they want to turn in?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:57:32 AM EDT
[#4]
"I have 60 Perocet and 30 Vicoden's I'd like to turn in"

"Sir, please come with us."

END.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:59:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

I fully agree with that rule, but this is a bit complicated:

The problem with flushing or burying medicines is that they end up in the water supply.

Do you have any idea how much prozac is floating around most city water supplies?  Its a lot more than I'm comfortable with.

I'm not sure what the best way to render the medicines inert would be, probably an intense heat such as you would find at the center of a large bonfire, but that might make them airborne.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:00:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Betcha drug dealers will just hang out outside the the door and offer the patients $ for the pills
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:01:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

The problem with flushing or burying medicines is that they end up in the water supply.

Do you have any idea how much prozac is floating around most city water supplies?  Its a lot more than I'm comfortable with.

I'm not sure what the best way to render the medicines inert would be, probably an intense heat such as you would find at the center of a large bonfire, but that might make them airborne.

I didn't say "flush them", I said throw them in the trash.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:02:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm OK with it.  Responsible self-regulation is always preferable to the alternative.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:03:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"I have 60 Perocet and 30 Vicoden's I'd like to turn in"

"Sir, please come with us." Please place the medication in this special Hazardous Wasted..er, waste bag, dude. Er, sir.

END.

Lots of garbagemen gonna be having a mighty fine weekend
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:05:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

Do you have any idea how much prozac is floating around most city water supplies?  Its a lot more than I'm comfortable with.I'm not sure what the best way to render the medicines inert would be, probably an intense heat such as you would find at the center of a large bonfire, but that might make them airborne.

Is there any truth to this? I've always equated it to NYC sewer alligators.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:06:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

Don't flush them.  Burn them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:07:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

Please (as a pharmacist) do not flush pills down the toilet. Just what you want, man boobs because grandma is flushing her estrogen pills into your water supply.

Crush or destroy the pills,  put in sealable container mixed with something that no one will want to be rifling through and toss with the trash.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:08:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

I was gonna say the same thing, BUT send them to me, as long as it is some good shit
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:09:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I heard on the news that the gov considers prescription drug abuse worse than the crack epidemic of the 90's.  Just sayin.

There are two key words in your post.  They are as follows.  The first one is the word government and the second is the word considers.
This is another smoke screen for something or maybe an agency with nothing to do.  Most likely both of the above.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:09:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

Do you have any idea how much prozac is floating around most city water supplies? Its a lot more than I'm comfortable with.

No, it does not.  A lined, properly-maintained landfill will keep them just fine.  But even then drugs will still go down the toilet because people excrete unmetabolized drugs every time they pee.

And do you have any idea how much Prozac is in the water supply, because I haven't seen any legitimate numbers –– just frantic hand-waving from the usual suspects.  If it's in the parts-per-trillion range then a person would have to drink hundreds of gallons a day just to get the equivalent of a single dose.   It's not a public health risk by any stretch of the imagination.

I can see the advantages of having a system to properly dispose of prescription drugs with a high potential for abuse, but taking your ibuprofen to the cops for disposal is idiotic and unnecessary.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:09:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

Do you have any idea how much prozac is floating around most city water supplies? Its a lot more than I'm comfortable with.

Don't flush them. Burn them.

Improper incineration can create toxic by-products.  Just sayin'.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:11:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

Do you have any idea how much prozac is floating around most city water supplies?  Its a lot more than I'm comfortable with.I'm not sure what the best way to render the medicines inert would be, probably an intense heat such as you would find at the center of a large bonfire, but that might make them airborne.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-03-10-drugs-tap-water_N.htm

Not specifying prozac outright, but yes-there are detectable amounts of meds in many water supplies.

Some are unavoidable. You take the meds, some get pissed or shat out totally unchanged or only metabolized to something still active.

Some are avoidable-grandma dies and the grandkids flush her cabinet of meds down the toilet.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:12:35 AM EDT
[#18]
How about a national "Take our Money Back from the DEA" day to make up for their decades-long failure called the WODs.

That's something I could get behind.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:12:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

Please (as a pharmacist) do not flush pills down the toilet. Just what you want, man boobs because grandma is flushing her estrogen pills into your water supply.

Crush or destroy the pills, put in sealable container mixed with something that no one will want to be rifling through and toss with the trash.

Well, as a pharmacist, you should know that grandma is already putting estrogen into the water supply every time she pees.  

There is no evidence that public water supplies are at risk due to drugs in the water.  There is a lot of speculation and hyperventilating by groups seeking a new issue with which they can scare the hell out of people, but I've seen very little evidence of an actual, tangible, risk.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:19:30 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

Do you have any idea how much prozac is floating around most city water supplies? Its a lot more than I'm comfortable with.I'm not sure what the best way to render the medicines inert would be, probably an intense heat such as you would find at the center of a large bonfire, but that might make them airborne.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-03-10-drugs-tap-water_N.htm

Not specifying prozac outright, but yes-there are detectable amounts of meds in many water supplies.

Some are unavoidable. You take the meds, some get pissed or shat out totally unchanged or only metabolized to something still active.

Some are avoidable-grandma dies and the grandkids flush her cabinet of meds down the toilet.

True, but this is the key point:

To be sure, the concentrations of these pharmaceuticals are tiny, measured in quantities of parts per billion or trillion, far below the levels of a medical dose. Also, utilities insist their water is safe.

With modern analytical machine you can detect pretty much any chemical anywhere.  It doesn't mean it's a hazard to your health.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:20:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Haha!  I worked this silliness last year, and it was rated as a great success because of the massive weight of "drugs" turned in.

Know what almost all of it was?

Expired vitamins, flu vaccine, Pedialyte, Robitussin, Tylenol, Neosporin, etc., mostly turned in by clinics, urgent care facilities, and the like, who were delighted to have a place to dispose of old meds free of charge.

It's a colossal joke.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:41:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

No, it does not.  A lined, properly-maintained landfill will keep them just fine.  But even then drugs will still go down the toilet because people excrete unmetabolized drugs every time they pee.

And do you have any idea how much Prozac is in the water supply, because I haven't seen any legitimate numbers –– just frantic hand-waving from the usual suspects.  If it's in the parts-per-trillion range then a person would have to drink hundreds of gallons a day just to get the equivalent of a single dose.   It's not a public health risk by any stretch of the imagination.

I can see the advantages of having a system to properly dispose of prescription drugs with a high potential for abuse, but taking your ibuprofen to the cops for disposal is idiotic and unnecessary.
I grew up in a house that was on well water, near a landfill.  

One failure of that liner could have contaminated our water supply, but you are probably content to toss meds in the trash because you are not in that situation.

The bottom line here is that not enough studies are done to really know if the trace amounts of pharmaceuticals in our water can have negative affects on us, and personally, I would rather err on the side of caution until we are sure.

I never once suggested taking an OTC med to the cops for disposal, but I do absolutely believe that proper disposal of prescription medications is the responsible thing to do.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:42:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Haha!  I worked this silliness last year, and it was rated as a great success because of the massive weight of "drugs" turned in.

Expired vitamins, flu vaccine, Pedialyte, Robitussin, Tylenol, Neosporin, etc., mostly turned in by clinics, urgent care facilities, and the like, who were delighted to have a place to dispose of old meds free of charge.

It's a colossal joke.

This.

It's a .gov project, so you know it's political and a complete cluster-fuck.  They always are.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:51:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

No, it does not. A lined, properly-maintained landfill will keep them just fine. But even then drugs will still go down the toilet because people excrete unmetabolized drugs every time they pee.

And do you have any idea how much Prozac is in the water supply, because I haven't seen any legitimate numbers –– just frantic hand-waving from the usual suspects. If it's in the parts-per-trillion range then a person would have to drink hundreds of gallons a day just to get the equivalent of a single dose. It's not a public health risk by any stretch of the imagination.

One failure of that liner could have contaminated our water supply, but you are probably content to toss meds in the trash because you are not in that situation.

The bottom line here is that not enough studies are done to really know if the trace amounts of pharmaceuticals in our water can have negative affects on us, and personally, I would rather err on the side of caution until we are sure.

I never once suggested taking an OTC med to the cops for disposal, but I do absolutely believe that proper disposal of prescription medications is the responsible thing to do.

A failure of a liner at your local landfill will probably put much more nasty chemicals than Prozac into your water supply.  Out of curiosity, do you have it tested yearly and have you noticed any issues with other contaminants?

Trace amounts of any chemical are irrelevant.  Everything depends on the dose –– including hormones –– and just because there is a chemical in your water supply doesn't mean it's hazardous to your health.

I could take a sample of your water today, and with sensitive enough equipment find arsenic, mercury, lead, pesticide residues, radioactive materials, and all sorts of other scary-sounding chemicals in it.  They won't affect your health unless the concentration becomes high enough to create a physiologically-significant reaction.

The Dose Makes the Poison.   Swallowing two aspirin will break your fever or get rid of your headache; swallowing a whole bottle will put you in the hospital –– if you survive.

And swallowing a tiny speck of aspirin left on your finger will do nothing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:54:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

No, it does not. A lined, properly-maintained landfill will keep them just fine. But even then drugs will still go down the toilet because people excrete unmetabolized drugs every time they pee.

And do you have any idea how much Prozac is in the water supply, because I haven't seen any legitimate numbers –– just frantic hand-waving from the usual suspects. If it's in the parts-per-trillion range then a person would have to drink hundreds of gallons a day just to get the equivalent of a single dose. It's not a public health risk by any stretch of the imagination.

A failure of a liner at your local landfill will probably put much more nasty chemicals than Prozac into your water supply.  Out of curiosity, do you have it tested yearly and have you noticed any issues with other contaminants?

Trace amounts of any chemical are irrelevant.  Everything depends on the dose –– including hormones –– and just because there is a chemical in your water supply doesn't mean it's hazardous to your health.

I could take a sample of your water today, and with sensitive enough equipment find arsenic, mercury, lead, pesticide residues, radioactive materials, and all sorts of other scary-sounding chemicals in it.  They won't affect your health unless the concentration becomes high enough to create a physiologically-significant reaction.

The Dose Makes the Poison.   Swallowing two aspirin will break your fever or get rid of your headache; swallowing a whole bottle will put you in the hospital –– if you survive.

Yes, we did get the well tested every single year.  Two years we had unusually high levels of something (I was young at the time) and the city forced the landfill to take some action (not sure what, I was probably 10 years old), and it got better.  

I think maybe you have this idea that I'm some hypochondriac who actually worries about what is in my water.  Its actually the opposite, I have a water filtration system and I'm confident in its performance, but I do believe that with matters like this, its better to err on the side of caution, that's all.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You can't back up such claims.
Just because there aren't immediate, obvious affects doesn't mean the long-term ingestion of a poupouri of man-made chemicals, even in minute quantities, doesn't have a health impact.

I'll agree that as far as priorities go, getting worked up about trace chemicals in your water supply is probably wasted time. But to say they absolutely don't matter... you can't prove that. Because it's never been proven.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:02:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

It is very true.  I was watching a show on discovery where they were testing city water.  They found everything from birth control hormones to opiates in the water system.  Albiet the levels with millions of times lower than anything that would affect you.  So they said anyway.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:02:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

A failure of a liner at your local landfill will probably put much more nasty chemicals than Prozac into your water supply. Out of curiosity, do you have it tested yearly and have you noticed any issues with other contaminants?

Trace amounts of any chemical are irrelevant. Everything depends on the dose –– including hormones –– and just because there is a chemical in your water supply doesn't mean it's hazardous to your health.

I could take a sample of your water today, and with sensitive enough equipment find arsenic, mercury, lead, pesticide residues, radioactive materials, and all sorts of other scary-sounding chemicals in it. They won't affect your health unless the concentration becomes high enough to create a physiologically-significant reaction.

The Dose Makes the Poison. Swallowing two aspirin will break your fever or get rid of your headache; swallowing a whole bottle will put you in the hospital –– if you survive.

Yes, we did get the well tested every single year. Two years we had unusually high levels of something (I was young at the time) and the city forced the landfill to take some action (not sure what, I was probably 10 years old), and it got better.

I think maybe you have this idea that I'm some hypochondriac who actually worries about what is in my water. Its actually the opposite, I have a water filtration system and I'm confident in its performance, but I do believe that with matters like this, its better to err on the side of caution, that's all.

Well, I will admit that I filter my tap water, too.  Not because I worry about chemical exposure –– I drink it from the tap every now and then when I'm too lazy to go downstairs to the refrigerator –– but because it tastes "earthy" and the filter takes the taste out.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trace amounts of any chemical are irrelevant. Everything depends on the dose –– including hormones –– and just because there is a chemical in your water supply doesn't mean it's hazardous to your health.

I could take a sample of your water today, and with sensitive enough equipment find arsenic, mercury, lead, pesticide residues, radioactive materials, and all sorts of other scary-sounding chemicals in it. They won't affect your health unless the concentration becomes high enough to create a physiologically-significant reaction.

Just because there aren't immediate, obvious affects doesn't mean the long-term ingestion of a poupouri of man-made chemicals, even in minute quantities, doesn't have a health impact.

I'll agree that as far as priorities go, getting worked up about trace chemicals in your water supply is probably wasted time. But to say they absolutely don't matter... you can't prove that. Because it's never been proven.

Yes, I can.  There is no scientific evidence that exposure to trace amounts of chemicals creates a signficiant health hazard.  The idea that tiny amounts of "man-made" chemicals can cause disease over time is nothing more than environmental homoepathy.

We are, and have been for decades, exposed to trace amounts of chemicals and radiation every single minute of every single day.  Yet studies show that our life expectancy continues to increase, and the cancer rate continues to decline.  The main threats to our health do not come from our environment but from our own excesses.  

If you want to live a long life, then just do what your Mom told you:

Eat your vegetables

Don't smoke

Don't drink

Go out and play

Find a nice girl and settle down

Take a bath regularly

and Wear your seat belt.

Do those things, and statistically-speaking you will be less likely to get cancer, or die of a heart attack, and statistically more likely to live past the average life expectancy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I can.  There is no scientific evidence that exposure to trace amounts of chemicals creates a signficiant health hazard.

You're a smart man. I know this from previous posts.
That being said, are you honestly arguing that because something hasn't been scientifically proven a threat, there's no way it could be?

Last time I checked, no-one's bothered to scientifically prove that the sun exists. So does that mean it's dark outside?

Use your head. We probably agree on how much a threat we feel such chemicals pose. But to say there's no way they could cause harm... utter nonsense.
Just because something isn't easily studied or quantifiable doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:21:23 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

Crush or destroy the pills, put in sealable container mixed with something that no one will want to be rifling through and toss with the trash.

Well, as a pharmacist, you should know that grandma is already putting estrogen into the water supply every time she pees.  

Already been covered chief. Need to read a little further.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

This.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#33]

Yes, I can.  There is no
scientific evidence that exposure to trace amounts of chemicals creates a
signficiant health hazard.  The idea that tiny amounts of "man-made"
chemicals can cause disease over time is nothing more than environmental
homoepathy.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence.
That is a VERY important distinction to make.
Before we understood radiation, radioactive material was in EVERYTHING (<- click link) from toothpaste to hair cream.  They had unshielded xray booths that you could use in the shoe store to see how your feet looked inside your shoes.
At that point many people said:  "Hey, scientists say its safe, they would know if its not.  NO ONE has proven its dangerous".
Then less than a decade later, science took a jump and we realized just how dangerous radiation can actually be.
With the drug issue, you have to worry not just about trace amounts of individual drugs, but about interactions occuring on the molecular level.  These interactions are not tested or understood currently, as a doctor would never advise you to take two drugs in tandem that are known to interact poorly...but in the water supply its an unknown.  Hundreds of possible interactions happening in trace amounts.
This is not yet studied enough to state what you stated, and you are wading deep into bad science to suggest that the absence of evidence is the evidence of absence.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Ahhh, nothing quite like a good ol' high quality, pharmaceutical grade buzz to keep the day goin' your way!

And I think, the crack epidemic has evolved nicely... dontcha' just love it when a plan comes together?!

The really good news is that 'herron' is making a big come back! Shhh, it supposed to be a secret. And, it's drug distribution network is even more sophisticated than evar!

Fuckin' 'aay America, more dope, more hope. Change is on the way...

DEA. Another politicized, bumbling, bureaucratic FUBAR agency.

Hey DEA... want some really good press? Arrest & deport every single illegal, 'undocumented' alien you find with dope in their pockets. Run the bus on an hourly schedule!

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

Crush or destroy the pills,  put in sealable container mixed with something that no one will want to be rifling through and toss with the trash.

How about tossing them a bucket of used motor oil? That'll take the 'buzz' out of 'em in a hurry!

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I could see that. Its pretty bad. Pill poppers are not very good for business.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Betcha drug dealers will just hang out outside the the door and offer the patients $ for the pills

Remember the guys that went to the gun buyback and bought guns before they were turned into the police?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:48:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

Call me ignorant, but why is toilet water ending up in my drinking water? Do they fish the turds out and send it back to my sink?  In all seriousness, I didn't know that treated water was used for drinking water.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

It's a colossal joke.

my shocked face

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:51:50 PM EDT
[#40]
I knew I shouldn't have commented on this thread for fear awakening the fates.

Guess who just got called and told go in and handle this tomorrow?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

I didn't say "flush them", I said throw them in the trash.

And he said "The problem with flushing or burying medicines"
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Can you get me some Viagra.
It's for a friend of mine.....really it is.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

well-confirmed.  if you fish near a city, chances are that any fish you catch will have a measurable amount of antidepressants in its system.  the director of our local water treatment plant works with our department, and loves to point out that birth control hormones in the water supply increase by an order of magnitude when the two local universities are in session.  those compounds are extremely difficult to remove.

if you're drinking municipal tap water or most types of bottled water, you're ingesting a substantial dose of prescription drugs, estrogen, and other endocrine disruptors.

http://researchmagazine.uga.edu/summer2005/printprozac.htm

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/discoblog/2008/12/02/prozac-ocean-fish-absorb-our-drugs-and-suffer-for-it/

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

landfills aren't wastewater processing sites, and the wastewater issue is the crux of the problem.  there's a reason that fish are literally changing their biological sex in some areas––endocrine disruption due to petrochemicals, household chemicals, and prescription meds in the sewage system.  

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/01/070122-sex-change.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-396612/Third-male-fish-rivers-changing-sex.html

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

HA HA HA the hairy hand of the man just reached out to hand you your Karma gift.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

Call me ignorant, but why is toilet water ending up in my drinking water? Do they fish the turds out and send it back to my sink?  

Pretty much.

Never taken a tour of a waste water treatment plant?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Yes, I can.  There is no scientific evidence that exposure to trace amounts of chemicals creates a signficiant health hazard.

really?  because that's at odds with a well-developed body of scientific literature:
More recent studies have further demonstrated the importance

of endocrine disruption in wildlife populations.

For example, marine gastropods exposed to tributyltins,

which leach from certain antifouling paints and PVC

pipes, experienced severe population declines and reproductive

disorders including imposex (development of

male sex characteristics in females)
(Gibbs et al., 1991).

In some amphibian populations, supernumerary limbs

and missing limbs have been attributed to certain pesticides

and other anthropogenic chemicals (Ouellet et al.,

1997; Sparling, 2000). In particular, trace concentrations

of the widely used herbicide atrazine have been associated

with endocrine disruption in frogs from the Midwestern

United States (Hayes et al., 2002). Degradation

products from the widely used alkylphenol polyethoxylate

(APE) surfactants, which are ubiquitous contaminants

of wastewater treatment plant effluents, have been

shown to be estrogenic
(Mueller and Kim 1978; White

et al, 1994; Routledge and Sumpter 1997; Giesy et al.,

2000) and bioaccumulative (Ahel et al., 1993; Liber et

al., 1999; Lye et al., 1999; Snyder et al., 2001a). In the

1990s, reports from the United Kingdom and the United

States indicated that fish living below wastewater treatment

plants had several reproductive abnormalities
(Bevans

et al., 1996; Folmar et al., 1996; Harries et al., 1996;

Purdom et al., 1994; Jobling et al., 1998). These reproductive

abnormalities included changes in the levels of

sex steroids, gonadal histology (e.g., hemaphrodism and

intersex), and increased levels of the female egg yolk precursor,

vitellogenin, in male fish.

Collectively, these impacts

of wastewater effluent on male fish are referred to

as feminization because fish that are genetically male exhibit

female sex characteristics.

http://blog.thatsnatural.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/EES-review-2003.pdf

you are, i trust, familiar with the concepts of bioaccumulation and trophic levels, correct?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#48]
No one turns in the good stuff. This is why you only see broken high points and old single shot 12 gauge shotguns at gun buybacks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:54:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No one turns in the good stuff. This is why you only see broken high points and old single shot 12 gauge shotguns at gun buybacks.

I've seen some nice one's come in every now and then.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck that.

Throw them in the trash.

Call me ignorant, but why is toilet water ending up in my drinking water? Do they fish the turds out and send it back to my sink?  

Pretty much.

Never taken a tour of a waste water treatment plant?

Nope, and I really don't think I want to.  Kind of like eating sausage, but I have no desire to see it made
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top