Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 9/22/2016 4:37:46 PM EDT
Just announced at a press conference. Tulsa County DA announces charges of manslaughter 1 and issues warrant for her arrest.

ETA: link to story

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/courts/officer-betty-shelby-charged-with-first-degree-manslaughter-in-fatal/article_e5cc9bee-6300-5f1f-bc0b-e45dd7fd356f.html
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Of course
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#2]
that was fast.

if one of their officers shot me under similar circumstances, I'd expect weeks to go by before anything happened.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Why would anyone want that job anymore, just isn't worth it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
What he said!
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Saw that, I guess no grand jury? Gotta head off any protests by rushing a charge.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Of course
View Quote

What do you mean "of course"?

Since 2007 only 2 officers in Oklahoma have been charged in the 162 police involved shooting deaths. It doesn't seem like a foregone conclusion that a police officer will face charges in the death of someone that they have shot.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/crimewatch/since-two-officers-have-been-prosecuted-in-fatal-oklahoma-police/article_e507b8b2-88c3-5708-bb47-279bbd895a5f.html
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Shoulda used her drop gun like the STL cop. She could have stayed free for another couple years at least.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Since 2007 only 2 officers in Oklahoma have been charged in the 162 police involved shooting deaths. It doesn't seem like a foregone conclusion that a police officer will face charges in the death of someone that they have shot.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/crimewatch/since-two-officers-have-been-prosecuted-in-fatal-oklahoma-police/article_e507b8b2-88c3-5708-bb47-279bbd895a5f.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of course

You are genuinely retarded if you did not understand his meaning.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Sympathetic gun fire due to the taser
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What he said!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What he said!

I can't say that I haven't asked myself the same question.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Waiting for Extorris to chime in, this is one good reason for a union.  I can sympathize for a job that puts your life at risk and then in hindsight everybody wants to fuck you in the ass for it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Waiting for Extorris to chime in, this is one good reason for a union.  I can sympathize for a job that puts your life at risk and then in hindsight everybody wants to fuck you in the ass for it.
View Quote

Tulsa PD has a union.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#14]
A long, long way from the 1921 Tulsa riots, no?
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Waiting for Extorris to chime in, this is one good reason for a union.
View Quote

Our union couldn't do shit if the DA wanted to charge us.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

She choked?
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#17]
3 busloads of protestors inbound from Ferguson, according to OHP.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

She choked?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She choked?

Im theorizing she probably had her finger on the trigger. The taser went pop and she flinched and fired.

Shes the only one who shot, and from my understanding only fired one round. In the extended aerial footage you can see her freaking out behind a cruiser. I mean I understand she just shot someone, but this adds to my theory

Its only a theory however
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#19]
So sick of this bullshit.  

Non compliant, resisting arrest, may have or may not have reached.  No fucks given.  

When you resist arrest, bad shit will happen!  

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Shelby, who joined the Tulsa Police Department in December 2011, was en route to a domestic violence call when she encountered Crutcher's vehicle abandoned on a city street, straddling the center line. Shelby did not activate her patrol car's dashboard camera, so no footage exists of what first happened between the two before other officers arrived.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Morons forget that one of the reasons we have police it to protect criminals from the much rougher justice they would recieve at the hands of pissed off victims.
Google South American street justice and you will see robbers doused in gas and set on fire, a bit worse than getting pepper sprayed.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Glad I'm not a cop anymore. 4 years now in the transportation industry. They can keep that shit just fine.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#23]
If she only had Capt. Kirk's phaser (and the suspect didn't smash his head on the way down).
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I hope for y'alls sake that turns out to be BS...

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#25]
So what happens when he comes back as having PCP in his system?
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it doesn't happen to the vast majority of police officers....
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Something something, finger off the trigger, something. Also, when you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

That's pure speculation on my part though. I'm not sure charges are warranted, it's not like the guy was acting cooperative. He has to have at least some responsibility for what happened.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fuck
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#30]
I really get the sense that there's been a change in the way the process works and we should probably get used to it. If there is a shooting and the mob demands accountability (regardless of facts) then DAs will press charges every single time to put the burden on the Grand Jury as opposed to themselves. This also gives the mob the "look, they're doing something!" in the here and now moment. By the time the GJ says no bill then the mobs' heads have cooled and no one goes and burns down the neighborhood.

So far I think we've been lucky in that there seems to have been a good amount of common sense coming out of the courts in these matters. If the manslaughter charges ever start sticking (in these questionable cases) then I think you're going to see a big change in the way LE operates
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

What happened there last night?

Id be a little more concerned with what would happen if he didnt.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#32]
It's no longer worth it to be a cop.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

Nothing. Being high on a drug isn't a valid reason to shoot someone.  She was either justified or not by his actions at the time she shot him.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Did her a favor because she now can't be interviewed.
View Quote

No offense, Mike, but I don't know much about this sort of thing and nobody else has addressed it. For all I know you're entirely right.

Is there anyone else on this board with experience with this sort of thing that can confirm or deny this assertion? Anything for those like me to search for so we can get an explanation backed by facts?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Charges????  For shooting this nice man......

http://conservativetribune.com/truth-crutcher-bad-for-media/
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No offense, Mike, but I don't know much about this sort of thing and nobody else has addressed it. For all I know you're entirely right.

Is there anyone else on this board with experience with this sort of thing that can confirm or deny this assertion? Anything for those like me to search for so we can get an explanation backed by facts?

Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did her a favor because she now can't be interviewed.

Thanks.

If she's an idiot and has waived her rights anyone from DA's office can question her.  At least in Texas she has to cooperate with IA investigation and is allowed to have Union Rep/Attorney present.

ETA: For IA investigations officers are or should be given their Garrity Warning
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Just heard that protests are happening at 71st and 169. For our Tulsa members you might want to avoid that area.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#38]
I would not be surprised if this is just racial politics.   She may get screwed like Darren Wilson was.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I really get the sense that there's been a change in the way the process works and we should probably get used to it. If there is a shooting and the mob demands accountability (regardless of facts) then DAs will press charges every single time, unless the shootee is white then no one gives a fuck,  to put the burden on the Grand Jury as opposed to themselves. This also gives the mob the "look, they're doing something!" in the here and now moment. By the time the GJ says no bill then the mobs' heads have cooled and no one goes and burns down the neighborhood.

So far I think we've been lucky in that there seems to have been a good amount of common sense coming out of the courts in these matters. If the manslaughter charges ever start sticking (in these questionable cases) then I think you're going to see a big change in the way LE operates
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I would not be surprised if this is just racial politics.   She may get screwed like Darren Wilson was.

View Quote

Maybe.

Or maybe the DA talked to the other officers that were there and looked at the body cams (were there body cams??) and decided to move forward with charges.

We'll find out someday.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's no longer worth it to be a cop.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Now if a Bull was involved they would take Months. No Bulls in Tulsa?
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're just as likely to face it as a cop if you plug America's next upcoming cancer researcher.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Now if a Bull was involved they would take Months. No Bulls in Tulsa?
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just heard that protests are happening at 71st and 169. For our Tulsa members you might want to avoid that area.
View Quote

This not the hood, this is south Tulsa in the middle of the a huge shopping area and nice large homes. Glad I moved a few to bfe a few years ago.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not relevant.  The issue will be:

-whether the officer's fear of imminent death was reasonable?

Given the closed car door/window, I'd say the DA decided it wasn't reasonable.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#47]
In on one
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#49]
So what's the penalty for 1st manslaughter in
OK?
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This not the hood, this is south Tulsa in the middle of the a huge shopping area and nice large homes. Glad I moved a few to bfe a few years ago.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I know. I drive by there every day.  It's also a major traffic area. BLM loves to fuck up rush hour.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top