Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 10/18/2013 9:23:33 AM EDT
Fellow member from IL Carry had a house fire about a month ago, caused by a dehumidifier. It had been the subject of a recall a week previously, but the guy wasn't aware of that. He lost everything.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42261

On september 19, 2013 my family suffered a large house fire. I lost 6 firearms and all tools/cleaning supplies/accessories. Insurance will replace most of what was lost.  The cause of this fire was a Dehumidifier that had unknown to me been recalled the previous week.  I am sure many of you are like me and run dehumidifiers in basements or near firearms collections.  Please check them.  The company that made mine was sold at a local home supply store.  Due to pending litigation I wont name the store but will post a link to the recall notice.  Please check it out and tell everyone you know.  Our fire will end up costing between $400,000-500,000.  We lost everything.  The best example of everything I can give is the night of the fire I had to borrow shoes from the neighbor to get to the hotel.  My family is ok and thats really what counts.

I dont want anything from anyone just to make fellow firearm owners aware of something that is an issue.  I am sure there are many of us that have these near our collections and even if not please still check them.  Thank you for reading this. I hope it saves someone some heartache.
View Quote

Link to CPSC recall notice

ETA 10/20 - pics of damage from fire on page 3.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:29:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks.  I'll check as soon as I get home.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Well fuck - I think I have one of those running in my basement as we speak.

Update: Looks like I'm in the clear.  I have an LG model, which isn't on the list.

If there is anyone in suburban MD with a bad one let me know.  I'm interested in taking one apart, mainly to show my son how the vapor compression cycle works.  I swear it won't ever be turned on indoors again - I have no interest in burning down my house.

Update 2: Turns out my parents have one - they were totally clueless about it.  Told Mom to leave it unplugged and I registered on the website for them.  So I think that's 100.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#3]
It is good to look over the CPSC site periodically.  Sometimes you end up with new, updated shit for free.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I know we have some Canadian members. This recall involves Canada, as well. 52K units were sold north of the border.

Canadian recall notice
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Fellow member from IL Carry had a house fire about a month ago, caused by a dehumidifier. It had been the subject of a recall a week previously, but the guy wasn't aware of that. He lost everything.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42261

On september 19, 2013 my family suffered a large house fire. I lost 6 firearms and all tools/cleaning supplies/accessories. Insurance will replace most of what was lost.  The cause of this fire was a Dehumidifier that had unknown to me been recalled the previous week.  I am sure many of you are like me and run dehumidifiers in basements or near firearms collections.  Please check them.  The company that made mine was sold at a local home supply store.  Due to pending litigation I wont name the store but will post a link to the recall notice.  Please check it out and tell everyone you know.  Our fire will end up costing between $400,000-500,000.  We lost everything.  The best example of everything I can give is the night of the fire I had to borrow shoes from the neighbor to get to the hotel.  My family is ok and thats really what counts.

I dont want anything from anyone just to make fellow firearm owners aware of something that is an issue.  I am sure there are many of us that have these near our collections and even if not please still check them.  Thank you for reading this. I hope it saves someone some heartache.
View Quote

Link to CPSC recall notice
View Quote

Checked mine, not on list. Still nerve wracking though.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I run a dehumidifier in my basement and thankfully mine is a Zenith brand not part of the recall.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I just went and checked my basement as I turned the humidifier on this morning.  It is on the recall list.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here. OP ,thanks for the PSA
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're welcome. That's why I posted it in GD. There are some good uses for GD.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I just went and checked my basement as I turned the humidifier on this morning.  It is on the recall list.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you NOT turn it on?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry for your loss but glad no one was hurt
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sorry for your loss but glad no one was hurt
View Quote

Wasn't me, but a fellow member of an IL gun forum I'm on.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Yup, mine is subject, too.  Thanks for the heads up, OP.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Did you NOT turn it on?
View Quote

I turned it on this morning.  I run it most of the time from Spring to Fall.  I live on a small island so humidity is 97% most days.  I run that thing all the time when not at home, right next to my gun safe and 50,000 rounds of ammo in the basement.

I read this thread, went right down to check, went back up and grabbed my netbook, went back down checked again and unplugged it and filled out the recall form online.

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#15]
thanks, I have a Frigidaire in my basement right now but I doubt it is in the date range. I will check when I get home.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#16]
pretty sure one of mine is on the list.  Thanks for the heads up.

Need to read more about the refund or replacement though.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I would never have known about this other than clicking on the thread which I just happened to do for some unknown reason.

My house could have burned down and that safe is packed with at least 20 long rifles, a very large amount of Buck knives and at least 10 pistols.  I have 3 shotguns in there including an Antonio Zoli O/U that is worth a good amount, a Remington 1100, 4 AR's, 7 AKs and a few deer rifles.

I could deal with the loss of the house and contents except for the loss of the firearms, ammo or my life.
Those 3 things are irreplaceable.

Must have been fate led me to click on Marie's thread

Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 10:27:02 AM EDT
[#18]
What are these "basements" you speak of?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Dude, having to replace a dehumidifier is peanuts compared with losing your house, stuff, and maybe family members.

posted by Mak

I would never have known about this other than clicking on the thread which I just happened to do for some unknown reason.

My house could have burned down and that safe is packed with at least 20 long rifles, a very large amount of Buck knives and at least 10 pistols. I have 3 shotguns in there including an Antonio Zoli O/U that is worth a good amount, a Remington 1100, 4 AR's, 7 AKs and a few deer rifles.

I could deal with the loss of the house and contents except for the loss of the firearms, ammo or my life.
Those 3 things are irreplaceable.

Must have been fate led me to click on Marie's thread

Thank you.

You're welcome. That's why I posted it here.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I have one Frigidaire that's on the recall list in my basement.  Pretty sure the one I gave the in-laws is going to be on the list too since it was bought close to the same time (same model, just smaller capacity).  

Just made the call and they said mine is for sure on the list.  $239 is what the return is on mine, though I'm pretty sure I paid more than that.  Oh well, looks like I can replace it for that.  Now to figure out which one to get that won't catch fire.

Thanks again OP!  
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Mine was on the list that we saw a while back. Notified the company they send you an envelope and some instructions for you to remove the serial number stickers and cut the power cord off of the dehumidifer and send it in an dthen they send a check within several weeks.

Mine has run most of the summer in my basement for the last few years with no probs but better safe than sorry
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I have the LG model from Homey D - not on the list fortunately.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Would be good to get this tacked for a while.

Thanks for the heads up Marie.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Thank you for the heads up!!! I have two of them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Thanks.  I'll check as soon as I get home.
View Quote

Ditto, thanks!
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#28]
I have one at home and one at work.

THANK YOU, OP.

ETA 10/22:  Spoke to Gree.  $198 check will be mailed after they received the contents of the "return kit" that "collects information that let's them know that I'm no longer using the dehumidifier."
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#29]
thanks. I think I have one of these from Costco running in my gun room right  now.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Tag for home to check my model.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Yes, this thread should be tacked at the top.  I would bet that plenty of people have one of the models listed.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Would be good to get this tacked for a while.

Thanks for the heads up Marie.
View Quote

Emailed Tango7, a GD mod, asking him to tack this one at the top of GD. Good suggestion.

I'm at how many people already are finding they have one on the recall list in their home - and running!
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Mine was on the list that we saw a while back. Notified the company they send you an envelope and some instructions for you to remove the serial number stickers and cut the power cord off of the dehumidifer and send it in an dthen they send a check within several weeks.

Mine has run most of the summer in my basement for the last few years with no probs but better safe than sorry
View Quote

Hmmm...that would leave the refrigeration system and controls intact for tinkering.  Though only on outside, disposable projects unless the cause of the fires can be remedied.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I turned it on this morning.  I run it most of the time from Spring to Fall.  I live on a small island so humidity is 97% most days.  I run that thing all the time when not at home, right next to my gun safe and 50,000 rounds of ammo in the basement.

I read this thread, went right down to check, went back up and grabbed my netbook, went back down checked again and unplugged it and filled out the recall form online.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/MakarovshooterinAZ/100_1804_zps482a0fb4.jpg?t=1382119746

<a href="http://s8.photobucket.com/user/MakarovshooterinAZ/media/100_1806_zpsb2bc06aa.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/MakarovshooterinAZ/100_1806_zpsb2bc06aa.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you NOT turn it on?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/MakarovshooterinAZ/100_1804_zps482a0fb4.jpg?t=1382119746

<a href="http://s8.photobucket.com/user/MakarovshooterinAZ/media/100_1806_zpsb2bc06aa.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/MakarovshooterinAZ/100_1806_zpsb2bc06aa.jpg</a>

Damn, that's crazy!  I have a 12 year-old dehumidifier but I only run it when I'm home.  I don't like to run appliances when I'm not home.  Another Arfcommer here posted that you shouldn't run your dishwasher, drier, etc. while you're not home.

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I have the LG model from Homey D - not on the list fortunately.
View Quote
Same as I have.   65qt I think ( black metal one )

ETA  Thanks OP.   I forwarded to family and fiends.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks OP, I have one as well, its amazing at all the valuable information and knowledge within this site, even GD.
Time to reup my membership.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the heads up OP.  I'll check mine when I get home.  If it's not too late.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Confirmed.  2nd one is affected as well.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 1:53:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Bump for the folks coming home from work...
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#40]
*whew*...

Mine's safe.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#41]
bump - this is important stuff
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm amazed at the number of people who have these
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Well hell mine is on the list for recall. Thanks for the heads up OP
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for posting, I run one and will check the Model #.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're a necessity in homes with basements.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Definitely checking mine. Bought it in 08 and its been running ever since.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#47]
After checking, mine is on the recall too. Good post OP! Finally something on GD that's worth it! Thread bump also
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm amazed at the number of people who have one (or more!) subject to the recall.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#49]
mine was outside the date range, thanks for the heads up though OP
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for the heads up! Mine is on the list!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top