Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/7/2015 12:26:39 AM EDT
Was driving on US85 in Wyoming last week and passed about 4 Minuteman silos. Some of them had homes within a stones throw away. Even one right outside of a town.

I'm from the 80s so I remember watching The Day After and that shit still scares me.

So would anyone willingly live beside one because odds are it'll never be used? Or would you not, knowing somewhere in Russia an SS-18 warhead has your homes coordinates dialed in? I guess it's not much different than living in Norfolk or Sedalia.

Just curious.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:29:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Everybody's gotta die man.

Missile silos are bad ass.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:29:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I've always wondered if Davis Montham was a target somewhere on some Russkie nuke list.

If so, I'm proper fucked if the shizzle hits the fizzle.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:30:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Be a heck of a show I guess. The launch and then thirty minutes later.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're launching for a reason.  You won't have to wait 30 minutes.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:35:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quick death, no radiation sickness.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:35:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just imagine some prepper wanting to find a sweet doomsday bug out location in a nice conservative tax friendly state like Wyoming, then doh! Ah shit I live next to a primary target.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:35:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm betting it wouldn't be a bad place to live.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:37:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I figure there are only bad places and worse places during a nuclear exchange.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:38:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Not much to them................That you can see, that is.

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:38:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Think of all the money you would save as you wouldn't need a fallout shelter or a bunch of shtf preps
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:39:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=33490
View Quote

Yep that's them. I grew up in Missouri back when Whiteman had them. Saw silos on the side of the road there too.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:46:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I made an offer on a place just N of CYS, it was accepted, and I was all ready to buy.    It was a couple hundred yards from a silo.      That was right when the markets froze up, and I crawfished out of the deal.  

I would buy it again tomorrow, if it was within two hours drive time of my job.  

40 Acres with a manufactured home and a giant steel building.   $168,000    Damn.     I may never have the chance again.     Being ground Zero, is a small price to pay for having a Range in your back yard.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:52:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Was driving on I-85 in Wyoming last week and passed about 4 Minuteman silos. Some of them had homes within a stones throw away. Even one right outside of a town.

I'm from the 80s so I remember watching The Day After and that shit still scares me.

So would anyone willingly live beside one because odds are it'll never be used? Or would you not, knowing somewhere in Russia an SS-18 warhead has your homes coordinates dialed in? I guess it's not much different than living in Norfolk or Sedalia.

Just curious.
View Quote

One way of looking at it is that the bad guys won't get close to the site without being deaded, and if TSHTF  better to be dead than dying in a city.

I'd probably not buy property next to one because it'd hurt resale but I'm weird like that.  

Cold War world was different from today.

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:57:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yep that's them. I grew up in Missouri back when Whiteman had them. Saw silos on the side of the road there too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That one is T-43 just outside of Valier MT. Inactive for quite some time.

I drive by it dozens of times per year.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:59:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I only caught one silo identifier- it was either B-8 or B-9, can't remember.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:59:57 AM EDT
[#16]
FE Warren is in the biggest city in the state.  There are a lot of people taking that chance.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 1:00:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Only the USSR had enough missiles for a proper counterforce strike.  China's strategic nuclear deterrent is much smaller and is undoubtedly targeted on economic and population centers.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 1:06:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, pick'em out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/90th_Missile_Wing_LGM-30_Minuteman_Missile_Launch_Sites
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 1:07:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 1:11:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Let's hope we never have the chance to find out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 1:11:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Look at it this way, If it goes active, You will be the first civilian to know it. Plus your end will be quick and painless.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 1:16:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 1:20:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Those 319th guys had it easy...nice short drive out to the MAF. I was assigned to I-01 for a year, H-01 for a year, and was NCOIC at G-01 for three years.

Missile Alert Facility Manager is a little known, good, Special Duty assignment. Especially if you are not wanting to be  putting up with day to day crap on main base. We usually worked 3 on, 5 off, and by off I mean off grow a beard for 5 days off. Saved up a crap load of leave because I never needed to take any.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 1:35:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Wonder how often you'd wake up at night after hearing a sound and thinking was that a whooshing sound I just heard.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 1:42:41 AM EDT
[#25]

I'm familiar with them also.  Probably driven by that very one.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 2:14:01 AM EDT
[#26]
You cats all have a short memory...
Remember the NIKE sites of the 50's ?

When we were using the AJAX, they were ALL over the place.
I grew up in Muskego, WI. We had 2 ourselves.

One is now a Tool and Die shop.
The other is an upscale subdivision.

When the Hercules came on the scene, it's greater range caused many to close.
Site 64 closed in 1964. The cable that synchronized the 2 sites was pulled out of Little Muskego Lake in 1978.

We loved riding our dirt bikes up on the Racine hill.
( the location of site 64)
Until some killjoy placed end loader buckets full of dirt on top of the launcher doors.

No more exploration
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 2:18:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You cats all have a short memory...
Remember the NIKE sites of the 50's ?

When we were using the AJAX, they were ALL over the place.
I grew up in Muskego, WI. We had 2 ourselves.

One is now a Tool and Die shop.
The other is an upscale subdivision.

When the Hercules came on the scene, it's greater range caused many to close.
Site 64 closed in 1964. The cable that synchronized the 2 sites was pulled out of Little Muskego Lake in 1978.

We loved riding our dirt bikes up on the Racine hill.
( the location of site 64)
Until some killjoy placed end loader buckets full of dirt on top of the launcher doors.

No more exploration
View Quote

. Yeah, it's not so much a question of Memory.   The majority of us weren't even born in 1964.    
The Nike was an AA missile.   AJAX wasn't a nuke.        Hercules did have a Nuke warhead, but not at all similar to an ICBM.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 2:49:29 AM EDT
[#28]
There are quite a few silos in CO

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 2:56:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Can be not so cool

Aviator
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 3:04:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Well, the one guy can say he survived a nuclear missile going off only feet away from him.

What about the ones in Central America?
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 3:11:13 AM EDT
[#31]

NW Of Minot if I remember.

Aviator
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 3:14:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Let's hope we never have the chance to find out.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 3:19:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Believe they made a movie of the week about that missile explosion back in the 80's.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 3:20:39 AM EDT
[#34]

Damascus?

ETA: Yes, Danasacus. Blame the dead airman.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 3:23:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Government probably constructed those houses for some outragious fee to help camouflage the silos.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 3:41:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Was driving on I-85 in Wyoming last week and passed about 4 Minuteman silos. Some of them had homes within a stones throw away. Even one right outside of a town.

Just curious.
View Quote

What's in Sedalia?
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 3:49:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Government probably constructed those houses for some outragious fee to help camouflage the silos.
View Quote

Prepare for battlestations

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:08:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm betting it wouldn't be a bad place to live.
View Quote

And they're betting it wouldn't be a bad place to die...
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:31:10 AM EDT
[#39]

Pretty quiet neighbors most of the time.

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:39:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Shoot, every morning back in the late 80's, I'd drive past (potentially, but of course I'm not "sure") dozens of SLBMs, climb the brow to the Holland and work between 30 or so MIRVed Tridents nestled in boomers tied up along side of us. When I'd head down to the boats, I'd often walk through Sherwood Forrest, rows of big vertical pale green tubes... Now that's firepower! I don't know, do you think Naval Weapons Station Charleston was on anyone's target list???
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:43:30 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Just curious.
View Quote
My city would be nuked.  I know because the DOD built 3 Nike missile bases around my city in the 60's and bases some of what few F-22 fighters we have here.

The government seems to want to defend us, because we're so close to Russia and now China.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:00:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Believe they made a movie of the week about that missile explosion back in the 80's.
View Quote

Disaster at Silo 7
I have it on VHS somewhere
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:05:05 AM EDT
[#43]
I used to live 5 miles from STRATCOM (formerly SAC HQ).  Could see the building from my house.  If the balloon went up, it was probably time to sit on  the deck and crack open a cold beer.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:39:27 AM EDT
[#44]
If it came to nuclear war, I'd rather die in an instant ifrom the blast than slowly from radiation poisoning.  But then most my life I have been living in a primary strike zone.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:45:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Grew up at VAFB in the '60's. Missiles going off every other week, night and day. Very cool for a kid.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:46:19 AM EDT
[#46]
if you have google earth installed here is the link to the KML file of all the 90th Missle wing minuteman missle sites
holy crap that's a lot of nukes.  to think they used to have 3 warheads on each of em.
http://tools.wmflabs.org/kmlexport?article=90th_Missile_Wing_LGM-30_Minuteman_Missile_Launch_Sites
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:25:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:29:04 AM EDT
[#48]
I grew up in eastern WY and western NE surrounded by missile fields.  Had several silos within a few miles of my house.  I never worried too much about it, honestly.  If the SHTF I'd rather be at ground zero than 300 miles downwind anyway.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:40:51 AM EDT
[#49]
I have some old Civil Defense literature somewhere. In southern Ohio, it did not matter where you were if the Soviets attacked. The circles all
overlapped many times...
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#50]
I live in central CT
I am surrounded on all sides by Pratt and Whitney and Sikorski and their various subcontractors
30 or so miles to the southeast is Electric Boat , Groten Sub base and the Coast Guard Academy

I may not be in the X-ring but if the big one cooks off there will be plenty of crap.

Find me a nice deal on a piece of property out in the sticks and I could care less how near it is to a silo
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top