Site Notices
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:00:43 AM EDT
[#1]
HIPAA should smack that down.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yeah.  That shouldn't happen.  But, some animals are more equal than others.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah, it aint gonna happen. Stupid to even ask.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:07:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Hopefully, but with the brave new world of Obamacare on the horizon who the hell knows?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:08:41 AM EDT
[#5]
A whole lot of WTF coming out of North Carolia these days.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:09:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Norht Carolina ain't as "south" as you would think. They actually have a lot of big government ideas in that state.

Lived there for a year, didn't care for it at all.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:09:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Do They have Restrictions on Firearms ownership if person is prescribed powerfull Psychotropic Drugs by Shrink & Psychologist & Dr. in NC ? (Like California ?)
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#8]
They might want it, but we sure won't let them just have a list of our patients/information. Seems like governing agencies have had several run-ins with HIPPA in this state recently and I suspect that this one will go just as far as those did. This is the first time I have heard about this topic making the news, though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:11:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully, but with the brave new world of Obamacare on the horizon who the hell knows?

I know I know even Firearm restrictions are not out of the realm of potentiality...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:12:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I really don't see the need for this
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#11]
He can want all he wants. Never gonna happen.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Some LEOs are a problem.    Dang that pesky 4th Amendment.  I read stories like this, and shake my head.  All the LEO types I've met and dealt with, over the years, have been good folks (local, county, state, some fed).
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:15:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Some LEOs are a problem.    Dang that pesky 4th Amendment.  I read stories like this, and shake my head.  All the LEO types I've met and dealt with, over the years, have been good folks (local, county, state, some fed).

Their Higher Ups are mostly Anti-s and morph into political animals ...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:17:24 AM EDT
[#14]

The sheriffs shouldn't have the list, but the pharmacies should.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#15]
"NC Sheriffs want lists of patients using painkillers"

And then they will revoke their CCW's.         TT
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:19:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Chicken little posts will not be tolerated here at ar15.com BAN HIM gif !
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:20:29 AM EDT
[#17]
HIPPA won't protect those after the new Healthcare bill goes into effect and the .gov is in charge of maintaining these databases (on second thought wasn't this in the TARP bill and not the Healthcare bill?)
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Norht Carolina ain't as "south" as you would think. They actually have a lot of big government ideas in that state.

California of the south ...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:31:07 AM EDT
[#19]
There are states that already have this, when I go to get refills on my narcs my Dr prints out the list to see if I have been getting them from other Dr's.

Here is a list of the states that already have it.

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/faq/rx_monitor.htm

Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:32:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
HIPPA won't protect those after the new Healthcare bill goes into effect and the .gov is in charge of maintaining these databases (on second thought wasn't this in the TARP bill and not the Healthcare bill?)

Yeah, the medical records database thing was part of TARP, not HCR.  People were so focused on the bank bailouts that it flew way under the radar.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:32:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Asheville is a hippy colony and Charlotte is lower NY/NJ now, Highlands is a society of upper class assholes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chicken little posts will not be tolerated here at ar15.com BAN HIM gif !

isn't it ironic, don't ya think...

TXL
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:52:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Asheville is a hippy colony and Charlotte is lower NY/NJ now, Highlands is a society of upper class assholes.

come on now, it isn't that bad .... well you are correct about ashville ... charlotte, is turning into upstate ny ... highlands, ... well ok, you got me on that one as well .. the state does have the whole concept of "big .gov" ... but it's not nearly as bad as NY,NJ, or the peoples republic of Kalifornia, i could'nt convince my wife to move 10 min south to SC, but dammit i did try...

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Bingo,,, just had surgery and part of the shit u sign is a release of info to the feds
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#25]

I got to get out of tidewater before it's too late.

Not only do I have to worry about The disease spreading from the North but now I have to worry about it crossing the border from the south.

I hope I win the lottery so I can move to Arizona, build a ranch, and be left the fuck alone.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Remeber the NRA backed newly strengthened Brady bill from a few years ago, yeah, you were warned
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#27]
I didn't read the article, but I imagine LE is trying to clamp down on those who are prescribing pain meds to those that don't need it.  There's lots of it going around-a big problem right her in good old J-Action-Ville.  I can only imagine what the problem is like in the rest of the state.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not only do I have to worry about The disease spreading from the North but now I have to worry about it crossing the border from the south.

I hope I win the lottery so I can move to Arizona, build a ranch, and be left the fuck alone.

My dream as well - I mean way the fuck out in the middle of nowhere, with tank traps, spider holes, APCs and maybe even a tank and chopper, some 50 caliber NFA machine gun goodness . . . and be left alone.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Fix- L.E. makes a list of convicted persons on prescription abuse-related charges and gives it out to other L.E. agencies as well as requesting ER and medical facilities. The other way around doesn't make sense- HIPPA violation- He should train his people to do the own work- convictions are PUBLIC record- What kind of drugs your doctor gives you is NOT.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:43:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

There are states that already have this, when I go to get refills on my narcs my Dr prints out the list to see if I have been getting them from other Dr's.

Here is a list of the states that already have it.

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/faq/rx_monitor.htm

Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

Those lists are used by MDs and pharmacists to ensure they aren't enabling drug seekers, not by LEOs.

Since the Pt is asking the MD for the prescription it is OK to look it up under HIPPA. Thats the way it was explained to me.

Any other use would be a HIPPA violation and you'd be subject to a federal bitch slap.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Sheriffs in North Carolina want access to state computer records identifying anyone with prescriptions for powerful painkillers and other controlled substances.

The state sheriff's association pushed the idea Tuesday, saying the move would help them make drug arrests and curb a growing problem of prescription drug abuse. But patient advocates say opening up people's medicine cabinets to law enforcement would deal a devastating blow to privacy rights.

Allowing sheriffs' offices and other law enforcement officials to use the state's computerized list would vastly widen the circle of people with access to information on prescriptions written for millions of people. As it stands now, doctors and pharmacists are the main users.

The fuck? LEO aside, how the fuck does the State get away with keeping a database of who is prescribed what?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

NC has been a hive of over-officious jerks for quite some time. Yeah a move from the Tidewater are would be a good one. Just don't go to N. Va.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:55:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Sheriffs in North Carolina want access to state computer records identifying anyone with prescriptions for powerful painkillers and other controlled substances.

The state sheriff's association pushed the idea Tuesday, saying the move would help them make drug arrests and curb a growing problem of prescription drug abuse. But patient advocates say opening up people's medicine cabinets to law enforcement would deal a devastating blow to privacy rights.

Allowing sheriffs' offices and other law enforcement officials to use the state's computerized list would vastly widen the circle of people with access to information on prescriptions written for millions of people. As it stands now, doctors and pharmacists are the main users.

The fuck? LEO aside, how the fuck does the State get away with keeping a database of who is prescribed what?

It slows down the legions of drugseekers who clog up ERs and doctor's offices looking for painkillers with a plethora of bullshit complaints, and go from doctor to doctor as a full time job.  They run up huge unpaid medical bills, which eventually the rest of us pay in the form of higher costs, closed hospitals,  etc, and then either take or sell the pills.

This happens all day, every day.  I've seen it over and over.

One of the funniest things I've seen in a long time was a young woman with a bullshit complaint have a screaming temper tantrum and then go huffing out of the ER when the doctor showed her the pages-long summary of her recent prescriptions and told her to pound sand.

It also makes it easier on the legitimately sick or injured when they need meds.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Do They have Restrictions on Firearms ownership if person is prescribed powerfull Psychotropic Drugs by Shrink & Psychologist & Dr. in NC ? (Like California ?)

No

ETA: legal hydrocodone prescribed for oral surgery last year

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx135/AssaultRifler/Misc/2010/09/Drugs00.jpg

That looks like a motivational poster waiting to happen- or an after school special- I'm gonna take a pic of my gun with a handful of flinstone vitamins
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:33:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx135/AssaultRifler/Misc/2010/09/Drugs00.jpg

ETA: legal hydrocodone prescribed for oral surgery last year

No one mentioned Painkillers  ,I'm talking the Psychotropic Mind bender shit that Irvine California Liberal Zero votin Soccer Moms take...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And what about Cary?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:45:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Its so they can restrict gun purchases and CCW applications.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#40]
You can thank the liberals and big city type thinkers that have swarmed down here from the North for this kind of shit......
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Its so they can restrict gun purchases and CCW applications.

Good point. You have to get the Sheriff's permission to buy a handgun in NC.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#42]
NC Sheriff should ask for the lists on their own people first.  It would wake them up, I'd bet.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Very true.   We've been overwhelmed by an influx of liberal yankees for the past twenty years.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:26:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true.   We've been overwhelmed by an influx of liberal yankees for the past twenty years.

My wife wanted to look at Asheville - not only No, but HELL NO!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:43:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Bad idea for LEO to have that info.

Good idea for prescribers to have that info. It is nice to know when someone has been prescribed hundreds of narcotics in the last few months.

I love telling a junkie to take ibuprofen.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:55:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And what about Cary?

What is wrong with The People's Republic of Cary...Comrade?

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:01:03 AM EDT
[#47]
It's really very simple -

Do you have a warrant?  No?  Fuck off.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:32:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
NC Sheriff should ask for the lists on their own people first.  It would wake them up, I'd bet.

Winner!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:16:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Jesus, the fucking hubris of these assholes to even come up with such an idea.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:55:40 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Remeber the NRA backed newly strengthened Brady bill from a few years ago, yeah, you were warned

Please explain.  In detail, with citations - and not from Infowars or GOA.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top