Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 9/12/2010 4:03:49 PM EDT
I was at church today and Communion was served,
and I was just thinking what others thought.

Do you believe it was Wine or Juice that Christ used in Communion?

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Christ used wine.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Wine.

But the issue is a stumbling block for many Christians today.  As such, its permissible to use wine, juice, or whatever.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Bacardi 151
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I have no idea what they use here...but if they use wine they gotta go somewhere else to buy it so I'm going to guess juice.....
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Wine. Without chemical preservatives and refrigeration it's just about impossible to prevent fermentation.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Welches for sure.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wine.

But the issue is a stumbling block for many Christians today.  As such, its permissible to use wine, juice, or whatever.

This is pretty much my thoughts.

If my brethren take issue with wine then it is
better to not offend or cause them to stumble.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#8]
It is clear in Jewish tradition that the four cups used at Passover are to be wine.  He was an observant Jew therefore it must be wine.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I go to a Southern Baptist church, so it's concord grape juice for us.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It is clear in Jewish tradition that the four cups used at Passover are to be wine.  He was an observant Jew therefore it must be wine.

Explain the Four cups please (showing my ignorance)
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#11]
My United Church of Christ church offers the choice of wine(Mogen David) or grape juice(Welch's white grape)
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#13]
woops.  voted before reading...

Thought the poll was about which I prefer... I made a commitment never to drink alcohol...

as far as what Jesus drank.  It was wine.  Probably cheap wine.  Back then having a little alcohol in your drink was the most effective way to ensure there wasn't something really bad living in it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I go to a Southern Baptist church, so it's concord grape juice for us.

That is just one of the reasons I left the Southern Baptist Church. I figured if they couldn't get that right or be honest about it (though I have met one Baptist minister who preached that of course Jesus used wine but that the SBC feels alcohol is bad and discourages it's use, but that policy is NOT biblical) then I was out. So I am a catholic, like my dad. And WE GET EVERYTHING right!!! (

That all said, it is better to use grape juice so that the recovering drunks can have communion as well as pregnant women.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I was actually told by someone,a deacon or the Church of God, that " wine wasn't alcoholic in the time of Christ" and hence was the reason for using juice.

I'm a teetotaler to being with but was a little at this proclamation.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Wine.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not trying to start an argument or be offensive, but isn't it time people recognize this ritual for what it is (ritual cannibalism) and consign it to the dust-bins of history? Doesn't it make you the least bit uncomfortable pretending to eat the flesh and drink the blood of another human? Seriously, I'm just curious, and would like your opinions without squabbling over who's right and who's wrong.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I was actually told by someone,a deacon or the Church of God, that " wine wasn't alcoholic in the time of Christ" and hence was the reason for using juice.

The Wedding of Cana disproves this idea.  After Jesus turned the water into wine, someone at the wedding pointed out that tradition of serving good wine first, and cheap stuff later.  The reason is that if people are doing a lot of drinking, you can whip out the cheap stuff and most won't even notice.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'm not trying to start an argument or be offensive, but isn't it time people recognize this ritual for what it is (ritual cannibalism) and consign it to the dust-bins of history? Doesn't it make you the least bit uncomfortable pretending to eat the flesh and drink the blood of another human? Seriously, I'm just curious, and would like your opinions without squabbling over who's right and who's wrong.

Are you just trying to be facetious, or do you really think a person is being eaten?

"Do this in memory of me..."

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Blood.

But of course they drank wine the rest of the time.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I believe it was wine.  Before the invention of the refrigerator it was common to turn fruit into wine and grain into beer as a means of preserving the crop.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#22]
There are four cups of wine that are to be drunk at different parts of the Passover feast. At the Last Supper Christ drank three and said he would not drink again until he came into his kingdom.  On the cross he asked for a drink, took the common wnie offered him and said "it is done".  This is considered the fouth drink of wine.  

If you go back to Exodus you can read all about the Passover dinner regulations which are still followed today.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wine. Without chemical preservatives and refrigeration it's just about impossible to prevent fermentation.

my understanding as well.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Purple drank.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There are four cups of wine that are to be drunk at different parts of the Passover feast. At the Last Supper Christ drank three and said he would not drink again until he came into his kingdom.  On the cross he asked for a drink, took the common wnie offered him and said "it is done".  This is considered the fouth drink of wine.  

If you go back to Exodus you can read all about the Passover dinner regulations which are v
Still followed today.

Thank you

I need to go see my Jewish friends (Born Again Jews)
and have them explain passover to me in depth
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Purple drank.

Grape Drank!!!  

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No offense taken. The act is one of symolic meaning to become one with the suffering and mission of Christ. The "cannibalism" arguement is exactly what the early oppoents of the Christian (Cult at that time) sought to justify their persecution of Christians. In all due deference to our Catholic friends, the ritual does not involve either the literal consumption of blood and flesh, nor the "pretense" of doing so.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Wine.  A common drink of the day.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Wine. And the mass in Latin. I roll old school you heathens.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

IF you believe The Bible, and IF The Bible commands ritual cannibalism, then why would you ever consign it to the dust-bins of history? If one really does believe The Bible, then, I imagine that their comfort or discomfort with any one particular command is of little importance.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Christ used wine.

This. He drank it, and the consequently the Bible doesn't say "dont drink." it just says don't get drunk

"Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit." - Ephesians 5:18
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Bacardi 151

Yep. That guy knew how to party.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Maybe its my Catholic upbringing, but even as an agnostic, wine is obviously the correct answer. Throughout most of history alcoholic beverages in one form or another were chosen do to the danger of drinking stagnant water without modern medical care. Also as others have said the historical figure known as Jesus was an observant Jew, why would he break with established Jewish and social norms and drink juice? Just doesnt make sense, and seems to be neo-temperence movement horseshit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No offense taken. The act is one of symolic meaning to become one with the suffering and mission of Christ. The "cannibalism" arguement is exactly what the early oppoents of the Christian (Cult at that time) sought to justify their persecution of Christians. In all due deference to our Catholic friends, the ritual does not involve either the literal consumption of blood and flesh, nor the "pretense" of doing so.

Actually one of the meanings of communion is "the act of sharing, or holding in common; participation."

Taking communion is a sharing of substance (food and drink)  together, Eating and
drinking are intimate acts it is like sharing a meal with someone, you are sharing a bond.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Whether or not you choose to believe in transubstantiation, the idea behind it is that your are physically "communing" with a being you worship as your deity. Even if you believe in transubstantiation (and thus that you are litterally consuming the flesh of Christ) its difficult to argue that the act is cannabalism since the being your are consuming is divine, rather than simply another human being as in the classical definition of cannabalism.

Keep in mind that this arguement is academic. I'm agnostic.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm protestant so you will have to excuse me but  I never quite
understood why the Catholics sitting in a service in a language
(Latan) that they do not understand.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Explain the Four cups please (showing my ignorance)

Watch both of these. You'll learn a heck of a lot. Zola explains the origin and significance of Passover and demonstrates the feast where Christ is revealed through its very elements. This is one of the most basic and important Bible studies, shedding clear light on the mysteries of the Lord’s Supper.

Zola Levitt Presents: The Miracle of Passover, part 1

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Purple drank.

Grape Drank!!!  

U isn't ghetto if your drink is flavor. The drank is purple as in the color, no flavors up in this bitch. Gimme that purple drank!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#39]
wine
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#40]
The wine they used back then was not like modern wine.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually one of the meanings of communion is "the act of sharing, or holding in common; participation."

Taking communion is a sharing of substance (food and drink)  together, Eating and
drinking are intimate acts it is like sharing a meal with someone, you are sharing a bond.

Now that I can understand, and it doesn't sound like ritual cannibalism, but what's with the whole "blood of Christ, body of Christ" thing?

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#42]
boones' farm.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm Catholic.

I have Irish in me.

We do the wine thing.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Jameson
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#45]
What's the Word?  It's Thunderbird!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm protestant so you will have to excuse me but  I never quite

understood why the Catholics sitting in a service in a language

(Latan) that they do not understand.

They more or less quit that although some old timers are just completely pissed about it.  My mother can recite the Latin mass and understand it.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The wine they used back then was not like modern wine.

In what way? I'm not a wine afficianado, but if your claiming that it was somehow non-alcoholic then that is a pretty revisionist perspective historically speaking.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Purple drank.

Grape Drank!!!  

U isn't ghetto if your drink is flavor. The drank is purple as in the color, no flavors up in this bitch. Gimme that purple drank!!!

Naw fool!  You trippin'!  Here in da hoodz in da B-Town. we gots da Grape drank!  Fuckin' fool be all up in here trippin bouts 'Parple Drank' an' shit.  Parple ain't no flava I ever hear of.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Christ used wine.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Christ used wine.

Christ used wine, I'll never drink so it had better be juice.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top