Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/18/2017 6:03:37 PM EDT
We are getting out bathroom redone so it is upgraded before we move. The demo went well and the durarock went up and when the tiler said it should only be a day to re-tile the shower, I thought oh nice one day to set, one to grout, and we are good to go. Well I just went to check on him and he is putting 9x12 vertical which is fine it looks good but he started on the corner of the back wall and didn't center the 1st piece so there is going to be a full row from tub to ceiling of cuts in the corner. He is well up the wall so there is no going back now, I guess I will be finding a new contractor to re-do the shower again once he is done. He was going to re-do the floor but after I saw this I will look elsewhere. Am I wrong for thinking the 1st piece of tile needs to be centered or is that just me over thinking it and having a whole column of cuts is okay. we are doing this to sell the house, the bathroom was from the 70's when I bought it and I did the floor back in 2010, and I would have done the wall but I have never tiled a wall, so I hired this guy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a tile guy, and I don't know what the right way to do this is, however....a dipshit did the same thing to our shower and it looks like crap
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks he gutted it last night and after he was done he said I am doing it the tile guy he knew backed out. They were both going to do it and now we are stuck. We need out shower, it's our only one and I can't tell him to stop and leave.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#3]
thread is useless w/o pics
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks he gutted it last night and after he was done he said I am doing it the tile guy he knew backed out. They were both going to do it and now we are stuck. We need out shower, it's our only one and I can't tell him to stop and leave.
View Quote

I feel your pain brother
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Why no going back now. It's going to be easier now then later. Take that shit down and have him do it right.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#6]
You should theoretically start at the center so the cut piece is the same size on both edges.  

However, there are two little facts of life that challenge this idea.

1.  surfaces are out of square/out of plumb
2.  the distance from edge to edge is such that it would result in two tiny little pieces of tile at both edges.  In this case, you are better off with one larger piece at one edge.

Probably not applicable in this case, but you also can run into issues where there are multiple edges, for instance if you were tiling up and out of the shower area, or in the case of a floor, you have more than four walls.

Not a professional tiler, but I have done tile work in my home and I didn't burn my house down or take a 9mm aspirin in the process.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
thread is useless w/o pics
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You should theoretically start at the center so the cut piece is the same size on both edges.  

2.  the distance from edge to edge is such that it would result in two tiny little pieces of tile at both edges.  In this case, you are better off with one larger piece at one edge.

Probably not applicable in this case, but you also can run into issues where there are multiple edges, for instance if you were tiling up and out of the shower area, or in the case of a floor, you have more than four walls.

Not a professional tiler, but I have done tile work in my home and I didn't burn my house down or take a 9mm aspirin in the process.
View Quote
if its 9x12, what is the width and depth of the shower?  did he start with the back wall or side walls?
need more info before we can make a judgment...
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Fix it now, not later. Fuck all that off center asymmetrical non OCD compliant shit.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#10]
OP - Post some pics and questions here:
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I typically start on one side of the side wall, and when I cut to size for the corner, I use the remaining piece to start along the back wall.

I also install tile so the joints are offset, like brickwork. I think it looks better.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Contract?

Tell him it looks like shit.

pics?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
if its 9x12, what is the width and depth of the shower?  did he start with the back wall or side walls?
need more info before we can make a judgment...
View Quote

Yes he started with the back wall, not the sides and in the left corner. He is in there still going he is now starting on the side walls. I will take pics in a few. he did the 9x12 vertical and not horizontal which would have willed the space with the 4 tiles per row.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#14]
It would have looked better with the cuts being equal on the left and right.

He should have centered the middle tile floor to ceiling.

However, it will look fine when it is completed.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pics?
View Quote

right above  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes he started with the back wall, not the sides and in the left corner. He is in there still going he is now starting on the side walls. I will take pics in a few. he did the 9x12 vertical and not horizontal which would have willed the space with the 4 tiles per row.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/283746/IMG-20170218-163236-149221.JPG
View Quote

Have you actually talked to HIM about this?  I'd tell him to take it down and do it right the first time.  This isn't adhesive vinyl where it's no big deal.

That looks odd.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#17]
The ceiling tiles will also have to be off as well.

Or he can run them the opposite direction.

I think you have a rookie or somebody who is just ignorant doing the job.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/283746/IMG-20170218-163236-149221.JPG
View Quote

Just put one of thes in the corner

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I had visions of toilets falling through the floor, water spraying everywhere and perhaps a fire.

The only person that will probably ever notice this is you. If you are selling the house and the work was reasonably priced, I would just run it.

ETA: Find a contrasting tile in the right width to fill that space and use that. I have seen several bathrooms in high end homes that have that detail, I assume it is all the rage right now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I think once its all done, you won't even notice the difference and neither will the new buyer.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Where's the waterproofing membrane over the durock? Can you say leaks and mold?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Have you actually talked to HIM about this?  I'd tell him to take it down and do it right the first time.  This isn't adhesive vinyl where it's no big deal.

That looks odd.
View Quote

He said it would have been to many cuts. I told him to leave the bullnose off the side I am going to get it redone in a month or so.  And yes we are just doing this to sell the house and if I was buying a house and saw that I would say that is really funny looking and get the bathroom redone or ask for money off the house because it has to be done.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

What are you talking about?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#24]
If he started from the center you would end up with small cuts on both sides. Looks like he made the right decision.  Lack of schluter system on walls and floor is a bigger problem. 
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

2.  the distance from edge to edge is such that it would result in two tiny little pieces of tile at both edges.  In this case, you are better off with one larger piece at one edge.l

View Quote
Im a plumber not a tile guy but have done some in my home(s) and for friends. If you start in the center with a tile centered and end up with < half a tile on the edges, just move center tile over so it's edge is centered. That way you never have narrow tiles on the boarders and everything is symmetrical. Do same top to bottom, left/right.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#26]
That would bug the shit out of me every time I looked at it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I typically start on one side of the side wall, and when I cut to size for the corner, I use the remaining piece to start along the back wall.

I also install tile so the joints are offset, like brickwork. I think it looks better.
View Quote

Thats because it does, and thats how you are supposed to lay rectangular tile.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If he started from the center you would end up with small cuts on both sides. Looks like he made the right decision 
View Quote

Really?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:50:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Starting on the back wall is correct. That way the side wall tiles will cover the edge cuts of the back wall. Since you want it to look good while standing outside the shower (this is how buyers view it) this looks the best.

First lay out the tile. Yes, you start with a full tile in the center (or, a full tile on either side of the centerline.. depends how the cut tiles work out.. thus why you lay it out before you start). Then you cut all the tiles for the left side (assuming the wall is not more than 1/4" out) and account for any irregularity in the wall when you set the first tile.

Then you run all your tile up and cut the right side to fit.

Also, waterproof membrane is becoming prevalent over the backerboard. It is not required, but is regularly specified on better quality jobs. You will be fine without it, just thought I'd mention it since you do some tile yourself.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Is the diverter valve 6" off the floor? That's what it looks like in the pic.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#31]
If he uses the other half of the cut pieces on the right wall it will look better than if he starts again with a full piece (basically looks like one piece of tile wraps the corner)
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Is the diverter valve 6" off the floor? That's what it looks like in the pic.
View Quote

that is the tub, not the floor he put boards up so he knows where the lines are to start and be level.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Put swagged decorative curtains on each end of the tub. Corners are out of view. New owners figure it out later.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#34]
That looks fkn horrible Should be a running bond IMHO

ETA. I also agree they should have been turned 90 degrees. Just the picture of the tile set vertical like that gives me a vertigo feeling lol
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#35]
There is no way out of cutting the end tiles. If you center them you will have to make 2 cuts, one on either side. He didn't install anything incorrectly. It's is a matter of personal preference if the tile are centered or start in a corner.

You are the customer and should have specified you wanted it centered. He should have asked prior to quoting the job. Both of you were in the wrong. Don't be a dick, it is your OCD.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There is no way out of cutting the end tiles. If you center them you will have to make 2 cuts, one on either side. He didn't install anything incorrectly. It's is a matter of personal preference if the tile are centered or start in a corner.

You are the customer and should have specified you wanted it centered. He should have asked prior to quoting the job. Both of you were in the wrong. Don't be a dick, it is your OCD.
View Quote

Thanks that is what I was wondering. I will be getting it re-done before we sell again
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm not a tile guy either, but I can't help but look at that and think he should have thought his grid out better. That (what) 4-5 inches on the right should have been divided into two flanking end-points with the full tiles emanating from the very center out. 
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#38]
I always find the center of the wall and either center a tile on that or one on either side. One way will have bigger end tiles and look better. It will also waste more tile. I believe this is the proper way.
Does the installer have a wet saw?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

THIS!! Damn.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grout is porous. The water will find it's way behind the tile and make its way to the floor and surroundings. If you're selling the house it won't matter to you, but the next homeowners will have a nasty surprise some years down the road. If the grouting and caulking is done well it may be 10+ years to failure but seeing that is nails on a chalkboard to me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#41]
You either center a full tile or have a grout line up the center to eliminate small cuts.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#42]
No pro but I've laid a shit ton. If you work from center and end up with slivers on the ends of one wall and wider tiles starting on the adjoining wall it looks worse than having uneven tiles.

I'd lay it out and see which looks better before pulling it all for sure.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

tile starts in center and works out (if standard layout, which this is, no mosaic etc.) It's is more work to cut bot sides but if the sub knew what he was doing (and does but making a job fast and cheap) he'd have done it right. This is lazy as hell BS and I'd tell him you ain't getting shit until its right. The only reason the guy didn't center the first tile or find center and use 4 tiles on center line is, laziness.

Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#45]
The rule is no less than a half of a tile at the corners - you either center the first piece on the center line of the wall or you center a grout joint on the C/L.

I would have waterproofed the cement board before putting up the tile - he is using motor and not mastic - right?

Red

How do I know all this - Sold commercial flooring for some 25+ years
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Yeah.  The first tile could have been centered, and at least 3/4 of a tile would have fit in either corner.  That is kind of an amateur mistake.  Shame, looks like nice tile.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

He said it would have been to many cuts. I told him to leave the bullnose off the side I am going to get it redone in a month or so.  And yes we are just doing this to sell the house and if I was buying a house and saw that I would say that is really funny looking and get the bathroom redone or ask for money off the house because it has to be done.
View Quote

I don't often say this, but are you a moron?

Rather than act like an adult you are just going to have it redone? I'll pm you my address so you can send me a few grand, since you like to give away money and all.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Lazy tile layer is lazy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#49]
I've probably built 50-60 showers, I've centered them , not centered them , layed in brick patterns, corner to corner etc...., if everything is straight and neat it's not a problem either way, but I usually draw everything out and ask the customer if it looks like they want it too.

Believe it or not if I cut 2 small tiles down each side like you want it someone would bitch. ......I always ask because "people are funny that way"
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You're a F'ing idiot, tile starts in center and works out (if standard layout, which this is, no mosaic etc.) It's is more work to cut bot sides but if the sub knew what he was doing (and does but making a job fast and cheap) he'd have done it right. This is lazy as hell BS and I'd tell him you ain't getting shit until its right. The only reason the guy didn't center the first tile or find center and use 4 tiles on center line is, laziness.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a F'ing idiot, tile starts in center and works out (if standard layout, which this is, no mosaic etc.) It's is more work to cut bot sides but if the sub knew what he was doing (and does but making a job fast and cheap) he'd have done it right. This is lazy as hell BS and I'd tell him you ain't getting shit until its right. The only reason the guy didn't center the first tile or find center and use 4 tiles on center line is, laziness.

A lot of people elect to have it done this way because it you can't use the other sides of the cut pieces it costs more in tile.  Basically a cheaper solution if you don't mind the way it looks.

I could never have gotten away with it even if I wanted to because the "boss" is a designer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top