Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 15
Posted: 3/26/2011 6:49:04 PM EDT
Although I do not carry open and I do believe fore warned is fore armed and I don't want to alert a bad guy that I have a weapon what this guy did was legal.

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2011/03/25/philadelphia-police-threaten-to-kill-open-carrier/  

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The guy was argumentative. He may have been in the right as far as being able to carry, but you don't stand there and argue with an officer who is giving you instructions.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The guy was argumentative. He may have been in the right as far as being able to carry, but you don't stand there and argue with an officer who is giving you instructions.

What if the officer is wrong?

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And we're off!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell it to the judge.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is proving that you are right worth getting shot over?
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually, PA law says no open carry in class 1 cities.  Those would be Philly and Pittsburgh.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Why is an officer pointing his gun at people safer than a gentleman holding a legal pistol in a holster...

Our system is fucked.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Watch the video...

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/best-defense-open-carry/8460/

He's lucky he didn't get shot and he's not getting paid....
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Watch the video...

Did you watch more than the first :15?

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Actually, PA law says no open carry in class 1 cities.  Those would be Philly and Pittsburgh.

Actually it says no open carry in a class 1 city (meaning Philadelphia) without LTCF (aka ccl).
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Actually, PA law says no open carry in class 1 cities Without a LCTF.  Those would be Philly and Pittsburgh.

Fixed it.

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You can OC in Philly if you have a license to carry firearms.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is proving that you are right worth getting shot over?

No.  I should have clarified.  If an officer is giving me instructions over the sights of his pistol, I'm going to follow said instructions.  If we're both still holstered I may stand there and discuss the situation.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:08:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Sue them
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

100% in agreement with you but Philly cops know it is legal to open carry as long as you have a Carry License.

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then it gets settled after the fact. Until then, you comply with instructions, not stand there and argue with the officer.

Quoted:
... but Philly cops know it is legal to open carry as long as you have a Carry License.

Apparently they don't, because the officer says right in the audio that he can't get an answer from anyone he is checking with.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I believe that is not true, if you have a carry license I'm pretty sure it exempts

you.

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Those cops sure showed him some "brotherly love".
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I watched an episode of that show and when the guy said birdshot was good for self defense I turned the channel.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Watch the video...

There are at least 6 cases where police detained or arrested open carriers in Pa that got paid and were not put through what this guy was, he's getting paid big on this one.

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then it gets settled after the fact. Until then, you comply with instructions, not stand there and argue with the officer.

As stated above, if the officer has drawn his pistol I will comply without argument.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

... but Philly cops know it is legal to open carry as long as you have a Carry License.

Apparently they don't, because the officer says right in the audio that he can't get an answer from anyone he is checking with.
Yep the man with the star and loaded gun pointing at my center mass is always right & I would comply with his instructions to the letter.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Open carry as political activism is so 2009.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Pretty funny at around 5:00 when they find the guy’s recorder.  I’m just glad they didn’t know how to turn it off.  LOL To top it all off they were all concerned it was a “set up” which made it obviously they knew they were doing something wrong.

sucks to be caught in the act

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

So, we get to have cops threaten people with death out of ignorance and we are supposed to just go along with it?  Yea, that doesn't seem like a problem at all.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, we get to have cops threaten people with death out of ignorance and we are supposed to just go along with it?  Yea, that doesn't seem like a problem at all.

"Only Ones" syndrome.  Quite common in larger cities.

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Cops should be demoted and have their pay docked which should be direct deposited into the victims account.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Cop was wrong.  Philly PD is very much anti gun just like the city they represent.  Individual officers may feel different but it seems that the PD policies for issuing LTCF (which go against state law) and understanding PA law is ridiculous.  

Guy was too argumentative.  He should have shut up, let the cop do his job (wrongly I might add), and then gotten one of the excellent gun lawyers off of PAFOA.org.

I'm sure he still is getting the lawyer as I would too.  Philly just wants to be different like NYC but they can't.  I also love how the cop threatens that "this is how you lose your license" as well as "recording cops is illegal."  They screwed up and used the usual Philly tactics to attempt to scare the guy.

Again, I'm not advocating what he did but sadly this is what it has come to.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

First response.

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did this guy have a license?

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#32]
It's just sound... wish there was video.   I suppose the guy was trolling looking for an excuse to 'get paid' since he had the recorder and all.  

More power to the OC guys but damn, why bring the man into your life... ever??  It's legal here in GA but it brings nothing but attention on you and that's one thing I desperately try to avoid at all times, lol.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that is not true, if you have a carry license I'm pretty sure it exempts

you.

Pittsburgh is not a "City of First Class."  Only Philly is.  There are quite a few OC'ers in PGH that are never hassled.  I'm not one of them.

Also note that "City of First Class" means they hand out the LTCF vs Pittsburgh where Allegheny County does.  The designation comes from a population

of over 1 million.

ETA: Philly is known for adding rules to obtain a LTCF and denying permits for not following their "extra" requirements.  This goes against PA preemption law but as far as I know no one has legally challenged them on it yet.  

Secondly, because of what is mentioned above, many in Philly obtain a non-resident FL carry permit which is valid in PA.  Philly politicians are pushing for legislation in the state congress that would make non-resident permits invalid in the state.  They are just super anti-gun and can't stand the fact that preemption exists.

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He pretty clearly said that he did.  Did you watch the video?  He told the officer he had a license to carry firearms, officer said it didn't matter.  The victim even went so far as to say which pocket it was in.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The guy said multiple times in the beginning that he indeed did.

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He pretty clearly said that he did.  Did you watch the video?  He told the officer he had a license to carry firearms, officer said it didn't matter.  The victim even went so far as to say which pocket it was in.

No, I didn't watch the video, I just asked a question.

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Actually, PA law says no open carry in class 1 cities with out a license to carry a firearm (usually referred to a concealed weapon permit in most other states).  Please do try to get your information correct in the future.

Edited to add: beat many times.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Citizen: Ignorance of law is not an excuse to break them.

tc556guy: Ignorance of law is a valid excuse to enforce (not enforce) them.  

Are you LEO?  Surely that's not how you think LEO feels and operates on a daily basis, at least none of the police that I know behave in such a manner.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, PA law says no open carry in class 1 cities with out a license to carry a firearm (usually referred to a concealed weapon permit in most other states).  Please do try to get your information correct in the future.

Please try to read all posts before you post.  I have been corrected about 5 times before you imparted your wisdom.

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Those cops are pricks.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously? You think it's smart to argue with a cop who's pointing a gun at you because he's wrong? There's a time and a place for everything. I'd comply 100%...and would probably meet w/ the Chief the next morning.

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It's just sound... wish there was video.   I suppose the guy was trolling looking for an excuse to 'get paid' since he had the recorder and all.  

While you make a valid point, police do "stings" all the time.  Same principle in theory.  If he was trolling, yet well within the law, what is the problem?  He is only trolling for police that aren't doing their job correctly.  It shouldn't be a problem, right?  I mean, if you are an honest cop, citizens should be free to troll as they haven't done anything wrong.

bad cop takes the bait

good cop knows how to correctly perform his job and doesn't take the bait

only bad cops feel the effect
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't bother with Phillys finest. It would be a lost cause from the get go.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you LEO?  Surely that's not how you think LEO feels and operates on a daily basis, at least none of the police that I know behave in such a manner.

I agree with tc555guy that it is best to comply with the officer first because he is pointing a gun at you and secondly, even though he is wrong, you are 100% right and legal.  This is one of the few times where you might actually like a lawyer.  

That said Philly PD had to go through the same training update that all PA officers went through about two years ago that addressed the PA open carry rules.  Whether any of them paid attention or not isn't clear.  It appears the myth that open carry is illegal in "A City of First Class" is still ongoing or the officer was greatly confused by the training he was given (if he was even with a PA PD for it).

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Stay classy Philly PD.

On another note, I went through basic with a reservist who was a philly cop.  Biggest asshole I have ever met.  Fat, out of shape, doughnut eatin' mother fucker, if we had been able to peer him out he would have been gone in a week.  Typical jack-booted thug.  Ran into him on my last tour in Iraq, still a JBT and still a dickhead.  Acted and talked just like the ones on the tape.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's Philly, it is what it is.

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree with tc555guy that it is best to comply with the officer first because he is pointing a gun at you and secondly, even though he is wrong, you are 100% right and legal.  This is one of the few times where you might actually like a lawyer.  

That said Philly PD had to go through the same training update that all PA officers went through about two years ago that addressed the PA open carry rules.  Whether any of them paid attention or not isn't clear.  It appears the myth that open carry is illegal in "A City of First Class" is still ongoing or the officer was greatly confused by the training he was given (if he was even with a PA PD for it).

I agree about compliance also. From the audio on the video, he follows the officers demands rather well for having a gun pointed at him even though he did nothing wrong.  He might be trying to teach the officer about the actual law, but when the officer says keep your hands in the open, the victim does.  On the ground?  He does it.  Stay kneeling?  Yep, he remains that way.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:45:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you.

Pittsburgh is not a "City of First Class."  Only Philly is.  There are quite a few OC'ers in PGH that are never hassled.  I'm not one of them.

Also note that "City of First Class" means they hand out the LTCF vs Pittsburgh where Allegheny County does.  The designation comes from a population

of over 1 million.

ETA: Philly is known for adding rules to obtain a LTCF and denying permits for not following their "extra" requirements.  This goes against PA preemption law but as far as I know no one has legally challenged them on it yet.  

Secondly, because of what is mentioned above, many in Philly obtain a non-resident FL carry permit which is valid in PA.  Philly politicians are pushing for legislation in the state congress that would make non-resident permits invalid in the state.  They are just super anti-gun and can't stand the fact that preemption exists.

They use to try every year to get opted out of the state preemption laws.

They have failed thank God.

That fat fuck anti gun rendell was pissed about leaving before he could get it overturned

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ignorance is no excuse of the law. How does that work?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top