Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/2/2015 2:14:18 PM EDT
I know a lot of you stock tuna as part of your preps. If you bought ONE 5 oz. can of Starkist Tuna between 2009 and 2014, you can get 50$ of tuna free to add to your preps.

Here's a link with more info.

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/29917381/starkist-settlement-means-customers-get-25-in-cash-or-50-in-tuna#at_pco=cfd-1.0

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent thank you for posting.

(Online form takes about 2 minutes)
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, OP!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice find... Thanks
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Starkist is the only brand of tuna I buy. I guess an under filled can is better than the putrid cans of Chicken of the Sea I once bought. Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not knocking the OP or anyone else in the thread.  On the contrary, thanks for pointing out the lawsuit.  

I've bought Starkist Tuna within the timeframe, but am not much on jumping in on free money just because some lawyer somewhere found a way to make a buck. I'm sure I could type out quite a rant, but figure that just makes me come across as holier than thou. Besides, without lawsuits like this companies would be less likely to adopt ethical business practices.

For those of you who are interested in the claimed facts behind the free $25, here's a link:
https://www.truthinadvertising.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Hendricks-v.-Starkist-Co..pdf

There seems to be pretty good justification for jumping on the money if you so choose. I think I will probably not dilute the honey pot.

ETA: If the claims are true and Starkist was intentionally committing fraud, I wonder why they kept underfilling cans a year and a half after the lawsuit was filed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks OP, I love starkist tuna
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:31:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#10]
sorry, Charlie.........
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#11]
what if I ate 2 cans? does that mean I csna get 100 dollars of tuna? or like 200 cans?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks, and filed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Overly letigious society? Nah...
I've bought plenty of their tuna and qualify for the deal, but....this is part of what's wrong with this country.  

I could really use some free food though....

Nope, can't bring myself to do it.
SHAME ON YOU TUNA THIEVES!
PEOPLE WHO BUY THEIR TUNA NOW, ARE PAYING FOR YOUR FREE TUNA! WAY TO STICK IT TO THE MAN, WHO WILL ONLY STICK IT TO THE UNKNOWING CONSUMER.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:30:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks OP, I have bought quite a bit of Ole Charlie Tuna.

I took the coupons for more tuna
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:53:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks OP, I have one can left in my stash.  Best by 9/20/13  I bought it 5/2011.

I bought stacks of them, guess I'll get a coupon.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:42:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I took the $50 in vouchers.

I have many cans older than 2014.

Think I'll do some weighing if I can find a decent scale not in grains.

Txl
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:45:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not knocking the OP or anyone else in the thread.  On the contrary, thanks for pointing out the lawsuit.  

I've bought Starkist Tuna within the timeframe, but am not much on jumping in on free money just because some lawyer somewhere found a way to make a buck. I'm sure I could type out quite a rant, but figure that just makes me come across as holier than thou. Besides, without lawsuits like this companies would be less likely to adopt ethical business practices.

For those of you who are interested in the claimed facts behind the free $25, here's a link:
https://www.truthinadvertising.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Hendricks-v.-Starkist-Co..pdf

There seems to be pretty good justification for jumping on the money if you so choose. I think I will probably not dilute the honey pot.

ETA: If the claims are true and Starkist was intentionally committing fraud, I wonder why they kept underfilling cans a year and a half after the lawsuit was filed.
View Quote

This.  A thousand times this.  I throw the checks I get from Toyota for the "unintended acceleration" class action in the trash.  I hate the legal profession that created this game, which does nothing but punish the customer and enrich lawyers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:54:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Huh...I'll bet I've got at least a case of those in storage...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This.  A thousand times this.  I throw the checks I get from Toyota for the "unintended acceleration" class action in the trash.  I hate the legal profession that created this game, which does nothing but punish the customer and enrich lawyers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just to clarify, any unclaimed money from class action lawsuits does not go back to the company. It gets tendered to the court which then will direct the funds to "the next best use". This can include escheatment to the State or Federal Government.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just to clarify, any unclaimed money from class action lawsuits does not go back to the company. It gets tendered to the court which then will direct the funds to "the next best use". This can include escheatment to the State or Federal Government.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know.  I just don't care and don't want anything to do with it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not free money if you truly are a Starkist tuna customer. According to the lawsuit, independent testing showed that Starkist underfilled the 5-ounce containers by as much as 17.3% below the Federally mandated minimum. That means that for every 6 cans you bought, you got less than 5 cans worth of tuna. If you eat a lot of tuna (bodybuilders go through a lot, people tend to put it in CARE packages for deployed troops due to its long shelf life, preppers keep a lot for the same reason), it's very feasible that you handed over $25-50 of your money to Starkist during a five year period and didn't get the product for which you paid.

Looking at Wal-Mart's web site, they list 10-count packages of 5-oz Chunk Light Tuna in water, the least expensive of the products listed in the lawsuit, as costing $7.47. Disregarding tax or the likelihood that prices are higher now than they were in 2009, that's still about 70 cans for $50, or about 14 cans a year for the five year period the suit covers, or about 1 can a month. I know I buy at least 2-4 cans a month. Let's assume I buy 1 can a week, which makes just enough tuna salad for my wife, kids, and I to each have one sandwich each week. Over a five year period, that's 260 cans, or 26 of those 10-packs, which comes out to $194.22 spent on tuna. If those cans are all 17.3% underfilled, instead of getting 1300 ounces of tuna, I would have only received 1075 ounces, or 215 cans worth. Those 45 cans worth of unreceived tuna would be worth $33.62, at $7.47/10. The extra $16.38 would cover sales taxes I spent (9.75% here), the cost of going back to the store to redeem the vouchers, and some punitive damages to inspire Starkist not to do it again. If you go through more than one can a week, or buy the more expensive Albacore, the value of the vouchers versus the money spent during the period of the lawsuit is going to much closer to being equal, or even going to the side of the customer still losing money.

It isn't free money, it's getting back money their customers gave them while being deceived.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Nope I'm not FSA.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't need to put any more of my personal information "online" and I don't trust their lawyers anyway.  Not worth 50 bucks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Done
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:24:01 PM EDT
[#28]
My family eats quite a bit of tuna, and I used to buy Starfish exclusively.  Frankly I still do, unless I'm at Costco then I get Kirkland.  That sucks they under packed it by that much.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Nope I'm not FSA.
View Quote

It's not fsa they were shorting there customers
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm not a fsa pos so no thanks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Man I still have a bunch of cans in the pantry and preps. We've been buying the White Tuna in water since 2010.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I wonder how many FSA assholes will sign up for a claim, even if they have never bought a single can of Starkist in their lives - so they can get their "free" $25.
View Quote

I don't even feel right filing a claim after having bought a bunch of Starkist tuna in that time frame. I didn't notice the difference in weight and I wasn't bothered by what I got. It seems shitty to jump on the litigation train when I had no initial objection just for some free tuna while costing them money and enriching attorneys. If I had noticed they were under filling their cans I wouldn't sue. I would just switch brands.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:38:13 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't even know for sure if I bought Starkist tuna during that time, and if I did, I sure as hell can't remember ever being shorted product. I eat a lot of tuna, and it's something I like to think I'd notice.

So...I'll pass. It wouldn't feel right to me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Arf GD logic:

Business misrepresents amount of product being sold, tantamount to fraud
Business is sued for perpetrating the fraud, settles the case
And...
Arfcom says you are no better than a welfare leech for recovering your rightfully owed damages

This place really is fucked.  Some of you people are just fucking dumb.  Or trolls. Or you have some kind of high horseman's circle jerk going on where you beat each other off for posting dumb fuck nonsensical replies that make you look like a pompous dicks.  I really don't know.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks OP I love starkist tuna
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#37]
F it, the whole family eats this stuff up and they fraudulently skimped. In for 50
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#38]
In before a complaint about lack of dolphin?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#39]
IF only we can get a class action on the imitation crab meat company....
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks OP!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:42:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Same people complaining about FSA would jump on their high horse if they bought 500 rounds of ammo on the EE and only got 499.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

When I use the term FSA, I am talking about the people who NEVER bought any StarKist tuna, but will still sign up for this claim, because no proof is required.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same people complaining about FSA would jump on their high horse if they bought 500 rounds of ammo on the EE and only got 499.

When I use the term FSA, I am talking about the people who NEVER bought any StarKist tuna, but will still sign up for this claim, because no proof is required.

That's you.  You, however aren't representative of the other holier than thou schmucks that have and will continue to post in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I wonder how many FSA assholes will sign up for a claim, even if they have never bought a single can of Starkist in their lives - so they can get their "free" $25.
View Quote

I bet many even including some who constantly deride the FSA
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Itt people terrible at math/logic/common sense
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#48]
In, I have been a loyal Starkist tuna eater for decades. Yes, I know I'm going to die of mercury, and heavy metal poisoning.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#49]
I eat a lot of tuna, and starkist is the only kind I buy. That said I never noticed any being under filled, but fuck em, if they've been trying to rip me off I'll take my free tuna. (fuck the cash)
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Arf GD logic:

Business misrepresents amount of product being sold, tantamount to fraud
Business is sued for perpetrating the fraud, settles the case
And...
Arfcom says you are no better than a welfare leech for recovering your rightfully owed damages

This place really is fucked.  Some of you people are just fucking dumb.  Or trolls. Or you have some kind of high horseman's circle jerk going on where you beat each other off for posting dumb fuck nonsensical replies that make you look like a pompous dicks.  I really don't know.
View Quote

And, yet, they'll collectively boycott Cheaper Than Dirt for charging a higher-than-MSRP price for some ammo, even though CTD told prospective customers exactly how much more than MSRP they'd pay before they even clicked on "Add to Cart." CTD didn't deceive their customers, they just charged a higher-than-MSRP price for a product. Starkist actively fucked countless customers without even having the decency to let them know they were going in dry. So, CTD gets a boycott, while accepting repayment from Starkist is equated to being a welfare leech.

It's simple, if you're not a Starkist customer, don't request a check or voucher. If you are/were, but don't give a shit that they took your money without giving you the product you thought you were getting, don't request a check or voucher. But, don't assume, or imply, that accepting a voucher or check automatically means the recipient is a welfare leech.

The only people requesting a voucher or check who are leeches are the ones who didn't buy any of the named products during the time in the suit.

I wonder how many of the "I'm not FSA" types also believe that VA service-connected disability compensation for veterans is "conservative/white people welfare."
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top