Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/30/2024 9:33:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GenYRevolverGuy]
A couple years ago, nobody was making A2 stuff. A bunch of companies were making A4s, and some of those companies were calling those A4s A2s, but you couldn't really get an A2 without digging up an old upper somewhere and building around it yourself.

Then one day, a holding group bought the rights to an old gun company's branding and IP, and they hired a retro rifle nerd to run it, and now there's a shift. H&R released A1s first, then A2s started shipping a year or so ago, and they've been a hit.

SA-16A2 - Springfield Armory®

It's going to be fun to see how far this goes.

Personally, I didn't love the A2 when I was in the Army. The examples I was issued were mostly older than I was and it showed, and every USGI magazine I was ever issued before I deployed should have been smashed and trashed. Also, GI triggers are what they are, and the training wasn't very good. The marksmanship training was so poor, many (most?) of us couldn't hit the 300M targets with confidence, and bad maintenance practices caused reliability issues.

I learned a hell of a lot more about shooting techniques and firearms maintenance towards the end of my career and after I got out than I ever did when I was in.

I recently acquired my first civilian A2:

I dropped a trigger in it, lubed it up, and took it out, and it actually kind of rips. I was pinging the 300 yard target casually, I had a good hit rate at 400 with some effort, and 550 was a bit tough, but it was hard to see the target.

The 0-2 aperture was also way more useful than I remember it being. I could get the A2 on targets from 50-200 with that aperture about as fast as I could my TA-31 ACOG.

I bought this A2 as a range toy, training rifle, and Memberberries item, but my confidence in it is high. I'm going to put a loaded mag in that force pro pouch and keep it handy.

Anyways, I don't have much love for Springfield, but I'm glad they're doing this, and I hope this trend grows a bit more.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:04:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:

Does the M16A3 actually exist in the real world?

I've never seen one nor have I ever met anyone who was issued one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DoubleARon:
The M16A3 was better than the M16A2. I'm right. You know I am. If you disagree your bad and you should feel bad.

One of the Navy Corpsman attached to my unit for my 2005 deployment to Iraq had one. Flat-top upper with A2 handguards. The receiver was originally marked "M16A2," but the "A2 marking was X-ed out and replaced with an "A3" marking. It was the only one I had ever seen. I'm pretty sure I have a pic of it on one of my hard drives.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:

LOL, you should have tried going thru boot camp with an old A1 that rattled like a box of screws and always felt like it was going to fall apart.  I didn't get an A2 until about year into my first duty assignment and right after qualifying with it, it was taken away and I was assigned an M3 Grease gun  I am pretty sure I was more accurate throwing a rock at the target.

Anyways, glad to see more choices being offered.
View Quote

I did Basic with an A1.   Qualified with a 39/40 with it.  Great little gun.   I didn't like the brass hitting me in the face though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#3]

LOL, you should have tried going thru boot camp with an old A1 that rattled like a box of screws and always felt like it was going to fall apart.  I didn't get an A2 until about year into my first duty assignment and right after qualifying with it, it was taken away and I was assigned an M3 Grease gun  I am pretty sure I was more accurate throwing a rock at the target.

View All Quotes

Personally, I didn't love the A2 when I was in the Army. The examples I was issued were mostly older than I was and it showed, and every USGI magazine I was ever issued before I deployed should have been smashed and trashed.

I went through basic in 2006. Most of us had A2s built on A1 receivers. My first one was actually an H&R which means it was built between 1968 and 1971. As a teenager, I was issued a rifle that was 35-40 years old and updated to a specification that was 25 years old at the time. It was plainly obvious that these rifles were decades old, had been in the basic training environment for a while, and in retrospect, parts had possibly been to Vietnam.

I'm pretty sure the M16A2s I was issued at Ft. Hood, including the one I carried for the first few months of my deployment, were FNs.

When I did a brief stop in the NG after I left active duty, we had GM HydraMatic A2s in the armory. This was in 2012. I think all of those rifles, at least the lowers, would have been built in 1969 or 1970. These were 43 year old rifles still in inventory with a deployable unit.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:
I don't understand the retro fascination. It's going backwards on purpose. Things have been updated and modernized for a reason.
View Quote

Why have any gun that doesn't have a modern (last ~10 years) design and manufacture? They're still fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:10:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I did my time in the USMC with it and have not found much into building one myself. Back in the days of gun shows and the pre internet ways of SOG magazine I didn't pick it up (pre money).

I would love to put one together that was carried. Good to know!
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I put together a good copy of an A2 and a good friend engraved the lower with my years of service. It is one of my best rifles. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:16:53 AM EDT
[#7]

I went through basic in 2006. Most of us had A2s built on A1 receivers. My first one was actually an H&R which means it was built between 1968 and 1971. As a teenager, I was issued a rifle that was 35-40 years old and updated to a specification that was 25 years old at the time. It was plainly obvious that these rifles were decades old, had been in the basic training environment for a while, and in retrospect, parts had possibly been to Vietnam.

I'm pretty sure the M16A2s I was issued at Ft. Hood, including the one I carried for the first few months of my deployment, were FNs.

When I did a brief stop in the NG after I left active duty, we had GM HydraMatic A2s in the armory. This was in 2012. I think all of those rifles, at least the lowers, would have been built in 1969 or 1970. These were 43 year old rifles still in inventory with a deployable unit.
View All Quotes

Personally, I didn't love the A2 when I was in the Army. The examples I was issued were mostly older than I was and it showed, and every USGI magazine I was ever issued before I deployed should have been smashed and trashed.

Basic in 2008 at Ft. Benning, everyone had (FN) M16A4s except for the guys in Infantry OSUT who had M4s with M68s.

The armory at OCS was full of A1s though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Ex0331:
I did my time in the USMC with it and have not found much into building one myself. Back in the days of gun shows and the pre internet ways of SOG magazine I didn't pick it up (pre money).

I would love to put one together that was carried. Good to know!
View Quote

It was tough finding an A2 upper and a proper barrel when I built my A2 copy. Even more tough was being sure of feed ramp compatibility. Now complete A2 rifles are available factory-built from multiple companies. Crazy times.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SGT_Tentpeg:
M16 is a full automatic weapon.  Do they mean AR15?
View Quote
This is Springfield we are talking about.  Be thankful that they didn't name it, " The Flatulator " or some other nonsense.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
This is Springfield we are talking about.  Be thankful that they didn't name it, " The Flatulator " or some other nonsense.
View Quote

Right, or have the A2 grip and handguards emblazoned with "GRIP ZONE"
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

The AR-15 is a full auto weapon.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#13]
This reminds me that I need an M16A2 clone.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't understand the retro fascination. It's going backwards on purpose. Things have been updated and modernized for a reason.
View Quote

By this logic I should throw away my M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, and 1911.

(its ok to own guns for purposes of fun and recreation)
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:44:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VTD] [#15]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
View Quote
Has to have hell in it.

The Springfield "HellifIknow" ?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#16]

I was in the Army for 6 years and I never saw a range set up to shoot paper at 300.

We had these:

https://invtactical.com/cdn/shop/products/25-meter-m16a2-zeroing-target-alt-c2-shooting-targets-305621.jpg?v=1693729298
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mcantu:
Originally Posted By djkest:

We always did 25-meter paper targets and then moved the rear sight aperture two clicks.

That's a preliminary zero, not confirmation. Confirmation would be done at 300

I was in the Army for 6 years and I never saw a range set up to shoot paper at 300.

We had these:

https://invtactical.com/cdn/shop/products/25-meter-m16a2-zeroing-target-alt-c2-shooting-targets-305621.jpg?v=1693729298

Same. 25m paper targets to zero and then to a 300m pop-up range or a 25m paper qualification target with all the pop-up silhouettes printed on it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Nope
20" A2 is peak
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Kalahnikid:

View Quote
And your Model 70s, Remington 700s, Mossberg pumps, your Remington pumps, your Weatherby
rifles, and in 2024, your Glocks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

The biggest reason that soldiers struggled with the more distant targets is that the rifles were never fully zeroed in many units.

As a civilian would you consider your rifle properly zeroed with out confirmation at range?
View Quote

I always missed the 150 and 200. 25 meter zero is really stupid.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes
The M16A3 was better than the M16A2. I'm right. You know I am. If you disagree your bad and you should feel bad.

I've only seen them once in 2003. OK NG Artillery unit.  Flat top with shiny new ACOGs.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

Even then, these are still AR15s. You're a carry handle optic mount and a FSB light mount away from being level with the modern field.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Even then, these are still AR15s. You're a carry handle optic mount and a FSB light mount away from being level with the modern field.
View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File

Yup! My project from last weekend.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I think the M16A2 is the worst version.

I still want one with a TA31 and a RAS though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:37:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
I think the M16A2 is the worst version.

I still want one with a TA31 and a RAS though.
View Quote

Wouldn't that be an A4?

I want to set my 20" PSA kit like that but for now it's going to have a detachable carry handle and A2 guards. Is that the A3?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
Not MD legal
View Quote

I was just in a MD gunstore yesterday trying to decipher exactly what is and isn't MD legal. I live in WV, but do my shooting at my moms place in MD. I have an AUG and X95 I would like to sight in, I think we determined that the AUG is maybe legal, and the Tavor probably not.

In other words, who exactly knows what is MD legal
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By colklink:

I was just in a MD gunstore yesterday trying to decipher exactly what is and isn't MD legal. I live in WV, but do my shooting at my moms place in MD. I have an AUG and X95 I would like to sight in, I think we determined that the AUG is maybe legal, and the Tavor probably not.

In other words, who exactly knows what is MD legal
View Quote
I think MD legal is a subjective opinion from some cop at the state level based his feelings on the barrel profile.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By JamesJones:

Wouldn't that be an A4?

I want to set my 20" PSA kit like that but for now it's going to have a detachable carry handle and A2 guards. Is that the A3?
View Quote

Yep that would be the A4 with the flat top.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I think MD legal is a subjective opinion from some cop at the state level based his feelings on the barrel profile.
View Quote

Yep. And ARs are legal in MD. No M4 profile barrels, no pencil barrels. Heavy barrels, even with bayonet lugs, threaded muzzles and collapsible stocks are legal. I generally just take my Ruger AR556 to shoot, that is 100% MD compliant.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Might not be the greatest if it was your only AR, but there are things to like about them. They just have cleaner lines and less things to fiddle with. I like how A1 handguards feel more than probably any other I’ve tried.

As another poster mentioned, if you needed to you could add an optic and light to a retro AR and it’ll keep up with whatever is current today.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By STL_Nik:
ARF loves to gobble SA cock while shunning every other company who as much as farted near the 2nd amendment.  This place never fails to surprise me.

FUCK SPRINGFIELD ARMORY from the gun owners of Illinois.
View Quote

As a former IL gun owing resident I have to agree. Not sure I understand how they get a pass for screwing over IL folks but whatever.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#31]

We had these:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mcantu:
Originally Posted By djkest:

We always did 25-meter paper targets and then moved the rear sight aperture two clicks.

That's a preliminary zero, not confirmation. Confirmation would be done at 300

We had these:

I think that was the point the poster was making.  That you only confirm you zero at the qual range when you are in the Military.

They don't have you take your newly zero'd rifle to a known distance range shoot at the 100-300m targets then go back to zeroing if you screwed up.

Which means lot's of zero's for riflemen were really "close enough" as opposed to "confirmed zero." It's honestly not enough trigger time if you want the best.  But it's Gov we're talking about so "close enough" is "good enough for government work."
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Just based on seeing some newer shooters at the range, they'd benefit from starting over with iron sights and learning to actually shoot before slapping various optics on their guns.  Yes, I like A1 uppers as well as 20" A2s.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

DerpyDerpaDerpDerpDerp.

You know, you’re gonna shit when you find out LRB and JRA call their GI M14 clones an “M14.”
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#34]
ARF loves to gobble SA cock while shunning every other company who as much as farted near the 2nd amendment.  This place never fails to surprise me.

View Quote

This should’ve been the first post.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:27:21 PM EDT
[#35]
A couple years ago, nobody was making A2 stuff. A bunch of companies were making A4s, and some of those companies were calling those A4s A2s, but you couldn't really get an A2 without digging up an old upper somewhere and building around it yourself.

Then one day, a holding group bought the rights to an old gun company's branding and IP, and they hired a retro rifle nerd to run it, and now there's a shift. H&R released A1s first, then A2s started shipping a year or so ago, and they've been a hit.

https://files.springfield-armory.com/wp-content/uploads/model-hero-sa16-rifle-2200x1257-3.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwuKAESTsYo

It's going to be fun to see how far this goes.

Personally, I didn't love the A2 when I was in the Army. The examples I was issued were mostly older than I was and it showed, and every USGI magazine I was ever issued before I deployed should have been smashed and trashed. Also, GI triggers are what they are, and the training wasn't very good. The marksmanship training was so poor, many (most?) of us couldn't hit the 300M targets with confidence, and bad maintenance practices caused reliability issues.

I learned a hell of a lot more about shooting techniques and firearms maintenance towards the end of my career and after I got out than I ever did when I was in.

I recently acquired my first civilian A2:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257918/IMG_9632-3183526.jpg

I dropped a trigger in it, lubed it up, and took it out, and it actually kind of rips. I was pinging the 300 yard target casually, I had a good hit rate at 400 with some effort, and 550 was a bit tough, but it was hard to see the target.

The 0-2 aperture was also way more useful than I remember it being. I could get the A2 on targets from 50-200 with that aperture about as fast as I could my TA-31 ACOG.

I bought this A2 as a range toy, training rifle, and Memberberries item, but my confidence in it is high. I'm going to put a loaded mag in that force pro pouch and keep it handy.

Anyways, I don't have much love for Springfield, but I'm glad they're doing this, and I hope this trend grows a bit more.
View Quote

Always glad to see a decent A2 offering.
But that Fritz cover on a steel pot gives me Forrest Whitaker eye.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By crusaderf8u:

As a former IL gun owing resident I have to agree. Not sure I understand how they get a pass for screwing over IL folks but whatever.
View All Quotes

Because they didn't actually
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By tommyrich:
One of my very first AR's was a Colt 6600. Still have it and will never sell it, and to this day one of my favorites to shoot.
View Quote

My first AR was a budget parts-bin rifle in an A2 HBAR configuration I bought around '92.

I got other rifles and kinda lost interest in it. Then, many years ago, I took it apart to sell the stripped lower to an Arfcommer in CT.

A couple of weeks ago, I put it back together with a PSA lower from the parts box. I haven't taken it to the range yet. I'm missing a trigger guard and the buffer retainer is bent, so I have to get those. I took a pic to show my buddy that it bit me right after I put it together. I think it was angry about all those years stuck in the safe.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:43:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gearjammer351] [#38]

3) The 20" M16s are actually great rifles for a variety of reasons including superior external and terminal ballistics, the rifle length gas system, and some of the best iron sights fielded on any rifle ever.
4) 20" guns just plain shoot better than 16" guns, M4s, or SBRs.
View Quote

Agreed.

Back in the 90s, they switched us (11C in a mech unit) from A2s to M4s gradually. Two guys from each vehicle got the M4 and the others kept their A2.

The next qual, I couldn't hit all the targets with the M4. I hated the idea of removing my 'expert' badge, so I begged to try again - still didn't get expert.

Third try, I borrowed my gunner's A2 and hit 40/40.

Maybe I didn't get a good enough zero or something, but I have always shot better with a 20" rifle anyway (with irons, that is).
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#39]
An A2 with a carry handle mounted TA-01 ACOG.  If you can see the target you can hit it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Action45:
More retro options is never a bad thing
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 03RN:

They did, but when called-out on it, they shit-canned the company they hired to do the political lobbying for them and apologized. Whether or not they knew what was going on, only insiders would know. Damage was done, already.

Rock River Arms was also using the same lobbying company and if I remember correctly, never took it back. The lobbying group expected the anti-2A bill to pass and got specific carveouts for their corporate clients like SA and RRA.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
Not MD legal
View Quote
move to a free state?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#43]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60275/20240428_095823a_png-3200342.JPG

View Quote
TIA, eh danny?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
TIA, eh danny?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60275/20240428_095823a_png-3200342.JPG

TIA, eh danny?

Danny's gone, I'll be outside.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#45]
I never had an issue with Colt A2s. The FNs were the real nightmares once we got those
The mag issue was real. Units should have been DXing 10% of their mags every year but hung onto them until they were literally junk
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#46]
We almost always did confirmation zeros before scored quals. I remain convinced the marksmanship struggles were 80% training and 20% the GI trigger.
View Quote

The "GI" trigger being the burst FCG, which is horrible and whoever adopted it should be pummeled.

The regular FA trigger from the A1, Navy models or unit COTS purchases is not bad especially when worn (or cleaned up).
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Springfield still doesn’t make a SA-35 with an optics cut and accessory rail but they can pump out this carry handle bullshit 😑
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:
Springfield still doesn't make a SA-35 with an optics cut and accessory rail but they can pump out this carry handle bullshit  
View Quote
i still haven't found a goddamn SA35 for sale after two years of vaporware from SA.

@springfieldarmory
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#49]

Danny's gone, I'll be outside.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Deployed with the same A2 twice. Longer and a little cumbersome, but I can still handle it like an extension of myself after nearly 20 years. I’ve built two and plan to have one engraved with my SN.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top