Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 12/22/2010 11:20:28 AM EDT
http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/12/firearms_training_officer_acci.html

GREEN, Ohio –– A firearms instructor accidentally shot himself in the thigh during a training session at the Summit County Sheriff's Office training facility Tuesday.

ETA:
The VA Hometown forum, as well as the comments from the article are reporting it was Chris Cerino of Top Shot fame.

VA Hometown Thread

Comments from original news report
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 11:26:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Accidents glocken to the best of us.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't surprise me in Summit County.Hope he's ok.

Link Posted: 12/22/2010 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I know that others might not agree with me, but that right there should be enough to disqualify him from being an instructor.

No such as things as "accidents happen" or "we all make mistakes" when it comes to deadly weapons.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I know that others might not agree with me, but that right there should be enough to disqualify him from being an instructor.

No such as things as "accidents happen" or "we all make mistakes" when it comes to deadly weapons.

Absolutely.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#5]
That won't buff out.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Used to work at an indoor range on weekends,

Over the last 24 years they have had 19 ND in the lobby / gun shop area.

14 were LEO's

3 were workers at the range

2 were normal customers

Of the 14 LEO ND's 8 were "instructors"  3 of them shot the couch, 2 shot the TV, 2 shot the glass between the range and shop (bullet proof) 1 shot himself in the foot, with a shotgun! Lost 3 toes and a LOT of blood.

After the last ND two weeks ago (LEO into the counter top) we now have the LEO quals. and classes only handle weapons out on the range. They come in 1-3 times a week before opening to do quals and training, told them it was an insurance thing... It really kind of is!
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Before he shot himself did he say to the class "Don't ever do this?".
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 11:38:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What you did there, I see it.

Link Posted: 12/22/2010 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Before after he shot himself did he say to the class "Don't ever do this that?".

Link Posted: 12/22/2010 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Well he'll have a nice scar to show why you keep your finger off the trigger.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#11]
DHS needs some sort of a safety Grant to stop this sort of thing...
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Well as they say stupid should hurt.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 11:44:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No. He said, "I'm de only one po-fessunul enuf..."
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

14 were LEO's

2 were normal customers

Of the 14 LEO ND's 8 were "instructors"  3 of them shot the couch, 2 shot the TV, 2 shot the glass between the range and shop (bullet proof) 1 shot himself in the foot, with a shotgun! Lost 3 toes and a LOT of blood.

After the last ND two weeks ago (LEO into the counter top) we now have the LEO quals. and classes only handle weapons out on the range. They come in 1-3 times a week before opening to do quals and training, told them it was an insurance thing... It really kind of is!

This happens more than you think.  In my 13 years of law enforcement, 10 of them as a range officer/PFI, I have seen senior, state range instructors shoot themselves, and have UD/ND's, Federal range instructors have UD's (pistol, rifle, and shotgun).  And I'm not talking Department of Agriculture instructors, more like FBI, DEA, and USSS instructors.  Not to mention all of the UD/ND's at home, where an officer, trooper, or agent had been "cleaning" their weapon and shot themselves in the thigh, foot or other body part.  Then you have stuff that was accidentally shot around the house.

I've also seen my fair share of non-LEO range instructors having UD/ND's.  One local department used to clear their Glocks by dropping the magazine, clearing the chamber, then dry fire the weapon down range.  Simple, right?  Well not to there SWAT team, who got it backwards, and cleared the chamber, removed the magazine, then dry fired the weapon, BOOM!!!!

Bottom line, should he loose his/her status, not my decision, but probably.

Link Posted: 12/22/2010 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely.

+1
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Back in the 80's when automatic 9mm's were taking over, the guards where I worked turned in their .38's for the new automatics. It was a big deal and everybody was always wanting to see their new guns. One guard had his unholstered having show and tell with a couple other guys and shoots himself in the foot. Luckily, the bullet went between bones. He had to hop around a few days and suffer the indignity of getting called Barney Fife, and people asking if his bullet was in his pocket. Management wasn't pleased and came down with all kinds of new requirements.

They were in class one day practicing shooting by dry firing a .357 revolver. One chamber wasn't dry and they blasted a hole through a block wall. Nobody got hurt, management pissed again.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely.

+1

+2

BigDozer66

Link Posted: 12/22/2010 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

14 were LEO's

2 were normal customers

Of the 14 LEO ND's 8 were "instructors" 3 of them shot the couch, 2 shot the TV, 2 shot the glass between the range and shop (bullet proof) 1 shot himself in the foot, with a shotgun! Lost 3 toes and a LOT of blood.

This happens more than you think. In my 13 years of law enforcement, 10 of them as a range officer/PFI, I have seen senior, state range instructors shoot themselves, and have UD/ND's, Federal range instructors have UD's (pistol, rifle, and shotgun). And I'm not talking Department of Agriculture instructors, more like FBI, DEA, and USSS instructors. Not to mention all of the UD/ND's at home, where an officer, trooper, or agent had been "cleaning" their weapon and shot themselves in the thigh, foot or other body part. Then you have stuff that was accidentally shot around the house.

I've also seen my fair share of non-LEO range instructors having UD/ND's. One local department used to clear their Glocks by dropping the magazine, clearing the chamber, then dry fire the weapon down range. Simple, right? Well not to there SWAT team, who got it backwards, and cleared the chamber, removed the magazine, then dry fired the weapon, BOOM!!!!

I've had two try and put their hands and their sidearms into their holsters at the same time. Both ended up with nice leg wounds to show for it. Loved the supplemental DR's though: "I saw a bright flash and heard a loud bang then Officer Bob yelled 'Fuck! I shot myself!', and fell down."

Link Posted: 12/22/2010 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine Gott, it took almost 15 posts to get this. This place is slipping.

Link Posted: 12/22/2010 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

An oldie but a goodie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj4yUpR1PB0

Link Posted: 12/22/2010 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not saying it's not a major fuck-up, but you spend enough time doing <insert anything here>, eventually you're going to make a mistake. It's the law of averages. Saying "no-one makes mistakes when it comes to deadly weapons" may look good on a training brochure, but in the real world... I'd say most people whos lives revolve around guns have had at least one 'incident' they're far from proud of. I'd also guess that most chefs have cut themselves from time to time.

Without knowing the exact details of the incident (was it a freak accident, or brought on by negligence or poor gun-handling), I'd say it's a little premature to hang the guy.

Link Posted: 12/22/2010 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Those Glock .40's sting!
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
DHS needs some sort of a safety Grant to stop this sort of thing...

Methinks the capitalization in your sentence was not unintentional.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#26]
It doesn't surprise me about it being a instructor or leo, the truth is the more your around a gun, the easier it is to be careless or undisciplined with handling.  It should be the opposite, but when your brain switches to autopilot  sometimes you fly into a mountain.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely.

Add another to this line of thinking!!

Link Posted: 12/22/2010 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#28]
The local gun range does not allow drawing from holsters.  I enquired why and it stems from a local police department having several ND's 20 or so years ago.  I enquired about it more.

The story that came out was that the department had switched to semi auto pistols.  Whoever was in charge of ordering the holsters bought the wrong style and when the pistol was holstered it would catch the trigger and if pushed in the wrong way, would cause a discharge.

The club officer who is deathly against allowing drawing from a holster is a retired cop.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I took care of an instructor who ND'd into his hand the night before a scheduled class.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not saying it's not a major fuck-up, but you spend enough time doing <insert anything here>, eventually you're going to make a mistake. It's the law of averages. Saying "no-one makes mistakes when it comes to deadly weapons" may look good on a training brochure, but in the real world... I'd say most people whos lives revolve around guns have had at least one 'incident' they're far from proud of. I'd also guess that most chefs have cut themselves from time to time.

Without knowing the exact details of the incident (was it a freak accident, or brought on by negligence or poor gun-handling), I'd say it's a little premature to hang the guy.

Fair enough.

I just think that handling a gun is something that requires 100% attention to detail. In order to have a AD, you must break more than one rule of safe gun handling. This why I take the position I do.

Make a mistake, fine. (ie, muzzle sweep, or put a finger on the trigger, etc, but NOT both!)

Make two at the same time and accidentally discharge a gun? You might not be well suited for instructorism.

Link Posted: 12/22/2010 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

YES IT SHOULD
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 2:30:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Dummy, I told you to cut the cord locks off your "tactical" clothing.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough.

I just think that handling a gun is something that requires 100% attention to detail. In order to have a AD, you must break more than one rule of safe gun handling. This why I take the position I do.
Make a mistake, fine. (ie, muzzle sweep, or put a finger on the trigger, etc, but NOT both!)
Make two at the same time and accidentally discharge a gun? You might not be well suited for instructorism.

Agreed.

But it is possible he fumbled the draw, possibly during a high-stress training exercise or competition, and in the process his finger slipped into the triggerguard.
Still not excusing it - and I'm sure he's not either - but that could happen, even if he had been following the rules of safe gun handling before becoming clumsy.

Link Posted: 12/22/2010 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

14 were LEO's

2 were normal customers

This happens more than you think.  In my 13 years of law enforcement, 10 of them as a range officer/PFI, I have seen senior, state range instructors shoot themselves, and have UD/ND's, Federal range instructors have UD's (pistol, rifle, and shotgun).  And I'm not talking Department of Agriculture instructors, more like FBI, DEA, and USSS instructors.  Not to mention all of the UD/ND's at home, where an officer, trooper, or agent had been "cleaning" their weapon and shot themselves in the thigh, foot or other body part.  Then you have stuff that was accidentally shot around the house.

I've also seen my fair share of non-LEO range instructors having UD/ND's.  One local department used to clear their Glocks by dropping the magazine, clearing the chamber, then dry fire the weapon down range.  Simple, right?  Well not to there SWAT team, who got it backwards, and cleared the chamber, removed the magazine, then dry fired the weapon, BOOM!!!!

WOW!....In almost 16 years I have only seen one (and I've seen tons of range time)....and it was by a Recruit in the Police Academy and nobody got hurt. Some of you guys must have some fucked up qualifications to become a Range Instructor

..................now watch....tomorrow I'll shoot myself in the foot for saying it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 2:36:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

14 were LEO's

2 were normal customers

They shouldn't have a SWAT team if they are that fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#36]
every time you handle a firearm you are one step closer to your first (an hopefully your last) ND.. Some of you guys posting here will feel really stupid when it happens as you should.. The old saying there are two kinds of gun handlers.. Those who have had NDs and those who will.. I had mine years ago and also had the misfortune of being the victim of one.. I am not so quick to judge.. Now with that said some of the coment on the link are really fucking retarded
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

14 were LEO's

2 were normal customers

Lodi Ca. PD had two swat officer NDs in one year.. One shot himself in the hand, and the other shot the man ahead of him in the stack. They hit a door and the stack stopped, and the third man back had his finger on the trigger. Second man took a 9mm round to the lower back.. Even the pros screw the pooch sometimes
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

14 were LEO's

2 were normal customers

Lodi Ca. PD had two swat officer NDs in one year.. One shot himself in the hand, and the other shot the man ahead of him in the stack. They hit a door and the stack stopped, and the third man back had his finger on the trigger. Second man took a 9mm round to the lower back.. Even the pros screw the pooch sometimes

I HAD a guy on my SWAT team who twice nearly shot one of his team mates in the live fire shoothouse..........he is NO LONGER on our SWAT team for that reason.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#39]
This really doesn't surprise me. People think that leo instructors are some how the best of the best.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fair enough.

Agreed.

But it is possible he fumbled the draw, possibly during a high-stress training exercise or competition, and in the process his finger slipped into the triggerguard.

Still not excusing it - and I'm sure he's not either - but that could happen, even if he had been following the rules of safe gun handling before becoming clumsy.

I can't argue with that.

Link Posted: 1/3/2011 8:11:24 AM EDT
[#41]
The VA Hometown forum, as well as the comments from the article are reporting it was Chris Cerino of Top Shot fame.

VA Hometown Thread

Comments from original news report

Link Posted: 1/3/2011 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The local gun range does not allow drawing from holsters.  I enquired why and it stems from a local police department having several ND's 20 or so years ago.  I enquired about it more.

The story that came out was that the department had switched to semi auto pistols.  Whoever was in charge of ordering the holsters bought the wrong style and when the pistol was holstered it would catch the trigger and if pushed in the wrong way, would cause a discharge.

The club officer who is deathly against allowing drawing from a holster is a retired cop.

ETA: OK, guys. These holsters are not exactly the right ones, but they're all we've got, so use them. We did some testing, and I can assure you that even with the screwup, there's an excellent chance that you won't be injured or killed drawing or holstering your sidearms. We should be able to replace them with the correct holsters in a year or two.

Be careful out there!
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 8:19:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Glock Happens!
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 8:29:09 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

14 were LEO's

2 were normal customers

Now thats an internet story I can believe in!

Link Posted: 1/3/2011 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#45]
I disagree.  I work in an industry where mistakes can kill.  Mistakes do not have to happen.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 8:33:36 AM EDT
[#46]
(never mind.)
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Glocken speil
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
every time you handle a firearm you are one step closer to your first (an hopefully your last) ND.. Some of you guys posting here will feel really stupid when it happens as you should.. The old saying there are two kinds of gun handlers.. Those who have had NDs and those who will.. I had mine years ago and also had the misfortune of being the victim of one.. I am not so quick to judge.. Now with that said some of the coment on the link are really fucking retarded

Had mine. I was shooting a guy's SAA at the range. About the fourth shot sounded weak to me.  As I pulled the hammer back for the last round I thought perhaps I should check for a squib. Guy must have had a 40# mainspring on the knocker and it got away from me. Round hit the ground about 4 feet in front of the target. I made a mental note that if I ever shoot an unfamiliar firearm and something seems off I'm calling the owner over.

Regarding Glocks, I got a light for my bedside hand gun - Sig 220. I decided I'd rather have my Glock20 chill in an evidence locker so I swapped out the light. Won't fit in its holster so I have it in the drawer of the bedside table without a round chambered. I just don't feel comfortable with an unholstered Glock and a chambered round.

Link Posted: 1/3/2011 8:49:28 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I agree and disagree.

The more time spent handling weapons (or engaging in any activity), the greater the chance for a "mishap" (including negligence).

That's why you find people who work for years and years as cabinet makers, in sawmills, etc. with missing fingers, etc.

You put yourself out there (as in front of people) and participate far more than the average in dangerous activities, then you are increasing your risk and lowering the statistical odds of an incident.

Link Posted: 1/3/2011 8:52:56 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Regarding Glocks, I got a light for my bedside hand gun - Sig 220. I decided I'd rather have my Glock20 chill in an evidence locker so I swapped out the light. Won't fit in its holster so I have it in the drawer of the bedside table without a round chambered. I just don't feel comfortable with an unholstered Glock and a chambered round.

Likewise on the unholstered Glock. They make a cheap little "Glock Block" that slips in behind the trigger for added piece of mind.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top