Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/25/2010 7:56:04 PM EDT
Lets say their is a big national emergency, city gets nuked or something requiring Martial Law being declared.

Would public schools be able to or would they detain children in their public school?

I ask this as with children in tow, government has more power over its people in a crisis situation.

Anyone know what happened when communists took over in times past?
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Lets say their is a big national emergency, city gets nuked or something requiring Martial Law being declared.

Would public schools be able to or would they detain children in their public school?

I ask this as with children in tow, government has more power over its people in a crisis situation.

Be able to?  Who is going to stop me?
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#2]
You can bet the schools will go into  "lock down"
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

this.  my ex-girlfriend is in school administration and in the event of the type of emergency you're describing you won't be able to get your kids.  they'll be locked down or taken to a pre-planned separate location.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#5]
My kids will use their E&E kits to escape the school lockdown and get back to our designated rendezvous point.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.  my ex-girlfriend is in school administration and in the event of the type of emergency you're describing you won't be able to get your kids.  they'll be locked down or taken to a pre-planned separate location.

I guess lucky for me I work half a mile from my kids school, I dont think they would have anyone there fast enough to stop me. Although not sure how i would feel about having to shoot the locked doors open probbaly asking to get ventilated when the cops do show up.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Home school

Link Posted: 3/25/2010 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#8]
By God I will get mine.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#9]
The kids will be able to walk out of the buildings after all the tree hugging commie teachers freeze up when faced with some sort of violent climactic event.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does each school have a SWAT team assigned to it, or are we just talking an SRO with soft body armor and a pistol?

Link Posted: 3/25/2010 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Death would be the only thing that would stop me, and my group of other parents I would quickly assemble (and arm, if need be... but I live in a farm community, so probably not.)
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The kids will be able to walk out of the buildings after all the tree hugging commie teachers freeze up when faced with some sort of violent climactic event.

there are few entrances to the school. lockdown typically means the teachers lock their classroom doors and the principles lock the entrances and exists.

High school kids may try to walk out but middle school and grade school kids will be at the mercy of their commie teachers/administrators.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Watch "Schindler's List". The kids are taken to a separate camp.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Here is a link to free FEMA course that may answer your questions. Ive taken nearly 20 of these course for professional development and they are solid. Free, count for college credit, and only a take an hour or so. Plus you get a certificate!

IS-100.SCa Introduction to the Incident Command System for Schools

These courses are hard to beat for a citizen wanting to learn about emergency response doctrine.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have kids but this is what I thought too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll be getting mine.

I would like to see someone even slow me down.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Just try and stop me!
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Ask to see your child's school's Emergency Plan.

My senior year in high school was 1996/97.  I had a chance to review my schools emergency plan with our vice principal.  They had a section for Nuclear Attack/National Military Emergency.  One of the guidelines said they would go into lockdown and keep all of us there until the situation was deemed safe and would not allow parents to remove their children from the school.  They would however let parents come into the school and be with their kid until "administration" deemed it safe to release everyone.  

F&ck that, I said.

Even today, with my career in public safety I have found that when a school goes on lockdown, for whatever reason (weather, critical incident or police response in area) the school's policy is to not release children to parents until the lockdown is cleared.  

Link Posted: 3/25/2010 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#20]
well if it was time to flee anyone attempting to keep my kid from me would receive more than a healthy dose of 7.62 lead.

That's really all I have to say about that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

there are few entrances to the school. lockdown typically means the teachers lock their classroom doors and the principles lock the entrances and exists.

High school kids may try to walk out but middle school and grade school kids will be at the mercy of their commie teachers/administrators.
which is why it is essential to know which window outside the school goes into the classroom your kid is in at any given time.

Id bust in and be like "Im taking my kid outa here and if you try and stop me this barrel will get hot fast"   I doubt any teacher would stop me.

Link Posted: 3/25/2010 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Then I guess more critical incidents will be reported at schools as parents come to retrieve their kids.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Home School.  My kids will learn critical thinking, and not multiple guessing, plus I know where they are and what Skeleton's are in their teachers closet.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Be able to? Who is going to stop me?

Yup... correct answer.

Link Posted: 3/25/2010 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't have any kids, but I'll help any arfcommer who needs help getting his/her children from .gov control.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 11:15:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this. noone will tell me i can't get my kids.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 11:17:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Home School.  My kids will learn critical thinking, and not multiple guessing, plus I know where they are and what Skeleton's are in their teachers closet.

Will your kids learn the proper use of 's (apostrophe + s) with regards to plural and not possessive?
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 11:22:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I was part of a small scale FEMA exercise here in WI a few years ago.  

This was in a small town - around 15,000 people, in a very rural and conservative area.  We were simulating a hazmat terrorist incident.

The very first DAY of the planning workshop, this small town police chief, the fire chief, and the Superintendent of schools, all had the same outline.

1.  Lock down the school.
2.  Set up police roadblocks to keep parents away.
3.  If and when possible, evacuate kids to safe location or to hospital for decon if necessary.

The best part was, they planned to use their school buses for this.  I had a central role in the planning, and the school buses were so conveniently corralled in one lot right near a big fat target, that I couldn't resist setting up my terrorist incident in a way that took them out.

This created a huge problem - lack of transport.  There was no longer any way of transporting the kids.

In a room of 20 various government officials, in a rural small town, I was the ONLY person who did NOT literally ROLL THEIR EYES at the mention of somehow having the parents/citizens be part of the solution.  This was a big problem, and only the government is smart enough to solve it.  They were still married to the concept of using the police and State Patrol to keep the parents at bay, while looking for other government ways to transport the kids out of the target zone.

I asked them "so, you have a burning toxic mess less than 200 yards from the school, the wind is blowing away but could change at any time.  Rather than having your officers enlist the help of the parents, organizing them, and getting the kids the hell out of there, your solution is to lock down the school, and let them die in place while we wait for buses from 45 miles away?"

The answer was "of course, it's the only thing we can do.  Letting the parents in would just be a complete breakdown of order and a disaster.  Plus we wouldn't be able to account for all the kids".

THIS IS NO EXAGGERATION people, this is exactly how the conversation went down.  And if it's like this in a small, backwater, rural conservative town, imagine how it's going to get in the urban areas.  Oh wait, I don't have to - Iowa floods of 2009.  Anybody remember a red Chevy pickup, dry streets, and a State Trooper roadblock?
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 11:25:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
In a room of 20 various government officials, in a rural small town, I was the ONLY person who did NOT literally ROLL THEIR EYES at the mention of somehow having the parents/citizens be part of the solution.  This was a big problem, and only the government is smart enough to solve it.  They were still married to the concept of using the police and State Patrol to keep the parents at bay, while looking for other government ways to transport the kids out of the target zone.

Wow, that will get messy fast.

Link Posted: 3/25/2010 11:25:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

We ain't all tree-huggin' commies, sunshine.

Link Posted: 3/25/2010 11:29:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you must mean FEMA/wal mart camps.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 11:29:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

This was in a small town - around 15,000 people, in a very rural and conservative area.  We were simulating a hazmat terrorist incident.

The very first DAY of the planning workshop, this small town police chief, the fire chief, and the Superintendent of schools, all had the same outline.

3.  If and when possible, evacuate kids to safe location or to hospital for decon if necessary.

The best part was, they planned to use their school buses for this.  I had a central role in the planning, and the school buses were so conveniently corralled in one lot right near a big fat target, that I couldn't resist setting up my terrorist incident in a way that took them out.

This created a huge problem - lack of transport.  There was no longer any way of transporting the kids.

I asked them "so, you have a burning toxic mess less than 200 yards from the school, the wind is blowing away but could change at any time.  Rather than having your officers enlist the help of the parents, organizing them, and getting the kids the hell out of there, your solution is to lock down the school, and let them die in place while we wait for buses from 45 miles away?"

The answer was "of course, it's the only thing we can do.  Letting the parents in would just be a complete breakdown of order and a disaster.  Plus we wouldn't be able to account for all the kids".

THIS IS NO EXAGGERATION people, this is exactly how the conversation went down.  And if it's like this in a small, backwater, rural conservative town, imagine how it's going to get in the urban areas.  Oh wait, I don't have to - Iowa floods of 2009.  Anybody remember a red Chevy pickup, dry streets, and a State Trooper roadblock?

When I hit the classroom in a year-and-a-half, I won't be signing on with any plan to engage in kidnapping and transport of children if parents are available. Screw THAT. Those kids are not mine - they're their parents'.

Link Posted: 3/25/2010 11:30:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the FTX I posted about above, that location was the local hospital, were the FD would set up a decon station in the parking lot.

Anyone resisting the evacuation orders or trying to beat a roadblock and get into town would of course be arrested and jailed.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the FTX I posted about above, that location was the local hospital, were the FD would set up a decon station in the parking lot.

Anyone resisting the evacuation orders or trying to beat a roadblock and get into town would of course be arrested and jailed.

I understand what you are saying, but my tinfoil hat is on really, really tight tonight.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 11:34:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand what you are saying, but my tinfoil hat is on really, really tight tonight.

I could tell you stuff that would blow that tinfoil right off your head, but I value my career.  I need it for at least another ten years.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 11:35:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I don't have any kids, but I'll help any arfcommer who needs help getting his/her children from .gov control.

Cheers to this man... No child should be separated from their parents in a full blown national emergency.

EDIT: If I ever have a child and shit goes down, I will go to the school armed to rescue my child along with any other parent that wants their child to be back in their hands.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 11:36:53 PM EDT
[#37]
To answer the OPs question the answer is:

If you are not in a danger zone, yes, ONLY once it has been determined by the government that it's "appropriate".

If you are in a danger zone, only God knows.  Probably not.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 11:38:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

We ain't all tree-huggin' commies, sunshine.

Unfortunately, 97% is close enough to consider all.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 11:38:57 PM EDT
[#39]
about 260 schools in vegas,2500 metro officers,so 9 per school,now add in total chaos in the streets,looting,rioting.then try to stop a bunch of parents trying to pick up their kids,no way possible.too many doors,and windows.ever see an angry parent trying to protect their kids,trying to stop them,it would be suicide.my grankids school is less than 2 min from my house.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 11:39:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could tell you stuff that would blow that tinfoil right off your head, but I value my career.  I need it for at least another ten years.

hopefully, we have those ten years.

in the meantime, i will point my tinfoil attenae pointed up high.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 11:41:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Interesting topic.

Years ago I was asked by my kids elementary school to play a part in an emergency drill. I pulled "distraught parent" and considered the role. I also thought about how I would handle the situation if there WAS a disaster and how I would get my kids.

Day of the drill, the alarm went off. Kids were taken outside by teachers in orange vests and hard hats.... I ran through the field to MY kids, told them to come with me NOW, and we ran home. The proper process involved checking your child out, by going somewhere, waiting in line...I really didn't listen. I was the "distraught" parent.

What are they going to do in an emergency? Tackle a parent retrieving their kids through any means necessary? The rest of the school went about their little drill, my kids would have a huge jump in time, in the event of a real emergency.

I haven't been invited to attend a "emergency drill" since.

Link Posted: 3/25/2010 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Anyone know what happened when communists took over in times past?

So I guess to your question...

In a REAL emergency, the schools don't have much in the way of defense other then raised voices, and orange vests.

Link Posted: 3/25/2010 11:48:19 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Interesting topic.

Years ago I was asked by my kids elementary school to play a part in an emergency drill. I pulled "distraught parent" and considered the role. I also thought about how I would handle the situation if there WAS a disaster and how I would get my kids.

Day of the drill, the alarm went off. Kids were taken outside by teachers in orange vests and hard hats.... I ran through the field to MY kids, told them to come with me NOW, and we ran home. What are they going to do in an emergency? Tackle a parent retrieving their kids through any means necessary? The rest of the school went about their little drill, my kids would have a huge jump in time, in the event of a real emergency.

I haven't been invited to attend a "emergency drill" since.
it said "distraught parent" not "SMART distraught parent"

the idea that a school will keep parents from their kids is absolutely insane.  if it came down to it... gun point to get ones kids back is reasonable especially if theyre dumb enough to let kids die to wait for buses.

Link Posted: 3/25/2010 11:51:24 PM EDT
[#44]
If the shit goes down while my kids are in school and someone tries to stop me from getting them, they will have two options. 1 GET OUT OF MY WAY. 2. ASSUME ROOM TEMPERATURE.

My kids will be coming home with me!

Link Posted: 3/25/2010 11:53:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Holy Mother of God,

Same thing happened when folks showed up with boats to help rescue Katrina victims.  DNR turned away several thousand flats boats with experienced crews because they weren't in uniform.  Could've had everybody out that wanted out in a day.  

Our culture has ceased to think of the average joe as a partner, and now thinks of him as a dependent.  It's all "us versus them" in every department I've dealt with.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 12:01:59 AM EDT
[#46]
At around 11 am on 9/11 some retard decided to call in a bomb threat on my high school. Everyone was already panicking with what happened that morning. The administration at the school evacuated and locked down my high school, as well as the middle school and elementary school. There were barely any LEO's present. I think there might have been one black and white at each school.
I can tell you first hand everything was a mess. Fellow high school students were saying "fuck this I'm leaving" and taking off. Teachers couldn't and wouldn't do anything as they were shell shocked themselves. Parents were going to the elementary schools and middle schools and taking their kids home.
Schools are dreaming if they think they are going to hold kids against their will. Their foot soldiers in trying to make this plan work are teachers.

From what I saw the teachers weren't the most level headed people in a stressful situation. They were more worried about their own children and loved ones.

ETA: I can only wonder if in a real SHTF scenario would any of our critical infrastructures personnel stay in place. Wouldn't everyone be worried about their own skin or the skin of their loved ones.

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 12:02:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If the shit goes down while my kids are in school and someone tries to stop me from getting them, they will have two options. 1 GET OUT OF MY WAY. 2. ASSUME ROOM TEMPERATURE.

It's not like they're armed.

All they can do is yell at you that you aren't following procedure! Then yell as you leave that THIS WILL BE ON THEIR PERMANENT RECORD!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 12:06:33 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not like they're armed.

All they can do is yell at you that you aren't following procedure! Then yell as you leave that THIS WILL BE ON THEIR PERMANENT RECORD!!

Yeah im pretty sure thats all that would happen, but I had to atleast put #2 up just in case.

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 12:10:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Your kids will be piles of ash under a desk.

Sad to say.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 12:10:13 AM EDT
[#50]
It always seems that school officials or .gov types have these grandiose plans in place for whatever type of incident that may come along.  But in reality the overwhelming lack of city, county, state and federal resources would be so stretched thin that it would really be just a few school admins, teachers between the kids and their parents.  The idea of lock down only works if the world outside plays along with the rules, not when there is complete chaos.  if a nuke went off, chem attack or bio attack happened the people in charge aren’t going to stop you from getting your kids, they’re going to be worrying about their own.  These bean counter types always make the assumption there will be adequate resources to follow through with their plans, in the real world these thing general don’t work out as expected and generally get people killed, i.e. Katrina is a huge example, so if a plan like this was in place in NO, the kids would either 1.)Drown, 2.)Die from the building collapsing on them or 3.)Die from lack of response from previously mentioned .gov types.  Ultimately it is a exercise in making people feel that someone is in charge and has a "PLAN" other than that it is trying to plan for the unplanable
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top