Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Planet Terror is one of my favorite movies.  I still laugh myself breathless at the 'love scene' when it gets interrupted with the burnt reel, and boom!  Everything's on fire, half the cast is now wounded or dead...  roflmao!  And hey, you gotta love Rose!  The movie is over the top and cheesy, to perfection!

Deathproof.  Well, Good dialog at parts (the RKBA bit specifically), the Challenger/Charger car chase was spectacular, the first wreck, while excessively gory, was done very well (and was supposedly edited down from a much larger multi-car wreck).  Loved the Black Nova, and I thought Russell did a great job.  All that said, it really needed to be trimmed.  The first half was way, way too long and slow.  

I haven't seen Basterds yet.
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Death Proof fucking sucked.  Yes the cars where badass and the chicks were hot, but thats it.  he should have killed those bitches in the end.
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#3]
you either understand cinema and film or you don't.
if you do, it's a fine and very entertaining film. russell ruled... not his best work but fine.
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
you either understand cinema and film or you don't.
if you do, it's a fine and very entertaining film. russell ruled... not his best work but fine.

Yeah...I've heard that argument before here from people who think there is a deep brilliance in the bowel-filler that Tarantino produces.

Link Posted: 6/24/2010 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Planet Terror was pretty damn good for what it was.
Deathproof.......... eh, not so much.
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted: .........Another Tarantino movie that I liked was "From Dusk to Dawn."  Some of the best Tarantino dialogue in history.........

From Dusk to Dawn was perfect ......................... but only because I didn't know what was coming. When I picked it up at the video store, I thought it was just some ultra violent flick. Had I known what was in it, that might have spoiled it a lot.

On a side note, that's the problem with a lot of videos these days.......the person writing the synopsis gives away the key points of the movie before one even starts watching the movie. They've told you what the big secret that movie reveals half way through and take away a lot of the suspense that builds up to that.

Of course, they have done that before there were videos. My Mom and I were watching a movie channel ad for "Who's Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?" and the voice over was talking about the various deaths in the Clue style (Who by What in the Where) and my mother screamed at the idiot for he was revealing all the suspense before one even started watching the movie.

Back to Tarantino: he ought to know, as a lot of movie makers ought to know, that if they can make a name for themselves that people will go see their movies just because their name is on it, that's where the real prize is.

It's like a date I had once and my choices of movies were "Nell" and "Legends of the Fall"; I knew nothing of either but pick the latter because Anthony Hopkins was in it and to me, he's always a good draw.
("They wanted you to be the Coke girl but I turned it down."––Agent and Goldie cries. "Stop crying and listen kid. I'm grooming you for greatness. Do you want to just have money now or be a name that people will leave their homes at nights to go see you at the theatre?"––Goldie Hawn reflecting on her "Laugh-In" days, (w,stte), some interview)
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Tarrantino is a hack of a director. I have never understood why people like him so much. All he is about is gore and quirks that's all.

I then remember my friends that like him and it makes sense. They like shows like South Park,  and other ignorant brainless shows.
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#8]
http://crybabymike.ytmnd.com/

This sums it up pretty well.
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#9]
This carried me through.

Link Posted: 6/24/2010 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#10]

But that's only half of the movie........by the by, for me in that part, it would have been Rose.

But it's like being carried through with Elizabeth

and that's not even half of the movie at all. If that's what the motivation was, after she's gone..............why bother?
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#11]
The pro RTKBA thing I enjoyed.

"Mother fucker trying to rape me and you want to give him a fucking rash?" or however it went.
Link Posted: 6/25/2010 5:13:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I admit that I am a pretty big Tarantino Fan.

That being said, I can only watch the first half of Deathproof and actually enjoy it.  I absolutely HATE the last 20 minutes of Deathproof.

Stuntman Mike, arguably one of the coolest Tarantino villains since Mr. Blonde, goes out like a total punk and it makes me want to vomit.  I was really hoping that Tarantino had gotten over his "Chicks getting their Revenge" motif with the Kill Bill movies, I didn't need to see it again in Deathproof.  1st half has everything I love: Austin, Texas, Jordan Ladd, Guerro's, cool music, bad ass car, Kurt Russell, and some not too bad Tarantino dialogue.  But once they fade to black in the hospital, I hit the stop button.  

50% of Deathproof is awesome, the other half SUcks teh Ballz.
Link Posted: 6/25/2010 5:19:54 AM EDT
[#13]

MMMMMM!
Severed ethnic girl leg,,,,
Link Posted: 6/25/2010 5:29:32 AM EDT
[#14]

I like most of Tarantino's stuff but deathproof was crap. Not even his most mediocre.
Link Posted: 6/25/2010 6:00:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I've been a big Tarentino fan for a long time, and I thought "Grindhouse" was really great in the theater.

However I've got to agree that "Deathproof" as it came out on DVD was crap.  It has to be what, 20 min longer than the theatrical cut?  WHY???  It's not like the movie was supposed to be the 'greatest story ever told' or anything, it's a simple story about revenge and should have been kept short and to the point.  If I want to hear women blather ON AND ON AND ON about nothing I'll go hang out with my wife and her girlfriends for a while.  

I'd love to find a theatrical release of "Grindhouse" as it was shown in the theater, but I don't think it's available anywhere and that's a shame.
Link Posted: 6/25/2010 7:41:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I then remember my friends that like him and it makes sense. They like shows like South Park,  and other ignorant brainless shows.

Link Posted: 6/25/2010 7:48:21 AM EDT
[#17]
South Park is fucking awesome.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top