Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/4/2014 5:29:11 PM EDT
I use this http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-FD-80A-Square-Shaped-Dehydrator-Frustration-Free/dp/B0090WOCM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412457663&sr=8-1&keywords=Nesco+FD-80A

London Broil sliced about 3/16th to 1/4th inch , marinade overnite in favorite goop , then wait 6 to 10 hours.  

this batch is Hickory/Brown Sugar with a few sprinkled BBQ spices. I did 3 pounds , might get 24oz when done.

2.5 hours so far

i'll post pics when they are done  , gonna be a while.

Finished now , so tasty!  

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Since I've never made jerkey or looked into it, do you not cook it first?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#2]
your'e doing it wrong op

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since I've never made jerkey or looked into it, do you not cook it first?
View Quote

nope !  goes in RAW uncooked. I do add a good bit of salt and sugar and other spices though . Kinda freaked me out the 1st time i made it being that its raw meat , but its `10 time better than store bought beef jerky.  

this guy uses one , turns out great .

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like snake meat, OP.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got the same dehydrator.  Works like a champ.  I've made a shit ton of jerky with it in the few months I've had it.

I'm due for a batch.  Mmmmmmm.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Only 3 pounds?

That would be a waste of time in my house. My wife likes to sneak pieces right off the dehydrator... I usually lose a pound or two from each batch due to the extensive quality control testing she insists upon.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#7]
all done now

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks good op. I don't make jerky as often as I should
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks great. Now where the hell did I put the dehydrator?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#10]
That looks yummy op. I got my daughter a dehydrator a couple of years ago like yours. She loves it. Coincidentally she made a batch this week also. My dehydrator is at least 30 years old. It's still working right along though.

Venison makes real good jerky. Thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:16:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks good OP.

But 1/4" thick beef jerky?  I guess I just prefer mine a bit thinner.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Making jerky is awesome though I've switched to making beefsticks from ground beef because it's a lot less expensive and you don't have to marinade the meat. For now I'm using an Excalibur 3926 dehydrator (holds 9 square feet of product) which is incredibly efficient (blows the hot air across the trays instead up from below them) so I don't have to move the trays around like the stacked dehydrators. A good smoker is on my list for next year.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#13]
The fuck is this hippie shit?

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
Dried meat is not "hippie shit" -  fruit leather is "hippie shit".

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

You're new around here aren't you?

We love our cured meats, smoked meats, and grilled meats.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Poop thread
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Making jerky is awesome though I've switched to making beefsticks from ground beef because it's a lot less expensive and you don't have to marinade the meat. For now I'm using an Excalibur 3926 dehydrator (holds 9 square feet of product) which is incredibly efficient (blows the hot air across the trays instead up from below them) so I don't have to move the trays around like the stacked dehydrators. A good smoker is on my list for next year.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g479/Matt_B-1967/beef_sticks_zps836e9733.jpg

View Quote

You can't just leave us hanging. How do you do it?

I have the same dehydrator.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g479/Matt_B-1967/beef_sticks_zps836e9733.jpg

no shit

ive tried making sticks, but they never turnout right.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn! that looks great OP! Nice job!

I used to make jerky in my oven and was pretty good at it...even made a dinner pic about the process here one time http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=841527

And it works great but nowadays I use a dehydrator instead like you (I use a 9 tray excalibur) and I always try new recipes. And yours sounds like a great one to try!

Well done sir! (oh and btw...I think london broil was an excellent choice also)
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Great... Arfcom helps me spend MORE money...
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've switched to ground meat now, too.  Much easier, and personally, I prefer the texture and how easy it is to eat.

The dehydrator that OP and I have, does a great job at circulating air evenly.  I've never once had to rotate trays, and I've cooked a shit ton of jerky with it.

Here's a batch of lean ground beef jerky that I made awhile ago.  The Nesco jerky gun is awesome.  Cheap, works like a champ, and has 3 different nozzles; Big strips, little strips and sticks.  Even YouTube reviews say it's better than the $50+ guns elsewhere, like Gander Mountain, etc.  It can be had on eBay for like $20.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've switched to ground meat now, too.  Much easier, and personally, I prefer the texture and how easy it is to eat.

The dehydrator that OP and I have, does a great job at circulating air evenly.  I've never once had to rotate trays, and I've cooked a shit ton of jerky with it.

Here's a batch of lean ground beef jerky that I made awhile ago.  The Nesco jerky gun is awesome.  Cheap, works like a champ, and has 3 different nozzles; Big strips, little strips and sticks.  Even YouTube reviews say it's better than the $50+ guns elsewhere, like Gander Mountain, etc.  It can be had on eBay for like $20.

http://i.imgur.com/iuKGo8Y.jpg?1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just put the ground beef in the gun and squeeze it out and it stays together?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
http://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/924-931-944-951-968-forum/569288d1317072815-fs-stock-944-turbo-intercooler-ban-him.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/924-931-944-951-968-forum/569288d1317072815-fs-stock-944-turbo-intercooler-ban-him.jpg

Key word there is smoked...
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You just put the ground beef in the gun and squeeze it out and it stays together?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Toss your mixture of seasoning into the ground meat, mix it up good, fill the gun up, squeeze out strips, break off when you've got the size you want, repeat until meat is gone. I think my gun holds 1/2lb or 1lb.  I can't remember.  

Search something like "Nesco jerky gun" on YouTube to see how it works.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#25]

This

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was a big deal. :)

I get 4-5 lbs. of 96/4 ground beef (or 97/3, the leaner the better) to which I add LEM Backwood Original Jerky Seasoning and some cure (nitrates). I've tried LEM's Teriyaki and Jalapeno seasonings but they weren't very good IMHO. Then I use the LEM Jerky Cannon with its stick nozzle to lay out the sticks on a tray. I end up with about twelve 12" sticks per tray. After that I let the dehydrator run for 4 hours and once the timer goes off they're done. I cut each stick into rough quarters so they last a little longer. I've let dozens of people try them and every single once of them loves 'em. It's not like it's my recipe but it's consistent and anyone can do it.

Speaking of consistent, I've found that the most important thing when making jerky or beefsticks is consistent thickness of meat be it slices or sticks. This is important because it means that the meat will dry evenly and have a consistent texture.

I've checked the weight of the meat after dehydrating and it typically loses about 70-75%. After the cost of equipment is amortized the sticks I make cost about 66% less than store bought sticks and they are substantially lower in fat. As an example, Slim Jim's have 25 grams of fat per serving (56 grams) whereas my "Fat Matt's" are only 1.975 fat grams for the same serving size.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
The LEM seasoning I use has something in it that gets a little stick as you mix it in the meat so the sticks (when raw and cooked) stay together very well.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Is there a good way to make it without buying a 75 dollar dehydrator?   Or does the dehydrator really save 75 or more dollars'-worth of hassle?

I seem to recall Alton Brown made some with a box fan and house AC filter, but I dunno if I really trust that...
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#29]
does dehydration kill tape worms?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Is there a good way to make it without buying a 75 dollar dehydrator?   Or does the dehydrator really save 75 or more dollars'-worth of hassle?

View Quote
$75 for a dehydrator is cheap. You should see what the Excalibur costs.

All the dehydrator does is run at low temps (95-155 degrees) and a fan blows the hot air over the product. It's not complicated at all.

Gander Mountain offers a 5 tray dehydrator for $150 that looks decent.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#31]
The Nesco dehydrator is the bomb! You can also buy extra trays which I highly recommend. I've been making beef jerky for about three years now on it.  Most butchers use top round and can pre-slice it for you which save you a ton of time.

I usually do two batches one that is hot and one that is like a sweet Asian.  Dales meat marinade is awesome.

Most of the time I prep it and then turn the dehydrator on about nine at night. Previously I would set my clock alarm for 3 AM and take it off. Now I use a Walmart $10 Christmas light timer and it will go off automatically after Whatever I set it at usually between six and nine hours,

For those of you that have never done it it is a excellent and little work.  
I will usually mail my nieces and nephews and neices bag and they love it!
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#32]
The Nesco dehydrator is the bomb! You can also buy extra trays which I highly recommend. I've been making beef jerky for about three years now on it.  Most butchers use top round and can pre-slice it for you which save you a ton of time.

I usually do two batches one that is hot and one that is like a sweet Asian.  Dales meat marinade is awesome.

Most of the time I prep it and then turn the dehydrator on about nine at night. Previously I would set my clock alarm for 3 AM and take it off. Now I use a Walmart $10 Christmas light timer and it will go off automatically after Whatever I set it at usually between six and nine hours,

For those of you that have never done it it is a excellent and little work.  
I will usually mail my nieces and nephews and neices bag and they love it!
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#33]
what i did in this case was marinade sliced London Broil for several hours in favorite marinade , then into the dehydrator for 5 hours on 160F , then after 5 hours i take it out and dump it all in big zip lock bag with about 1/2 cup of my fav sauce like sweet baby rays and some spices and shake it up so its all got a nice thin coating as all the peices are semi stiff . then it all goes back in the dehydrator till done for about 3 to 7 hours on a lower temp like 105 . this makes a nice flavored glaze and makes the spices stick and somewhat more tender, that's why mine looks shiny .
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Most of the time I prep it and then turn the dehydrator on about nine at night. Previously I would set my clock alarm for 3 AM and take it off.

View Quote
6 hours? If I ran jerky in the Excalibur for that long it would be inedible. I typically run a batch of jerky for 3-3.5 hours tops. I was hand slicing the strips to around 1/8" thickness.

That's one thing I found that makes some dehydrators cost more or less than others - efficiency. Different design take more or less time to dehydrate than others. In the end the product is still the same so it comes down to how long you want to wait for it.

Read these pages for more info on choosing a dehydrator:

How to Choose a Food Dehydrator - The Top 4 Factors to Consider

Choosing a Food Dehydrator

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#35]
great info!

I have done jerky for years (in a Nesco dehydrator, mom has an excaliber..all fancy and shit), trying all sorts of marinade, my favorite is simply salt and pepper with lime spritz

now the sticks I have been Leary of, so they actually stay together w/o having to put them into skins?

very cool, thank you
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#36]
"does dehydration kill tape worms?"

Probably,but if it doesn't, then the jerky cure will. Just like eating uncooked bacon,it is safe because of the sodium nitrates & nitrites in the cure.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
"does dehydration kill tape worms?"

Probably,but if it doesn't, then the jerky cure will. Just like eating uncooked bacon,it is safe because of the sodium nitrates & nitrites in the cure.
View Quote

In that case you need to be sure you use the right amount of cure/nitrates.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You guys are giving me WAY too many ideas. I've always made whole muscle beef jerky but I have a buddy that always sends me samples of his ground venison jerky and it is excellent.  He uses a jerky gun and a dehydrator. I don't know about him, but I know I've never attempted beefsticks but now I am super intrigued! Need more info though!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys are giving me WAY too many ideas. I've always made whole muscle beef jerky but I have a buddy that always sends me samples of his ground venison jerky and it is excellent.  He uses a jerky gun and a dehydrator. I don't know about him, but I know I've never attempted beefsticks but now I am super intrigued! Need more info though!

ETA: Not sure how I threw what I wanted to say in the quotes... so here is what I wanted to say

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I seem to recall Alton Brown made some with a box fan and house AC filter, but I dunno if I really trust that...
View Quote

I was just going to post about that.
I've done it a few times.
I followed his directions off the show and it was good to go.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

looks like the video cuts off

here's his dehydrator rig, using it on fruit in this one

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

ETA: Not sure how I threw what I wanted to say in the quotes... so here is what I wanted to say

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, Im hooked on ground meat for jerky now.  Dont see myself cutting up meat into strips anymore, unless I find some lean cuts for extra cheap.

The ground meat also seems to dehydrate quicker than cuts of meat.

If you are really interested, I highly recommend the Nesco gun that is linked to a few posts up.  It comes with seasoning and cure for like 4-5lbs, and attachments to make strips or sticks like Slim Jims.  I ran out of seasoning and want to try making my own, which I havent done with the ground meat yet.  Plenty of recipes online to try, though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Damn, this thread is going to cost me money

I've been reading and researching this for the past hour or so.

I was a little leery about "raw' dehydrated jerky but from what I have read, if done properly, it's not raw.

There are minimum temps/durations required to ensure that any pathogens are killed.

It shouldn't be a problem as long as you can assure that the jerky has reached the minimum temps for a long enough time.

Most of the things I read recommend NOT using a dehydrator that does not have a temp control.

Jerky safety links

Link

link

link

link

link

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#44]
I made a batch of Fat Matt's Beef Sticks today and they are tasty as usual. This time around I added a heaping helping of red pepper flakes to bring on some heat for the chilly October weather we had today.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#45]
does nobody use a vacuum sealer in the marinading process?

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Damn, this thread is going to cost me money

View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
does nobody use a vacuum sealer in the marinading process?

View Quote

Do you use a vacuum sealer with a hard container, or is your vacuum sealer good enough to deal with liquid/juices/marinade?  I had a food saver and it never really did good with the bags if there was any liquid at all.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#48]
you can use the salt cure if you are concerned about microbes and long term storage , I use this http://www.amazon.com/Instacure-Prague-Powder-Cooking-Meats/dp/B001UPRY1W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1412561035&sr=8-2&keywords=Prague+Powder+%231  , very small amounts needed !  then you can store at room temp or longer term , but my jerky rarely lasts more than a few days.  the nesco dehydrator i have does get up to 160 F , but i do like to run it longer and slower at lower temp as this make for a less hard ,dry jerky, and the cure keeps the microbes in check. I'm going to try the ground beef and jerky gun method next week .
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#49]
What do you guys estimate you're paying per pound for finished product?  Obviously it loses a lot of weight due to the dehydration process....just wondering what it'd cost to roll your own after buying a dehydrator vs buying it in a store.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What do you guys estimate you're paying per pound for finished product?  Obviously it loses a lot of weight due to the dehydration process....just wondering what it'd cost to roll your own after buying a dehydrator vs buying it in a store.
View Quote

figured about 40% to 50% water weight loss , so 2lbs of meat will net about 13 to 16 oz of jerky roughly . Depends what deals you can on meat , i paid $7 LB for the london broil . i think with spices,marinades and electric use , ballpark is about about 60 to 90 cents +/- per oz of finished jerky . Still way cheaper than store bought and much better quality
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top