User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 537
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By juan223:
Originally Posted By thebomber:
Very interesting,

Agreed,  but it does not seem to have much traction on ARF,  and that is interesting in itself.

Because while I believe everyone here thinks it's a great start, there's not much of a realistic hope anything significant will come of it.

If all the things that have gone down over the past 15-20 years isn't enough to get the ATF severely gutted and reorganized, this alone has a fart's chance in a hurricane.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By AJ_Dual:

Because while I believe everyone here thinks it's a great start, there's not much of a realistic hope anything significant will come of it.

With defeatist attitudes like that,  nothing is sure to come of it.....  

Do you people even vote?  

Link Posted: 2/10/2011 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By AJ_Dual:
Very interesting,

Agreed,  but it does not seem to have much traction on ARF,  and that is interesting in itself.

If all the things that have gone down over the past 15-20 years isn't enough to get the ATF severely gutted and reorganized, this alone has a fart's chance in a hurricane.

When was the last time that unlawful conspiratorial actions by the ATF led directly to the death of a federal law enforcement agent?

I do believe this is a first.  Combined with the extra tensions along the border because of the cartel violence, this one has some traction.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Very interesting,

Thread has over 12000 views.  Not all of us following this have posted or feel the need to go "yeah - what he said."
Some of us don't post, but follow the issues and take actions (calling Senators' offices, etc...).
Too many important issues currently going on, I myself would rather spend what little time I do post on things that help me relieve stress (for the most part).  I can better spend the other time emailing and calling my congress critters.

Can't speak for anyone else, but that's my reasons.  May be more like me, than we realize here.  Who knows?

Link Posted: 2/10/2011 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JAFFE:

Very interesting,

Thread has over 12000 views.  Not all of us following this have posted or feel the need to go "yeah - what he said."

Some of us don't post, but follow the issues and take actions (calling Senators' offices, etc...).

Too many important issues currently going on, I myself would rather spend what little time I do post on things that help me relieve stress (for the most part).  I can better spend the other time emailing and calling my congress critters.

Can't speak for anyone else, but that's my reasons.  May be more like me, than we realize here.  Who knows?

yeah - what he said.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Dr_Dickie:
I see that letter as confirming that the arms used "WERE KNOWN TO BE STRAW PURCHASES," by ATF.

Yep,  another bombshell,  if proven,  is that that FFL did not wish to continue with these alledgely "encouraged" sales.

With luck the FFL recorded those conversations.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By RWkelly:
yeah - what he said.

Good to know that there appears to be a "silent majority" on the board that is at least paying attention..

I was just baffled by what appears to be a lack of participatory interest in the thread seeing as the most juvenile,  horseshit based threads get so much interest....
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 12:15:05 PM EDT
[#8]
TAG
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I am currently getting together a printout of all these documents listed in this thread.  I am going to draft a letter to each one of my congressman and mail a hardcopy out via usps, with a cc listing each others names on it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:
I am currently getting together a printout of all these documents listed in this thread.  I am going to draft a letter to each one of my congressman and mail a hardcopy out via usps, with a cc listing each others names on it.

Excellent idea,  I'm gonna steal it.  I just got done calling both Kyl's and McCain's offices...again...based on the new info released last night.

Now to call Grassley's office to express my thanks.

Link Posted: 2/10/2011 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#11]

That's a very good idea. I'm not going to bother contacting my senators (Schumer and Gillibrand) but will contact my representative in the house (Chris Gibson).

I have already contacted Senator Grassley with thanks and encouragement.

David
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dsbock:

That's a very good idea. I'm not going to bother contacting my senators (Schumer and Gillibrand) but will contact my representative in the house (Chris Gibson).

I have already contacted Senator Grassley with thanks and encouragement.

David

Here's the deal with Congresspeople.  You have to make it their issue.  For example, MS District 2, Bennie Thompson.  used to be (don't know if still is) Chair of the dept of homeland security committee.  Well, what is worse for the homeland than having a BP agent murdered by a gun that the ATF sanctioned for sale to a straw purchaser, go across the border, and then come back?

Want to make it a Schumer  issue?  Ok.  The ATF is forcing FFL's to make illegal firearms sales which are being used in crimes against Federal law enforcement.  Schumer supports law enforcement, right?  Who doesn't.  Why wouldn't he look into something like this?

Gillibrand?  How bout this.  We have an ATF loophole that needs to be closed now.  Close the ATF loophole.  With it open, the ATF is forcing FFL's to sell guns to straw purchasers, which are being used in crimes against Federal law enforcement and US citizens... etc.. etc.. etc..
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#13]
How an agency can be run in such a matter is beyond me. The ATF should be taken to task on this one.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 12:52:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: juan223] [#14]
Excellent post by fellow ARFCOMMER SiVisPacem in this thread.....

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1143008&page=3�

I wonder if any arrests were made,   provided crimes were found to have been committed.....

A couple of years ago, the shop where I worked had a latino male come in and pay cash for two handguns, a Beretta 92 and a PX4. The background check went through ok, and the owner submitted the required multiple sales form to local LE and BATFE. The same guy also went into another shop across town, which is owned by the same guy, and bought two of the same guns, with cash, on the same day. The guys there did the background check, which went through fine, and then they filed the multiple sales form. Of course, being across town from each other, they didn't realize at the time that the guy had just bought the same guns from the other store.

The following week, the same guy came iback to the store where I worked and wanted to buy another one of each of the same pistols, again with cash. The manager smelled something funny, so he used the excuse that we didn't have a PX4 in stock and that he'd have to check with the distributors to go back to his office and call the local ATF office. They told him to go ahead and order the gun for him and sell it to him, but to let them know when it was due to arrive. The guy came back for the gun and ATF told the boss to sell him the guns. He came back a third time, and the boss again called BATFE. This time, they told him to say that the NICS system was down and that he'd have to come back in a few hours. The owner did so and the guy left. The owner called the ATF agent back a little while later and was told that the agent knew exactly what was happening because they were sitting in front of the guy's address at that very moment and that they had watched him walk out of the gunshop and go to the BBQ joint two doors down. The ATF ended up having the store sell the guy about half a dozen or so guns before the guy finally stopped coming into the shop.

The point of the story: some gun shop owners do recognize strange behavior patterns and do report them to BATFE and BATFE will sometimes get those dealers to assist them by selling guns to a person, in order for BATFE to locate and track that person.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow, and a bump.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JAFFE:

Very interesting,

yeah - what he said.

Yep.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#17]
This needs to get more mainstream attention. Sending to drudge again.

Also need to donate over at sippsy street.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Most members of this website have no problems with the BATFE.

Me included
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 9:25:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By CRC:

Me included

Clarification?

Are you saying most have no legal problems due to BATFE involvement in our lives, or,
that the majority here have no issue with the way the agency conducts itself, (or, it's very existence, for that matter?)
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Not_so_Clever:

Me included

Clarification?

Are you saying most have no legal problems due to BATFE involvement in our lives, or,
that the majority here have no issue with the way the agency conducts itself, (or, it's very existence, for that matter?)

Nobody's got problems with the agency because nobody is contacting Congress about them.

I assume most folks don't really care about the BATFE
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 9:34:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Not_so_Clever] [#21]
Most folks in general, or the membership of this site? If you mean this site, I do not know that I could agree.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 9:36:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bassman2] [#22]
How can any American Citizen NOT have a problem with the BATFE?

In summary: Allegedly

The ATF Knows a bad guy is buying multiple weapons. They Allow it. Looks like they allow it for at least a year.

The ATF & Justice encourage an FFL to continue selling to bad guy.

Bad guy is a bad guy and uses guns in a gunfight and KILLS one of our Good Guys.

Senator investigating this issue is BS'd and told to pound sand by ATF.

Senator informs Justice that he's not giving up.

Basically - If ATF followed the law, Bad Guy would have been arrested prior to gunfight. Good Guy would be alive.

Link Posted: 2/10/2011 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Here's hoping the BATFE gets fried.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Not_so_Clever:
Most folks in general, or the membership of this site? If you mean this site, I do not know that I could agree.

Both
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 9:42:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Holy shit, things just *did* get real. Holder will try to sweep this under the rug, we'll see just how far Grassley is willing to carry this but this has the potential spinning out of control for the admin. So much that the MSM won't be able to control it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#26]
bump for a good read
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#27]
May the dirty b_astards have their corrupt, evil agency gutted like the rotten fish it is. This may be the start of a snowball headed for hell..
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Shit just got real.  BIg props to David Codrea and Mike Vanderboegh for pushing this.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/48549160/RosettaStone

good
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Shit just got real.  BIg props to David Codrea and Mike Vanderboegh for pushing this.

Link Posted: 2/10/2011 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By VictorUnit:

good

Yeah, Like he said.

Link Posted: 2/10/2011 11:34:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: juan223] [#31]

Me included

So what are you saying exactly?

This is not an "Anti-ATF" thread,  this is a thread that is exposing alledged negligence at best,  and very possibly  corruption at some pretty high levels.  

Do you support the  actions of the ATF acting as alledged
?

ETA,  I read your follow up.....

Link Posted: 2/10/2011 11:38:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Tag...
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 4:47:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Bassman2:

The ATF Knows a bad guy is buying multiple weapons. They Allow it. Looks like they allow it for at least a year.
Bad guy is a bad guy and uses guns in a gunfight and KILLS one of our Good Guys.

Basically - If ATF followed the law, Bad Guy would have been arrested prior to gunfight. Good Guy would be alive.

Bad guys who get guns are also killing Mexican citizens and Mexican good guys as well, hence why Mexican authorities weren't told about this.
When ATF attache to Mexico Darren Gil heard about it through informal channels he went from Mexico to DC asking WTF??, then he got told to pound sand by DC - and was forced into retirement.

Mike Vanderboegh says he was forced into retirement.  TL Davis confirms he retired, but doesn't explicitly say forced, but comments that we can only speculate on discussions in DC.  Davis continues that after Gil's departure:
With no further objections, the cynical plan allegedly was put into effect, and a string of subsequent events were unleashed.  If played right, however, the Obama administration would get their "evidence," and the ATF could count on increased resources to pursue the very problem they were facilitating.

––
For those interested, USAJOBS.gov has a timely opening in Phoenix:
http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.aspx?JobID=96229149&JobTitle=Special+Agent+in+Charge&q=atf&lid=17308&sort=rv%2c-dtex&rad_units=miles&brd=3876&pp=25&qt=default&vw=b&re=134&FedEmp=Y&FedPub=Y&caller=advanced.aspx&AVSDM=2011-02-01+13%3a10%3a00

Screenshot link (since it closes on the 16th)

and screenshot (if it works):
http://s3.postimage.org/1ha9l6ouc/sacphoenix.jpg
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 7:39:48 AM EDT
[#34]
tag as well....wow...
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#35]

yeah - what he said.

Good to know that there appears to be a "silent majority" on the board that is at least paying attention..

I was just baffled by what appears to be a lack of participatory interest in the thread seeing as the most juvenile,  horseshit based threads get so much interest....

I have read every post in this thread and every link as well. I will be contacting my senators and Mr. Grassley's office.

Link Posted: 2/11/2011 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Can someone PLEASE explain to me why the fu** the ATF wanted those sales to keep going on!!??
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By RDak:
Can someone PLEASE explain to me why the fu** the ATF wanted those sales to keep going on!!??

so they can then get those guns coming back across the border, then point the finger at the FFL's saying "They sold guns illegally!!" and keep justifying an ever increasing budget.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 9:57:17 AM EDT
[#38]

so they can then get those guns coming back across the border, then point the finger at the FFL's saying "They sold guns illegally!!" and keep justifying an ever increasing budget.

Has to be something like that.

It's not like the ATF couldn't have brought all these bad guys up on charges a long damn time ago. Tracking a single straw purchase and then catching the attempt to smuggle the rifle across the border should've put the bad guys away for a long time. No reason for the BATF to keep it going and to not bother to track the guns at all.

I like the response. I really like that the letter has source citations. Grassley basically grabbed DOJ/ATF by the necktie and screamed "do you know who the fuck I am?"
Sounds like somebody at the Executive branch is going to get a lesson in checks and balances.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 9:58:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spade] [#39]

And then they can try to bust the FFL's who were only doing what the ATF told them to do.

Remember the news report saying that a large number of illegal guns found in Mexico had been sold by Lone Wolf Trading? Well that's a "no shit" now. A large number of them are there because ATF told Lone Wolf to let the sales go through. I don't recall the ATF mentioning that to the reporters.

ETA: I responded to the same post twice.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 10:37:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Spade:

And then they can try to bust the FFL's who were only doing what the ATF told them to do.

Remember the news report saying that a large number of illegal guns found in Mexico had been sold by Lone Wolf Trading? Well that's a "no shit" now. A large number of them are there because ATF told Lone Wolf to let the sales go through. I don't recall the ATF mentioning that to the reporters.

If you are not right Spade.........then I have NO IDEA why they would just keep on letting FFL's sell alot of rifles to suspicious people.

I mean, when would they stop(?)........at the 50,000th rifle!!??

Link Posted: 2/11/2011 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#41]
http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/2011/02/story-upon-stair-failure-of-authorized.html

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn’t there
He wasn’t there again today
I wish, I wish he’d go away...

When I came home last night at three
The man was waiting there for me
But when I looked around the hall
I couldn’t see him there at all!
Go away, go away, don’t you come back any more!
Go away, go away, and please don’t slam the door... (slam!)

Last night I saw upon the stair
A little man who wasn’t there
He wasn’t there again today
Oh, how I wish he’d go away.
–– "Antigonish" by Hughes Mearns, 1899.

More than 30 hours since David Codrea and I broke the story of Senator Grassley's resounding bitch slap of Attorney General Eric Holder in the Project Gunwalker scandal and the cover-up of the circumstances of the death of Brian Terry, the "mainstream" media of "authorized journalists" has yet to follow up.

Even the Associated Press, which is probably getting tired of being embarrassed by a couple of mere bloggers, is missing in action.

This is not for lack of trying. Every Project Gunwalker Scandal post I do is emailed out to a list that includes Congresscritters, ATF senior executives (my momma told me never to talk about people behind their backs) and "authorized journalists."

I even called up some reporters yesterday who have previously covered the story, including Pravda's own James V. Grimaldi.

Had he seen the Grassley letter and documents, I asked? Yes, he replied laconically. So, was he going to do a story on them? Well, it seemed, you never could tell. Maybe they would and maybe they wouldn't.

Grimaldi is probably afraid of meeting the ghost of Brian Terry upon the stair and having to explain to him why the circumstances of his death are inconvenient to the Washington Post's meme of the valiant, under-resourced ATF doing battle with venal American gun show promoters and gun store owners who, with NRA membership cards in their back pockets, are handing out RPGs and machine guns to MS-13 killers.

Having to explain the Project Gunwalker Scandal is just . . . not neat. Not neat at all. But of course reporters are never biased. Never. Heaven forfend anybody should get THAT idea.

Except, of course, the ghost of Brian Terry upon the stair, who can no longer speak for himself.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2011 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Sirveaux:

Bad guys who get guns are also killing Mexican citizens and Mexican good guys as well, hence why Mexican authorities weren't told about this.
When ATF attache to Mexico Darren Gil heard about it through informal channels he went from Mexico to DC asking WTF??, then he got told to pound sand by DC - and was forced into retirement.

Mike Vanderboegh says he was forced into retirement.  TL Davis confirms he retired, but doesn't explicitly say forced, but comments that we can only speculate on discussions in DC.  Davis continues that after Gil's departure:
With no further objections, the cynical plan allegedly was put into effect, and a string of subsequent events were unleashed.  If played right, however, the Obama administration would get their "evidence," and the ATF could count on increased resources to pursue the very problem they were facilitating.

––
http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.aspx?JobID=96229149&JobTitle=Special+Agent+in+Charge&q=atf&lid=17308&sort=rv%2c-dtex&rad_units=miles&brd=3876&pp=25&qt=default&vw=b&re=134&FedEmp=Y&FedPub=Y&caller=advanced.aspx&AVSDM=2011-02-01+13%3a10%3a00

<a href="http://postimage.org/image/1ha9l6ouc/" target="_blank">http://s3.postimage.org/1ha9l6ouc/sacphoenix.jpg</a>

Wow they make a lot of money...  ~$150K?
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Spade:

If you are not right Spade.........then I have NO IDEA why they would just keep on letting FFL's sell alot of rifles to suspicious people.

I mean, when would they stop(?)........at the 50,000th rifle!!??

That's a good question.  I think they probably did this a few times... and maybe tracked where the gun went and took down a smuggler.  Then, in the infinite wisdom that is ATF, decided, "well, if we can do this on a small scale... imagine what we could do on a big one".  And then, it got bigger and bigger... and justifying budgets gets tough.  And now you have forced FFLs to literally break federal law, so you have that over them and they are going to keep doing it to keep their federal overlords happy... Then all hell breaks loose when one of your straw purchases returns in the hands of a killer.

I pray that Lone Wolfe and any other FFL forced to make these sales either a) has this in writing, or b) has whatever ATF agent/lawyer advising this on TAPE advising them to make these deals.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By jtb33:

––

<a href="http://postimage.org/image/1ha9l6ouc/" target="_blank">http://s3.postimage.org/1ha9l6ouc/sacphoenix.jpg</a>

Wow they make a lot of money...  ~$150K?

I'd take that job. Under one condition: #1 job priority would be to sell off all Branch assets, re-assign personnel to other Departments or give them severance packages, transfer Branch responsibilities to either local law enforcement or the US Marshals as appropriate, and be the last one to turn off the lights and lock the door on my way out.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#45]

Yes,  that position was opened up when the previous Phx SAC was PROMOTED to become the ATF attache to MEXICO!!

Oddly enough the PREVIOUS atache to Mexico reportedly retired when he would not go along with the "Gunwalker program",   evidently he went to DC to complain about the Mexican .gov not being in the loop,  and retired shortly after...

ATF allowed and even encouraged guns into Mexico that have likely killed Mexican LEO/MIL,   and now ATFs former Az pointman on Gunwalker is down there handing out door prizes and party favors hoping the Mexican gov won't express outrage...
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 1:27:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 2:11:37 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm in with the hopes that for the first time I'll ever see the "checks" part of government actually does do some balancing.  The last letter had some significant evidence.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#49]

NRA decided to join in.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6243

Anyone sent this to fox news?
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By aztrooper:

NRA decided to join in.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6243

Anyone sent this to fox news?

Fox did a report on their foxnews.com site,  they reported the initial Grassley letters,  and IIRC the DOJ denial.   I have yet to see many "mainstream" media orgs report Grassly's response that destroys the DOJ denial....

The two guys that originally broke this story say they always CC alot of MSM reporters AND ATF/DOJ on the stories they send out...
Page / 537
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top