Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/1/2015 12:14:10 AM EDT
Since it doesn't have fire pin block, so I figure it's not safe to keep a round in the chamber
I have full mag in, empty chamber, closed bolt, safety off
when there's need, rack slide and ready to go
stop, then safety on
when put it away, empty chamber and safety off

by the way, why ar15 can't put safety on unless it's cocked? design issue?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:43:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Cocked locked and ready to go,
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

isn't that dangerous, if it drops it could fire, free float firing pin and all that
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:58:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard that the free floating FP is an issue, yet I've never once heard of military men's rifles going off when they are diving into fox holes and throwing their guns around during battle. So...I dunno.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:06:26 AM EDT
[#4]
No not a design issue
It is already safe nothing in chamber not cocked.
The only time the safety is needed is when you have a round in chamber
Now you are cocked and ready to fire/safe

Tom
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:11:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've heard that the free floating FP is an issue, yet I've never once heard of military men's rifles going off when they are diving into fox holes and throwing their guns around during battle. So...I dunno.
View Quote

That's funny
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:11:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Empty chamber with a loaded mag inserted.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:28:13 AM EDT
[#7]
very oiled up, ammod up, chambered,  with many many mags right next to it. and then some of this and some of that.
I wish we didn't have to, but we do.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:40:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This

Joe
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:45:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Chambered. I like the least amount of steps as necessary.

Never personally heard of the whole "drop, fire" issue.

ETA: My ar is also my nightstand gun.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:51:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

isn't that dangerous, if it drops it could fire, free float firing pin and all that
View Quote

how does the firing pin have enough force to set off a chambered round without the hammer hitting it?
loaded mag, round chambered safety on.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:20:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Locked in the safe, unloaded  

My AR is not my HD weapon
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:21:13 AM EDT
[#12]
cocked locked and ready to rock
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:22:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

how does the firing pin have enough force to set off a chambered round without the hammer hitting it?
loaded mag, round chambered safety on.
View Quote

It most likely doesn't, but it is possible in just about all floating pin designs.  Same reason slam fires are a remote possibility.  All it takes a primer that is a little too soft, or a little too high, a pin just heavy enough, or a drop just hard enough and it could fire.  The punch line is that if the pin can hit the primer, there is a chance it could ignite it.

I keep mine empty with bolt closed and full mag inserted.  Quick rack of the charging handle and I'm ready to go.  I do this mainly in that once chambered, working the safety and the trigger is something that even my very young kids could figure out how to do.  No, I don't leave it (or any guns) laying around in their reach, but this is just one more precaution I take.

I will of course keep my carry pistols locked and loaded when on my person as I have full control of them.  I don't normally patrol my house with the AR slung over my shoulder.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:26:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

What do you use for HD if you don't mind me asking.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:31:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Locked in the safe with empty chamber and loaded mag. My AR is not my primary SD gun but could be in action very quickly.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:41:42 AM EDT
[#16]
also with safety on.......force of habit.
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:52:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Sig Sauer p220 Combat w/Surefire X300 Ultra
and / or
Rem 870 w/Surefire grip

The main reasons being, I've long had a place to secure both immediately accessible to the bed side.  I don't have the same for an AR
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:53:34 AM EDT
[#18]
its irresponsible to keep a weapon with an empty chamber in my mind

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:56:56 AM EDT
[#19]
My AR-15 is empty and locked up. My Ruger LC9 is always out, loaded and chambered, and never far from me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:00:33 AM EDT
[#20]
My AR is not my primary HD either, that is a Glock 17 with a TLR and night sights.  Inside the house, it's just not practical for me to deal with a long gun.  If I ever decide I need a long gun, it's going to be a threat that is outside the house, something like a 'yote attacking the neighbor (or whatever) and the extra seconds it takes me to open the safe and grab a mag, load and turn the dot on will allow me the moment to consider whether I REALLY want to be firing a gun outside my home.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:03:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Full mag inserted, empty chamber. If something comes up, just gotta rip the charging handle back and she's ready to go.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:12:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Mine lives on the bed-side table with a full mag. Ready to rack and run.

On the topic of unintentional discharges, i've heard of accidents caused from a lighter bench-shooting trigger tripping the hammer while the shooter was climbing and jumping around in more of a combat training course.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:26:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That's funny
View Quote

I can't tell for certain the level of snark intended there, but since this is arfcom I have to assume the worst. If you think that's funny because my post was not a useful response, then think for a minute about how useful your response is.  :-)

I was hinting that I think the military primers are hard enough that one shouldn't be too concerned. However, I in fact do not know for certain, and am fishing for anecdotal evidence one way or the other. Obviously, the FP floats and in theory could ignite the primer if impacted hard enough--I've just never heard of it happening myself. I have seen videos of AK's going off when falling though.

I currently keep 28 rounds in the mag with the bolt open. I do know that it is very easy to bump the stock to release the bolt catch. Now that I think about it, it would seem to me that the FP is more likely to slap the primer when the bolt is released than at any other time, because the entire carrier is slamming forward violently under spring pressure. But again, if that were the case we'd have misfires all the time at the range.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:32:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Click, Boom.

Safety Off = Click

Trigger pulled = Boom
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:00:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That's funny
View Quote

I can't tell for certain the level of snark intended there, but since this is arfcom I have to assume the worst. If you think that's funny because my post was not a useful response, then think for a minute about how useful your response is.  :-)

I was hinting that I think the military primers are hard enough that one shouldn't be too concerned. However, I in fact do not know for certain, and am fishing for anecdotal evidence one way or the other. Obviously, the FP floats and in theory could ignite the primer if impacted hard enough--I've just never heard of it happening myself. I have seen videos of AK's going off when falling though.

I currently keep 28 rounds in the mag with the bolt open. I do know that it is very easy to bump the stock to release the bolt catch. Now that I think about it, it would seem to me that the FP is more likely to slap the primer when the bolt is released than at any other time, because the entire carrier is slamming forward violently under spring pressure. But again, if that were the case we'd have misfires all the time at the range.
View Quote

no i don't think it's safe to have bolt open, keep a round in chamber or not can be debated, but open bolt is very dangerous just as you feared, bolt can close very easily and chamber a round when rifle is bumped or dropped and AD is much more likely than closed bolt

imho empty chamber+open bolt is much more risky than round chambered+closed bolt
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:10:17 AM EDT
[#26]
28 rounds in a 30 round mag seated under a closed bolt with an empty chamber. Safety off. Just rack it, and it's ready to go.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:28:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Mag in, bolt closed, empty chamber, safety off...in before the shotgun rackers!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Locked in the safe with empty chamber and loaded mag. My AR is not my primary SD gun but could be in action very quickly.
View Quote
 same here
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

This

In my rifle bag with 3 mags of TAP in a 6-pack bandlier and 3 loose mags of 855
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

The Browning Hi Power in my night stand.  That is to hold me till I get to my closet, if necessary.  There is my tactical 12 gauge semi-auto shotgun with an extended magazine full of Flite Control 00 buckshot, empty chamber, safety off.  My AR is also in that closet, bolt closed on an empty chamber and full magazine in place, but the shotgun is my preference inside the home.  My wife is to seek refuse in that closet with the AR as backup and keep the door closed until she gets an "all clear".
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Same as many others have mentioned, loaded mag, bolt closed, empty chamber safety off.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#33]
My ARs are locked away in the safe. So are my shotguns and other rifles.

The only things I have out are pistols...one for CCW and one for HD. Not that I think the AR is a bad HD weapon (or a shotty for that matter), but I am simply more proficient with the pistols - defensive classes taken and many more rounds down range. I would prefer my muscle memory to be rock solid during an adrenaline-fueled middle of the night wake up call. That and there's no situation I could see shooting more than 15-20 yards.

That being said - for a couple of days when they announced not charging Darrel Wilson I carried my SBR and I think ten rifle mags around in my car plus a bunch of extra pistol mags. Just in case.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
very oiled up, ammod up, chambered,  with many many mags right next to it. and then some of this and some of that.
I wish we didn't have to, but we do.
View Quote

Where do you live that it's needed?

Not doubting just curious as to where to not go.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:44:29 PM EDT
[#35]
100 round Beta-C mag loaded, one in the chamber, safety off, keep it under the blanket in my daughters crib cuz the popo aint going to looks in there!

I also did that lighten your trigger in 5 minutes at no charge mod... OH wow! It's practically like full auto now. Even if I take my finger off the trigger, it fires til the mags dry!

Reference! ;)

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

years ago i started keeping everything loaded safety on (if applicable)

It simplifies everything.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#38]
At home I wear my 5.56 Keltec PLR16 around my neck on a single-point...bolt closed, 19 rounds in the 20 round pmag.  I like the single-point as I can push the gun over to either side while eating my frosted flakes or brushing my teeth.  Nothing gunks up a gun worse than Colgate toothpaste dripping off your chin and into the non-covered bolt area of a PLR.   But seriously, in and around the house, my AR's are in the safe while the 20ga pump in a "youth" size is tucked behind a chest-of-drawers loaded with #4 Nitro Express.  And that PLR?...stuffed in a suitable, handy, hiding space for easy quick access.  You know...I bought that PLR almost as a joke.  However, after shooting and living with it for awhile...and figuring out that a Bushnell TRS25 red dot was ideal on the top rail...I found this to be potentially a very effective home defense weapon.  Oh...and the condition of the two AR's in the safe with a quick access feature...both have nearly full mags...bolts closed...safety off.  All my guns have at least ammo in the mags, tubes, or whatever.  So, when I pick up a gun in my house, I assume all are fully loaded with one in the chamber.  That way you assume the worst...or best...depending on how you look at it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

This

Joe
View Quote

Me as well....
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Since it doesn't have fire pin block, so I figure it's not safe to keep a round in the chamber
stop, then safety on

View Quote

Mag loaded, chamber empty, safety off.  Standard for me w/ long guns.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

When you have children it's better to be on the safe side.

Any HD weapon in my house has a full mag, empty chamber with loaded mags in close proximity to said weapon.

All that one has to do is rack slide/pull charging handle, about 2sec, and you are in business.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

This

Quoted:

View Quote

And definitely not this... can't wait to hear the explantation of why it is "irresponsible"  

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
stop, then safety on

View Quote

You do know that when you pull and release the charging handle to chamber a round, the firing pin hits the primer hard enough to dent it, right? There is a much bigger chance of the round going off when you let go of the charging handle than there is when it's already loaded and the pin can float.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know what you mean.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
stop, then safety on

View Quote

You do know that when you pull and release the charging handle to chamber a round, the firing pin hits the primer hard enough to dent it, right? There is a much bigger chance of the round going off when you let go of the charging handle than there is when it's already loaded and the pin can float.
View Quote

i don't think so, when BCG moves forward, the round moves with the BCG with same speed, so what hits the primer is the relative speed of firing pin minus BCG speed, that's usually much less (if it's even greater than 0) than what hits the primer when BCG/round is stationary in closed bolt case

in other words, when you chamber a round, the primer is running away from the firing pin, which makes the hit less hard than when bullet/primer is stationary
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
stop, then safety on

View Quote

View Quote

i don't think so, when BCG moves forward, the round moves with the BCG with same speed, so what hits the primer is the relative speed of firing pin minus BCG speed, that's usually much less (if it's even greater than 0) than what hits the primer when BCG/round is stationary in closed bolt case

in other words, when you chamber a round, the primer is running away from the firing pin, which makes the hit less hard than when bullet/primer is stationary
View Quote

Take a look at a chambered round, the primer has a significant dent in it. Try riding the bolt closed without letting it slam home and then shake the rifle around, the firing pin won't put any kind of mark on the primer
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
stop, then safety on

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Take a look at a chambered round, the primer has a significant dent in it. Try riding the bolt closed without letting it slam home and then shake the rifle around, the firing pin won't put any kind of mark on the primer
View Quote

shaking won't do it, what about drop the rifle muzzle down, i think it will make a bigger dent (or even AD) than when chambering (don't try that at home or even in range, dangerous)
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
cocked locked and ready to rock
View Quote

Me too,with a stack of mags nearby.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
stop, then safety on

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

I assume the FP would be pushed back as the bolt slams forward, and then when the bolt comes to a sudden stop the FP slams forward onto the chambered cartridge. Still, if there were a chance of this causing the primer to blow we'd have tons of reports of misfires at the gun range of from military guys. I always load my mags with the bolt locked open (especially after reloading a new mag at the range), and then release the bolt.

I'm fairly certain that all standard ammo has hard enough primers (I.e CCI #41) that the issue is mute. If you load you lr own ammo with cheap SRP's, then you better be more cautious though. Glad to here others thoughts/experiences though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top