Posted: 10/26/2010 5:31:16 PM EDT
is there a FAQ on this?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#1]
If you said "capnrob97 is a pond scum sucking cunt face'

That would be a personal attack.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Do a Google search on "argumentum ad hominem".
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on which Mod reads the thread. Seriously.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

So even if it's true you still get in trouble?
j/k

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What if it's true?

6 freaking seconds.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#6]
How old are you, that you do not know what constitutes a personal attack?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:34:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Did you get your pee pee smacked?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Unless it was true.

You guys type faster than I do.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#9]
so, if you said "you're ignorant", is that a personal attack?

what if you said "you're a fucking moron"?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

no, are you offering?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no, are you offering?

Try TRG, I heard he swings that way.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

my actual age or my emotional maturity level?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#13]
What is a person who feels so wounded by an anonymous "personal attack" on the internet, that they have to report it to ANOTHER anonymous person on the internet?

People say stuff. People who can't handle it, can always click the little "x".

Sometimes, it's all in the family.
Sometimes it's an idiot.

Never say anything that you wouldn't say to someone's face.

In that vein, alot of the the Truther talk would result in a punch in the nose -yet it is more acceptable here than to call someone a "fucking retard".

If one demonstrates weakness, there's nothing wrong with labeling that person as "weak", or even "pathetically weak".

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

no, are you offering?

hmmm, and I think he lives near me too
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Depends on the mod.  Saying something like, "You appear to be ignorant of the facts," might be much more acceptable than, "you're an effing moron".
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I don't know.

You don't know anything you fucking twit!  Leave the thread and go back to fucking sheep or whatever you do on Tuesday nights.

Jackass.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Just think before you hit the submit button.

Arguments aren't worth losing your account over.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes and yes.

What constitutes Law Enforcement bashing?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't know.

You don't know anything you fucking twit!  Leave the thread and go back to fucking sheep or whatever you do on Tuesday nights.

Jackass.

That was the most personal attack I ever witnessed!
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It also depends on who is saying it. Some get away with a lot more than others.

I think its funny that you can not call someone a retard, but you can call them a derp derp. There is one member who calls people who disagree with him monkeys. Its also OK to call someone an 88 but you can not specificaly call them a  worthless piece of shit Nazi.

You can attack all you want as long as you do it right and skirt around actualy calling them what you mean to call them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have seen an increase in bans for it lately.  Maybe it is the new SIIHP..., CDT -edits, Tonks?

Tides will shift, the planets will move out of alignment and there will be other things that attract Staff/Mods attention.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:38:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

no, are you offering?

Personal Attack....oh wait... call me?

TRG
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What is a person who feels so wounded by an anonymous "personal attack" on the internet, that they have to report it to ANOTHER anonymous person on the internet?

STFU, n00b.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#25]
"G_ F_ck Y__rs_lf"

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#26]
someone got a timeout recently for mentioning that a member's wife had cheated on him in the past.  was that a personal attack?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think its funny that you can not call someone a retard, but you can call them a derp derp. There is one member who calls people who disagree with him monkeys. Its also OK to call someone an 88 but you can not specificaly call them a  worthless piece of shit Nazi.

You can attack all you want as long as you do it right and skirt around actualy calling them what you mean to call them.

There is one well-known poster that makes plenty of personal attacks, he just follows them up with the wink smiley and somehow, it's magically ok.  Of course, he has contributed a lot to this site and to the firearms hobby as well.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So just what the hell is a "Herp Derp Derp".  

I only attended a university and worked professionally, so I'm kind of out of touch with all the "Ebonics" or "Youth Speak" these days?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I got a warning for a "personal attack" when I claimed that people in general were bigoted (as if that is an insulting word to begin with) for opposing gay marriage.

I see people get away personal attacks on me and others all the time, even when the report button is used. It's pretty inconsistent IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Depends on the thread topic.

I have called truthers morons ,idiots  without a site staff warning.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

someone got a timeout recently for mentioning that a member's wife had cheated on him in the past.  was that a personal attack?

Apparently so if staff gave a time out. I would say if you have a doubt, don't hit the submit button.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just think before you hit the submit button.

Arguments aren't worth losing your account over.

I don't always make personal attacks,
but when I do, I think twice, and choose to delete them. ~Most Interesting Man Voice over.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's called working the system, people do it everyday. Hell, look at the last election.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and yes.

What constitutes Law Enforcement bashing?

Any post that may be construed as not supporting LE is bashing, just as any post that makes people question whether a cop did something wrong is trolling because it might lead to bashing.

ETA: it's similar to "furtive movement" in the LE world, it can mean what you want it to mean when you need it to mean something.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

my actual age or my emotional maturity level?

Same here, will be 38 in a couple months but some days it seems like I will be 5
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is one well-known poster that makes plenty of personal attacks, he just follows them up with the wink smiley and somehow, it's magically ok.  Of course, he has contributed a lot to this site and to the firearms hobby as well.

no one wants to ban grandpa
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#39]
FUCK YOU!!!!!!

How's that?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'd say that crosses a line. It's not just attacks, its insults as well.  There is also the rule about bringing someone's loved ones into it.

"6.) Attacking or insulting a person in an effort to elicit a negative response. You have a right to disagree, but please do so in a respectful manner"
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently so if staff gave a time out. I would say if you have a doubt, don't hit the submit button.

well, it may have violated a different rule than being a personal attack
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

STFU, n00b.

TRG

That's the sort of thing I would expect a lint-licking shitheel to type.

Not you, of course.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got hit by that train last week...
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

no kids no spouses big NO NO ask me how i know
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got hit by that train last week...

Post the link, I've never seen that person post a personal attack and would like to see proof.  You can IM the link if you prefer.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

well, it may have violated a different rule than being a personal attack

loopholes dont work here well not usually
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#47]
However, Truthers, Communists and Nazis are fair game.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

On the maturity scale, that person is slightly above the person who throws out such attacks and then gets so wounded by a response in kind that they have to hit the report button.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#49]
I think I know which thread the OP is referring to, and I would just use the ignore button and let that topic be.

You're never going to change some people's minds on things, especially a topic that causes a shitstorm every time it's discussed on this site.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Google "McUzi Rant"

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top