Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

The 5.7x28mm (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/6/2024 3:20:53 PM EDT
Is the 5.7x28mm dying a slow death or do you guys think this round is just gaining speed ?
Do we expect more firearms in this caliber to come out !?

Anyone know of any 5.7x28mm day sales for tomorrow 5/7/2024?????
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Judging by the number of guns being cranked out in this caliber I would say it's doing quite well.

Better than I ever expected it to. Certainly not dying on the vine.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Doing better than .30 SC atleast
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By DOG556:
Is the 5.7x28mm dying a slow death or do you guys think this round is just gaining speed ?

View Quote

Its doing well since NATO offical adoption. Not sure why uou want it in a pistol format but 10in carbines are the sauce.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never used it myself but I see PSA is keeping it alive they even have an MP7 type thing that fires it kinda cool but I'm all in on 9mm PCC's I have a bunch of 9mm stocked and I reload it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#5]
It's the ideal pistol cartridge.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:31:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I still can’t make up my mind. I was all set to add some sort of large format, braced pistol, but the Internet can’t even agree on whether it’s the greatest thing since the 5.56, or if it’s just a overblown and expensive 22 magnum. I’ll stick to my current calibers until you guys figure it out.

I will say this, if the price comes down to 5.56 levels, or even better, 9 mm levels, I will definitely pick one up. But as long as it remains where it currently is, I’ll keep thinking about it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone needs to use some of that 6.8x51 hybrid case 80ksi secret sauce on 5.7x28 so we can get legit rifle speed out of a 5" barrel.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Efl15:
View Quote

I’d have to disagree. I carry a pistol concealed, or I grab a rifle. Maybe this problem is peculiar to me, since I’m 6 feet tall and weigh 155 pounds, but I cannot conceal a full size pistol on my skinny body. And I don’t know how you can build a micro compact around the 5.7 cartridge.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
Judging by the number of guns being cranked out in this caliber I would say it's doing quite well.

View Quote

I got a rock5.7 last year
Also have a SBR’d p90
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I think it’s gaining in popularity. Kel-tec, S&W, PSA and FN making pistols now.  I think Ruger is too???

I think that Smith and Wesson pistol in 22magnum would be fun though.   30 round capacity and ammo is almost half of what 5.7 costs.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#11]
A carry model of the S&W or FN MRD would be great!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:38:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#12]
Originally Posted By TheRealBluedog:

I’d have to disagree. I carry a pistol concealed, or I grab a rifle. Maybe this problem is peculiar to me, since I’m 6 feet tall and weigh 155 pounds, but I cannot conceal a full size pistol on my skinny body. And I don’t know how you can build a micro compact around the 5.7 cartridge.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I don't have any problem with a long barrel carrying AIWB, in fact a longer gun can be more comfortable. The grip height/width on an M&P 5.7 is about the same as a G43x, and those are the critical dimensions for me.  I'm still not 100% sold on its terminal performance, but holy shit does that gun shoot flat even compared to my full size compensated 9mm guns.  I think something can be said for accuracy at speed and 22rnds in the mag vs 15 for the same grip length.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Just now jumping into it.  Last week ordered approx 3k rounds and a psa rock.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Itd be a better round in a 10/22.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DOG556:

View Quote

Depending on what PSA does I may end up buying a 3rd gun in that caliber. Just waiting to see.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I really like 5.7 it's a good round in light weight rifle and suppresses good. It's my favorite night hunting gun.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Mfgs always have sales on weird dates - I’m
Hoping tomorrow that some 5-7 day sales are out there
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

No. It's an ideal alternative to 22 Magnum that feeds reliably without the issues of a rimmed cartridge. You will pay for that at the pump though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Is 5.7 adaptable to a Compact Pistol?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:15:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CavVet] [#20]
Originally Posted By Useafortyfive:

I think that Smith and Wesson pistol in 22magnum would be fun though.   30 round capacity and ammo is almost half of what 5.7 costs.
View Quote

I just got into 22wmr.

Bought that keltec folder and matching pistol, CMR/PMR 30.

Love the carbine, expect to shoot the pistol this week

My sister is a 5.7 fan, we just picked up some dies cheap locally. Can't believe it uses 224 pills. That's awesome!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#21]
5.7 has its place.  

But someone needs to either clone or improve upon SS198LF at an affordable price to increase mass appeal.  

PSA, you listening?? No weaksauce, please.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:22:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Drebin7] [#22]
Cool cartridge for sure but I dislike how the straight walled case relies on a polymer lubricant to ensure reliable feeding and extraction. Just seems like a tolerance stacking issue waiting to happen. That said, FN5.7 and PS90s seem to get great reviews for reliability and the PS90 magazine design wouldn't work without the straight cases in the first place so maybe that point is moot. The other major downside to the polymer lubricant is it can cause issues with reloading and since it's already an expensive cartridge that's a bummer.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:29:43 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

Add in the fact it is same near useless and it's useless. It's fast and small. Pokes little holes. Need LOTS of them to make a dent. Great for squirrels. Bad for people.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Is anyone making a 5.7 upper?

I know there was an offering a few years ago that used P90 50 rd mags and ejected down the magwell but it was always hard to find.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:41:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DeltaV42:
Is anyone making a 5.7 upper?

I know there was an offering a few years ago that used P90 50 rd mags and ejected down the magwell but it was always hard to find.
View Quote

CMMG makes barrels/bolts and complete uppers and carbines.

My 5.7 with 8” CMMG barrel.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By M4-AK:
Is 5.7 adaptable to a Compact Pistol?
View Quote

Theoretically, sure. The problem is that it's velocity-dependent for terminal effect, more so than rounds like 9mm. So if you put it in a gun with a short barrel you're going to lose a lot of velocity and thus terminal effect.

FWIW, I like it. I have a PSA Rock and an FN PS90, which I'm not going to SBR because I want the velocity you get from the longer barrel. Even with the 16" barrel it's extremely compact and with a red dot, stupid easy to do snap head shots at 50 yards.

Ballistically it's closer to .22 Magnum than 5.56 NATO, but that's not a problem, IMO. It's not intended for use as an infantry rifle. For a short range PDW it should work fine, especially from 10"+ barrels.

I can see a use for it in pistols for people with hand problems or who are very sensitive to recoil, as long as their hands are large enough to hold the pistol. The PSA Rock holds 23 rounds in a flush fit magazine which somewhat compensates for the lower power level.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By xviperx420:
View Quote

10/22. Leveraction. A damn sub2000.
Lots of uses for a small zippy flat shooting 22.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By alpharph:

CMMG makes barrels/bolts and complete uppers and carbines.

My 5.7 with 8” CMMG barrel.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/233426/IMG_3185_jpeg-3207256.JPG
View Quote

I freaking dig this so much.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:55:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Seems like it's on an upward trajectory anyway. New guns, new rounds, more exposure (for better or worse).
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By TuskenRaider:
I really like 5.7 it's a good round in light weight rifle and suppresses good. It's my favorite night hunting gun.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/227384/IMG_4065_jpeg-3207197.JPG
View Quote

Exactly why i want to build a 8in cmmg upper.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By xviperx420:
View Quote

That would be cool.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Wudda coincidence.  Just today,  I found some tubs of brass and there's one marked 5.7. I quit reloading years ago. No memory of ever reloading 5.7.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:05:10 PM EDT
[#34]
I still can’t make up my mind. I was all set to add some sort of large format, braced pistol, but the Internet can’t even agree on whether it’s the greatest thing since the 5.56, or if it’s just a overblown and expensive 22 magnum. I’ll stick to my current calibers until you guys figure it out.

I will say this, if the price comes down to 5.56 levels, or even better, 9 mm levels, I will definitely pick one up. But as long as it remains where it currently is, I’ll keep thinking about it.
View Quote

If it helps you can spend $3 on the best machined unicorn horn 5.7 and it still won't outperform cheap M193 at any barrel length. Hell, spot the 5.7 2" and it's still not as good.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

View Quote

This. Ruger saved it and PSA is about to make it a star with the release of the not mp7
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Dave_Markowitz:

Theoretically, sure. The problem is that it's velocity-dependent for terminal effect, more so than rounds like 9mm. So if you put it in a gun with a short barrel you're going to lose a lot of velocity and thus terminal effect.

FWIW, I like it. I have a PSA Rock and an FN PS90, which I'm not going to SBR because I want the velocity you get from the longer barrel. Even with the 16" barrel it's extremely compact and with a red dot, stupid easy to do snap head shots at 50 yards.

Ballistically it's closer to .22 Magnum than 5.56 NATO, but that's not a problem, IMO. It's not intended for use as an infantry rifle. For a short range PDW it should work fine, especially from 10"+ barrels.

I can see a use for it in pistols for people with hand problems or who are very sensitive to recoil, as long as their hands are large enough to hold the pistol. The PSA Rock holds 23 rounds in a flush fit magazine which somewhat compensates for the lower power level.
View Quote

I am not 100% sure, but I think the factory PS90 actually has a very short barrel, and what looks like a barrel is actually a very long permanently mounted flash suppressor.

I have no intention of SBR mine either, if I do make a SBR it would be an AR.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#37]
We have a pile of 5.7 ammo at work. Nothing to shoot it out of, so there it sits, collecting dust. I wish I could either give it away, or find something chambered in it that I could β€œtest fire” repeatedly.

Last time I looked it was super expensive. What a waste!! πŸ˜”
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By colklink:

I am not 100% sure, but I think the factory PS90 actually has a very short barrel, and what looks like a barrel is actually a very long permanently mounted flash suppressor.

I have no intention of SBR mine either, if I do make a SBR it would be an AR.
View Quote

The rifled length of the PS90 barrel is 14.8", so not too much shorter than the length with the permanently attached flash hider. In contrast, the P90 has 10.39" barrel.

I'd be more inclined to SBR it if we could also have the giggle switch.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By IceChimp:

If it helps you can spend $3 on the best machined unicorn horn 5.7 and it still won't outperform cheap M193 at any barrel length. Hell, spot the 5.7 2" and it's still not as good.
View Quote

Because try as we might, you cant fit 5.56 into a platform the size of a P-90 or a handgun. PDW rounds are PDW rounds. I would take it over 4.6 30 carbine and 9mm in the use cases it was designed for.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By chase45:
Doing better than .30 SC atleast
View Quote

To be fair, that's a pretty low bar
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#41]
It is doing better than 6.8 SPC and .30 Carbine from the brass I find at the range.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#42]
just bought a m&p 5.7 - uses a gas system.

unique gun for sure.  i like the idea of low recoil and quicker follow up shots.

the 23 rd capacity is a big deal too.  you would be fubar if you got hit with a few of those.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#43]
It's a mid point evolution of the PDW and PDW cartridge.

They used to be full auto, pistol caliber SMGs that relied on bursts to be effective, but lacked range and armor penetration.

Next, was the 5.7 and 4.6 that penetrated armor and reached further, but were still low powered, and relied on bursts to affect stops.

Later, we started shortening intermediate cartridge rifles to get more power per round, and more stops per magazine, without the risk of full auto.

Currently, peak PDW is something like a Honey Badger or SIG Rattler in 300 BLK.
The advantage of the P90 is super compact height.

The FiveseveN is a lightweight, service size pistol that can penetrate soft armor.

It's a niche cartridge but not useless.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#44]
It’s established.

What’s holding it back is the per round cost for range fodder and availability of proven defensive loads.

It will never approached 9x19, .45ACP or .22LR in popularity but it’s not going away.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Show me a department that has had multiple shooting with it and say they want more. There are none.

Most require multiple shots. Then agian most I see of any caliber are mag dumps that would get us regular folks prison time.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By ARMALITE-FAN:
Show me a department that has had multiple shooting with it and say they want more. There are none.

Most require multiple shots. Then agian most I see of any caliber are mag dumps that would get us regular folks prison time.
View Quote

Kind of like pistol cartridges, right?

That's why modern PDWs use intermediate rifle cartridges.
Now, in a holsterable handgun, it's a different animal.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#47]
πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By CavVet:

I just got into 22wmr.

My sister is a 5.7 fan, we just picked up some dies cheap locally. Can't believe it uses 224 pills. That's awesome!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CavVet:
Originally Posted By Useafortyfive:  I think that Smith and Wesson pistol in 22magnum would be fun though. Β  30 round capacity and ammo is almost half of what 5.7 costs.

I just got into 22wmr.

The CMR30 doesn't fold.  The SUB2000 folds, but it's in 9x19mm or .40 S&W.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#49]
The popularity of 5.7 correlates directly to the amount of people who identify as non-bianary.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:  Someone needs to use some of that 6.8x51 hybrid case 80ksi secret sauce on 5.7x28 so we can get legit rifle speed out of a 5" barrel.
View Quote

Already done - you just have to use 30 grain bullets to get it up to 2300 fps.  At $3 per trigger pull & spotty availability.

@PursuitSS

You can do a concealable 5.7 pistol, but you probably want to go to Bond Arms in lovely Granbury, Texas, for that, or you really will have nothing but a centerfire .22 magnum on your hands.

OP, how many 5.7 threads are you going to post in asking for 7 May sales?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
The 5.7x28mm (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top