Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/26/2010 2:35:25 PM EDT
The recent metal detector thread got me interested.

How many people own one?

What is a good brand / model?

Which features should I look for?

ETA: feel free to post what sort of cool stuff you have found.

Gene
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Fisher makes a decent and not too expensive detector

I have a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw ll with a 9" coil

You will want a 9-12" coil and a seperate wand is handy for finding stuff in the clumps.

The smaller the coil, the more concentrated the sweep path and the higher clarity you will get from the detector but a larger coil will project to a greater depth.
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 3:56:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Fisher makes a decent and not too expensive detector

I have a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw ll with a 9" coil

You will want a 9-12" coil and a seperate wand is handy for finding stuff in the clumps.

The smaller the coil, the more concentrated the sweep path and the higher clarity you will get from the detector but a larger coil will project to a greater depth.

Ok, makes sense.

Anyone else?
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a White's Spectrum XLT that I bought used off another ARFcom member.  White's make's great detectors.  Another detector that I have heard good things about is the Garrett Ace 250.  I had a chance to handle one and it is lightweight and performs pretty good from what I here.  There are a number of forum for detector enthusiasts that I would recommend you checking out to become familiar with what the old pros are saying.
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Since I was a kid, I always wanted to buy one and find lost treasure!!!!! This reignited my interest. Sorry I dont have personal experience though....
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Since I was a kid, I always wanted to buy one and find lost treasure!!!!! This reignited my interest. Sorry I dont have personal experience though....

I just won a Garrett GTI 2000 on Ebay I will let you know how it works. It looks like you can upgrade it to the 2500 model too
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had a couple of White's metal detectors, very nice machines..I now have a Minelab E-Trac,also a very nice machine..If you have the stick to it mentality, you will be rewarded with great finds. If you take a passive approach to this hobby I guarantee you will be disapointed with the  results.  Also, very few serious metal detectorists will discuss where and what they have found... Kinda like the ARFCOM boating accidents..If you get involved and get serious, be prepared to spend a few dollars in equipment. The only benefit to this spending is (unlike ammo spending) that you have a distinct possibility to recoup your expenses with good quality "finds". Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I have found just about everything you could imagine.

Minelab's suck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLyNltxFp9s
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#8]
the ceia and schiebel work pretty good in afghanistan.
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#9]
GREAT VIDEO!!!!! You are correct sir...MINELABS SUCK!!! (if you have to follow them)
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#10]
this is the video that got me interested

Link
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
this is the video that got me interested

Link

How much is all that worth?
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 6:25:13 PM EDT
[#12]
It is not the value of what is found, it is the hunt.

Finds like that are not uncommon.

You would be shocked at what you will find in your own front yard.
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I have several machines, some older some newer, I am trying to learn the minelab etrac right now. I am not getting rich at this but its a fun hobby and you never know what you may find. My favorite find so far is a 1795 Fred Duke of York halfpenny token. Its not worth a lot but its pretty neat to be holding a coin from 1795 in your hand.
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#14]
my neighbor has offered me a bounty hunter pioneer 505 for 125.00 used once. he bought it about 3 months ago.

are these any good, well for that price anyway?
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#15]
When I moved into this house, the widow who was living here left behind T O N S of stuff. Most of it the garage, tools and stuff, but we've also found some very old books / ledgers from the 1920's in the attic. I also found a bunch of hunting magazines & books her husband had in his office.

Mixed in with the magazines were some catalogs for ordering various types of books. (paladin press..)

One of the catalogs had several items circled (perhaps stuff he wanted to / or may have ordered). One of the books was a "how to bury guns & other stuff" book.

Now, this house sits on a 3/4 acre lot, with lots of open grass. I'm thinking there might be a chance something is buried here from her husband. I know it's a long shot, but you never know.

Link Posted: 5/26/2010 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Garrett Ace 250. I only hunt at parks. I usually pull a dollar or so per park. I do it to relax.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I always wanted one to take in the water, For snorkling and diving. Im always hearing about the gear and other goodies people are losing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Ive been wanting one for a while.

What kind of cash will I have to spend for a quality one?
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I just got a Garrett GTI 2000 with an extra coil for $253 + $20 in shipping. it is a little beat up but it says it works. I read online and you can upgrade to the current model 2500 for $250. The 2500 sells for ~ $800. I did wait for awhile to find a used one cheap on ebay though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 8:09:18 PM EDT
[#20]
My dad has a pretty nice garrett. Think it was close to $800 when he bought it. Course he wrote it off as a bizz expense to find lot stakes haha. Works pretty good

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#21]
1850 penny  at Murfreesborough Tenn Civil War battlefield IN 1972 .
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 4:13:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just got a Garrett GTI 2000 with an extra coil for $253 + $20 in shipping. it is a little beat up but it says it works. I read online and you can upgrade to the current model 2500 for $250. The 2500 sells for ~ $800. I did wait for awhile to find a used one cheap on ebay though.

How do you upgrade it? Do you send it in with some cash, or do uou buy bew parts and swap them
out?
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 4:21:24 AM EDT
[#23]
The Garrett ace 250 is hands down the best entry level (and beyond) detector on the market.  I started with one and eventually bought a Garrett GTI 2500, which is their top of the line model.  I still like using the ace.  

I've found tons of stuff, one of the coolest is a stirrup from a McClellan saddle.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you upgrade it? Do you send it in with some cash, or do you buy a few parts and swap them
out?

I have yet to contact Garrett about it but it looks like it is an electronics upgrade and a new coil. I have not received the detector so I was going to wait until I have it in hand and play with it a bit before I upgrade.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#25]
I just bought a garret ace 250.

I can't friggen wait for it to get here!  
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#26]
congratulations! I cant wait either. looks like I will have to wait until after the holiday weekend though. I was hoping to be able to get out this weekend
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Your package is in the UPS system and has a rescheduled delivery date of 06/04/2010.

GRRRRRRRRRr I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas

On a side note I should be picking up a REALLY old Whites coin master from the early 80's to play with tonight.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 8:13:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a Garrett Ace 250 that has the 5" sniper coil, the standard 8"coil, and the Large eliptical coil. They all have covers. Anyone want it?

I will give a good deal to someone here to get them started.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#29]
A golf course near my office just closed.  Would there be a chance of finding good stuff on the greens?
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Like mojo7, I have a Whites Spectrum XLT that Mrs. Tanker bought for me
a few yearrs back.

I haven't had a lot of oppurtunity to use it lately, but have been given
permission to hunt a piece of private property, a farm, that dates back to
the late 1700s with one of the oldest houses in the area still standing.
The farm was also used as a hospital on Lee's retreat from Antietam.

So far, I've just found a decent pile of recent change, lots of bottle caps,
and a ring at my church that I was able to return to it's owner.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Tag.  I have been wanting one.  I live in a area with a beach and not to far from some Civil War and Spanish American war sights.  Anyone have a suggestion for a metal detector for both types of hunting.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I have an old Whites (not sure of the model) and a ACE 250.

The 250 is a kick ass unit for the money...I paid twice as much for the Whites 20 years ago and it's not even close to the machine the Ace is.

I really haven't found anything that great...some jewelry and newer coins but I don't go that often.

If anyone needs a lower priced unit pick up a Garrett Ace 250 for a couple hundred. As you can tell I recommend it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A golf course near my office just closed.  Would there be a chance of finding good stuff on the greens?

Probably not on the greens (have you ever been on a green at a golf course?  It's almost like walking on a finely carpeted floor.  Anything dropped would have easily been seen and picked up.)

maybe the tee areas.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Well i got my first tip I guy lost his class ring years ago and knows the approximate location. I hope no one else has been there with a metal detector. This is going to be a long wait for the UPS guy to show up.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a Garret 1350 and all I found with it so far is about 75 bucks in change . My first MD was a Radio Shake special and I found a cannon ball and some grape-shot on my Grand-Parents property in Sweet Home,TX . I took my 1350 all over that place and I could not find any more cool shit but old horse -shoes and old farm equipment My wife bitched about me buying it till her sister lost her wedding ring at a family event . I had to go drive 50 miles to get my 1350 from home to find her ring and I found it less than 2 min why'll every body has been looking for it for 3 hrs . Now I rub it in my wife's face every time
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Was talking to my mother-in-law today and she informed me shes got a metal detector that cost $350 ten years ago. She wasnt sure what brand it is but she going to bring it over and said i can have it.

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Nice!

My 250 will be here Tuesday. I can't wait.

I already have a lead on a burried stash that a family has been unable to locate for over 30 years.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I lost my minelab sd2200d in a house fire. I found more ounces of gold than I care to say with that one.
I have a garret gold stinger, an explorer xs and a sovereign. excaliber
The garret was ok 20  years ago when i bought it. I mainly just use it to look for lost equipment parts anymore.
I then moved up to an xt1700 minelab, it was ok but not in the same league as my next machine.
The sd was incredible in mineralized ground for gold, but the discrimination was sorely lacking, but that is probabaly why you found gold twice as deep as a high frequency machine. The sd is pulse induction. I am hoping to be able to afford a gpx4500 this summer.
The explorer xs  is a bear to learn, but an incredible machine. You can "edit" out bad targets if your area is littered with a lot of the same junk. Once you figured out the tones, it is easy to dismiss junk. Found lots of coins, some toy cars from the late 30's and 40's that are worth a few bucks. I saw one identical car go for $50 on ebay.
The soveriegn excaliber is basically an underwater version of the explorersovereign. I used it for about 4 hours in Florida, but I found a bunch of coins that were so badly corroded, that I can only conclude there has to be some jewelry there somewhere that the other detectorists weren't getting because they missed the coins.

I have tried other brands, but am a die-hard minelab fan.

Good luck, and have fun.

ETA- I bought an excaliber this winter, not a soveriegn. Doh.

Edit 2-good grief, I must have been drunk.

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Nice!

I already have a lead on a burried stash that a family has been unable to locate for over 30 years.

That's sounds cool. I have heard of a coffe can of silver buried somewhere, but never had the time in the summer to go look for it.

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Nice!

does it feel like time is going so slow waiting for the dam UPS truck to show up? They delayed mine and I felt like if I was a kid and some one told me I would have to wait 2 more days until I could open my Christmas presents.

I now have 2 solid leads and one that might be underwater I think I will soon have dreams of treasure hunting This could become a bad obsession quickly.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#41]
natulis dmc 2 and a dmc 2ba i have walked behind garrets fishers and found stuff. they go very deep and best machines i ever used. the minelabs are good but they dont pinpoint as good in my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#42]
this past years finds

civil war bullets button. a great seal coat button and reed shell fragments.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a cheapie I bought at Radio Shack a few years ago. I can't remember what brand it is, but it wasn't the Radio Shack house brand (Micronta, Archer, Tandy, etc.)

I took it out in my backyard for a couple hours one afternoon and found about a dollar's worth of assorted change (no silver), and a piece of 10 gauge solid copper wire that probably was a scrap left over from when they installed the telephone pole back there.

I think the best place to try it would be a frequently used public football field or anywhere else people are doing lots of physical activity and are preoccupied enough not to notice jewelry falling off. Sand volleyball courts would be good too I imagine.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#44]
My company makes metal detectors for the food industry. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff that we have found that could have ended up on your dinner plate.

Mike F

http://www.loma.com
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 7:22:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My company makes metal detectors for the food industry. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff that we have found that could have ended up on your dinner plate.

Mike F

is that why some earplugs have a metal bb encased in the foam? Are your machines able to pick up that small of a piece of metal?
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Yes and yes. The sensitivity of a metal detector depends on the type of metal you are looking for, the product that it is in, the packaging, the shape and orientation of the contaminant, and most importantly, the aperture size (the hole that the conveyor runs through carrying the food). Our detectors can routinely detect metal contaminants that are 0.5mm in diameter.

Mike F

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike F

is that why some earplugs have a metal bb encased in the foam? Are your machines able to pick up that small of a piece of metal?

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#47]
I always thought it would be cool to have one but I'm not sure where I would start hunting. I would probably find quite a bit in the couch.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#48]
I've always wanted to get one but every time I save up the money I end up buying a gun instead. I guess I need to learn a little self control.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#49]

I have a White's Classic III 10" coil, my wife gave it to me for Christmas around 1998. I've found nothing of real value, I even searched the Treasure Coast area beaches of Florida within days after a hurricane had passed, nothing! An old Civil War era antibellum house in Nashville was being moved, I searched the grounds, nothing! Ok, I did find a penny and a pencil.

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

does it feel like time is going so slow waiting for the dam UPS truck to show up? They delayed mine and I felt like if I was a kid and some one told me I would have to wait 2 more days until I could open my Christmas presents.

I now have 2 solid leads and one that might be underwater I think I will soon have dreams of treasure hunting This could become a bad obsession quickly.

I've been doing a lot of reading on metal detector forums, trying to find more potential areas near my local.

Useing old soil maps (available online), a google maps, I just found the location of a school from the 1800's, which is now an old farm house with a large open field next to it. Sometime next week I'll go by and ask for permission to look around their field.  

Fun stuff!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top