Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/23/2015 5:20:06 PM EDT
So it looks like the Mrs. and I are going to be around Washington DC the first week of February.  Our first time.  Staying in Falls Church, Virginia.  Asking for help with the itinerary.

What I have so far:

1. Visit the W.H. and give FBHO the finger

2. Air & Space Museum (probably a couple of days, to be honest)

3. Arlington National Cemetery, Tomb of the Unknown, Memorials, etc.

4. National Zoo... maybe

5. Get mugged our white privilege checked by urban utes

For those of y'all who are familiar, what else should be on our "must do" list?  Any restaurants/bars we have to visit to blow my per diem money?  Any cool military/gun stuff?

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't forget the NRA Museum!

And the home of the late great General Robert E. Lee!

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to the air and space museum out by Dulles Airport .. I think its better than the one in DC

https://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center/

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Bring a pitchfork!
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#4]
If you visit the white house, take a dump on the doorstep for me?
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Go get some frozen yogurt at Mr Yogato, try to come up with as many ways to get the discount as possible (There's 'rules' and tricks written on the wall regarding how to get discounts)
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Do the City Segway tour.  I was so impressed, I bought a T-shirt.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Go to the air and space museum out by Dulles Airport .. I think its better than the one in DC

View Quote

Better by a huge margin, but I still recommend you GET BOTH!

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#8]
The Spy museum is fun.  The FBI tour used to be interesting.

Also the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.

Washington Monument.

There are more museums outside DC too like the crypto logic museum that are great.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I had no idea about the "other" air & space museum.  Thanks for the tip!

Also can't believe I forgot about the NRA museum!
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 on this advice.  The Dulles museum is awesome and has so much more than the DC location.  Parking costs but museum is free as all Smithsonians. Its a good distance from DC so you might want to find other stuff to do in NOVA while you are out there.  The museum has one of the good Imax theatres, and NRA museum/range is nearby.  

National Zoo might have their new baby panda on display by Feb.  They are real protective of it cause it belongs to our creditors, the chicoms.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed.  It's a great museum!

If you have a little time and want a great burger, take Hwy 7 out toward Leesburg and check out "Melt."  I forget which burger it is, but the one with Bleu Cheese and Bacon...OMG.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Holocaust memorial
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Stand on the right, walk on the left while on Metro escalators. Don't take the Red Line when schools are getting out. Don't take the Green Line anywhere.  Be very careful when driving in DC proper. The city is loaded with red light and speed cameras.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#15]
OST

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#16]
National Gallery of Art.  Hit the gift shop and buy Van Goghs for $5.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#17]
1. Smoke crack
2. Get whores
3. Become mayor.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#18]
For drinking, the brickskeller is famous for an insane variety of beers. (800ish different bottled beers)
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#19]
The new capitol building tour sucks
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Given the current circumstances, I'd have to say that the "must do" list if you find yourself in Washington DC starts with "escape".
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#21]
The crab cakes at Old Ebbitt Grill are good
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Holocaust museum
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Hill Side BBQ on Tues or Thrs nights(cant remember which day, look at their website).  Like all you can eat(with limitations of food items eat) for $20 and Bens Chilli bowl.  As far as Muesuems, go to what ever floats your boat, but dont skip the 2 eats I listed.  The NOVA Hometown guys hooked me up with all kinds of places to eat when I was there.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Consider walking past the IRS building and giving them the finger. I did last time I was there..

National Archives was pretty cool... as was seeing one of the original US Constitutions in its case.

A lot of the memorials are within walking distance... I think. I didn't make it to the holocaust memorial. It was too far and my feet hurt.

Vietnam War Memorial. It's just different. There's something about it. I don't know.

Korean War Memorial. I walked right into the middle of it and didn't realize it.

Go see old Abe Lincoln. He's got a big head.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Go on National Parks website and get tix for Washington monument now.  The Air and Space annex is awesome as others have noted, and is 20 minute drive from Bull Run Battlefields. Want a White House tour you're probably too late, go through congressman's office.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#26]
The national archives kinda sucks as well.  They went really PC.  

Don't bother taking the bus tour of Arlington.  Seems like they are mainly interesting in pointing out the black service men and politicians buried there.  Historic generals and medal of honor recipients get ignored for the most part on this tour.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Look around in some unlocked cars to complete your LE badge collection.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#28]
El Pollo Rico in Arlington.

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Stay off the red line.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Here's another recommendation for the Air and Space museum near Dulles airport.  Admission is free, but parking is $15.00, I believe.

While you are out there you could also check out the Sully Plantation Historic site.  The main house was completed in 1799.
The site is on the east side of Rt 28.  Same exit ramp as Air and Space just opposite direction.

Harpers Ferry West Virgnia is a great place to visit if you have time for a longer drive away from DC  
The view of the of confluence of the Shenandoah and the Potomac rivers was 'worth a voyage across the Atlantic'  according to Thomas Jefferson.

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Museum of the Marine Corps
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

This 100%.  Also the National Museum of the United States Marine Corps.  http://www.usmcmuseum.com/index.asp

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#33]
You MUST make sure you don't have a spent cartridge, even a 22LR, ANYWHERE in your vehicle, or you will go directly to jail for years.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#34]
National spy museum is pretty cool. I know some pretty cool old school bars too but it will take ne some time to find/remember the names.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The crab cakes at Old Ebbitt Grill are good
View Quote

There's a semi secluded nook at Old Ebbitt to avoid the crowds. Go in the front door, take a hard left up the stairs, walk straight to the wall in front of you, take a hard right and you'll find a hidden nook where you can have some privacy. There's a window that looks out over G St NW.

The real answer is not to go to DC.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Museum of the Marine Corps
View Quote

Best military museum ever.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You MUST make sure you don't have a spent cartridge, even a 22LR, ANYWHERE in your vehicle, or you will go directly to jail for years.
View Quote

I may or may not have found a spent 223 casing while digging through my bag outside of the Whitehouse right by the crazy nuclear protest people.

Might of freaked out a little.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Consider walking past the IRS building and giving them the finger. I did last time I was there..

National Archives was pretty cool... as was seeing one of the original US Constitutions in its case.

A lot of the memorials are within walking distance... I think. I didn't make it to the holocaust memorial. It was too far and my feet hurt.

Vietnam War Memorial. It's just different. There's something about it. I don't know.

Korean War Memorial. I walked right into the middle of it and didn't realize it.

Go see old Abe Lincoln. He's got a big head.
View Quote
This...........and if the Wall doesn't put a lump in your throat nothing will!

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Stand on the right, walk on the left while on Metro escalators. Don't take the Red Line when schools are getting out. Don't take the Green Line anywhere.  Be very careful when driving in DC proper. The city is loaded with red light and speed cameras.
View Quote

This. The locals can sometimes be downright hostile if you foolishly stand on the left.

Otherwise, I'll echo many of the prior suggestions (Air & Space - Udvar-Hazy; NRA Museum, etc.) The National Portrait Gallery is also a pretty cool place, I was pleasantly surprised when I took a date there. The International Spy Museum is also pretty cool, but can be expensive. They do offer a number of admission discounts though, so be sure to check out their website to see if you qualify for any of them.

Go to Old Town Alexandria for some good restaurants (I'm a fan of Pizzeria Paradiso).

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Ride the Metro Red Line
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Tag.  Went twice when I was in school, haven't been back as an adult.  Going with my wife in late Feb, so also interested in ideas.

I'd happily camp my ass in the Smithsonian for a week, but want her to enjoy the trip too.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Go to the corners of 8th&I

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can't really add much to what everyone else posted, but Cut_Nail posts advice to live by.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Everything else I would hit has been mentioned, but my younger sister and I enjoyed Mt. Vernon when we went.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Jump the white-house fence and chill in the oval office. No one will stop you.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:36:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Tag.  Went twice when I was in school, haven't been back as an adult.  Going with my wife in late Feb, so also interested in ideas.

I'd happily camp my ass in the Smithsonian for a week, but want her to enjoy the trip too.
View Quote

Go to the Manassas Battlefield Park.....In particular the 2nd Manassas part. You may find it....interesting.

On August 30, 1862 at 4:00 PM, the Texas Brigade advanced.

A piercing rebel yell emerged from the woods. The Texas Brigade struck the 10th New York Regiment head on, forcing them to flee for their lives into the ranks of the nearby 5th New York. The 5th and 10th were engulfed and annihilated under a hailstorm of bullets.  The 5th New York suffered the highest casualties of any Union regiment during the war.

One Texan recalled how the Union’s  uniformed dead had “the appearance of a Texas hillside when carpeted in the spring by wild flowers of many hues and tints.”

Onward the tide swept toward a battery of artillery. Members of Battery G, 1st Pennsylvania Artillery panicked and left their guns.

Within an hour, the Texas brigade had destroyed two regiments and captured an entire battery.

Longstreet’s attack on Pope’s left followed by Jackson’s on his right bent the Army of Virginia into a horseshoe. Pope’s Army was forced to retreat. It was Bull Run all over again! Only a timely thunderstorm and a determined stand on Henry House Hill prevented total destruction.

For the Texas Brigade, they had performed beyond expectations but at a cost 600 casualties. To the end of the war, Lee would rely on his Texans to carry his dwindling fortunes.

Out of the thousands who served in the Texas Brigade, only 617 remained when the brigade surrendered at Appomattox.

http://warriorsofthelonestar.blogspot.com/2011/10/texas-tsunami-texas-brigade-at-second.html
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Arlington / Unknowns, Archives, Air & Space, Dulles Air aux. museum, WWII Memorial, Lincoln,  Silent Drill Platoon at 8th & I, Capitol Rotunda if you can get in.

and if you have time and a rental car, there are several major civil war battlefields within an hour's drive of DC.
http://dc.about.com/od/walkingtours/tp/NationalBattlefields.--Mf.htm

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Jump a fence.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Ford's Theater and the Petersen House across the street.
If you go to Chinatown, look for the Wok and Roll restaurant.  It is actually Mary Surratt's boarding house where Booth and the conspirators met

In the area around the WH, go to the roof terrace of the Washington hotel and have dessert.  Fantastic view of Washngton

Near the old EOB go to Swings coffee on a side street. Great coffee they have been roasting in DC since 1915

Also, all the stuff previously mentioned
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top