Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/3/2010 7:56:25 AM EDT
Acid Attack Victim Could Hear Her Skin 'Sizzling'

(Sept. 3) –– A Vancouver, Wash., woman attacked with acid on her way to a Starbucks coffee shop says she could feel her face sizzling as her skin began to burn.

"It was the most painful thing," 28-year-old Bethany Storro told reporters. "My heart stopped. I almost passed out. Once it hit me, I could actually hear it bubbling and sizzling on my skin."

Storro was getting something out of her car outside a Starbucks on Aug. 30 when she saw a woman, around her own age, standing before her and heard the chilling words that would change her life: "Hey, pretty little girl, want to take a drink of this?"

Then, inexplicably, the woman threw a cup of acid-like liquid in Storro's face, sending her screaming out in pain in the middle of the busy street. Passers-by rushed to her aid and called 911.

Storro had just moved to Vancouver, just north of Portland, Ore., to be with her parents after living in Idaho. She said she had never seen her attacker before that day. Police say the bizarre and horrific acid assault –– far more common in other areas of the world –– appears to be random. There are so far no suspects, and the motive remains unclear.

The acid was so strong that parts of Storro's shirt simply disintegrated, The Oregonian reported. Doctors said Storro suffered second-degree burns all over her face –– except, fortunately, on her eyes, which were protected by a pair of sunglasses she bought less than an hour before the attack. Doctors said the glasses may have saved her eyesight.

But the excruciating pain didn't stop Storro –– who is hard of hearing because of two bouts of spinal meningitis she suffered as a child –– from joking around Thursday night in front of family members and reporters.

"Oh, my gosh, to be hard of hearing and blind? That would drive them nuts," she said of her parents. "They have to be in the same room for me to hear them. I'm just so glad it's a miracle."

Her father, Joe Neuwelt, was less jovial. "You can imagine how I feel," he said. "This is my little girl." Her mother, Nancy Neuwelt, called the attack "an act of evil," according to The Associated Press.

Storro described the attacker as a black woman in her late 20s or early 30s, with her hair pulled back into a ponytail, according to The Oregonian. She said she could feel the woman's rage.

"I have never, ever seen this girl in my entire life," Storro told reporters Thursday. "When I first saw her, she had this weirdness about her –– like jealousy, rage."

Storro underwent surgery Wednesday to remove some of the charred skin, a procedure doctors said was successful, CBS reported. She is expected to make a full recovery, but it will be a long process. Storro said she will eventually forgive her attacker.

"In time I'm going to forgive her because if I don't then it's hard to move on with my life," she said.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#1]
You can forgive someone but still shoot them in the face if you ever see them again can't you?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:11:33 AM EDT
[#2]
The victim:

This happened a few miles from where I live.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You can forgive someone but still shoot them in the face if you ever see them again can't you?

Absolutely.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:17:04 AM EDT
[#4]
"In time I'm going to forgive her because if I don't then it's hard to move on with my life," she said.

"...Or," suggested a reader on the AR15.com website, "you could kill the bitch and be done with it."
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:20:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Despite what hundreds of horror movies has taught us, acids do not dissolve flesh on contact...

Still, it was a cowardly and tragic attack on a pretty young lady...
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#6]
You know, this makes me think, there is no punishment severe enough.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:24:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely.

Correct.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:44:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Has this attacker been apprehended?  Or, more conveniently, has she ended up in the bottom of a river?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:44:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:46:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I doubt she could hear anything over the sound her own screams of agony. What a fucked up thing to do to somebody.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Not a hate crime.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:48:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Did they catch the perp?

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:48:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:51:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Absolutely SICK.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

One should forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged. Heinrich Heine

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:53:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Jealousy
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#17]
She is seriously lucky- especially the eyes.

Those burns could have been a WHOLE lot worse.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Absolutely SICK.

this. they need to find that attacker and tear her skin off

Acting off rage with a concealed weapon or nearby object is one thing but carrying a cup of acid for this specific purpose is just sick
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Saw that story this morning. Poor lady.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:01:09 AM EDT
[#21]
i cant post my thoughts on here as I would probably be charged with a hate crime myself
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:01:41 AM EDT
[#22]

She was a cutie, and I'll bet she's cute again, she's had some plastic surgery and she's young, and should heal well. I hope that catch that militant lesbian who did that and return the favor.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I'm not sure how you interpret "lucky", but I'm thinking getting acid thrown in your face isn't such a lucky thing, unless you mean bad luck.

Yes, it could have been worse.  I hope they catch the attacker and send her away for good.  People capable of doing this, much less doing it to a stranger who's never done anything to them, are beyond help, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#24]
And the savage who did this will strike again.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have a few ideas.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#26]
The hand of god itself could not stop me if i was her father.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#27]
While having her skin graphs / reconstructive surgery she should have that bulbous nose fixed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

What a fucked up thing to do to somebody.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a few ideas.

she should be repaid in kind. with a good basic solution instead of acid.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Give him a taste of his own medicine.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#31]

not nearly as bad as i thought it would be. she will recover and still be a cutie.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#32]
The cops will be able to find the creature that did this. She won't be able to keep from bragging about it, and someone will talk.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#33]
I'd hang her attacher with her intestines...
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Has this attacker been apprehended?  Or, more conveniently, has she ended up in the bottom of a river?

Last I heard she's still on the loose,Jesus there are some cold hearted people in this world.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Hmmm, Vancouver Washington outside a Starbucks?  

Anarchist types?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure how you interpret "lucky", but I'm thinking getting acid thrown in your face isn't such a lucky thing, unless you mean bad luck.

Yes, it could have been worse.  I hope they catch the attacker and send her away for good.  People capable of doing this, much less doing it to a stranger who's never done anything to them, are beyond help, in my opinion.

She was lucky ins the sense that for an acid burn, her injuries seem to be relatively minor. A simple Google search will show how bad an acid attack can be.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:34:18 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

She was lucky ins the sense that for an acid burn, her injuries seem to be relatively minor. A simple Google search will show how bad an acid attack can be.

I'll post this again (I've kept this link for some time now, to remind myself how low some people are) for all to see:

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:41:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I'll post this again (I've kept this link for some time now, to remind myself how low some people are) for all to see:

I've seen some bad stuff, but sometimes I am still shocked at how truly evil man can be.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Scary...

I hit the Starbucks she was headed to a couple of times a month, I even meet customers there.

My father in-law also works at the Hilton on the other side of the park.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:02:58 AM EDT
[#40]
WHY IS THIS NOT BEING REPORTED AS A HATE CRIME?

Oh... I know why.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

+1 I have two daughters.  If someone hurts them, they had better turn themselves in or eat a bullet before I can get my hands on them.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Man that is really sad, most of them were very young when it happened too.  I do not understand the thought process of those people that would do this.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 I have two daughters.  If someone hurts them, they had better turn themselves in or eat a bullet before I can get my hands on them.

This.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
WHY IS THIS NOT BEING REPORTED AS A HATE CRIME?

Oh... I know why.

Because no one knows what it was about?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Huge +1

Hope the perpetrator is brought to justice.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bingo:

5 years probation - fair trade.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I think dropping the attacker into a vat of acid would be about right.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Man that is really sad, most of them were very young when it happened too.  I do not understand the thought process of those people that would do this.

What else would you expect from the religion of peace?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bingo:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GztVy14MvWY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GztVy14MvWY

5 years probation - fair trade.

That man deserved a medal.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#50]

In time, the skin will probably heal.

Except the nose, that will require surgery.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top