Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 5/3/2010 7:05:20 PM EDT
I'm sure there is a reason for it, and its obvious that it works for him....but why would you hold your rifle like this? What is his explanation as to why this is better than a 'standard' hold?

Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know. I think it's silly, but I also preach "do what works best for you".
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#2]
the reason is supposed to be faster lateral movement

I tried it its OK but not earth shattering  I too subscribe to use what works for you

however this is the new approved arfcom method and be prepared for ridicule if you post pics and are not using it

Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#3]
soetimes I think people do things so that other people will remember them for what the did that looked funny.....but it works for some so I say go for it.....
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't know. I think it's silly, but I also preach "do what works best for you".

Same here.

I am just honestly curious as to what the thought process to this is. Looking at it makes me think my arm would get tired fairly quickly and provide a shaky hold.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#5]
If I remember correctly he feels it allows him better control of the rifle when he's maneuvering around corners.  I've seen a few people us that or similar grips, only a few though.

Meh, to each his own.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#6]
The axis of recoil.

ETA: Never mind. I thought you were referring to the hunched over stance, not his hand forward grip.

I run my rifle in a very similar grip. It just feels right for me.

Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#7]
So they can sell these .
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here.

I am just honestly curious as to what the thought process to this is. Looking at it makes me think my arm would get tired fairly quickly and provide a shaky hold.
that was my problem with it its all muscle support and no bone support

but Im sure someone will be along to tell me Im just weak and need to work out more

Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

but Im sure someone will be along to tell me Im just weak and need to work out more

You're just weak and you need to work out more.

Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Sometimes I wonder if its a marketing ploy so people will remember him and set him apart from the hundreds of other "trainers" out there.

Sometimes I wonder if Im just really cynical.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

eta: Too slow on my part making fun of the girly man.
Thats only true if your weak or dont workout.

Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here.

You're just weak and you need to work out more.
thank you

hopefully Ill get strong enough to bust handcuffs

Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
soetimes I think people do things so that other people will remember them for what the did that looked funny.....but it works for some so I say go for it.....

Or just as a joke to see how many people copy the style...
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So they can sell these .

Ding ding diing

Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I subscribe to the forward hand position he is using, but don't really understand the chicken wing. My arm would fatigue quickly.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL like Kung Pow enter the fist

Wimp Lo
:
Ha! Face to foot style, how do you like it?

Chosen One:
I'm sure on some planet your style is impressive, but your weak link is:
this is Earth.

Wimp Lo:
Oh yeah? Then try my nuts to your fist style!

Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#17]
High-bore grip to mitigate recoil?  I remember seeing the Australian SASR guy on Tactical Impact does the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I keep both elbows on my chest for bone support during room clearing...

I cna see in a shoot game how that might help with lateral speed (does not help me)

but in real life I would think that in the long run it is like chicken winging a rifle like a shot gun especially a light recoiling rifle like an AR...it will get your elbow shot off....YMMV
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#19]
To me, a hold like that is like cubism. Somebody with a big name does something different, some people like the way it looks, so they buy it. I can't get comfortable like that, and lose more vertical stability. I can't move laterally any faster either. Some people can, and if they like it, and if it works for them, that's what they should do.What they shouldn't do, and I see it a lot, is that they copy something that may not work for them just because someone famous does it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Show on the outdoor channel, he explained why. i think shooting gallery
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#21]
In

before the Magpul and Costa nazis.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Much like knowing the correct way to throw an axe –––––––––––––––––––––––––––– If you have to ask you will never truly become a real operator...

Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I run my AR like this. It seems to reduce recoil and allow for faster follow up shots. Think of it like an isosceles pistol grip and how if it is done properly greatly reduces recoil. Doesn't seem to work that well unless the stock is collapsed almost all the way in (depending on your height).

ETA: Swear I saw someone running a gun like this over ten years ago. I first started using a similar style grip when I first had my FAL (2002 or 2003). I am a small dude and having my hand all the way out on the hand guard allowed me to drive the gun better and deal with a not very well balanced and front heavy gun.

ETA2: I could have sworn an instructor told me that MIL guys ran it this way because of all the heavy crap on the end of their guns (lights, lasers etc).

Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:18:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Wow this again?

It's the same reason guys like this use that hold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNpZAbpgdYQ
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#25]
The real question is, did Bennie Cooley do it first?

Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#26]
That looks like a 5.56, so how much recoil is there really to mitigate, that can't be controlled with a normal, proper hold and technique?
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So they can sell these .

Ding ding diing

He isn't using one in that photo.

Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#28]
He is leaving room for his beard to grow.  The beard must not be impeded.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Because he gets paid to.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

http://www.uspsa.org/press/Bennie_Cooley_Rifle_3Gun_2002.jpg

Skeet shooters did it first

no clue who drug it over to rifle first

Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#31]
tag
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I have seen pics of SADF and Rhodesian Troopers using the same grip.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Because he gets paid to.

He gets paid to what?

Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Right, it's kind of like isosceles thumbs forward for a pistol.  You just point your thumb/s at the target.  I saw a video where a Marine Corps instructor was going over grip.  He used the above: pointer finger forward, hand far toward muzzle.  Said something to the effect that up close you don't really need sights, just point and shoot.  
Also controls rifle better than a vertical grip (in recoil and other movement).
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

NO COSTA dreamed this up to sell the AFG.  It did not exist until the marketing wizards at magpul came up with it.  Retards.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Jury's out for me.  I moved my VFGs forward to try it, and figure I can always grab the mag well if I want to hold in close, but I don't see "driving the muzzle" with the extended nondominant grip as improving my speed or maneuverability.  Theoretically I can see how you'd control the momentum a little better and be able to stop on a dime in a fast swing (shorter moment arm), but practically I'm not sold.  Maybe I need to train more - well, you always need to train more - but, yeah.  

I'm curious what the impact of it is at unknown distance to include hand-to-hand, eg room clearing scenario, are you more exposed to with a whole side of your body open if somebody jumps at you unexpectedly versus if you had your upper arm covering your ribs and possibly kidneys if you're carrying low-ready?
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Gimpy arm?
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have seen pics of SADF and Rhodesian Troopers using the same grip.

Obviously your'e wrong, this is simply Magpul Marketing Technique.  To sell Uber Expensive gear to their FanBois
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Costa's grip isn't the issue. I think where people have questions is the exagerated bend in his left arm that is flared out to his left. It may just be the photo that makes it appear so pronounced. The photo of Cooley and the video of the Noveske team both involve the shooters arms being significantly straighter than Costa's, namely because they are utilizing rifles with longer barrels. Costa could just as easily have tucked his elbow in tight, and maybe he is and the photo makes it appear differently.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I 'discovered' that my trap scores went up when I held the end of the fore-end, and it took me an embarrasingly long time to try it with the AR.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#41]
I shoot this way too.  Personally I can shoot much faster and keep my shots on target.  It comes from the competition world and really helps with mitigating recoil.  Lastly its not a chicken wing.  If you look straight on the elbow doesn't stick out past your shoulder if your doing it right.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Because he gets paid to.

He gets paid to what?

To shoot that way...
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:37:15 PM EDT
[#43]

why does this question have to be asked once a week?

ETA:  i don't know whats worse the fan boys or the haters  

Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't know. Maybe because it works for him? Just a guess.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Because he gets paid to.

He gets paid to what?

To shoot that way...

Are you really that stupid?
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

why does this question have to be asked once a week?

ETA:  i don't know whats worse the fan boys or the haters  

I am beginning to think the Costa/Magpul haters are worse than any of the fan boys on this site.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Does anyone know where I can get one of those flash hiders
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Wasn't this guy in the Coast Guard? He never really did any real combat did he? Have no clue honestly. I don't understand the obsession.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
So they can sell these .

Ding ding diing

He isn't using one in that photo.

And? Photo from before product release. Product to justify stance.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Does anyone know where I can get one of those flash hiders

They cost more than a Glock.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top