Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Posted: 9/25/2014 1:42:59 AM EDT
Video Link

The video showing a shooting involving a state trooper and an unarmed man has been released to the public by police.

The video was taken from the dash camera installed inside 31-year-old Sean Groubert's vehicle during an encounter in which Groubert shot 35-year-old Levar Jones on September 4th at a Circle K gas station on Broad River Road.

Department of Public Safety Director Leroy Smith fired Groubert on September 19th after observing the video and reviewing a report from the State Law Enforcement Division.

Good firing.  Hoping for jail.  Jesus.  It doesn't get much worse than this.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:45:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I hope he does time.

In before the apologist cavalry arrives.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:47:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Ah, the old ask him for his license and then shoot him when he tries to retrieve it routine.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:48:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:49:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Fucking piece of shit needs about 15 years in prison.

Jesus Christ.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:50:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Stop initiated for a seat belt violation on private property.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:51:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Yikes!  I see what his defense is going to be....but no...
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:54:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Seems pretty obvious the officer thought the guy was reaching for a weapon in the vehicle, however, he did start shooting way before any potential lethal threat was observed. It doesn't seem like this was a high risk enforcement action based on the officer's original request for the license, but I would like to know what the context of the call for service was or the reason for the stop to help paint the whole picture for me.

ETA: Good God, a seat belt violation? Clearly not a suspect in a high profile event or anything like that. Wow, he must have been fresh out of the academy or something.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:55:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seems pretty obvious the officer thought the guy was reaching for a weapon in the vehicle, however, he did start shooting way before any potential lethal threat was observed. It doesn't seem like this was a high risk enforcement action based on the officer's original request for the license, but I would like to know what the context of the call for service was or the reason for the stop to help paint the whole picture for me.
View Quote

States in the video, the reason for the stop was driving without a seat belt (Seat belt violation)t and while on private property.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:56:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Officer said it was a seat belt violation.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:56:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

He pulled up to the gas station with his seatbelt off. He also stated he took it off as he was turning into the lot.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:57:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Holy hell! Luckily officer derp can't shoot for crap!
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:57:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Good firing. Hoping for jail.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:01:10 AM EDT
[#13]
No question it's a bad shoot. What's interesting is that he had been involved in a previous shooting that was clean (was actually taking rounds from the bad guy prior to the shoot). While I expect he'll be convicted, I'll be interested to see how possible PTSD works into this, and what charge he ends up with. THIS is why PTSD in cops is a serious (but generally ignored) issue... it can result in a very bad thing happening to an innocent man.

BTW, for all the basement-dwelling, mouth-breathing cop haters out there, no favoritism was shown in the case, nor was anything covered up. Rule of law in action.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:06:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No question it's a bad shoot. What's interesting is that he had been involved in a previous shooting that was clean (was actually taking rounds from the bad guy prior to the shoot). While I expect he'll be convicted, I'll be interested to see how possible PTSD works into this, and what charge he ends up with. THIS is why PTSD in cops is a serious (but generally ignored) issue... it can result in a very bad thing happening to an innocent man.

BTW, for all the basement-dwelling, mouth-breathing cop haters out there, no favoritism was shown in the case, nor was anything covered up. Rule of law in action.
View Quote

Sounds like the department handled it correctly. But charges need to be filed. I'm no hater of police but that was beyond unacceptable. Only his lack of skill saved that mans life. And PTSD shouldn't even be admissible. Has nothing to do with this incident.

I sincerely hope he goes to prison for many years.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:07:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting information. You are correct that PTSD in police work is often ignored or overlooked.

Not that it in anyway justifies this shooting, but this is a clear example of why you should not do quick, furtive movements when in contact with officers. You might have a jumpy officer like this one. Tell the officer what your doing or reaching for/to so as to help avoid possible tragedy like this case or worse.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:08:07 AM EDT
[#16]
This is what happens when you teach or someone learns tasks rather than goals. The task here (and it was wrong) is to shoot people who make furtive movements. The goal is to use force when necessary against threats.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:18:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Interesting information. You are correct that PTSD in police work is often ignored or overlooked.

Not that it in anyway justifies this shooting, but this is a clear example of why you should not do quick, furtive movements when in contact with officers. You might have a jumpy officer like this one. Tell the officer what your doing or reaching for/to so as to help avoid possible tragedy like this case or worse.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:20:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?! I am supposed to explain my actions as I perform them to satisfy a JBT who demanded my "papers please" while he was making an unwarranted SEAT BELT "violation" stop ON PRIVATE PROPERTY so I don't have to worry about getting shot?!?!

NO.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:21:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I can see how the troop might have felt threatened by the guy abruptly turning and reaching into his car,
however the officer was just too fast on the trigger and fired before the threat was verified.

Pulling someone over for a seat belt violation on private property is bogus. I don't think the officer was justified
at all on this action.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:22:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Egads!

Hope the driver recovers fully.

Trooper Hair Trigger needs to face the music.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:31:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Egads!

View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:32:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Ex-S.C. trooper who shot unarmed man faces charges

COLUMBIA, S.C. — A former South Carolina state trooper who shot an unarmed man was charged Wednesday with assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature.

Sean Groubert, 31, was booked at the Richland County Detention Center. He faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/24/ex-trooper-who-shot-unarmed-man-faces-charges/16178961/
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:32:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Hopefully the State Trooper gets prison time, and sued. Hope the good guy recovers from his wounds.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:37:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Egads!

View Quote

Absolutely.

Very bad shoot and I hope he gets the book thrown at him. Firing should only be the first step

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:44:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Holy fuck that was bad.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:50:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Seriously?! I am supposed to explain my actions as I perform them to satisfy a JBT who demanded my "papers please" while he was making an unwarranted SEAT BELT "violation" stop ON PRIVATE PROPERTY so I don't have to worry about getting shot?!?!

NO.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO.  

Just speaking generally about LEO encounters. Again, I'm not justifying this officers actions, or even the stop itself. It should just be traffic stop 101 not to make sudden movements towards your waist, pockets or inside your vehicle. Justified or not, shot is shot and I'd prefer not to be shot at all.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:53:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Wow...

Hope the jackass gets a stiff sentence.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:57:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Just speaking generally about LEO encounters. Again, I'm not justifying this officers actions, or even the the stop itself. It should just be traffic stop 101 not to make sudden movements towards your waist, pockets or inside your vehicle. Justified or not, shot is shot and I'd prefer not to be shot at all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO.  

Just speaking generally about LEO encounters. Again, I'm not justifying this officers actions, or even the the stop itself. It should just be traffic stop 101 not to make sudden movements towards your waist, pockets or inside your vehicle. Justified or not, shot is shot and I'd prefer not to be shot at all.

This attitude REEKS of "blaming the victim."  Well, that man should have known not to make any furtive / "odd" moves when dealing with a cop. He coulda been dealing with Officer Friendly or Officer Nervous Nellie. Too bad he has Parkinson's and got the short stick with Officer Nervous Nellie.

It should be traffic stop 101 for LEOs to not make bad stops, number one, and then if they do, to NOT SHOOT AN AMERICAN CITIZEN WHO IS IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM A LETHAL THREAT number two. THAT is what should be "traffic stop 101."
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:58:45 AM EDT
[#29]
haha Wow even managed to squeeze one last round off after the guy had his hands up.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:09:05 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

This attitude REEKS of "blaming the victim."  Well, that man should have known not to make any furtive / "odd" moves when dealing with a cop. He coulda been dealing with Officer Friendly or Officer Nervous Nellie. Too bad he has Parkinson's and got the short stick with Officer Nervous Nellie.

It should be traffic stop 101 for LEOs to not make bad stops, number one, and then if they do, to NOT SHOOT AN AMERICAN CITIZEN WHO IS IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM A LETHAL THREAT number two. THAT is what should be "traffic stop 101."
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO.  

Not blaming him. Just pointing out something to learn from. Nothing you posted is incorrect, and it IS traffic stop 101 for 99% of cops as you can tell from the thousands of traffic stops a day that don't end in a shooting. I'm simply pointing out something people can do for self preservation should they be stopped by someone like this trooper.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:11:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Egads!

Yup.

Yes he does, and he's already been arrested on the charges apparently
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:00:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Disturbing, yes. There is so much that was done wrong in that video, it's hard to pic where to start.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:02:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Egads!

View Quote

Pretty much this.  I really hope the driver doesn't have permanent damage from this.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:12:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Just speaking generally about LEO encounters. Again, I'm not justifying this officers actions, or even the stop itself. It should just be traffic stop 101 not to make sudden movements towards your waist, pockets or inside your vehicle. Justified or not, shot is shot and I'd prefer not to be shot at all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO.  

Most people that are not cops don't know shit about police tactics or what cops look for.  The only people that I've seen behave perfectly on traffic stops are other cops.  Everyone else is digging in their pockets, center consoles and glove boxes, unless you tell them not to.  He asked for ID and the guy went for his ID.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:38:47 AM EDT
[#35]
That was a nice display of police professionalism!

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:42:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I hope he does time.

In before the apologist cavalry arrives.
View Quote

It hasnt hit glocktalk coptalk yet but should make for some interesting reading over there
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:04:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Most people that are not cops don't know shit about police tactics or what cops look for.  The only people that I've seen behave perfectly on traffic stops are other cops.  Everyone else is digging in their pockets, center consoles and glove boxes, unless you tell them not to.  He asked for ID and the guy went for his ID.
View Quote

Very true. The average law abiding person doesn't have exposure to that knowledge-base, and many agencies are extremely hesitant in sharing this information with the general public to begin with. Couple that with the average person's expectations regarding how a simple minor traffic offense should be handled.

This incident, along with the video of the older gentleman being shot when he reaches for his cane both show overly-aggressive responses to normal, everyday human behavioral and instinctual reactions. LE agencies need to seriously start looking at the psychological and legal consequences of overly-aggressive enforcement tactics and officer-safety training.

People are getting shot because they don't know any better by officers who are simply being too aggressive. This is not isolated, it is a trend that needs de-escalated.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:07:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Even dash cams are filming vertically now.

Bad shoot etc, etc. everything I'd say has already been said.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:16:55 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

haha Wow even managed to squeeze one last round off after the guy had his hands up.
View Quote

I guess he read the thread on anchor shots.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:23:09 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
States in the video, the reason for the stop was driving without a seat belt (Seat belt violation)t and while on private property.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:35:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

People are getting shot because they don't know any better by officers who are simply being too aggressive. This is not isolated, it is a trend that needs de-escalated.

View Quote

Calm down.  There are tens of thousands of vehicle stops and other police contacts that happen every single day.  Very rarely is any force used, much less deadly force.  And in the overwhelming majority of cases when deadly force is used, it is very easily justified.  This guy fucked up and overreacted, not a trend.  And he will answer for it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:58:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:02:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Lol at the JBT's here saying bad shoot, but PTSD and furtive movement.  It would be interesting to know how many times he has come close to doing this before incident.  So now that he is fired, will he have to pay for his own defense?

Comedy gold.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:07:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Officer doesn't need to go to jail ...
... but damn, he could have accidently killed the nice kid and America doesn't need that right now, what with Obama at the UN or wherever, invoking Ferguson and all.
View Quote

Yes he does Mark. Actions have consequences and the courts agree that "good faith" just doesn't fly in this case.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:17:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Calm down.  There are tens of thousands of vehicle stops and other police contacts that happen every single day.  Very rarely is any force used, much less deadly force.  And in the overwhelming majority of cases when deadly force is used, it is very easily justified.  This guy fucked up and overreacted, not a trend.  And he will answer for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would love to see those statistics posted from a reliable source.  Please provide the data to support your claim.

BTW, love the patronizing way you answered, lol.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:17:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Wow

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:26:51 AM EDT
[#47]
The officer was simply obeying rule #1 in law enforcement.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:32:15 AM EDT
[#48]
It's a wonder he didn't kill several bystanders with that terrible shooting display.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:37:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Hope the cock sucker does years in a prison.

Fucking seat belt pull over and shoots 4 times.

Why do some of us not trust cops?

Prayers to the victim.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:42:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

PTSD......For this shoot....no fucking way. Stop trying to make excuses. This cop simply tried to kill the driver.

PTSD should be taken seriously, but this was an assault.

No cop hate, just BAD cop hate. This is happening way too much.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top