Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 47
Posted: 8/21/2014 5:34:51 PM EDT
I'm not even joking. We've got the token two clean cut kids on bikes in our 'hood, complete with black helmets, ties, pressed pants, white shirts, going around passing out pamphlets and doing their thing. I've chatted with them a bit on several occasions, and they really are quite likeable. I've asked them specifically about what they believe in, and they don't mention any magic underwear or Jesus being born in Michigan or whatever. They just go into the standard "you have to follow Jesus to live a happy life".

Now, I don't personally believe in Jesus being a/the God. I'm completely unsure if God as we think of him is a real thing, or just something completely natural that is well beyond our understanding.  I'm not against the idea of a traditional God, I just don't have any faith that such is the case. That being said, these guys and their church seem like a genuinely nice, good bunch of people.

I'm seriously considering sitting in on one of their services and introducing myself, but to be totally honest I'm not hoping to come to any spiritual revelations, I just want to see what the hell they're putting in the water there, so to speak. My question is, would doing so be intrusive/offensive if I approached the church on a social level, rather than a spiritual level. I plan on being completely honest about my intentions and beliefs.

Or is this going to end like a Twilight Zone with me wearing a bike helmet and a Valium smile?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I know quite a few Mormons. On the whole, the females are VERY attractive.

So there's always that
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Just find out when your local ward has Sacrament meeting.  Wear a tie and just go.  You will meet the most friendly people ever.

You will probably be worn out just from shaking hands.

If you are expecting fire and brimstone, you will be disapointed.  Most Sacrament meetings have 3-4 speakers giving talks and bearing their testimony.

They also have Sunday School and Priesthood meetings on Sundays.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting, didn't know you could 'become' Mormon, always thought you were born into it, like the Amish.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Interesting, didn't know you could 'become' Mormon, always thought you were born into it.
View Quote
They're always out chatting people up, so I assume membership is open. And yes, the girls are generally quite attractive.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#5]
No way in hell.

ETA: OP, do some serious outside research on the history of the Mormon religion.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I mean as long as you get to have multiple wives.. you've got that going for you.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just find out when your local ward has Sacrament meeting.  Wear a tie and just go.  You will meet the most friendly people ever.

If you are expecting fire and brimstone, you will be disapointed.  Most Sacrament meetings have 3-4 speakers giving talks and bearing their testimony.

View Quote

do this
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Been there done that, to each there own.
Mormons for the most part are really good people. Around here the loony ones run off to Utah, "the holy land" There's Mormons and then there's Utah Mormons. That's no joke, that's how they're referred as LOL

Overall they're good people, I've decided I'm agnostic and organized religion isn't for me. In laws and a good friend are quite active.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'm not even joking. We've got the token two clean cut kids on bikes in our 'hood, complete with black helmets, ties, pressed pants, white shirts, going around passing out pamphlets and doing their thing. I've chatted with them a bit on several occasions, and they really are quite likeable. I've asked them specifically about what they believe in, and they don't mention any magic underwear or Jesus being born in Michigan or whatever. They just go into the standard "you have to follow Jesus to live a happy life".

Now, I don't personally believe in Jesus being a/the God. I'm completely unsure if God as we think of him is a real thing, or just something completely natural that is well beyond our understanding.  I'm not against the idea of a traditional God, I just don't have any faith that such is the case. That being said, these guys and their church seem like a genuinely nice, good bunch of people.

I'm seriously considering sitting in on one of their services and introducing myself, but to be totally honest I'm not hoping to come to any spiritual revelations, I just want to see what the hell they're putting in the water there, so to speak. My question is, would doing so be intrusive/offensive if I approached the church on a social level, rather than a spiritual level. I plan on being completely honest about my intentions and beliefs.

Or is this going to end like a Twilight Zone with me wearing a bike helmet and a Valium smile?
View Quote
Did you expect them to bring up baptism of the dead, celestial marriage, or temple garments on your first encounter? The entire Mormon missionary model is based on intentional vagueness and trying to pass off the church as a Christian denomination.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Desire to wear special undies?  Have a faith system with imposed caste?  Yes, you can go to your ward but not the big temple until you have contributed big bucks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a friend from years ago that accepted LDS, It made a big difference in his life. Talk to Shane333, he is a good guy, he will steer you right
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Interesting, didn't know you could 'become' Mormon, always thought you were born into it, like the Amish.
View Quote

Um. Missionaries? It's kind of their thing dude.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Before you buy into their line, remember this:  Those guys are recruiters.  They will always present the best side first.

Research.  Research.  Research.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Did you expect them to bring up baptism of the dead, celestial marriage, or temple garments on your first encounter? The entire Mormon missionary model is based on intentional vagueness and trying to pass off the church as a Christian denomination.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're saying they aren't Christians?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

do this
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

do this

I think I'll give this a try. I'm not at all expecting fire and brimstone, but more an insight into what they seem to have figured out that helps them lead such seemingly happy lives. If their path leads me to God, I'll be just as surprised as anyone could be, but I'm completely open to hearing what they have offer.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#16]
My Mormon neighbors seem to be engrossed in the typical church family battle to be known as the most self righteous people in the neighborhood.  Dad doesn't like my river rock, because he has to step on it to get out of his truck when he parks RIGHT UP TO my property line, so he informed me the other day that he's taken the liberty of disposing of my river rock a bit at a time in the weekly garbage pickup, so he can replace it with 3/4".  I really don't give a shit about the river rock so I told him to whatever he wants with it.  If I felt like pissing off otherwise quiet non-troublemaking neighbors, I would call him out on it, but whatever.  He'll know he's crossed the line when he does it.

Their teenage kids are super-braggarts about their grades, their clubs, their house, their friends, our kids say they think they are better than everyone else.  The oldest teenage girl used to sit in her BFs car and make out in the street until my wife wandered by and rapped on the window to screw with them.  

Mom likes to talk about all the neighbors, but is otherwise really nice.  She brought us treats to make friends when we moved in.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not one mainline Christian denomination does.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

No! You'd absolutely be welcomed to attend, and the "members" would be thrilled to have you there, even if you're frank about your reasons (as you were in this post). I'd encourage you to go give it a whirl. We really are nice folks generally.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never seen or heard of any Christian denomination that didn't consider them heretics at best and a cult at worst. They have Christ as a central figure of the religion, but so does Islam. I have never heard of a professing Christian that accepted Mormons as fellow believers.

ETA: When Catholics, Anglicans, Protestants, Orthodox, charismatics, Pentecostals, and Jehovah's Witnesses all agree on somebody not being doctrinally the same religion it's fair to say they are probably correct.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The way I understand it, they put more weight on the "Gospel" of Joseph Smith than on the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I knew a mormon once....
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Before you buy into their line, remember this:  Those guys are recruiters.  They will always present the best side first.

Research.  Research.  Research.
View Quote

I have an (albeit true) anecdote about a Marine recruiter getting permission to pull me out of high school to come down and talk to him. He wanted to show me what life in the Marines would be like and it was all pictures of people water skiing and playing football and just having all sorts of fun.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My Mormon neighbors seem to be engrossed in the typical church family battle to be known as the most self righteous people in the neighborhood.  Dad doesn't like my river rock, because he has to step on it to get out of his truck when he parks RIGHT UP TO my property line, so he informed me the other day that he's taken the liberty of disposing of my river rock a bit at a time in the weekly garbage pickup, so he can replace it with 3/4".  I really don't give a shit about the river rock so I told him to whatever he wants with it.  If I felt like pissing off otherwise quiet non-troublemaking neighbors, I would call him out on it, but whatever.  He'll know he's crossed the line when he does it.

Their teenage kids are super-braggarts about their grades, their clubs, their house, their friends, our kids say they think they are better than everyone else.  The oldest teenage girl used to sit in her BFs car and make out in the street until my wife wandered by and rapped on the window to screw with them.  

Mom likes to talk about all the neighbors, but is otherwise really nice.  She brought us treats to make friends when we moved in.

YMMV.
View Quote

Pretty sure all denominations have their share of douchebags.

I tried the church out, wasn't for me but I'm not going to sit here and rip them a new asshole because it's obviously working for others.

Guess it's the libertarian part of me, didn't work for me, but I'm not going to say it won't work for you.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#24]
They are super nice people but the "Jesus" they mention and profess to believe in isn't the Jesus found in the Bible.  

A false gospel is what you will hear.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#25]

I would think GD would only accept a God if he was a super nerd and he created us to be self aware in his super computer program.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The way I understand it, they put more weight on the "Gospel" of Joseph Smith than on the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those young men with the white shirts and ties spend their entire "missions" (2 years typically) earnestly inviting everyone they can to "become" Mormon.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I want to be mormon just to find a hot woman who knows how to cook, clean, be a great mom and can get down.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I tried the church out, wasn't for me but I'm not going to sit here and rip them a new asshole because it's obviously working for others.

Guess it's the libertarian part of me, didn't work for me, but I'm not going to say it won't work for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV.

I agree, which is why I put "YMMV" at the end - "Your Mileage May Vary".
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've never seen or heard of any Christian denomination that didn't consider them heretics at best and a cult at worst. They have Christ as a central figure of the religion, but so does Islam. I have never heard of a professing Christian that accepted Mormons as fellow believers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And christians as a whole have such a rich history or being open minded to others......if most look down on Mormons I guess they all should?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is GD, so I guess I should just prepare myself for the train wreck that's coming  
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And christians as a whole have such a rich history or being open minded to others......if most look down on Mormons I guess they all should?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's like trying to say that a cat is a dog. It just isn't.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Great people, Great Church. As you can tell by this thread expect much butthurt by other Christians.

Also those saying Missionaries won't tell you about the "bad" stuff are wrong. When I joined I was given a copy of Gospel Principles which covered most things that people flip shit over.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#34]
It's no wonder the GOP loses elections left and right. Mormons for the most part are really good people and yet the bigoted replies here leave me speechless (and I'm not even LDS).
Keep this up and it won't be long and all 50 states will be blue
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If not lying about the fact that the doctrines are distinct and incompatible with each other is "looking down on" I guess so. And that's just from a secular perspective not counting theology and historical fact.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's no wonder the GOP loses elections left and right. Mormons for the most part are really good people and yet the bigoted replies here leave me speechless (and I'm not even LDS).
View Quote

We don't hate Mormons, and theologically accurate descriptions are not "bigoted".
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Find out when the tithing starts and how much it costs. Then you can believe.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#39]
As a whole, I find the members of the LDS church to be good people.  They accept me for who I am and don't preach to me. All they do is set the example; and honestly it is a tough act to follow.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm not a Mormon, and have never been to one of their services.  However, my former boss, and one of the guys on my shooting team were Mormons.  They were both outstanding individuals.  The man on my shooting team was such a good man, that if I had a son ask me what a man should be like, I would have pointed to him (the guy on my shooting team) and said, "Just watch how he lives, and do that."

I don't think you can give a man any higher praise than that.  None of the Mormons I have known have ever tried to do the hard core proselytizing that the Jehovah's witnesses, and many other religions have.  They simply lived by example, and I respect that immensely.

I don't see how it could hurt you to take a look into something that turns out men like those.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

What bigoted replies would those be?  The ones that disagreed with Mormonism being a Christ centered church?  Or the one like mine that pointed out my Mormon neighbor also happened to be an asshole who took it upon himself to steal my landscaping rock because he didn't like it?

Go to Democratic Underground or something, because you obviously suffer from whatever disease it is that Liberals have, where anyone who disagrees with you or points out a character issue is a "bigot".

To be clear, my Mormon neighbors are pretty decent, far better than most.  Definitely an asshole move to take it upon yourself to modify your neighbors landscaping, but that's not because he's a Mormon, that's because he did something assholish.  Feel better now?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Peer pressure is a big part of it.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's not really a secret: 10% and as soon as you get baptized.

https://www.lds.org/topics/tithing:
The Bible indicates that God’s people followed the law of tithing anciently; through modern prophets, God restored this law once again to bless His children. To fulfill this commandment, Church members give one-tenth of their income to the Lord through His Church. These funds are used to build up the Church and further the work of the Lord throughout the world.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

The GOP loses elections because some people don't like Mormons.

Got it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
No way in hell.

ETA: OP, do some serious outside research on the history of the Mormon religion.
View Quote

This !!!!

Mormon's are the nicest, kindest, most misguided people on the planet. If you have some misgivings in general about God as the father, the son Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, believing the Mormon dogma is going to be a HUGE stretch.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:03:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Been there done that, to each there own.
Mormons for the most part are really good people. Around here the loony ones run off to Utah, "the holy land" There's Mormons and then there's Utah Mormons. That's no joke, that's how they're referred as LOL

Overall they're good people, I've decided I'm agnostic and organized religion isn't for me. In laws and a good friend are quite active.
View Quote

The Utah Mormons are fleeing to East Idaho to escape the rot that has overtaken Salt Lake.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm not an Atheist, but I personally do have a problem with the whole Jesus thing. An unwed girl/woman has a child, while still a virgin, because and unwed mother would be stoned to death back or ostracized back then. She claims the child is "special", some other people claim the baby is special (as the story has been told). He is born, and then lives while claiming he is the son of God, the government  is worried because his preachings are against them, he is then crucified. He "awakens" and it is claimed he was resurrected. He then disappears. This is claimed by followers that are strictly devoted to him.

All of this happened over 2000+ years ago, and nobody else is born the son of God, nor has Jesus appeared since his death. It all reads like a great movie, but in real life nothing ale like it has ever occurred. It's all just so well scripted, but there is no proof of any of this. Maybe it's the scientist in me, I know man is fallible. The bible as it was written, also reads like a good dramatic novel to me. How did a man know that Adam & Eve existed and what led to their demise? How does a man know how many things were created before God rested? How could any man know this unless they were present at the time?

I am more apt to believe in evolution, but I don't besmirch those that are religious. I believe in evolution and science, does this make me a bad person?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#49]
I purposely bought a house in a predominantly Mormon neighborhood, right next to the Ward 2-4 chapterhouse.  They're great neighbors.  

I've had their missionaries over for cold water, good kids.  They take the Scouting program seriously.

I'd be a Mormon in a heartbeat, save that I haven't had a revelation yet.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:04:12 PM EDT
[#50]

My next post was going to be recommending this book. Damnit Esti!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 47
Top Top