Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2011 7:34:24 PM EDT
Building your own waves.

Seems to me like this might have some detrimental effects on the environment. Am I wrong?

p.s. It's still pretty cool.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#1]
You cant "destroy" the environment...
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#2]
That's badass.  I doubt anything bad would come from that, w/ all that water running through it would fix itself before too long.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome! Being that close to the beach, i bet it's a normal thing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Ummm... That looks like an un fixable deal without some serious time in heavy equipment..

ETA: Unless its just a cut in the inlet. I guess that would not matter at a low tide right?

Meh!!! Cool as fuck : )
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Yearly natural phenomenon that they take advantage of. Tide builds up sand which dams the stream. Stream eventually breaks down dam and does exactly what they did. They just beat mother nature to the punch to have some fun.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yearly natural phenomenon that they take advantage of. Tide builds up sand which dams the stream. Stream eventually breaks down dam and does exactly what they did. They just beat mother nature to the punch to have some fun.

ETA, this.  Couldn't quite explain it the first time around.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#7]
That is pretty awesome, I am impressed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ahhhh... I see. Thanks for explaining.

Link Posted: 2/20/2011 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Awesome! Being that close to the beach, i bet it's a normal thing.

Every time it rains enough in that watershed to wash over the sand damn.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Coastal lagoon fills at high tide, at low tide dig channel in beach peninsula, let natural gravitational flow of water take it's course. Profit.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA, this.  Couldn't quite explain it the first time around.

Looking @ google maps confirms this.

Locals say if the dam isn't removed, roads/houses get washed away.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#13]
That actually looks like a ton of fun.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#14]
That is friggin awesome
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You cant "destroy" the environment...

this...

sand and water... you couldnt pick 2 more natrually dynamic substrates
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 8:07:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes but this is the real reason why you go to the North Shore.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks like fun.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes but this is the real reason why you go to the North Shore.

I was there for that.  It was one of the most impressive things I've ever seen.

Link Posted: 2/20/2011 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#19]
This thread makes me wish I knew how to surf.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Were any of the Ex Presidents there?
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Dirty, but epic
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

This thread makes me wish I knew how to surf.

I spent a year out in Hawaii (sounds better than it was - only got every third sunday off) - went out "surfing" once on a whim. From the time I was almost standing, to the time I was just about run over by one of those 8 man canoes, was about 1.4 seconds, but it was pretty cool My instruction was from a friend (and about as helpful as the skiing tip received in Better Off Dead) - "Paddle real hard. Once you catch a wave, stand up!"

Link Posted: 2/20/2011 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Causes excessive beach erosion, they are damaging the very environment they depend on for their sport, and chances are its illegal as well, most coastal states or countries have laws about messing with the beaches since it can cause above normal beach erosion.  

At the 56 second mark there is beach patrol. So I doubt it is illegal where they are.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Fuck that!

When those coastal lakes drain we have the good sense to stay the fuck out of the water. Usually.

There's every brand of mini bastard in there just waiting to fuck you over.

Not to mention all the septic system drainage that washes down out of the mountains.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Causes excessive beach erosion, they are damaging the very environment they depend on for their sport, and chances are its illegal as well, most coastal states or countries have laws about messing with the beaches since it can cause above normal beach erosion.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2011 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

At the 56 second mark there is beach patrol. So I doubt it is illegal where they are.

Not illegal.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#28]
How is there a constant flow of water out to the ocean?

ETA:  Looks like there is some sort of lake
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Ban Surfing
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Coastal mountain ranges create occasional little reservoirs. They're all up and down the coast here.

Link Posted: 2/20/2011 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#31]
when I lived out in Hawaii I used to try and surf - never got it... every single time I got up on the board it would somehow flip behind me and smack me in the head

I was body surfing at Waimea bay and forgot it was Feb one year - went out and got on top of a wave.... only to realize it was about 15 feet high.... gave me just enough time to say "oh fuck" as I went crashing down and slammed against the bottom for the rest of the way in.

Glad the bay there is sand bottom - unlike pipeline

Miss living out there - shit gun laws and expensive as hell but damn it was fun
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Coastal mountain ranges create occasional little reservoirs. They're all up and down the coast here.  

There was a good size one up by Stinson beach IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 9:14:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Meaning of the word "destroying" FAIL
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#34]
If a couple guys can do it with shovels and their hands in a fee minutes... I think mother nature could have done it with the snap of her finger.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

when I lived out in Hawaii I used to try and surf - never got it... every single time I got up on the board it would somehow flip behind me and smack me in the head

I was body surfing at Waimea bay and forgot it was Feb one year - went out and got on top of a wave.... only to realize it was about 15 feet high.... gave me just enough time to say "oh fuck" as I went crashing down and slammed against the bottom for the rest of the way in.

Glad the bay there is sand bottom - unlike pipeline

Miss living out there - shit gun laws and expensive as hell but damn it was fun

I won't body surf - was out in Hawaii doing surgery internship. Lots of people (mainly tourists) banged up from body surfing. Worst I saw was a 25ish girl - newlywed couple out to Hawaii for honeymoon. Out body surfing and she got slammed. Broken neck and paralyzed. Call me a pussy, but I've seen more than enough to convince me I shouldn't go poking that particular bear. In Hawaii, the areas that create waves that look good for body surfing are shallow, and you're more likey to get slammed into the bottom.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#36]
If they like that, they should try whitewater surfing or kayaking... because that is much more like surfing a hole or wave in a river that an ocean wave.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top