BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Next: ARFCOMMER's homes because the authorities claim their homes are "weapons factories"

Then they burn the evidence.

dont worry though.  the renter will have the book thrown at him, and has no evidence he was innocent, as his home burned down!
the police SAW what LOOKED like explosives. so thats enough to fuck this guy over for life?
it mentioned incomplete frag grenades. 50 bucks says they are the inert training grenades that one can buy at gunshows and online for 5$

Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hmmmm... man is arrested. Evidence is "found" but can't be removed. Man has not been convicted yet. So they burn the house down.

Something does not appear to be constitutionally correct here.

Now, do I think this guy is innocent? Nope.... but I do think proper procedure is not being followed here.

It goes like this....

1. Individual is arrested and charged with a crime; this is possible because of probable cause, evidence, crime committed in presence of officer/official. Innocent until proven guilty.

2. Both the State and the Charged individual is prepare for the trial. Evidence is collected, statements are made, etc....

3. Trial starts, evidence is presented, witnesses and charged individual testify, etc.... Trial ends and the jury decides.

4. If the charged individual is convicted, then the State can "remove" the explosives "safely". If burning it down is required, the State should reimburse the owner of the property (house) and also convicted individual for the lost property not related to the case.

But of course in this day and age..... that's not going to happen. Shit like this pisses me off especially since I'm a LEO. I'm for defending the rights of others.... the State is not doing that.

much as I believe this guy is guilty of even deeper crimes than bank robbery, this was my first thought too.

I agree with you but according to a friend of mine "in the know" as it were, it ain't just grenades and improvised explosives in that house. There is supposedly some bad, bad things in there. Things of a non explosive nature.

Some of the info has made it's way to the media, there is "unknown powder" in the home and I read something on another board about an official who went in that house having his arm blister after contacting one of the interior walls of the home.

That is why they are making such a huge deal about the controlled burn (evacuating the entire neighborhood, shutting down a major freeway etc). Looks like overreaction to most, but I believe there is a very valid reason for the way they are handling this.

I hope they know exactly what they are doing by letting this place burn, if some of what is supposedly in there survives the temperatures of the fire and gets cast about by the wind, it could be very, very bad.

It is a conflicting situation for sure and they are not handling it all properly IMO. Have also read the city went out of it's way to get a ruling to declare the house a "public nuisance" thereby denying the owner of the property any compensation for his loss (it is a rental house). Poor guy will probably get stuck with the bill for hazmat cleanup too.

Will be interesting to see what comes out in trial. Unique situation for sure and I am conflicted about the need preserve evidence and the right of the BG to a fair trial VS something very, very nasty getting out of that place and spreading.

Well, besides the gardener it hadn't got out up to this point, what's a few more months or whatever until they let the trial run its course?  On the surface, this certainly seems to be a pretty gross miscarriage of justice.  Especially the part about not compensating the property owner.

The Escondido PD can fuck up a wet dream.  They have a good history of fucking up investigations.  Hopefully the Sheriff's department will steer this case.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, if there was blister agent type stuff, or other home made bio or chem weapons, then the hot fire, while dangerous, and spreading toxic crap everywhere, should be better than the alternative.

TXL
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hmmmm... man is arrested. Evidence is "found" but can't be removed. Man has not been convicted yet. So they burn the house down.

Now, do I think this guy is innocent? Nope.... but I do think proper procedure is not being followed here.

It goes like this....

1. Individual is arrested and charged with a crime; this is possible because of probable cause, evidence, crime committed in presence of officer/official. Innocent until proven guilty.

2. Both the State and the Charged individual is prepare for the trial. Evidence is collected, statements are made, etc....

3. Trial starts, evidence is presented, witnesses and charged individual testify, etc.... Trial ends and the jury decides.

4. If the charged individual is convicted, then the State can "remove" the explosives "safely". If burning it down is required, the State should reimburse the owner of the property (house) and also convicted individual for the lost property not related to the case.

But of course in this day and age..... that's not going to happen. Shit like this pisses me off especially since I'm a LEO. I'm for defending the rights of others.... the State is not doing that.

much as I believe this guy is guilty of even deeper crimes than bank robbery, this was my first thought too.

I agree with you but according to a friend of mine "in the know" as it were, it ain't just grenades and improvised explosives in that house. There is supposedly some bad, bad things in there. Things of a non explosive nature.

Some of the info has made it's way to the media, there is "unknown powder" in the home and I read something on another board about an official who went in that house having his arm blister after contacting one of the interior walls of the home.

That is why they are making such a huge deal about the controlled burn (evacuating the entire neighborhood, shutting down a major freeway etc). Looks like overreaction to most, but I believe there is a very valid reason for the way they are handling this.

I hope they know exactly what they are doing by letting this place burn, if some of what is supposedly in there survives the temperatures of the fire and gets cast about by the wind, it could be very, very bad.

It is a conflicting situation for sure and they are not handling it all properly IMO. Have also read the city went out of it's way to get a ruling to declare the house a "public nuisance" thereby denying the owner of the property any compensation for his loss (it is a rental house). Poor guy will probably get stuck with the bill for hazmat cleanup too.

Will be interesting to see what comes out in trial. Unique situation for sure and I am conflicted about the need preserve evidence and the right of the BG to a fair trial VS something very, very nasty getting out of that place and spreading.

Well, besides the gardener it hadn't got out up to this point, what's a few more months or whatever until they let the trial run its course?  On the surface, this certainly seems to be a pretty gross miscarriage of justice.  Especially the part about not compensating the property owner.

I would bet that they have taken enough samples on site to easily convict this guy.  I don't get to take explosive materials into court.  I just take the lab reports.  They are going to do the same thing.

They have already run this through their legal system to get the go ahead..

Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#5]
There should have been music playing during that... there is some background music from one of the Clancy movies that would have been perfect.

maybe this...
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#6]
The owner, Michele Holt, paid $479,000 for the house in March 2005.

She's SOL.  Government is not obligated to pay for it, and there's no way her insurance is going to eat it.  She has about $450 K in mortgage debt on the place.

She'll probably have to declare bankruptcy.  Or she could call up her lender and say "I'm walking away from this.  Go ahead and foreclose."

Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

She's SOL.  Government is not obligated to pay for it, and there's no way her insurance is going to eat it.  She has about $450 K in mortgage debt on the place.

She'll probably have to declare bankruptcy.

...its for the children...

...and a warning to those that don't behave....
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah a lot of explosives in a residential area might not be the best idear

From my country Bang at 1:10 and Big Bang at 2:13

Whats the story behind this?

Were there any deaths?

That was really creepy when the second explosion, and the image bricks-up for a second and you see a child's face for just a second. I know it was just the shock-wave probably skipping the heads off the tape for a second and what was on the tape before being recorded over coming through.

However it looked a lot like a near-death experience, or the videographer's life flashing before his/her eyes or something.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It goes like this....

I would bet that they have taken enough samples on site to easily convict this guy.  I don't get to take explosive materials into court.  I just take the lab reports.  They are going to do the same thing.

So what?  He's not convicted yet, and as such is presumed innocent until proven otherwise (yeah, I know).  Good thing they burned his house the house belonging to the completely uninvolved and entirely innocent property owner down anyway.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

She'll probably have to declare bankruptcy.  Or she could call up her lender and say "I'm walking away from this.  Go ahead and foreclose."

The loss of the house is the least of the crap the property owner faces.

Wait till she gets the bill for the hazmat cleanup of the property. In addition she will probably face numerous lawsuits from the neighbors at least one person stuck in the resulting traffic, and possibly a bill from the city for the whole operation.

Interesting how once again a law designed to prosecute bad guys (slum lords, owners of crack houses and the like) winds up being used against a completely innocent property owner.

Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone have pictures of inside the house again?
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:39:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It goes like this....

It's been run through the "legal system"

Ah, I feel better now.

Certainly any defense (assuming the "legal system" allows such a thing) will not question ANY "evidence" gathered by the authorities...
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Next: ARFCOMMER's homes will burn because the authorities claim their homes are "weapons factories"

Then they burn the "evidence" before trial.

Burning is when you completely run out of options, LEO does not like to do it because you lose evidence, treehugger types don't like it because many of the chems used in explosive production is quite toxic, fire fighters don't like it because of the risk of fire spreading especially with the risk of a low order or high order explosions sends burning material hundreds of feet.

There is room at a Hazardous Devices at Redstone that is a replica of the living room of a bomber during the 60's.  Let me tell you, it would kill over 90% of Military EOD with ease.  The whole fucking place was one big booby trap, step on a rug - your dead, sit in a chair - your dead, bump a stool - your dead.   That house had to be burned, it just wasn't safe to be left.  The FBI only needed a booby trap or two for evidence to get a conviction.  IIRC, one of the old EOD techs at Hazardous devices cleared that one room IIRC, the guy was a legend in the Army community, he passed a few years ago.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone have pictures of inside the house again?

anyway to prove those pics (if any) are original, unaltered and from inside that house at this time?
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Could be worse, at least his house isn't full of explosives and whale meat.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:44:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So what?  He's not convicted yet, and as such is presumed innocent until proven otherwise (yeah, I know).  Good thing they burned his house the house belonging to the completely uninvolved and entirely innocent property owner down anyway.

Not really sure what you are getting at here.  Of course he is innocent until proven guilty..  What does burning the house down have anything to do with court.  If his defense wants to send samples off to an independant lab, so be it..
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Next: ARFCOMMER's homes will burn because the authorities claim their homes are "weapons factories"

Burning is when you completely run out of options, LEO does not like to do it because you lose evidence, treehugger types don't like it because many of the chems used in explosive production is quite toxic, fire fighters don't like it because of the risk of fire spreading especially with the risk of a low order or high order explosions sends burning material hundreds of feet.

There is room at a Hazardous Devices at Redstone that is a replica of the living room of a bomber during the 60's.  Let me tell you, it would kill over 90% of Military EOD with ease.  The whole fucking place was one big booby trap, step on a rug - your dead, sit in a chair - your dead, bump a stool - your dead.   That house had to be burned, it just wasn't safe to be left.  The FBI only needed a booby trap or two for evidence to get a conviction.  IIRC, one of the old EOD techs at Hazardous devices cleared that one room IIRC, the guy was a legend in the Army community, he passed a few years ago.

Yea, you have no evidence.

It just went up in smoke.

The authorities have burned a known, established innocent owners property based on allegations, nothing more.

Saddled that owner with the loss of property...

...and thousands of dollars in clean-up...

on allegations.

No one has been convicted of anything.

Supposedly, the "justice" system provides for an adequate defense, including examining evidence and questioning witnesses, challenging evidence introduced in a court, gathering their own evidence and presenting a defense to any and all charges etc.

Its not like authorities have never lied, framed an innocent, planted evidence, even committed murder on their behalf.

Good luck with that fair trial thing.

Gee, .gov just gets better with age, don't it?
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really sure what you are getting at here.  Of course he is innocent until proven guilty..  What does burning the house down have anything to do with court.  If his defense wants to send samples off to an independant lab, so be it..

So that's his property inside the house, and the house itself belongs to its respective owner.  IF the guy were found not guilty, he's fucked out of whatever stuff he had in the house, and the property owner is fucked out of the entire house (plus cost of hazmat cleanup and whatever else she gets billed for).  But now it doesn't matter, because they jumped the gun and destroyed all of their shit.  And even if he's found guilty, both parties are still deprived of all of the shit that got destroyed in the fire.  Do tell how the property owner was in any way culpable in this, and deserves the loss of her property in this manner.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was this place booby trapped? Ive not seen booby trap mentioned at all.

Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#20]
That really, really sucks for the homeowner.

Justice prevails...?
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just used the booby trapped room as an example however if one were to say step on explosives that say have crystallized and are on the ground, the end result could be the same –– a big bang.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the Govt will re-compensate the owner at the market worth of the building, something like how a eminent domain situation works.

ETA: I can't blame the Govt too much, it was the dumbass occupant who turned the building into a explosives lab who is to blame.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the Govt will re-compensate the owner at the market worth of the building, something like how a eminent domain situation works.

...and you base this "belief" on.........?

Not that compensation would relieve the gross unconstitutionality of these actions (IMHO)
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: I can't blame the Govt too much, it was the dumbass occupant who turned the building into a explosives lab who is to blame.

From the previous page, although there is no cite for it.

Have also read the city went out of it's way to get a ruling to declare the house a "public nuisance" thereby denying the owner of the property any compensation for his loss (it is a rental house).
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And your proof of this occupants conduct is........?
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah a lot of explosives in a residential area might not be the best idear

From my country Bang at 1:10 and Big Bang at 2:13

Whats the story behind this?

Were there any deaths?

That was really creepy when the second explosion, and the image bricks-up for a second and you see a child's face for just a second. I know it was just the shock-wave probably skipping the heads off the tape for a second and what was on the tape before being recorded over coming through.

However it looked a lot like a near-death experience, or the videographer's life flashing before his/her eyes or something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enschede_fireworks_disaster
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#27]
harharhar

dont come to my house
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait till she gets the bill for the hazmat cleanup of the property. In addition she will probably face numerous lawsuits from the neighbors at least one person stuck in the resulting traffic, and possibly a bill from the city for the whole operation.

Interesting how once again a law designed to prosecute bad guys (slum lords, owners of crack houses and the like) winds up being used against a completely innocent property owner.

ok i really do not understand how the HOME OWNER is in any way responsible for this fuck up.
the tenant, yes. the actual owner of the house?
WHAT THE FUCK
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#29]
this was a very bad idea....

destroying evidence in the name of "saftey" is not a just outcome.

while it was likely the safest and least costly solution, it was far from the only one.

frankly, if this sort of stuff keeps happening I can see a very lucrative business opportunity for a company to provide minimally damaging EOD services...

Link Posted: 12/9/2010 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
this was a very bad idea....

destroying evidence in the name of "saftey" is not a just outcome.

while it was likely the safest and least costly solution, it was far from the only one.

frankly, if this sort of stuff keeps happening I can see a very lucrative business opportunity for a company to provide minimally damaging EOD services...

Dyncorp could hire teenage boys to go in and clean it out...
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Seems he is a Serbian national.

Link
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She wasn't responsible for the hazardous materials or any of the ensuing hilarity.  It would be pretty tacky for the county to bill her for anything.  I'm not sure that it can; but she can avoid it all by declaring bankruptcy.

Link Posted: 12/9/2010 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

ok i really do not understand how the HOME OWNER is in any way responsible for this fuck up.
the tenant, yes. the actual owner of the house?
WHAT THE FUCK

The tenant is out of work and now cooling his ass in jail, he's essentially judgment-proof.

The landlord at least, for now, has some assets. It's her responsibility to sue the tenant under the clauses of the rental agreement to recoup her costs from the state's lawsuit. That her tenant is judgment proof is not the state's problem. (Not in moral terms, but just in terms of civil law)

If she's smart/lucky, she LLC'd, or Inc.'d her rental property/business, and in that case, the Inc. can just file bankruptcy and go tits-up, and she has no personal liability.

Hell, if I were a landlord and owned multiple rental homes, I might seriously consider Incorporating each damn house separately in Delaware or wherever's cheap should one of them wind up having a meth-lab in it or whatnot. (assuming it's legal here in WI, or wherever I was operating.)

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top