Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/21/2014 4:56:48 PM EDT
Even with how many times I have watched that show now, watching the very ending still gives me a serious case of the feels

Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. There would never be another. It changed the future, and it changed us.

It taught us that we had to create the future, or others will do it for us. It showed us that we have to care for each other – because if we don't, who will? And that strength sometimes comes from the most unlikely of places.

Mostly, though, I think it gave us hope that there can always be new beginnings, even for people like us.

As for Delenn.... Every morning for as long as she lived, Delenn got up before dawn and watched the sun come up.

I cry whenever I see that after going through the entire series

Best.Show.Ever!

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#1]
OPNI
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:05:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Babylon 5 was absolutely first rate, the writing and story continuity throughout the series made it my favorite Sci-Fi series, and you're right Pony, that final episode is a killer, so well done...

They were the best, and they knew it...

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I own all the seasons.  Movies too.  Good stuff.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Never really watched much of it (snippets here or there). I liked Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, (some) Star Trek, (some) Stargate. Is this worth my time?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never really watched much of it (snippets here or there). I liked Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, (some) Star Trek, (some) Stargate. Is this worth my time?
View Quote

Heck yeah
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Absolutely!  It was always my favorite, I've got a view list so you can see it in the proper order:

1. Watch the B5 movie "The Gathering"
The Babylon 5 pilot movie The Gathering was originally broadcast in 1993 a full year ahead of the regular show.

2. Season 1

3. Season 2

4. Season 3

5. Watch Season 4 up thru episode "The illusion of truth"

6. Watch the B5 movie "Thirdspace"

7. Season 4: continue with episodes 9-22

8. Watch Season 5 up thru episode "Objects at Rest"

9. Watch the B5 movie "River of Souls"

10. Watch the B5 movie "In the Beginning"
This is a prelude set 10 years before Babylon 5. Against the logic of the title, see it at this stage. Should one see it before Season 1, much of the suspense in the main series would be ruined.

11. Watch the B5 movie "A Call to Arms"
This movie lays the groundwork for the spin-off TV series "Crusade".

12. Season 5: watch final episode "Sleeping in light"

Enjoy...

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

YES.

Ignore the shitty CGI, though the last season is a bit screwy because of the broadcasters screwing around with picking up and dropping the show.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Might I add a fuck you to TNT, and a fuck you to WB to this thread?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I never got to see much of it growing up.  But like 6 years ago I picked up all 5 seasons on DVD.  It was an amazing show.  I thought I read somewhere that there is talk of a reboot.  With Bruce Boxleitner playing the president.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I never got to see much of it growing up.  But like 6 years ago I picked up all 5 seasons on DVD.  It was an amazing show.  I thought I read somewhere that there is talk of a reboot.  With Bruce Boxleitner playing the president.
View Quote

There was a B5 panel discussion at a recent DragonCon, which included some of the authors who had worked on the show.  One of them had written the Book of G'Quon for publication as a bit of series merchandise, but it was cancelled.

As far as a reboot goes, that's very likely off the table, as JMS has insisted on control of any such reboot, and anybody who's able to fund such a thing has wanted the control - and to make it a crappy and cheap reboot at that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Absolutely!  It was always my favorite, I've got a view list so you can see it in the proper order:

The Babylon 5 pilot movie The Gathering was originally broadcast in 1993 a full year ahead of the regular show.

2. Season 1

3. Season 2

4. Season 3

This is a prelude set 10 years before Babylon 5. Against the logic of the title, see it at this stage. Should one see it before Season 1, much of the suspense in the main series would be ruined.

Enjoy...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2. Season 1

3. Season 2

4. Season 3

Enjoy...

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I saved the last episode on VHS. Haven't touched it in over a decade. Now I want to see it again.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
[div style='text-align: left;']

YES.

Ignore the shitty CGI, though the last season is a bit screwy because of the broadcasters screwing around with picking up and dropping the show.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[div style='text-align: left;']
Quoted:

YES.

Shitty cgi? No.

At the time it was amazing. I think it still holds up quite well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I watched all of those. B5 is the only series I own, and I'm not a scifi geek.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

As for Delenn.... Every morning for as long as she lived, Delenn got up before dawn and watched the sun come up.[/span][/span]

View Quote

Yeah, that scene on the bench gets me.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2. Season 1

3. Season 2

4. Season 3

Enjoy...

Just to warn you season 1 is a struggle, stick with it for the glory that is seasons 2-4
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#17]
BEST SHOW EVER

Sorry, forgot caps lock on because Illustrator, but I'm leaving it because it's apropos.

I love that show.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Would be nice if they would remaster it for a Blu-ray release but that's never going to happen.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#19]
You motherfucker. I just cried again watching that.

I just stepped into the mind of a ship's crew, watching their home sink under the waves...

Yeah, probably the best scifi TV series ever.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#20]
jeez, I got some dust or something in my eye now.  Watched that show religiously with my dad when I was younger, and watched the whole thing through again with my wife not too long ago.  It gets better every time.  You can really tell the difference in a show where they started out with an ending in mind, versus the ones that have no idea where they are going coughLOSTcough.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#21]
BSG, Star Trek (all series), Star Wars, Lost in Space, My Favorite Martian > Fagalong 5.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Even with how many times I have watched that show now, watching the very ending still gives me a serious case of the feels

http://youtu.be/znNciln7qwY

Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. There would never be another. It changed the future, and it changed us.

It taught us that we had to create the future, or others will do it for us. It showed us that we have to care for each other – because if we don't, who will? And that strength sometimes comes from the most unlikely of places.

Mostly, though, I think it gave us hope that there can always be new beginnings, even for people like us.

As for Delenn.... Every morning for as long as she lived, Delenn got up before dawn and watched the sun come up.

I cry whenever I see that after going through the entire series

Best.Show.Ever!

View Quote

Nice.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
BSG, Star Trek (all series), Star Wars, Lost in Space, My Favorite Martian > Fagalong 5.
View Quote

Troll is troll. Plus ignant.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

You actually took time out of your day ... to fail so hard.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#25]
B5 is boring crap.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
B5 is boring crap.

View Quote

How can you even say that?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
B5 is boring crap.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Different strokes for different folks. I liked the long-form storytelling and the originality of the show. It is an extremely rare show that can get me to care as much for the characters as much as I did for B5.

Others may not like it. I get that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
B5 is boring crap.

Because it's true.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Good show, one of the few that really had an ending
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm not sure I ever watched a full episode, bits and pieces, just never grabbed me.

What is Jerry Doyle doing now?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#32]
A lot of people don't like B5 styles where a previous episode from another season affects the characters in the current episode.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm not sure I ever watched a full episode, bits and pieces, just never grabbed me.

View Quote

He retired and lives on Mars. Married Alise and had a kid.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No seriously, didn't he have a conservative radio talk show going?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://tunein.com/radio/The-Jerry-Doyle-Show-p43223/
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This! Really enjoyed his(Neil Bortz) show!!!!!!!! Fuckin liberals here move it too some weird hour.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

He is a conservative talk show host.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thought you meant in the show.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Bab 5 was awesome. I remember watching the pilot when it aired and thinking, "This is unwatchable." It was the dialog and the acting and cheesy digital effects (which were identifiable as cheesy even then--models looked 100 times better).

Fast forward to years later and a ton of my friends were always talking about how awesome it is. I forced myself to watch at least the first season, and I ended up getting into it. By the time Season 3 came around, I was absolutely riveted. Great story, great storytelling, great characters, great setting, and one of those shows that just feels big.

I only wish that the network had not screwed the pooch by telling JMS that he had to wrap up in four seasons, then coming back and telling him he had been approved for Season 5 after all. My only beef with that series is that the end of the Shadow War was too contrived and came about too easily, which is of course explained by having to cram the final two seasons' worth of story into one season. Season 5 was not as awesome, but still very good considering they essentially had to come up with a whole new, 1-season story to tell thanks to the aforementioned pooch screwing.

Great stuff.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

See my post above. I hated it the first time I saw it.

Give it time. It's worth it.

Quoted:
B5 is boring crap.

Your opinion is incorrect. B5 is amazing.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Different strokes for different folks. I liked the long-form storytelling and the originality of the show. It is an extremely rare show that can get me to care as much for the characters as much as I did for B5.

Others may not like it. I get that.
View Quote

Absolutely, it was the writing, the character development, the progression of a defined story, and attention to all the little details that make Babylon 5 so unique... If you watch the clip of 'Sleeping in Light' that Pony posted, the technician who's powering down the station is Babylon 5's creator, J. Michael Straczynski, seems poetic...

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#43]
It's sad how many of the main actors from that series have passed away.

Andreas Katsulas (G'Kar)

Richard Biggs (Dr. Stephen Franklin)

Michael O'Hare (Jeffrey Sinclair - Valen)

Jeff Conaway (Zach)

Tim Choate (Zathras)

Robin Sachs (Minbari Warrior)

There's an online campaign to try to get a network interested in rebroadcasting the series.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Loved that show. Loved it

Remember watching the gathering and being blown away.

Star fury FTMFW
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Great show.   Own them all and should watch them again for sure!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It's sad how many of the main actors from that series have passed away.
Andreas Katsulas (G'Kar)
Richard Biggs (Dr. Stephen Franklin)
Michael O'Hare (Jeffrey Sinclair - Valen)
Jeff Conaway (Zach)
Tim Choate (Zathras)
Robin Sachs (Minbari Warrior)
There's an online campaign to try to get a network interested in rebroadcasting the series.
View Quote

Zathras died too!??!

There was a judge running in the last election named Zahra. Close enough - I would quote Zathras whenever his commercials would come on. "Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Very sad life. Probably have... very sad death. But... at least there is Symmetry."
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#47]

Because guys with brooms on their heads are so full of win!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Now go find and watch the series Crusade

It sucks but it is in the same universe.  Ditto all the follow on movies and prequels.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

2. Season 1

3. Season 2

4. Season 3

Enjoy...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2. Season 1

3. Season 2

4. Season 3

Enjoy...

Thanks for that! Been meaning to check it out, just didn't know where to start.

I was checking out Amazon to see what kind of damage Arf was going to do to my bank account this time and noticed two other movies, The Lost Tales and The Legend of the Rangers.
Where do they fall in the viewing order? Or was their exclusion a hint to not watch them?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#50]
I tried to watch it.    Really didn't give it a chance, tho.   I don't even know if I made it thru the first episode.  

I've watched Farscape (and if I remember, the first few episodes were kinda tough to get thru) and the new Battlestar Galactica, and I really liked them both.

Might have to give B5 another chance.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top