Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/22/2014 5:32:22 PM EDT

Poll inbound.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/22/woman-lives-in-house-eight-years-rent-free/16038393/

ETA: the poll is set up so you can make more than one choice, anyone who makes just one choice on this poll is queer.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#1]
If you don't think she is FSA then why is taking tax dollars (welfare) that you don't deserve ok?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Frei Schiesse Armee > U.S. Army + Marine Corps + Air Force + US Navy + Coast Guard + all of Heimat Sicherheitsdienst.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#3]
FSA
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a issue with "thanking god" that the system hasnt caught up with her
the article plays it out like its a miracle from god she gets to live for free

getting media attention probably wasnt her smartest move
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#5]
The question is, did she save all that rent money all those years so she could eventually buy her own place?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Three TWENTY voters so far are either women or homos.  
View Quote

You aren't going to last long with that attitude.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The question is, did she save all that rent money all those years so she could eventually buy her own place?
View Quote
You and I both know the answer to that is: fuck no she didn't.

FSA does not plan ahead, EVER.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, bad plan getting your "free" house brought up in a story in the local newspaper, let alone a national one.

Her "free" shit is going bye-bye very soon and you'll hear the story of how a poor unfortunate single mother of three was thrown into the street by some evil bank/city/what-have you.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Meh, it was abandoned.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I say good for her.    OR    Who cares?  

If you do, you need more things going on in your life.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#12]
FSA. The deal was she could live there as long as she worked for the company. In 2006 she no longer worked for the company.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#13]
After reading the article, if what was written is the honest truth, I don't consider her a squatter. She moved in as a job perk, company went tits up, nobody told her to leave, and it took 8 years for everything to catch up.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
After reading the article, if what was written is the honest truth, I don't consider her a squatter. She moved in as a job perk, company went tits up, nobody told her to leave, and it took 8 years for everything to catch up.

View Quote

I agree totally.

I would have done the same thing only I would have never said a damn thing about it to anyone.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#15]
She did not just find and squat in the house, she moved in while it was some agreement with "show homes"?

show homes went under, founder went to jail, nobody contacted her about rent or told her to move out etc.. ?

She contacted the city about taxes, they told her not to pay because she is not the owner

She paid the utilities, lived in it kept it from turning to total squalor etc..

I see no problem here, but mutual benefit.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I love how she now hopes the new owners will pay for the much needed repairs, and then rent it back to her. She will probably use a section 8 application too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#17]
At the end of the video she says that the house needs repairs and if someone would fix them she would be fine with that, as in free.

After eight years no payments, no taxes, no repairs and she still doesn't have any money to make repairs.

She sounds like a really nice lady, but no you fix it yourself.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#18]
well, fuck her.....( didnt read, lol.... i dont guess i blame her for staying if no one told her to get out, or asked for money ) but, on the other hand.. dont a lot of states have laws where you can squat, and end up owning it if noone comes foreward to chase you out after so many months / years, abandoned etc?

iv been looking for a better rental house myself, and in the county there are lots of abandoned homes, but pretty much nothing for rent. its frustrating.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
She did not just find and squat in the house, she moved in while it was some agreement with "show homes"?

show homes went under, founder went to jail, nobody contacted her about rent or told her to move out etc.. ?

She contacted the city about taxes, they told her not to pay because she is not the owner

View Quote

im not having much problem with it either. squatting is one thing though, this doesnt sound like thats what she was doing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#21]
How in the fuck does living in a company house not violate a billion tax codes, or at least cost as much as the rent??
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Damm if I could live for 8-9 years with no rent/mortgage/prop taxes (and probably no homeowners insurance) or major repairs I would be a millionaire a few times over.
She could not save a about 10 grand and buy it outright at tax sale ? stupid.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

100% this.  She moved in in good faith.  The company that managed the property went under, and no one told her to leave.  The owner never paid property taxes (and she was told not to do so herself when she inquired about it) or came to investigate the property.  In fact, it was taken by the city because it was considered abandoned property.  She was given use of the property, and then the permission to use was never rescinded because apparently no one cared.  And it seems like she's perfectly willing to rent from the new owner.

This is not the case of some vagabond breaking into an owned-but-unoccupied house to live, she's just someone who fell though the cracks in a way that benefits her.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#24]
So it was a glitch in accounting?

Pretty dumb of her to come forward.   One of the Bobs just might "fix the glitch."
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#25]
"Free because nobody is paying for it is a lot different than "Free" because everybody is paying for it.

ETA: Spelling
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:24:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
well, fuck her.....( didnt read, lol.... i dont guess i blame her for staying if no one told her to get out, or asked for money ) but, on the other hand.. dont a lot of states have laws where you can squat, and end up owning it if noone comes foreward to chase you out after so many months / years, abandoned etc?

iv been looking for a better rental house myself, and in the county there are lots of abandoned homes, but pretty much nothing for rent. its frustrating.
View Quote

Adverse possession. Usually requires continuous, exclusive, and open/notorious ownership for a period of years determined by the law. Whole idea of it is
to allow people to use and improve property that is abandoned and otherwise decaying.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#30]
By law if a person live in a place x years where the owner do not contest it. The person living in the place can legally claim ownship. I forgot how many years it needed to claim legal ownship.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#31]
My wife knows some people that moved in one of two houses built for a planned rental community. East Broad Street and Rosehill road for the locals. The community was never built. The company went tits up in 1966. They paid rent to a bank via a deposit slip. The neighbor knowing the company wasn't there any more stopped paying. The couple my wife has known since childhood paid some pittance,125.00 I think, each month. When the bank changed names the account number changed and the bank employees helped the couple get the new number.

Fast forward to a little while ago. Menards wants the property for a new store. The people who owned the land didn't even realize there were any houses in the property. The landowning company sent an agent to talk to the people about the houses. The one couple that had stopped paying was evicted for non payment of rent and had to go. The couple paying rent couldn't be evicted. The courts couldn't figure out who exactly owned this account. It seems that somewhere along the way the paying renters account became their account due to a mistake by the bank.

They had quite the nest egg. The landowner thought it might be theirs and was going to sue. This would tie up the property till after the lawsuit worked it's way through the courts. Menards told the landowner they were going to build elsewhere if the property didn't close soon.

The landowner decided that they would take the millions from Menards over the 1/4 million from the couple. The couple got a nice condo up and n New Albany and still had a little left over.  

They weren't FSA neither is she in regards to the house. As to her disability claim and all the rest? Perhaps she is.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So it was a glitch in accounting?

Pretty dumb of her to come forward.   One of the Bobs just might "fix the glitch."
View Quote

But will she follow through and set the building on fire?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#33]
If she had maintained it and been employed, I woulld have voted "not FSA." She's living off of my tax dollars. Rent or no rent, she's a fucking mooch.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#35]
FSA and she owes the homeowner rent money
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

My wife knows some people that moved in one of two house built for a planned rental community. East Broad Street and Rosehill road for the locals. The community was never built. The company went tits up in 1966. They paid rent to a bank via a deposit slip. The neighbor knowing the company wasn't there any more stopped paying. The couple my wife has known since childhood paid some pittance,125.00 I think, each month. When the bank changed names the account number changed and the bank employees helped the couple get the new number.

Fast forward to a little while ago. Menards wants the property for a new store. The people who owned the land didn't even realize there were any houses in the property. The landowning company sent an agent to talk to the people about the houses. The one couple that had stopped paying was evicted for non payment of rent and had to go. The couple paying rent couldn't be evicted. The courts couldn't figure out who exactly owned this account. It seems that somewhere along the way the paying renters account became their account due to a mistake by the bank.

They had quite the nest egg. The landowner thought it might be theirs and was going to sue. This would tie up the property till after the lawsuit worked it's way through the courts. Menards told the landowner they were going to build elsewhere if the property didn't close soon.

The landowner decided that they would take the millions from Menards over the 1/4 million from the couple. The couple got a nice condo up and n New Albany and still had a little left over.  

They weren't FSA neither is she in regards to the house. As to her disability claim and all the rest? Perhaps she is.
View Quote

The land should be owned by the couple. The landlord did not contested the land or maintain the property for X amount of years. The ownership of the property will default to the people that maintain property. All it needed is go to city hall and claim it.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Had she paid the taxes and lived in it for ten years in Indiana she would have had Adverse Possesion.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'm going with this.  Apparently nobody else was looking to move in.  If she kept the place up, the owner is probably better off for it.  Untended houses can go bad.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Squatters gonna squat...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
At the end of the video she says that the house needs repairs and if someone would fix them she would be fine with that, as in free.

After eight years no payments, no taxes, no repairs and she still doesn't have any money to make repairs.

She sounds like a really nice lady, but no you fix it yourself.
View Quote

So the renter should pay to make repairs to a house she does not own.
Would you care to be a tenant of mine?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#41]
It's kind of win win for everyone in a case like this.  The house was being maintained for free, and the owner is accepting that it isn't hers and is willing to pay rent in the future.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#42]
She said she was willing to tell her story publicly because she recently heard her house was finally sold at a city surplus sale in July and she's hoping the new owner will do needed repairs to the house and rent it back to her.

View Quote

No.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure they do, they plan to raid whatever place happens to have whatever it is they need, like your house, or mine.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
She said she was willing to tell her story publicly because she recently heard her house was finally sold at a city surplus sale in July and she's hoping the new owner will do needed repairs to the house and rent it back to her.

No.

They said yes.  Did you read the story?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#45]
wow, what a fucking retard she wants to pay rent on a house that they paid 8k for....
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

No.

Do you own rental properties?  I guess not?  

A good renter is hard to find.  She is already there and willing to pay rent.  The property owner is the one that is supposed to fix the house.  I'm confused and baffled by your response.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
wow, what a fucking retard she wants to pay rent on a house that they paid 8k for....
View Quote

and probably needs $40k worth of fixing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yep, bad plan getting your "free" house brought up in a story in the local newspaper, let alone a national one.

Her "free" shit is going bye-bye very soon and you'll hear the story of how a poor unfortunate single mother of three was thrown into the street by some evil bank/city/what-have you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, but she does have one more card left to play.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

that
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The land should be owned by the couple. The landlord did not contested the land or maintain the property for X amount of years. The ownership of the property will default to the people that maintain property. All it needed is go to city hall and claim it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife knows some people that moved in one of two house built for a planned rental community. East Broad Street and Rosehill road for the locals. The community was never built. <snip>

The failed to ever pay the taxes, remember this is 50 acres on a busy road, and they never claimed it was theirs. The claimed to be renting, hence the rent. I do no know what the number was on the money they got to keep. It was substantial though. The compounding during the inflation of the seventies even on a passbook account would have been double digit interest. I think they may have had an adverse possession claim that would have tied the property up in court longer than the owner wished and certainly longer than Menards was willing to wait.

The new house is 250k and the landowner sent a crew to move them at no expense to the couple. They still have something left after buying the condo. I have no idea what, plugging the numbers into a compounding interest calculator gave me 400k at 6%.

My FIL and MIL were friends of these guys when they were alive. My wife would visit them occasionally.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top