Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2010 4:56:02 PM EDT
I just thought I'd show you guys an easy way to make a cheap loaf of bread at home that's really good.  The best part is, hands on time due to kneading is minimal, almost nonexistant.  Even you non-cooking gomers should probably be able to manage this one.  If not, have your wife, girlfriend, mother, mistress, or other random female do it for you.

Here's what you're gonna need to start out with.  

You need three cups of flour.  Whole wheat, all purpose, half and half, whatever.  I choose to do half and half this batch.
1.5 cups warm water
1.5 teaspoons of salt
0.25 teaspoons of dry active yeast

Pick a fairly large bowl for mixing.  This will rise.  Mix the flour and salt in a bowl.  Add the yeast to the water and let it dissolve for a couple of minutes.  Add the water to the salt and flour mix and stir it all together.  It will be very sticky and shaggy.  That's normal.  It'll look like this:

Cover it with plastic wrap like so:

Once it's mixed together and covered, treat it like a sore dick, meaning don't fuck with it.  Leave it on on the counter at room temp.  Let the yeast work for no less than 8 hours, although 12-18 is prefered.  I just mix it the night before I'm gonna bake it and leave it to sit overnight.  

The next morning, the dough should be a lot bigger and dotted with bubbles.  That's when it's ready.  Clean a part of your counter and lay down a bead of flour.  Use a spatula to dump the dough onto the flour.  

Flour the top of the dough and fold it over on itself a few times.  Return it to the bowl and let it rest covered for 15-20 minutes.  

Lay down a thick layer of flour on a clean towel and place the dough in the center.  Form it into a ball and flour the top of it.  

Cover it with the corners of the towel and place another towel on top of it.  Leave it rest for 1-2 hours.  

About 20 minutes before you're ready to bake it, take your baking container and place it in the oven while you preheat it to 475*.  You can use Corelle, Pyrex, cast iron Dutch oven, etc.  It has to have a cover.  You want it hot when you put the bread in it though.  

Uncover the dough.  It should be quite a bit bigger.

Dump the dough into the hot container and bake for a half hour with the cover on.  After a half hour, uncover it and bake it for 15-20 more minutes until it's golden brown.  

Once it's done baking, dump the bread onto a wire rack and let it cool for an hour or so before you eat it.  

I find it easier to slice it in half and then make crosswise slices from the half.  You can use a vegetable brush to brush some of the excess flour off of it, if desired.  

Not counting water and electricity, I figured the cost per loaf to be about 75-80 cents.  This loaf came out at just under 2 lbs, so it's a much better than the one pound loaves you buy at the store for $1.50.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
-2 for filthy burners...
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
-2 for filthy burners...

I'll get those two back once you see the finished product.  Besides, it's not like you eat off the bottom on the cooktop anyway.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:03:34 PM EDT
[#3]
This is the same recipe I use.  Has been posted in the Food & Garden section many times.

In fact, I'm gonna go mix up a batch now.  BRB...

ETA: ok, did mine with 2 cups white flour and 1 cup of rye flour, which I've never tried.  Had to add a touch more water as the rye flour really soaks it up.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been making bread this way for over two years now with a 1/3 - 2/3 ratio of wheat and white flour with added steel cut oats, sunflower seeds (unshelled you boneheads!) and oat bran added with a little extra water. We make two loaves a week, usually put up early Sunday morning and baked Sunday night before bed.

It rocks!
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Curious how this turns out; been interested in baking a loaf of bread.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Spot saved for future praise and/or snarky comment.

ETA:  Got enough flour caked on that crust?

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:29:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Get rid of that iodized salt, use kosher.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Where's the gun?  There at least needs to be a tape measure to document how much it rose overnight.
Link Posted: 7/24/2010 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Rye bread turned out very nice with a very mild rye flavor.  I like it better than the whole wheat loaves I've made.  Next time I'll try it with 50/50 white and rye flour.
Link Posted: 7/24/2010 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#10]
My 7-year old son Sam makes bread almost everyday for us - usually 3 loaves at a time, and from scratch.  Whole wheat, half whole/have regular, cinnamon raisin, zucchini bread, and regular old normal flour bread (no whole wheat).  Oh yeah, he also knows how to make flat-bread that we make pizza out of which is quite good as well

Jenny has a recipe he follows that is always dead-on.  Just measure out the ingredients correctly, throw 'em in the mixing bowl, churn it up, let it sit for a while for the yeast to work, and then put it in loaf pans after oiling them.  The only part of the process he doesn't do it putting the bread in the loaf pans and putting it in/taking it out of the oven.  The mixing and measuring he does by himself, though.

Link Posted: 7/24/2010 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Did eazy-e die of the aids before he finished baking his bread?
Link Posted: 7/24/2010 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#12]
hmmmm, never let my bread rise for that long.  Maybe 2-3 hours at the most.  Tagged for more pics and results
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

hmmmm, never let my bread rise for that long.  Maybe 2-3 hours at the most.  Tagged for more pics and results

Did you use the same recipe?

Waiting to see the fresh bread OP!

Link Posted: 7/25/2010 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#14]
tag
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Just what I was looking for!  

Looking forward to the next chapter!
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 12:41:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Posted on 7/23 @ 8pm

Quoted:

<snip>

Once it's mixed together and covered, treat it like a sore dick, meaning don't fuck with it.  Leave it on on the counter at room temp.  Let the yeast work for no less than 8 hours, although 12-18 is prefered.  I just mix it the night before I'm gonna bake it and leave it to sit overnight.  

To be continued tomorrow when the dough is ready.......

Update fail.

Need MOAR Pics!

Link Posted: 7/25/2010 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#17]
There wasn't much going on in the thread and I finished the bread early the next morning, so I forgot the pics.  I'll probably make another loaf in a couple of days.  I'll finish the tutorial then.  THer'es only about 1/4 of this loaf left anyway.  You don't want to see that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#18]
What do you do after the dough rises? I mixed some up and it's sitting as I type.

Link Posted: 7/25/2010 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#19]
tagged for future interest.
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What do you do after the dough rises? I mixed some up and it's sitting as I type.

I let mine rise for 12-18 hours.  When it's time to bake it...

- Preheat oven to 450 F with the loaf pan in the oven.
- Once loaf pan is hot, remove it from the oven and put it on a potholder on the stove.
- Very carefully, using a rubber scraper and without collapsing the dough too much, scrap the dough into the loaf pan.
- Cover loaf pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes (note - use a tall loaf pan as the bread rises in the oven).
- Remove foil and bake for 15 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool bread on a wire rack before slicing.

The recipes I've seen call for temps as high as 500 F with a total bake time of 35 minutes.  This method seems to work best with my oven; you'll have to experiment with yours.

If I use whole grain (wheat or rye) flour, I have to add about 1/4 cup more water to make the dough come out right.
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#21]
The sore dick comment made me laugh and then wife a little gaggy.

Tag for outcome.
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 3:16:11 PM EDT
[#22]
-10 for not using Bread flour. Sorry, that all purpose is crap when making bread, Use real bread flour instead. It'll bake up better.
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#23]
tag
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I let mine rise for 12-18 hours.  When it's time to bake it...

- Preheat oven to 450 F with the loaf pan in the oven.

- Once loaf pan is hot, remove it from the oven and put it on a potholder on the stove.

- Very carefully, using a rubber scraper and without collapsing the dough too much, scrap the dough into the loaf pan.

- Cover loaf pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes (note - use a tall loaf pan as the bread rises in the oven).

- Remove foil and bake for 15 more minutes.

- Remove from oven and cool bread on a wire rack before slicing.

The recipes I've seen call for temps as high as 500 F with a total bake time of 35 minutes.  This method seems to work best with my oven; you'll have to experiment with yours.

If I use whole grain (wheat or rye) flour, I have to add about 1/4 cup more water to make the dough come out right.

Thanks, Bubbles!

Link Posted: 7/25/2010 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
tag

Link Posted: 7/28/2010 4:00:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Updating.  Making another batch.  It's gonna go into the oven in a half hour or so.
Link Posted: 7/28/2010 4:10:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Tag!
Link Posted: 7/28/2010 4:14:11 AM EDT
[#28]
This took forever to load on my 28.8. I wish I had been warned
Link Posted: 7/28/2010 5:56:11 AM EDT
[#29]
It's bread!!!!!

Link Posted: 7/28/2010 7:49:23 AM EDT
[#30]
K, so since this is the idiots guide, I've got an idiot question:  If you wanted to make a loaf of bread, would you just put that lump of dough in a bread pan?
Link Posted: 7/28/2010 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
K, so since this is the idiots guide, I've got an idiot question:  If you wanted to make a loaf of bread, would you just put that lump of dough in a bread pan?

You could.  Just make sure it's big enough, since the dough will rise and make sure you have a way to cover it, cookie sheet on top, foil, etc.  You need to trap the humidity of it cooking inside for the first 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2010 8:02:05 AM EDT
[#32]
I use one of these –– got it for a wedding gift.  It works great, comes with a zillion recipes and options, and all you have to do is press "start" and forget it.

Link Posted: 7/28/2010 8:02:50 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

tag

Link Posted: 7/28/2010 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Can we get a cross section shot? I wanna see the rise. I'm not a huge fan of "dense" breads, but this looks interesting.
Link Posted: 7/28/2010 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Same recipe I use.  Only difference is I add about a pound of gruyere cheese.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2010 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

My 7-year old son Sam makes bread almost everyday for us - usually 3 loaves at a time, and from scratch.  Whole wheat, half whole/have regular, cinnamon raisin, zucchini bread, and regular old normal flour bread (no whole wheat).  Oh yeah, he also knows how to make flat-bread that we make pizza out of which is quite good as well

Jenny has a recipe he follows that is always dead-on.  Just measure out the ingredients correctly, throw 'em in the mixing bowl, churn it up, let it sit for a while for the yeast to work, and then put it in loaf pans after oiling them.  The only part of the process he doesn't do it putting the bread in the loaf pans and putting it in/taking it out of the oven.  The mixing and measuring he does by himself, though.

Props to your kid. When I was seven I think I could make a grilled cheese, maybe scrambled eggs.

Now you need to go camping and have some fun with the Dutch oven.

Link Posted: 7/28/2010 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#37]
tag
Link Posted: 7/29/2010 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm making this right now at work.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/29/2010 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#39]
From Julia Child:  Add a table spoon of wheat gluten to bread flour.  The gluten makes a great dough.
Link Posted: 7/29/2010 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm making this right now at work.  Thanks!

Let us know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2010 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Tag... Thanks for the tutorial.....
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#42]

I tried this the other day.  Bloody fantastic!

I thought it had too much salt though, so I will be cutting it down to 1tsp.  Other than that the taste and texture was fantastic

Link Posted: 8/8/2010 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#43]

That bread is pretty gangster.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I tried this the other day.  Bloody fantastic!

I thought it had too much salt though, so I will be cutting it down to 1tsp.  Other than that the taste and texture was fantastic

Glad you like it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Is it possible to freeze the dough for future use?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#46]
tag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top