Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/1/2024 12:50:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:00:33 AM EDT
[#1]
They must be getting truly drone fucked if this is their solution.

Good look at a turtle tank
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:02:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:05:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I mean you hit them where the armor is weak... Ok they just add armor to those areas.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:08:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Ukraine will next add sticky stuff to their bomblets.  Make a hole in the sheet metal with a sticky bomb, then drop the next one.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:17:57 AM EDT
[#5]
In 1972, a gopnik conscript unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they actually committed. These men eventually escaped from a minimum security gulag to the Russian underground. Today, still not wanted by the government they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if they aren't all passed out drunk....maybe you can hire: The Backwards-R-Team.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:46:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Dammit, now you got that damn song playing in my head!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:11:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I can't wait to see what a Beirut size nook is going to look like from drone.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:17:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I remember reading the large Ukraine GD thread where the usual peanut gallery were laughing at the Russians for putting "Cuck Cages" on their tanks.

Now it's just the standard for everyone, even the Israelis.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:32:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I remember reading the large Ukraine GD thread where the usual peanut gallery were laughing at the Russians for putting "Cuck Cages" on their tanks.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/132893/Screenshot_20240501_131508_Samsung_Inter-3202599.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/132893/Screenshot_20240501_131508_Samsung_Inter-3202599.JPG

“Cope Cages”.   For Coping, with drones.    And yeah, when a drone can drop a grenade through your hatch at any time, you kinda need some overhead cover at a bare minimum.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:39:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Will be neat to see when the Orc Cope CIWS makes its debut. Zapping cheap drones like a bug lantern in Pokrovsk or somewhere

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:45:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Russians originally intended them to stop javelins.

That didn't work. That's why we mock them.

They still don't stop drones.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:51:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Soldiers improvising and adapting on the battlefield is certainly nothing new.  I remember seeing a whole book of pictures of just US gun trucks in Vietnam; mods like mounting m113 bodies on the back of 5 tons wasn't uncommon.   There were a lot of Mad Max looking Hummers and other vehicles running around Iraq before the uparmored packages started showing up.  RPG cages were common on Strikers and stuff too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:52:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

“Cope Cages”.   For Coping, with drones.    And yeah, when a drone can drop a grenade through your hatch at any time, you kinda need some overhead cover at a bare minimum.
View Quote

That's the terminology now, it wasn't back then (at least on the Chans when this was first discussed)
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:54:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The Russians originally intended them to stop javelins.

That didn't work. That's why we mock them.

They still don't stop drones.

View Quote

That's not accurate at all.

The IDF isn't dumb and they've adopted this

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:59:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/132893/idf-merkava-mk-3-tank-with-a-new-probabl-3202619.JPG
View Quote
I mean, who doesn't want to fight in the shade?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:00:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I mean, who doesn't want to fight in the shade?
View Quote

I get that reference
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:01:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is accurate.

They knew about loitering munitions but Ukraine had received Javelins under trump years earlier which was the entire reason they were developed. The above pic was at the end of 2021.

Attachment Attached File

How effective was this cope cage, again?

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:03:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Would not surprise me if the Abrams got their own cope cages in the next decade. I'm sure they're avoiding it now to maintain integrity but it certainly parallels the helmets vs kepis of WW1.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:08:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It is accurate.

https://i.postimg.cc/50jRMrpN/1647896027181-126-72-3-430-431-2021-1.webp

They knew about loitering munitions but Ukraine had received Javelins under trump years earlier which was the entire reason they were developed. The above pic was at the end of 2021.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51435/Screenshot_2024-05-01_020110_png-3202621.JPG

View Quote

The IDF adopted them several years after their introduction.

It's def not a silver bullet to drones (nothing is) but you'll be seeing a lot more of this and not less
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:09:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Looks like one of the German turret designs in World of Tanks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:18:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Don't you just put a small pre-warhead on your munition to blast through l, and the main body passes through that hole to impact?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:34:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
That looks like the dual use of multi-layer protection plus the "I am a storage shed" look to fool autonomous AI terminator drones.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:34:27 AM EDT
[#23]
next generation of tank design, the cope cage function will be integrated in the overall design from the get-go.  maybe it will be all turtle.

now it's just an band-aid add-on, to deal with drone warfare.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:35:09 AM EDT
[#24]
The conclusion I’ve reached is that these turtle tanks are an attempt to conceal weak points from small, inexpensive commercial drones with minimal payloads. Rather than meaningful uparmoring.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:01:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The conclusion I’ve reached is that these turtle tanks are an attempt to conceal weak points from small, inexpensive commercial drones with minimal payloads. Rather than meaningful uparmoring.
View Quote

It's also panic and desperation from tank crews / units. Russian armor losses are astounding relative to the amount of ground being gained. Those at risk are doing anything they can to try and improve their chances, which is why you see so many absurd and unusual measures taken.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:34:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are not wrong
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:45:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It's also panic and desperation from tank crews / units. Russian armor losses are astounding relative to the amount of ground being gained. Those at risk are doing anything they can to try and improve their chances, which is why you see so many absurd and unusual measures taken.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of the WWII M4 Sherman up armoring in the ETO was along the same lines. Desperate crews trying to come up with a solution against big German guns and shaped charged rocket launchers.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#28]
I don’t know why anyone bothers posting anything when FS knows everything you bunch of idiots…..lol
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
In 1972, a gopnik conscript unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they actually committed. These men eventually escaped from a minimum security gulag to the Russian underground. Today, still not wanted by the government they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if they aren't all passed out drunk....maybe you can hire: The Backwards-R-Team.
View Quote

[chuckle]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Don't you just put a small pre-warhead on your munition to blast through l, and the main body passes through that hole to impact?
View Quote

Or a stand-off EFP. The jet will go through both sides of that thing like butter.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:20:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Early in the war we laughed at their cope cages because they were an attempt to stop the top-attack ATGM's like the Javelin. Eventually as the Jav's (and everything else) ran low/out the drones appeared and saved the day. But yeah, those anti-drone cages must have some benefits since EVERYONE is using them. If it looks stupid but works, it's not stupid.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:21:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/132893/idf-merkava-mk-3-tank-with-a-new-probabl-3202619.JPG
View Quote

"Our drones will blot out the sun!"....

..."then we will fight in the shade"...
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Would not surprise me if the Abrams got their own cope cages in the next decade. I'm sure they're avoiding it now to maintain integrity but it certainly parallels the helmets vs kepis of WW1.
View Quote

We will develop a drone defense that will cost 20 million per tank and work just as good as the cope cage.

Actually I think it IS possible that some EW solution comes up that totally negates all drones as a threat. Then something else will be developed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:28:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The IDF adopted them several years after their introduction.

It's def not a silver bullet to drones (nothing is) but you'll be seeing a lot more of this and not less
View Quote

The simple top cage or "Bimini Top" (boating term) is probably effective against drone dropped bombs and grenades, especially when parked and the hatches are open. But against the kamikaze drones sporting the RPG warhead that comes in horizontal...worthless. The Russian turtle tank is an attempt to stop the kamikaze drones and forces the drones to attack the front of the tank, where it can withstand the RPG instead of the rear deck and turret ring that was causing a LOT of kabooms. It's probably somewhat effective.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Or a stand-off EFP. The jet will go through both sides of that thing like butter.
View Quote

Or tandem warheads...But the drones are about maxed out for weight/range battery power etc and the UA doesnt have limitless amounts of fancy ordinance they can modify. In some cases they have repurposed EX from ERA panels from knocked out tanks for drone use. Both the UA and the RU are doing weird, imperfect, sometimes bizzarro shit trying to stay alive under the very difficult equipment and supply limitations.

In a peer conflict where the first few weeks, months, years, of furious missile launches and high-tech wizardry going boom, we grind each other down into a stalemate (like Ukraine or WWI) we would very much end up in a similar Mad Max type struggle, cobbling together what we can.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:42:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Or tandem warheads...But the drones are about maxed out for weight/range battery power etc and the UA doesnt have limitless amounts of fancy ordinance they can modify. In some cases they have repurposed EX from ERA panels from knocked out tanks for drone use. Both the UA and the RU are doing weird, imperfect, sometimes bizzarro shit trying to stay alive under the very difficult equipment and supply limitations.

In a peer conflict where the first few weeks, months, years, of furious missile launches and high-tech wizardry going boom, we grind each other down into a stalemate (like Ukraine or WWI) we would very much end up in a similar Mad Max type struggle, cobbling together what we can.
View Quote
On Oct 7, Hamas was dropping tandem head RPG rounds from drones

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, Russia's going to run out of tanks any day now.  And missiles and ammunition, too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:50:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Early in the war we laughed at their cope cages because they were an attempt to stop the top-attack ATGM's like the Javelin. Eventually as the Jav's (and everything else) ran low/out the drones appeared and saved the day. But yeah, those anti-drone cages must have some benefits since EVERYONE is using them. If it looks stupid but works, it's not stupid.
View Quote
It depends on who uses it.  If it's Russia, then it's a desperate but failed attempt by those vodka-sodden Vatniks to survive the mighty assaults of superior NATO weaponry.

If it's Ukraine or Israel, then it's a smart cost-effective measure to neutralize enemy weapons and we should emulate it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:25:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Sort of like WWII torpedo blisters.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:27:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Remember the Stryker camo netting and RPG cages?

Looked like a fucking gypsy wagon.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It is accurate.

https://i.postimg.cc/50jRMrpN/1647896027181-126-72-3-430-431-2021-1.webp

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51435/Screenshot_2024-05-01_020110_png-3202621.JPG

View Quote

Drones...

Drones...

The IDF isn't dealing with Javi's

Top cover will provide some standoff for many Uke drone delivered packages, Javi's are another matter entirely.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Leonardo saw the future.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#46]
The tool shed armor seems to work against drones to some extent but there must be a huge tradeoff.  The tank is about 10X easier to spot than before and will be an even bigger shit magnet than usual, the turret firing arc can't be more than 25 degrees or so, and situational awareness - which already sucks in all tanks and doubly so old Russian tanks - must be hovering just above zero.  So yeah, it's harder to kill, but now it can hardly fight at all, so....
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:46:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Added benefit of fighting in the shade
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Remember the Stryker camo netting and RPG cages?

Looked like a fucking gypsy wagon.
View Quote

I remember using Hesco baskets to make curved roofs for grenade protection on our turrets and pvc pipe to redirect power lines over our MRAPs in Iraq over a decade ago.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#49]
So Instead of dropping the explosive ontop of the turtle tank, they will just kamakazie fly it into the frint? or have the explisve hang by a rope and fly it into the front?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I remember using Hesco baskets to make curved roofs for grenade protection on our turrets and pvc pipe to redirect power lines over our MRAPs in Iraq over a decade ago.
View Quote

Under that cover was my home for 15 months.

One of the few times I rode in an armored vehicle I actually got hit with a hand grenade, imagine that.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top