Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/6/2024 3:03:30 AM EDT
Someone sent me this link. Looks like a Tiktok video. Though it does not stay in view through most of the video, i gather this is a rabid coyote under this guy's treestand.

I guess it's rabid by the crazy noises it is making. If the guy had been on the ground, this would have been a royal problem.

Rabid coyote?

"Reason 1,432" to always carry a weapon...jeez
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:09:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Racoon. It was in late stages of what I'm guessing was distemper.

Eyes gummed up, drooling, walking into walls, chasing after any sound angrily.

Chased my dog and I back in the house. Luckily I had my pup on a leash and dragged him in.

.22 and buried very very deep far from my property.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:19:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, raccoon… it saw me from about 50 yards away in the woods and started coming for me. I threw a few rocks at it, nailed it with one and it didn’t phase it, kept coming. I bailed out of there fast. I was 17 or so, otherwise I would have smoked it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:57:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Had a rabid raccoon walking in circles in the back yard. Its gait was all sideways and then just started walking in circles. 9mm made short work of it
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:19:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Distemper.causes symptoms similar to rabies and affected animals are often assumed to be rabid.   That beings said, I have seen a couple coons that had rabies.  Its nasty
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:32:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:46:43 AM EDT
[#6]
My brother got bit by a rabid 'possum.  He was running his trap line and it was in one of his traps.  After he shot the thing 9 times (at least that all the times he claimed to have shot it.), he got himself and the thing to an ER.  They tested it but he still got to take all the shots.  He was not impressed.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:47:41 AM EDT
[#7]
many.

the last one was a Horse where I think 11 people had to have Rabies therapy
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#8]
One skunk, one coon.  Symptoms close enough to rabies that I just assumed it was.  Neither spread whatever they had beyond our meeting.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:12:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Two skunks on my property .

My Lab stomped in one to death and I gave the other a 12 gauge load of #8s at 20’.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:17:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Waldo:

I can't really say. I've seen some strange daytime behavior out of skunks and coons before. But I have mo idea if it was rabies or some other illness.
View Quote

I think distemper can mess up behavior pretty badly and the symptoms are similar.
Brain test for rabies, lungs for distemper ( I think ).
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:23:16 AM EDT
[#11]
No but I thought I had.

I picked up a stray kitten and took him home.  I'm laying down watching TV and the little guy is sleeping on my bare chest.

I feel four feet worth of claws sink into me and when I look down I see his head sideways twitching and foaming at the mouth.  

I knock him off me and stand up in one motion and he starts slow walking backwards around the recliner twitching and foaming like something out of a modern horror movie.  About the second lap he snaps out of it and acts confused.

Took him to the vet and he had a seizure.  He had one while he was with them too.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:35:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Every time I see a democrat.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:37:26 AM EDT
[#13]
a raccoon standing in my yard eating it's own face and walking towards me. On halloween. We had just had a murder in the 'hood so I didn't shoot it
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:37:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I saw a coon out in mid-day once acting a bit odd. Had the 10/22 handy.

Didn’t have it tested.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:38:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Racoon. I fixed it with a 12ga.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:41:30 AM EDT
[#16]
A skunk at a construction site I was on. We shot it and buried the body deep.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:41:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Just moved into our house in the county.  A skunk ran out of the woods into our yard coming after the wife during the day.  She dumped a mag from her G26 into it.  Karen came running out of the house yelling at her, “You can’t shoot a gun out here.”  My wife says, “It’s the county dumbass.  Go back inside.”
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By VinceU1:
My brother got bit by a rabid 'possum.  He was running his trap line and it was in one of his traps.  After he shot the thing 9 times (at least that all the times he claimed to have shot it.), he got himself and the thing to an ER.  They tested it but he still got to take all the shots.  He was not impressed.
View Quote

That's interesting.  Possums are one of the few animals that basically cannot get rabies, or are at least extremely resistant to it.

I've seen a rabid fox and a rabid raccoon.  

The fox was way back in the woods when I was a kid.  None of the grownups I was with had a gun, but as we stood there, some dudes came by trespassing on my grandfather's property and had a rifle.  (This was a few days before PA deer season.)  PGC had no interest in trekking to where it was and ask if we'd burn it with some fuel then bury the remnants.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:53:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Once. A fox that was acting weird and was approaching while I was mowing around my office in the woods. Went back in and grabbed a shotgun, rode around mowing and it approached me again.
It stumbled around and was definitely not healthy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#20]
skunk drooling stumbling around falling over middle of a hot spring day in the sun
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:31:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: akguy1985] [#21]
Saw a possum with something a few years ago. It was out during the day and was acting weird. A .22 pellet to the head ended it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Coyote pup. Was just laying alongside the park trail like it was sleeping. Acted lethargic, no foaming, not aggressive at all. Told the animal rescue people about it. They came and got it, took to the vet. Tested positive for rabies.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#23]
A bat that was almost certainly rabid flew up to me and bounced off my hand one night.  It flew away like it was drunk, definitely not a normal "zoom around in circles under a streetlight" flight pattern.

Then the fucking incompetent quacks tried to talk me out of getting post-exposure treatment.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Coon which also had babies with it.

Called animal control since I live in a suburban area. They didn't care.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#25]
A coon standing in my yard just staring off in to space, did not care that my dogs were barking at it from 10 feet. It just sort of sat there swaying back and forth, I took a shot at it and missed and it did not even care. It cared when the second shot hit it, but not much, for a few seconds anyways.

Also saw one in the road a 1/2 mile from house chasing cars as they slowly drove around it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Yeah. Raccoon and a few dogs in Iraq
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:24:39 AM EDT
[#27]
I've seen a couple of nocturnal animals out in the broad daylight acting very strangely, but I have no way of telling if rabies was the culprit.

They were sick, so I gave them a wide berth. Better safe than not.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#28]
As a kid (70's) I recall seeing rabid dogs.  It seemed more common back then.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Shadyman:
Coyote pup. Was just laying alongside the park trail like it was sleeping. Acted lethargic, no foaming, not aggressive at all. Told the animal rescue people about it. They came and got it, took to the vet. Tested positive for rabies.
View Quote

I think rabies would be particularly bad in a pack of coyotes. I live in the sticks and have often heard what sounds like huge groups of them "fire up" vocally. A few times, it sounded like 30 or more carrying on at one time. No way to really know the count just using my ears. Regardless, sometimes it sounds like 50 of them raising hell. Even if only 10 gathered like that, it seems that one rabid member could spread the disease fast.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Foxes,dogs,yotes,coons and wolves.

Luckly most from a far enough distance.
A few foxes were close up though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Had a rabid raccoon blocking the runway of our small airport the other day, going in circles and rolling around acting really weird. Nothing my suppressed CZ457 and a shallow grave behind the hanger couldn't fix.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Raccoon in town.  Dog catcher and police wouldnt do anything about it and preferred to let nature take its course. With kids all around.  

so I ran it over and disposed of it   Poor thing was looking at me as if he was asking to be out out of his misery.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:22:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: miseses] [#33]
Woke up with a rabid bat.

Cat wasn't a fan of its behavior and killed it.

Took cat to vet and had it topped up on rabies vaccines for like $60.  Thankfully cat had already had shot that year so it did just fine.  The county quarantined the cat inside my house, came back later and they looked at the cat saw it was a cat and that was the end of that.

As for me, ha the rabies vaccine was going to be like 20 grand.  Not sure if it scratched me in my sleep but  I took my chances, seeing as I would have been homeless and bankrupt if I had got it.  It's been over a decade and I never got rabies so it looks like I've survived.  Too bad vet couldn't have shot me with the vaccine for an extra 60 bucks like the cat.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By VinceU1:
View Quote

A rabid opossum is rare. Their body temp is very low and they aren’t known to be carriers. Have a lot of them here.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#35]
I got bit by a stray dog in December.  Since it was a stray, they put me through the rabies series.  There's more to it than you think.

So ask me anything you want to know about the rabies series.  Since I've been there I can probably answer your questions.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Raccoon, but it could've been distemper... Shot, buried, and moved on with the day. That was once in my 40 years.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#37]
One in Greenland of all places.  Rabid sled dog with the harness still attached.  Jumped into the bed of a parked truck and watched it attack the tire. The Danish police inspector shot it, removed the head and sent it off for testing.  Came back positive. I was glad I was next to that truck. Apparently the natives will just cut a dog loose if it gets sick.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes. Fox came in our yard and tried to attack us. My father killed him and had his head sent off. Came back positive. We had to quarantine our dog for 21 days. This was many years ago.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Raccoon on our front porch one night. Pretty sure distemper, not rabies. Just pacing back and forth, no reaction at all to my dog barking through the glass door or me yelling at it. No aggression, just completely nonreactive. Cracked the door enough to reach out with my daughter's little Cricket .22 and put it out of its misery. Saw another raccoon wandering around the parking lot of a place I worked many years ago. Acting weird, walking all crooked. It disappeared into the woods. I'd guess rabies, but don't know for sure. Both of these were in FL.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#40]
When I was very small, my family was visiting Tecate Mexico to eat out, and there was a rabid dog on the street that was shot by a Mexican cop.

I did kill a bobcat that was eating a chicken maybe 15 years ago. I walked up close and it growled at me, so I shot it. I was surprised it didn't run away.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Shot a lot of animals that weren't acting right, no idea if it was rabies, distemper or golden malrin.

The last doesn't always kill immediately.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Watched a skunk waddling through our backyard midday in full sunshine.  In the city limits so let it go where it was going.  Just made sure the dogs were inside.  No idea what happened to it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Several and shot them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Spoke to the animal control officer in my town of 30k after I was bitten by a loose dog. He said the last case of a domestic pet to test positive for rabies was in 1956. I thought it was much more common than that.

I've seen a couple of odd acting wild animals, but didn't see any obvious signs of rabies.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Rabid dog my grandpa sprayed it with water in the face to keep it away.  Rabid animals are hydrophobic I later learned in life.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#48]
I always give space to coyotes out in the middle of the day in AZ.

I think maybe the neighbor’s dog when I was a kid. It was put down the day it flipped it’s shit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Skunk walking down the road.

Next day found it smooshed across from our house.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Rabies is scary as fuck, and a bizarre disease.  100% fatal if not treated.
View Quote

They've pulled a few people through it with extreme medical intervention, but IIRC none of them were "quite right" again, with varying degrees of intellectual disability afterward.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top