Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 10/25/2014 9:48:17 AM EDT
I had a very serious knee injury playing high school football (1977) and had to have reconstructive surgery on my right knee.  Besides the pain in my knee it would and still does swell with exercise if I do not wear my brace.  Since then I have had several procedures on the same knee.

I talked to the Army recruiter in 1978 and he told me it was a waste of time to take my physical because I would be denied.  Decided to go see the Air Force recruiter thinking the requirements might not be as tough and was told the same exact thing.

Wanted to be an Army Ranger all of my life.  I am now 55 years old and it is the biggest regret of my life that I did not have a chance to pursue my dream and serve my country.  I have a successful career and great family but after all these years it still bothers me.  Does anybody else regret not serving or being able to serve?  For those that did serve, would you do it again?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Did it bother you more after 9/11?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did it bother you more after 9/11?
View Quote

Yes, very much so.  It made me feel like I did not do my part.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I was a tanker from 84-87

Dumbest thing I ever did was get out.

I tried to sign back up in 90 pre desert storm but  I wasn't gonna be some schmuck remf , I told them send me back to a tank unit deploying and I would sign up.

They said no go on that, and like a dumbass I didn't reenlist. Should have done it anyway .

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I wish I had picked a different branch.

People see CBRN and think I am a nurse.. I wish.

I also have not deployed which I regret.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I see CBRN and think, what the fuck is that ?

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#6]
You had a successful career and raised a great family, that's better then a large portion of society that let their spawn run wild and mooched off society their entire life. What's wrong with that?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I would do it again in a minute. As the years go by I seem to have forgotten all the bad stuff and only remember the good.

By bad I mean missing family and living in a gun turret for a year.....eating MREs 3 meals a day for months, no showers etc.

I got out 22 years ago.

ETA: You should have no regrets OP. It's not like you were a deserter, you had a valid medical reason to not serve. You should see the shitbirds who join and then pretend to be sick or injured to get out of serving.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:13:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's some nursing specialty.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You had a successful career and raised a great family, that's better then a large portion of society that let their spawn run wild and mooched off society their entire life. What's wrong with that?
View Quote

You are 100% correct.  I have had a wonderful life, got married in 1979 to my wife and we are still going strong after all these years.  My son was born a year later.  I guess the military was just not meant to be for me but I still think of it often.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#10]
My biggest regret?  Not enlisting on 9/12/2001.  I heard the call, and I didn't listen.  

Rev_Jason
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#11]
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way"

Whether I wanted to stay or go changed daily.  I miss it, but I don't.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way"

Whether I wanted to stay or go changed daily.  I miss it, but I don't.  
View Quote

Very true.  I did eight and got out to put roots down for my family.  My brothers staring at his third deployment and now his oldest knows what's going on.  He left for NTC yesterday and she told him she hates him and the Army.  My SIL will have all three kids far away from family.  He called me contemplating getting out when he gets back.  It's not all it's cracked up to be in the long run, especially when it starts taking a toll at home.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had a very serious knee injury playing high school football (1977) and had to have reconstructive surgery on my right knee.  Besides the pain in my knee it would and still does swell with exercise if I do not wear my brace.  Since then I have had several procedures on the same knee.

I talked to the Army recruiter in 1978 and he told me it was a waste of time to take my physical because I would be denied.  Decided to go see the Air Force recruiter thinking the requirements might not be as tough and was told the same exact thing.

Wanted to be an Army Ranger all of my life.  I am now 55 years old and it is the biggest regret of my life that I did not have a chance to pursue my dream and serve my country.  I have a successful career and great family but after all these years it still bothers me.  Does anybody else regret not serving or being able to serve?  For those that did serve, would you do it again?
View Quote

Could be worse....you could "serve" and not serve.

I've been in 14 years, and never deployed during the war(s) due to being in special duties or units that were coded not to deploy. I'll be finally going to AFG this spring (only because I got accepted to take a deployment outside my career field in a internal unit deployment that they couldn't otherwise fill). But since the war officially "ends" this December, I'll have never deployed in support of the war(s). My younger brothers both joined the Army years after I did and went to Iraq......

I'll never shake the feeling I didn't do my part. Shit keeps me up at night.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:41:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I used to regret not joining the Armed Forces, right up until Obama got elected.

Now that he sent troops to Africa, to contract Ebola, in order to advance his world view, while ignoring ISIS; I have no doubts I made the right decision.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've been in 14 years, and never deployed during the war(s) due to being in special duties or units that were coded not to deploy. I'll be finally going to AFG this spring (only because I got accepted to take a deployment outside my career field in a internal unit deployment that they couldn't fill. But since the war officially "ends" this December, I'll have never deployed in support of the war(s). My younger brothers both joined the Army and went to Iraq......

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been in 14 years, and never deployed during the war(s) due to being in special duties or units that were coded not to deploy. I'll be finally going to AFG this spring (only because I got accepted to take a deployment outside my career field in a internal unit deployment that they couldn't fill. But since the war officially "ends" this December, I'll have never deployed in support of the war(s). My younger brothers both joined the Army and went to Iraq......

It doesn't matter.  Raising your hand knowing you may have to shed blood for your country is the most honorable part of military service.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Don't sweat it - you can't live with regret.

I joined the Navy to be a Mineman - an underwater EOD technican if you will, but during week 7 of boot camp they called me to medical and basically said "ummm... you're color blind. You can't be a mineman".  I was crushed.  I wanted to jump the fence and pull a Cory Hnnnnnng, but I wanted to serve my country more than be selfish.  They let me pick from the ENTIRE job list in the Navy only about 4 jobs.  I said fuck it, I'll choose the least shitty job on this list.  I hated being stationed on Andrews AFB as a Sailor, but I happened to meet my wife there.  She is the most amazing woman I've ever met.  If I'm a 7 out of 10, she's a solid 10/10.  I've gotten "that's your wife?" before.  

Been married 14 years and have two great kids.  Before I met her and was pissed I didn't get stationed on the Gulf in Texas.  Life is life.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I know how you feel.

I injured my back in a car crash at 16 and was medically disqualified from enlistment. It was and is, still hard seeing all my peers go off to fight my generations war, knowing I'll never share the honor.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I've been in 14 years, and never deployed during the war(s) due to being in special duties or units that were coded not to deploy. I'll be finally going to AFG this spring (only because I got accepted to take a deployment outside my career field in a internal unit deployment that they couldn't otherwise fill). But since the war officially "ends" this December, I'll have never deployed in support of the war(s). My younger brothers both joined the Army years after I did and went to Iraq......

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You did your part and should be very proud of that.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#21]
You really should regret throwing away your health and life goals playing children's games.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I was in the Army 1989-2005 and while I loved what I'd did and some of the best people you will ever meet in your life I knew it wasn't a career for me. I vowed I would never have a family while I was in as I felt it would not be fair to them.

You wanted to serve, you tried and you should not feel bad about an injury preventing you from doing it. I always hated that I never got deployed, missed desert storm as the Army "needed" me in Korea instead.

I always felt like it was like training for a marathon and never getting a chance to run the race
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I played "army" as a kid everyday all day and night growing up. Had all the cool gear
My favorite thing was going to the army/navy store
I dreamed of becoming a Marine as my dad had been a Marine sergeant
We always greeted each other with a salute

Then when I reached 11, I started to experience horrible, stabbing back pains
X-rays showed my spine wasn't fused and had to go through the humiliating experience of wearing a back brace for a time
The doctor said I was lucky and that I would never have to go into the military

So I never even tried to enlist

Every job I've had that I've had that required a physical/x-ray it always showed up
They'd say "did you know that your spine isn't fused together at so and so place?"
I always lied and said "No, I didn't know that. I've never had pain" Always seemed to get hired though
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

White missions.

I understand.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#25]
I was going to join...but they said I was too tall.

It's ok though...I would have definitely punched a drill sergeant in the face for yelling at me.

You can't just "Control" me like that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It's ok though...I would have definitely punched a drill sergeant in the face for yelling at me.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You really should regret throwing away your health and life goals playing children's games.
View Quote

There is some truth to this statement but at 17 years old you are not usually thinking about long range health plans.  I was more interested in wearing my jersey to class on Friday's and hearing my name for a tackle on the loud speaker.  If I had known it would change my life forever I may have reconsidered.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#29]
I wish I would have went straight into the guard with no active duty time.

I didn't get started on my "career" until I was almost 30.

I don't regret any part of my military time, but if I had a do over, I would have developed my civilian career as a primary effort from the outset and scratched my military itch via the guard.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#30]
God puts you where you're needed.  Don't fret over it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Dude things happen for a reason. You just weren't meant to be a military man. No problem.

My regret was that while I qualified for nuke school when I was 18 and didn't join, then when I did I qualified for OCS and I didn't. What I did get was the career I currently have as a civilian.

Things happen for a reason, your path was to do what you are doing. Don't sweat it. Support those who do and get your training from civilian instructors.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#33]
OP.  Thank you for the support you have provided to our Armed Forces.  Without citizens like you, we would have no reason for being.  You have provided the resources we need to execute our tasks and your simple desire to have 'done more' - irregardless of injury - shows your true patriotism.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:12:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I served USN after 9/11

Started basic on my 25th birthday. March of 2002.

I don't regret serving, I regret HOW I served. I was a CTI and requested to go downrange several times and never got selected. That bothers me, joined smack dab in the middle of a shooting war and I couldn't get OCONUS.

Spent all my time in Texas in a shore billet. Hate that. Don't get me wrong - loved the people, I was DAMNED good at my job (prob why I couldn't deploy) but hated the role I played.

Were I to do it over again I would have been either a Sea-Bee (grandfather was one, wounded - Korea) or I'd have simply gone Marine grunt.

My biggest regret isn't even my ex-wife but my rate.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tank?

Sarcasm?

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Meh, doesn't qualify as a regret if it's something you had no control over.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

We're the same age, I was born with hearing loss in the mid-range, all the recruiters said the same thing (Sorry, but your hearing loss is an issue with us, but Good Luck ).
I can't blame them, and I never held a grudge.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Tank?

Sarcasm?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tank?

Sarcasm?

The man ain't going to hold me down, no how, no way.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:17:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Like jus t about every kid growing up in the 80's, Top Gun convinced me that my calling in life was to be a fighter pilot.  When I was 16 I found out my eyesight wasn't 20-20, so gave up on that dream and focused on sports.  Went to college to play football and earned an engineering degree and started my career.  Got married, had a family, etc.   No regrets there, but I do sometimes wonder what it would have been like to have the honor of serving my country.  The closest I can do now is to honor and support those that did answer the call to serve.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#41]
The grass is always greener on the other side... the far side.

How one can dream of being the man, being there while the man being there just dreams not being there...

Dr Seuss all up in this.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#42]
The grass is always greener. Lots of other ways to serve your country besides the military route. The man who wastes his time regretting is a sad one - and really not a man at all
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

Derp

ETA Accidents happen playing sports, it's not like he set out to get injured

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#44]
My only true regret in life is going guard instead of active. Active would've kept me
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

...can't tell if you're serious...

If so, you most likely wouldn't. Trust me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm living the affirmative action military dream right now. As a matter of fact, I gotta go into work today and do online SHARP training. That is what you are missing.

I've been spending a lot of time wondering what Im missing on the civilian side. One thing I won't miss is moving every 2-3 years, weird hours, and never seeing family.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#48]
I know how you feel, screwed up my left knee in 70 playing HS football, couple years later denied a chance to serve because I took the physical and exams and was told knee would keep me out. Went on to work construction for about 14 years and when the knee finally failed completely  got into education. I have always regretted the one play that ruined the knee.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Derp
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Derp

ETA Accidents happen playing sports, it's not like he set out to get injured

People who have never played sports don't understand that sports can be a metaphor for life and can teach you the lessons that hard work and team work pay off.

Being exposed to competition through sports is good for a young man's development.

Life is risk and is also unfair.

OP learned this the hard way.

Still a valid lesson learned via sport.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#50]
It was an honor for me to serve the Republic in war and peace. I would do it again. I do not think ill of those who have not served in the military.

I do dislike hearing about how folks "almost joined" or try to show me up through a relatives service.

Joe: "Miles you were in the Marine Corps Infantry?"

Me: "Yes"

Joe: "I was going to join the Marines" or  "My Uncle was in Delta Force" .
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top