Posted: 3/27/2015 10:37:42 AM EDT
Pro: Social security ponzi scheme is shut down and the country is better off
Con: You won't receive anything you paid into it
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not likely to ever see anything I paid in anyway, so I'd rather shut it down and quit paying that social security tax.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I would still come out ahead.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes. In before the old farts who want their share.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not likely to ever see anything I paid in anyway, so I'd rather shut it down and quit paying that social security tax.
View Quote

This.

Just like O-care, it'll never be shut down though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Hell yes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Not possible.  It could be tapered off, which fucks everyone.  That is the most "fair" and reasonable way to end it, but that will never happen because "I wants mine!"  

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#8]
No, my Dad paid a LOT of money into SS and deserves to recoup at least some of that.  It's a bad program but just canceling the whole thing benefits the young guys by screwing the old guys.  We (woefully) got into this mess as a nation and I'd rather see us get out as a nation.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:44:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Why can't you have a middle ground. Keep it as is but have the ability to opt out or cut it off for people born after a certain date to honor the commitment to those who have been paying in all these years or give people to start diverting their remaining payments into private accounts....

I'm for making it go away but too many americans have it figured into their financial stability to quit it cold turkey....
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't care if I see dime but I'd be open to other solutions as well to fix it.  My biggest complaints are that the program compells the government to increase spending since the funds must be invested in government debt by law and that the retirement age doesn't adjust with reality.  I also think it should be voluntary.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#11]

If I could keep the "contribution."  Problem is, politicians never give it back.  They will find another way to keep the same amount or even more....

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I have paid in $204,000 so far.... how much of that has congress stolen by buying T bills with it and giving it to junkies, cause they are disabled?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#14]
SS needs to be shut down, but I think it would be best to slowly phase it out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This x1000.
I have more than 40 years left of paying them. I know that I will never see a penny I put in anyway
Shut it down
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been paying into it for nearly forty years.  Sure, shut it down - give me a few years where I actually get to keep my money and pump it into my own retirement plan.  But pay me the fuck back everything I've paid in, at whatever interest would be reasonable.  Otherwise, you're just stealing from me.  And doing it openly and unapologetically at that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#17]
A wise man would calculate the net present value of his future benefits before casting a vote. That NPV represents what you'd have to pony up out of pocket to replace the forfeit benefits.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

What on earth makes you think that you would get out of paying the tax?

The politicians would rename it (how about a "health care tax") or add it to the income tax.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A wise man would calculate the net present value of his future benefits before casting a vote. That NPV represents what you'd have to pony up out of pocket to replace the forfeit benefits.

View Quote

A principled man would oppose it whether it was the best financial decision or not.

ETA. Not saying you aren't principled. Just that I'm against it for reasons other than financial ones.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Maybe if I was still in my youth but I'm +/- 2 years from being able to draw out of it so I plan on at least getting my contributions back.  It is a Ponzi scheme as set up right now and any real reforms will hurt some group.  At some point the political decision will have to be made as to which group gets screwed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#21]
No. It could be fixed easily and is an important program.
I believe it was set up as an insurance policy for widows as women outlive men.
Raise the age and cut the bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've been paying into it for nearly forty years.  Sure, shut it down - give me a few years where I actually get to keep my money and pump it into my own retirement plan.  But pay me the fuck back everything I've paid in, at whatever interest would be reasonable.  Otherwise, you're just stealing from me.  And doing it openly and unapologetically at that.
View Quote

Serious question-

How would they pay you back?  The money you paid in was gone as soon as it hit the bank.  They spent it to pay older benificiaries.  There is no money.  It is gone.  

It is the nature of a ponzi scheme.

So, yes...you were stolen from.  Now what?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Yep. Fortunately I don't pay into it right now.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#24]
I would support locking it down and continue to pay those over 40 years old until they die, but everyone under 40 is off the  future roles and pays a much reduced amount.

Those that are never enrolled don't pay, (unborn to under 18)

BUT! that'll never happen. Were are going to set this baby's auto pilot from 38,000 feet to 100 feet and ride this thing all the way in to France.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

People should plan for their own retirements. I don't want to give the .gov control over my retirement funds.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#26]
who needs SS when Obungo has given us infinite wealth through welfare, food stamps and obama phones
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:54:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Serious question-

How would they pay you back?  The money you paid in was gone as soon as it hit the bank.  They spent it to pay older benificiaries.  There is no money.  It is gone.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question-

Soon, very soon.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Imagine what could be accomplished if all of the time and energy spent tilting at the SS windmill was spent going after an aspect of gun control, like Hughes or the 1968 import restrictions...
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:56:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question-

Soon, very soon.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3plc8Uxi8jrX6Vdl5EQzmUPFfhvVgKXLSlWAc3-GQisnLqPH6
http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/london_riots/bp1.jpg

Burn this bitch down!

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
No, my Dad paid a LOT of money into SS and deserves to recoup at least some of that.  It's a bad program but just canceling the whole thing benefits the young guys by screwing the old guys.  We (woefully) got into this mess as a nation and I'd rather see us get out as a nation.
View Quote

There is no way to end it without someone getting screwed. There is no way to continue without someone getting screwed. Either way, some folks are getting screwed. The only difference between the two options is that the longer this program exists the longer and more painful the screwing will be with each option.

We need to kill it. I've been paying in for almost 2 decades. I'm willing to cut my losses and share in the screwing because I know if I don't it will only get worse.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

[can't tell if serious gif]

http://www.amazon.com/Rooseveltcare-Social-Security-Sabotaging-Self-Reliance/dp/0979466172
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#32]
No but I would support kicking everyone off that never paid a dime into it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No but I would support kicking everyone off that never paid a dime into it.
View Quote

TPNI
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#34]
To protect my child from the Pyramid scheme? Absolutely.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, the young don't care they have invested little, screw the older guys who have paid in 100's of thousands. Just in the last 20 yrs I myself have paid in over 250k. Wanna shut it down fine. Give me what I paid in and close the books.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, the money you put it is to pay off the debt from the previous generation.  YOU are stealing from ME to justify what was taken from you before I was even born.  If it continues, I will be stealing from my kid and his generation.  I am not a thief.

Shut that shit down!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#38]
I didn't "pay into" anything.

I paid a tax.

I'd rather stop paying that tax, and save my own money in ways I see fit.

The fact that others fail to prepare isn't my fucking problem, and when "they" decide the rich need to pay their fair share it always ends up coming out of my pocket. I make too much for subsidies and welfare, but nowhere near enough to avoid taxes. I'm a middle class man and I am really tired of being fucked over by a system trying to "help" people.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Double tap
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Burn it down right now.  I'm 38, and don't even have kids.

Keep my money... I'm cool with it as long as they stop taking it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No, the money you put it is to pay off the debt from the previous generation.  YOU are stealing from ME to justify what was taken from you before I was even born.  If it continues, I will be stealing from my kid and his generation.  I am not a thief.

Shut that shit down!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shut that shit down!

Bingo.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Serious question-

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question-

~ insert Morgan Friedman "he's right you know" .jpeg ~

The whole "paid into it" nonsense is just part of the scam.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#45]
What would do with all the old folks who have limited savings that would be left out in the cold and homeless?

The system is broke but they are not  the ones who broke it. The Govt. broke it with the consent of the people.  It needs to be fixed in a way that does not unjustly punish any one group.

I have always said if they give me the money I and the company paid into my account I'd be happy not to ever get another check.

As far as I'm concerned all the SS payments, both yours and the companies, should be able to go into a retirement saving program of your choice. However we still need to take care of those who paid in and now are retired and depending on it to live.

EBR666
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Yes, I don't even pay in.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#47]
I voted yes but would like to see it given back as tax breaks so I can invest in what I want with a better return on my Capitol
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#48]
I've been paying into it for over 20 years.  I want my fucking money back.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#49]
I'd be 1000% happy if they shut down SS and I lost all the $$$ I put into it if I didn't have to pay for it.  (I won't see it anyhow, so it's not like I'm losing anything).
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Burn it down right now.  I'm 38, and don't even have kids.

Keep my money... I'm cool with it as long as they stop taking it.
View Quote

Do you really think if they shut down SS they will stop taking your money? The . Gov will simply stop giving working people SS you will still be paying a tax to support those who will not or cannot work.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 16
Top Top