User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2010 8:58:37 PM EDT
'The Other Guys' Movie Poster Disarmed By Muni

We don't need no stinkin' pistols...

SF Weekly Blog
Aug, 5 2010
By Joe Eskenazi

The forthcoming Will Ferrell-Mark Wahlberg flick "The Other Guys" may yet be riddled with pot shots from film critics. Poor Ferrell and Wahlberg –– on Muni, they can't shoot back.

While the official poster for the film features a maniacal Ferrell and the menacing Wahlberg sailing through the air, guns drawn, the version in Muni stations features Ferrell brandishing a vial of pepper spray and Wahlberg relying upon his bare fists. This is not a coincidence.

"Well, the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency does have an advertising policy that states ads should not appear to promote the use of firearms or advocate any violent action," explains spokesman Paul Rose. You can read the stipulations against promoting "the use of firearms" and "imminent lawlessness or violent actions" right here.

​This kind of thing comes up several times a year, Rose says.

In any event, you won't be seeing posters like this, this, or this anytime soon in a Muni station.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I will pay Will $5 to stop making movies forever.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh the noes!! Guns in a movie poster!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats gay.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#4]
yet another reason california sucks..and yes i live here. if somebody could get my ex-wife to take a rocket to mars i'd be outa here with a quickness. but i got a two growing boys and a nice house, decent job and great girlfriend so i'll live with 10 round magazines and bullet buttons till my boys are older. then i'm f-ing gone! somebody sell me an acre in oregon, please.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'll pay $10.

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
yet another reason california sucks..and yes i live here. if somebody could get my ex-wife to take a rocket to mars i'd be outa here with a quickness. but i got a two growing boys and a nice house, decent job and great girlfriend so i'll live with 10 round magazines and bullet buttons till my boys are older. then i'm f-ing gone! somebody sell me an acre in oregon, please.

Get that acre now or rent a storage locker so you can get the good stuff and just keep it out of CA
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll pay $10.

If you guys are taking up a collection I will toss in a fivespot to help make American movies better by getting Will Ferrel out of them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

somebody sell me an acre in oregon, please.

1 Acre in Oregon: MLS# 10020271 $5.95 M

1 Acre in Oregon: MLS# 10046086 $7K.

www.rmls.com is your friend.

Come on up! Plenty of choice, even if your CA real estate is worth half what it was three years ago.

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

'The Other Guys' Movie Poster Disarmed By Muni

http://i33.tinypic.com/2e4gj6r.jpg

We don't need no stinkin' pistols...

​SF Weekly Blog

Aug, 5 2010

By Joe Eskenazi

The forthcoming Will Ferrell-Mark Wahlberg flick "The Other Guys" may yet be riddled with pot shots from film critics. Poor Ferrell and Wahlberg –– on Muni, they can't shoot back.

While the official poster for the film features a maniacal Ferrell and the menacing Wahlberg sailing through the air, guns drawn, the version in Muni stations features Ferrell brandishing a vial of pepper spray and Wahlberg relying upon his bare fists. This is not a coincidence.

"Well, the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency does have an advertising policy that states ads should not appear to promote the use of firearms exercise of a Civil Right or advocate any violent action," explains spokesman Paul Rose. You can read the stipulations against promoting "the use of firearms exercise of a Civil Right" and "imminent lawlessness or violent actions" right here.

​This kind of thing comes up several times a year, Rose says.

In any event, you won't be seeing posters like this, this, or this anytime soon in a Muni station.

This should not stand.  It would not stand if it were any other Civil Right.

I do not care a lick for Will Ferrell's movies.  

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The only movies I thought he was entertaining in was Zoolander and Austin Powers.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Reminded of when Matrix Reloaded came out.  The poster of The Twins, with one holding a straight razor was considered "too violent" by the UK and was replaced with a...

G36  

Not just one but TWO, whereas the original poster only had one razor in it.  

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#12]
If you have ever had the pleasure of riding Muni you would see that this is a good idea, you really don't want to encourage "those people" with imagery.

"Those people" is a reference to the homeless, mentally ill, junkies that tend to ride Muni, not a racial reference.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#13]
exp, your right. you only ride public transpo in the city if your looking to get messed with or too drunk to care.only time i'll go in the city is when i'm on my motorcycle. only way to fly in s.f. you can park damn near anywhere on a bike.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Im not a fan by any means but this one is actually pretty funny

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:56:31 PM EDT
[#15]

I live in San Francisco and have personally seen the correct movie posters –– with the pistols –– on park benches, bus stops, the sides of buses, billboards, etc.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you have ever had the pleasure of riding Muni you would see that this is a good idea, you really don't want to encourage "those people" with imagery.

"Those people" is a reference to the homeless, mentally ill, junkies that tend to ride Muni, not a racial reference.

You are right....I feel SO violent because I saw a picture of a icky gun.

You had better leave this forum or else you might start a rampage....pictures of guns everywhere!

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 10:29:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Stop focusing on the negative.  Since the policy forbids depictions of violence and the allowed pepper spray and fists, logic would dictate you can not be charged with a violent offense whilst using those items.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#18]
thats racist.....
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 10:48:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I live in San Francisco and have personally seen the correct movie posters –– with the pistols –– on park benches, bus stops, the sides of buses, billboards, etc.

From the same blog:

Update, Aug. 10: Interestingly, while the stars are disarmed in the posters within Muni stations, Wahlberg and Ferrell are packing heat on the sides of Muni vehicles –– an interesting, if nonsensical, double-standard.

Apparently, viewing guns is only forbidden while you're actually riding the Muni.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 10:52:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Mark Wahlberg is in the the photo..I see nothing wrong with it at all...
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Liberalism:  The free expression of pre-approved ideas.

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#22]
fuck SFO
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 11:15:45 PM EDT
[#23]
San Franciscans would probably be more comfortable seeing them holding dicks in their hands.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Reminded of when Matrix Reloaded came out.  The poster of The Twins, with one holding a straight razor was considered "too violent" by the UK and was replaced with a...

G36  

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_7NduKsyhQUo/TGI3k4p1GII/AAAAAAAAPP8/zOPCnoMmhDA/matrix-twins.thumbnail.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_7NduKsyhQUo/TGI3lJD4DxI/AAAAAAAAPQA/12rhfu9kP8g/Movie-Posters-The-Matrix-Reloaded––Twins––-UK-Version––239852.jpg  

those are UMPs

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 11:22:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

G36  

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_7NduKsyhQUo/TGI3k4p1GII/AAAAAAAAPP8/zOPCnoMmhDA/matrix-twins.thumbnail.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_7NduKsyhQUo/TGI3lJD4DxI/AAAAAAAAPQA/12rhfu9kP8g/Movie-Posters-The-Matrix-Reloaded––Twins––-UK-Version––239852.jpg  

Those are UMPs

doh beaten to the point

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top