Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/18/2015 11:37:51 PM EDT
My wife and I have had two wonderful boys that are brothers in our care (foster) for the past two and a half years. We were recently able to adopt them. Our oldest was born with only an ear lobe on the right side of his head. Since hes been with us he has been through 5 surgeries to build him an ear and one to remove all that had been done because it didn't take. Thats a lot for a little guy. We are taking him to a Dr. that can do it all in one surgery using rib cartilage instead of plastic. This is his last shot for a real ear. We want to give him this chance. We just need some help getting there. The rest of the story and a pic of his current condition are at the link. Please help if you can and share on whatever social media you use. If you have any questions I'll answer the best that I can and thank you.

Link

There are some good questions below so I want to add this.
The surgery is scheduled. Our insurance is going to pay. We have cover all travel expenses and the deductible which is a lot. We have to be there long enough to make sure its going to heal up and not need additional surgery, 2-4 weeks. Between plane tickets, hotel, food, rental car, etc. it adds up to a lot. Not to mention lost pay from work if it goes past the 2 week mark.

ETA - received confirmation from Striker - thread approved, GTG. - T7
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:41:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:43:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You need to IM Striker for approval before posting this.
View Quote

yeah, the other thread got locked and deleted

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:43:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sent him a message, he said it was okay.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:45:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:46:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:47:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you talked to or looked into Scottish Rite.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:48:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:49:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Typically he posts in the threads he approves.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sent him a link. Sorry for another gofundme thread. We just need a little assistance. I also apologize for not doing it right on the first go round.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:52:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Never heard of it. I'll google.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:52:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:58:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm so tapped right now I can't help. Believe me I would at least give something, I've done it several times before. If i can give Zack money for a house fire, I sure as hell will help your family. Keep this thread going at least a week or so, maybe two, and I'm in. Sorry for your sons situation. I haven't prayed yet tonight. What's his name so I can add him in. Best wishes.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:59:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Have you heard back from him?  Please read the announcement thread at the top of the forum.  I understand your desire to help your son, but you (and everyone!) REALLY need to do this right, as reposting this without express permission from Striker will get you banned from the site.  "I sent him a link" doesn't sound like "he said it's okay."  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sent him a link. Sorry for another gofundme thread. We just need a little assistance. I also apologize for not doing it right on the first go round.

Have you heard back from him?  Please read the announcement thread at the top of the forum.  I understand your desire to help your son, but you (and everyone!) REALLY need to do this right, as reposting this without express permission from Striker will get you banned from the site.  "I sent him a link" doesn't sound like "he said it's okay."  

Do it right so you can help your kid, maybe even get a stickyl
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:02:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He asked me to send him the link so he could post in it so it wouldn't get deleted. My initial message to him included me asking how to do this right so as not to get suspended or banned from my favorite site.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:06:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm so tapped right now I can't help. Believe me I would at least give something, I've done it several times before. If i can give Zack money for a house fire, I sure as hell will help your family. Keep this thread going at least a week or so, maybe two, and I'm in. Sorry for your sons situation. I haven't prayed yet tonight. What's his name so I can add him in. Best wishes.
View Quote

Prayers are appreciated, his name is Joseph. Other than having to constantly push up or adjust his glasses he doesn't miss a beat.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:06:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shriners hospitals do facial repairs too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:09:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Best of luck to you. My daughter was born with the same condition. I love her to death and wouldnt trade her for the world.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:18:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mr helper
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:19:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Best of luck to you. My daughter was born with the same condition. I love her to death and wouldnt trade her for the world.
View Quote

When they brought them in the room to us I never even noticed it. I couldn't get past his smile. My wife and I both fell in love with them the day they came home with us. With everything they've been through they still are compassionate loving little boys. And no, even with all the I don't wanna do my home works, we wouldn't trade them for anything either.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:19:44 AM EDT
[#20]
+1 for Shriners......look them up.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:28:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is the IM from Striker minus his first name. I realize I didn't do it right the first time.

To: BigJ72
Date: 11/18/2015 9:01:08 PM EST
Subject: Re: go fund me?
Is it ok for me to post a gofundme thread for my son in GD? Just want to make sure its ok. I enjoy the site too much for a suspension or ban.
https://www.gofundme.com/jtafkmtg

Thanks for your time, Jason

certainly Jason.
Send me the link and I will post in it so the mods know it's approved.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:30:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
+1 for Shriners......look them up.
View Quote

Will do, Thank you
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:31:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:34:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:37:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Here is the IM from Striker minus his first name. I realize I didn't do it right the first time.

To: BigJ72
Date: 11/18/2015 9:01:08 PM EST
Subject: Re: go fund me?
Is it ok for me to post a gofundme thread for my son in GD? Just want to make sure its ok. I enjoy the site too much for a suspension or ban.
https://www.gofundme.com/jtafkmtg

Thanks for your time, Jason

certainly Jason.
Send me the link and I will post in it so the mods know it's approved.
View Quote

I think he wants to have you send him the link to this thread so he can post in the thread then everyone will know its approved.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:43:39 AM EDT
[#26]
It may sound crazy, but my wife watches a show called "Botched" on E! channel. The two doctors on the show are highly recognized plastic surgeons who specialize in difficult surgeries. Maybe send the show your story and who knows, they may be able to help.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:46:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That's what you need--thanks.  He must have gotten busy and forgot.  Carry on and good luck!  Please post a pic of your son with his new ear!  
View Quote

If I can talk my wife into it I'll post a pic of them helping me finish up a deck we built for our church. Definitely one of his new ear.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:52:32 AM EDT
[#28]
What a good story. I could never foster animals or children... my heart is on my sleeve when it comes to innocents.

I'd keep everything I fostered haha
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:55:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It may sound crazy, but my wife watches a show called "Botched" on E! channel. The two doctors on the show are highly recognized plastic surgeons who specialize in difficult surgeries. Maybe send the show your story and who knows, they may be able to help.
View Quote

The surgery is scheduled. Our insurance is going to pay. We have cover all travel expenses and the deductible which is a lot. We have to be there long enough to make sure its going to heal up and not need additional surgery, 2-4 weeks. Between plane tickets, hotel, food, rental car, etc. it adds up to a lot. Not to mention lost pay from work if it goes past the 2 week mark.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 1:03:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What a good story. I could never foster animals or children... my heart is on my sleeve when it comes to innocents.

I'd keep everything I fostered haha
View Quote

You are correct sir. The goal of fostering is for the parents to fix their lives and get the children back. This is by far the hardest thing I've ever done in my life and I worked corrections for a few years, lol. Even after the adoption of the boys the stress is still kind of there. The parents live not too far from us. It makes the loss issue for the boys that much harder, we see them all the time going through our small town.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 1:19:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That's what you need--thanks.  He must have gotten busy and forgot.  Carry on and good luck!  Please post a pic of your son with his new ear!  
View Quote

I think the OP only sent him the Gofundme  link, not this one.

OP I hope you kid gets his ear.

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 1:30:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Edited...VA-gunnut
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 1:33:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 1:36:08 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

One of our questions to the Dr. was will it grow like his other ear. He said yes :)

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 1:39:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Hope it all goes well for you and the little guy!
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:00:16 AM EDT
[#36]
God Bless.  $sent.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:08:29 AM EDT
[#37]
First off, thanks, again, for being a positive influence in the Universe and fostering/adopting kids in need!  Truly a remarkably good thing to do.

Second, your boy sounds like a strong kid. I can't imagine the disappointment he must have experienced when he lost the first attempted ear.  I'm sure there is a lot of hope pinned on this Idaho procedure.  

Finally, is there a scheduled date for the procedure yet - i.e. a make it or break it fund raising deadline?  Our income was just cut in half, but we'll do what we can and I'll pass the word for sure.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:14:29 AM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:18:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:19:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:21:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Since the other thread was locked and deleted I'll ask again. Since you are a foster home, doesn't that require you to have medical insurance and why isn't that taking care of it? Either way good luck and I hope you got this approved this time.

ETA looks like it was approved, good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Since the other thread was locked and deleted I'll ask again. Since you are a foster home, doesn't that require you to have medical insurance and why isn't that taking care of it? Either way good luck and I hope you got this approved this time.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:22:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:23:12 AM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:23:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:24:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:24:35 AM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:26:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I missed that. I was figured it was some insurance bs that some places pulled. I hate it when those things happen, especially with kids. I'm glad they are taking care of it.

Thanks for digging that up zero.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I missed that. I was figured it was some insurance bs that some places pulled. I hate it when those things happen, especially with kids. I'm glad they are taking care of it.

Thanks for digging that up zero.

Not a prob
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:30:01 AM EDT
[#48]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 7:30:40 AM EDT
[#49]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
[Deleted]
View Quote

Op. I hope all goes well.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top