Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2011 1:37:55 PM EDT
I want to get rid of the bloat ware on my VZ DX, that's it.  Should I root?
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Root.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953

Now to go all out and go with a different ROM... that is a different question.

EDIT: I voted NEEEEEERRRDDDSS!

EDIT:  Also - load up this too: http://www.andwobble.com/ - its my favorite app.  I use the paid version, as the credit thing is stupid.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Do it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Root.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953

Now to go all out and go with a different ROM... that is a different question.

EDIT: I voted NEEEEEERRRDDDSS!
That's the method I read about.  Oh and this thread needs more Ogre.

Link Posted: 2/16/2011 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I went with the popular Liberty 1.5 Rom. There is only one bug so far that I have encountered, pressing the sleep key in rapid succession is causing a reboot / lockup. Not by design either. There is a thread about it on the droid forums. Also you lose your HDMI out ability.

I have enjoyed most of the improvements. Also Barnacle wifi tether is the cats ass.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#6]
With the ROMs, how are the "contacts" apps?  I do like the stock DX contacts app (except no google groups), and would hate to have a sub standard contacts app or have to buy one from the market (most are cheesy).

ETA: I also really like the unified inbox, as I run my work and personal email on my X as well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I can only speak on liberty 1.5.  It's contacts would be an improvement, in the sense that is it easier to breakout different ring tones for the various personnel.  

Before trying a rom, making a "nandroid" copy / backup is HIGHLY advised so you can go back :D  The bootstrap from clockworkmod is how that is done, as well as installing the rom.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#8]
As long as I can BU, I'll try the ROMs... Cool thanks.  I think I'm going to pull the trigger.  AAR when it's done.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#9]
AAR, that was easy...  FYI, for anyone reading who is going to do this, I had to reboot the phone after installing z4root in order for it to work.

Now I have to figure out how to remove the bloat, or just go for a ROM....  Decisions decisions.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
AAR, that was easy...  FYI, for anyone reading who is going to do this, I had to reboot the phone after installing z4root in order for it to work.

Now I have to figure out how to remove the bloat, or just go for a ROM....  Decisions decisions.

I am in the same boat.  I just rooted a few days ago and have been researching different ROMs and trying to decide which if any I want to install.  I really want to get rid (or at least freeze) the bloatware and overclock it.

One thing I have not been able to figure out is what BLUR is, does anyone here know?  I know some ROMs are blurry and some are not, but I have no idea what BLUR actually is.

Link Posted: 2/16/2011 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#11]
pay for root explorer on the marked. or use adb shell thru the command prompt.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AAR, that was easy... FYI, for anyone reading who is going to do this, I had to reboot the phone after installing z4root in order for it to work.

Now I have to figure out how to remove the bloat, or just go for a ROM.... Decisions decisions.

I am in the same boat. I just rooted a few days ago and have been researching different ROMs and trying to decide which if any I want to install. I really want to get rid (or at least freeze) the bloatware and overclock it.

One thing I have not been able to figure out is what BLUR is, does anyone here know? I know some ROMs are blurry and some are not, but I have no idea what BLUR actually is.

dont mess with the blur stuff. it runs the phone

milestone overclock will get you to 1.3, i have cpu tuner ant it helps with the battery
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Get titanium backup pro and freeze them.  This way you won't have any trouble updating over the air in the future (just unfreeze before the update)..
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am in the same boat.  I just rooted a few days ago and have been researching different ROMs and trying to decide which if any I want to install.  I really want to get rid (or at least freeze) the bloatware and overclock it.

One thing I have not been able to figure out is what BLUR is, does anyone here know?  I know some ROMs are blurry and some are not, but I have no idea what BLUR actually is.

Blurry roms have some of the original motorola apps like the dialer and facebook.  Blurless roms use all vanilla android apps.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AAR, that was easy... FYI, for anyone reading who is going to do this, I had to reboot the phone after installing z4root in order for it to work.

Now I have to figure out how to remove the bloat, or just go for a ROM.... Decisions decisions.

I am in the same boat. I just rooted a few days ago and have been researching different ROMs and trying to decide which if any I want to install. I really want to get rid (or at least freeze) the bloatware and overclock it.

One thing I have not been able to figure out is what BLUR is, does anyone here know? I know some ROMs are blurry and some are not, but I have no idea what BLUR actually is.

Blur is Motorolas layer that sits on top of "stock" Android (rather incorporated into). Many complain about it lagging the phone. I did not really notice a speed difference one way or another as the X is pretty fast as is.

As for overclocking, I use the paid app Quickclock Advanced. It does a custom testing / OC on your phone... saves you some of the hassle if you are looking for the most uber OC you can get.

Link Posted: 2/16/2011 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get titanium backup pro and freeze them.  This way you won't have any trouble updating over the air in the future (just unfreeze before the update)..

I got root explorer, it seemed more useful.  I assume I can get an OTA update in the future be "re-enabling" the apps that I disabled in root explorer?

Link Posted: 2/16/2011 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get titanium backup pro and freeze them. This way you won't have any trouble updating over the air in the future (just unfreeze before the update)..

I got root explorer, it seemed more useful. I assume I can get an OTA update in the future be "re-enabling" the apps that I disabled in root explorer?
yes name them back to apk. i had to to get 2.2.1 OTA

Link Posted: 2/16/2011 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I got root explorer, it seemed more useful.  I assume I can get an OTA update in the future be "re-enabling" the apps that I disabled in root explorer?  

Yes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I see I need ROM Manager to install ROMs, but there is also a specific Droid X bootstrapper.  Do I need this to flash ROMs?  It looks like the free ROM manager also has the ability to boot into recovery mode and manage ROMs.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#21]
there is a boot strap app.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I see I need ROM Manager to install ROMs, but there is also a specific Droid X bootstrapper.  Do I need this to flash ROMs?  It looks like the free ROM manager also has the ability to boot into recovery mode and manage ROMs.

The ROM Manager uses bootstrapper; it just streamlines the process.  I would however skip the manager and just use bootstrapper.  The APEX ROM developer said that ROM manager had been buggy and was causing problems.  I don't know if it's fixed or  not.  The only thing it does that is really useful is download the ROMs for you anyway and bootstrapper is very simple.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Bootstrap is awesome if you want to load custom ROMs and make backups of existing loads.

If you just want to rid your DX of bloatware, then root using Z4Root and then get Titanium Backup and 'freeze' the apps you don't want.  I wouldn't remove them, as it's been said that it messes with OTA updates.  

I had Liberty 1.0 running on my phone, but it hara-kiri'd itself when I tried to load a different theme, so I had to go back to my stock ROM.  Still loving my DX.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Ouch, have to reinstall all my apps.  Apparently titanium backup would have helped with that... Oh well.  I installed the Liberty 1.5 ROM for now.  I will run with this for a while.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 4:15:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ouch, have to reinstall all my apps.  Apparently titanium backup would have helped with that... Oh well.  I installed the Liberty 1.5 ROM for now.  I will run with this for a while.

Link Posted: 2/16/2011 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#27]
i renamed mine from .apk to .bak so i could name them baack
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Impressions after switching to Liberty 1.5.

It's cool, but the contacts app and lack of a unified inbox may be a deal breaker...  Since I can just back it all up, it doesn't matter, I can always go back.  Anyone who was on the fence, go for it.

Edit, NEVERMIND! Unified inbox capable.  I love Liberty 1.5.

Link Posted: 2/17/2011 12:04:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Impressions after switching to Liberty 1.5.

It's cool, but the contacts app and lack of a unified inbox may be a deal breaker...  Since I can just back it all up, it doesn't matter, I can always go back.  Anyone who was on the fence, go for it.

Edit, NEVERMIND! Unified inbox capable.  I love Liberty 1.5.

I think what happened with Liberty 1.0 was in the Tools for it, I selected another theme, and it downloaded the theme and then restarted to apply it but never came back up.  I think it didn't finish downloading the file... it just gave it X seconds and then restarted... thus it killed itself.  

I might have to check out 1.5...  I'll wait for the weekend when I'm at home to make a new nandroid of my stock ROM and then install the new Liberty ROM.  I also downloaded but didn't try out the APEX ROM recently...  

It's all pretty damn easy to do, isn't it?  
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 7:00:44 AM EDT
[#30]
I haven't tried liberty, but I enjoy the APEX ROM.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 7:06:04 AM EDT
[#31]
I tried to do it to mine.

I dont understand what to do.

I dont know how to do it.

Link Posted: 2/17/2011 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Chris C, here is a tutorial video on how to root.

This thread will get you a bootstrapper (what you need before you can put a ROM on) and how to back up your current setup, and how to install a new ROM.

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 5:18:12 AM EDT
[#33]
All I want to do is 'freeze' the crap on the phone. Not interested in a new ROM (yet).

From my limited research (thanks arfcom), can I just get away with rooting (z4root), then installing Ti Backup and freeze away. Or do I also need Bootstrap?

Guess I'm not sure what the difference is between Ti Backup and Bootstrap.

I have some time today, and would like to take a stab at it.

ETA: When someone 'bricks' their phone, is it from rooting, or trying a new ROM?
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 5:40:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
[/div]

dont mess with the blur stuff. it runs the phone

milestone overclock will get you to 1.3, i have cpu tuner ant it helps with the battery[/div]

Running my X  @ 1.45 with the milestone app , clocking around 1800 on the quadrant score  

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#35]
I went ahead and rooted the phone, and put Ti Backup on it.

No problems thus far. I've frozen the apps I don't want running.

Now what else can I do with this rooted puppy?? I'm scared to play with a new ROM.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#36]
milestone overclock will speed up the processor.  I use cpu tuner, which allows you to set profiles and under clock to save battery. my phone also doesnt get as hot now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top