Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/30/2024 1:43:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thesilvercord]
Attachment Attached File

You walk out of a store in the city. See a person down on the ground with a vehicle right next to him. The driver pulls out a handgun and points it straight at you. You are armed (concealed carry).

Do you stand your ground, draw and fire, knowing you’ve already been beat?

Do you try to reason with the armed driver?

Are you moving off center? Are you moving left? Right? Down? Are you drawing while moving or focusing 100% on getting out of there?

What would your actions be?

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
can't beat a drawn gun.  I'm moving to my left, his right to put his a-pillar/windshield between me and him as quickly as possible in search of cover.  Of course I'm drawing in preparation for a fight, but not getting shot is priority 1.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Walk away.. do I look like the police to you?

I have no idea why a dude is down. Could be an attempted car jacking as far as I know.

Myob
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:47:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thesilvercord] [#3]
This was a real “road rage” situation that happened in Portland. The observer who took that photo was shot at a couple times and struck in the leg.

Thought it would be a good thought exercise.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Move towards cover while drawing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I whip out my dick and start swinging it in a circular motion while yelling ‘helicopter , helicopter, HELICOPTER’ loudly in hopes to reset the gunners OODA loop long enough for me to get to safety or put rounds down range.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By delemorte:
Walk away.. do I look like the police to you?

I have no idea why a dude is down. Could be an attempted car jacking as far as I know.

Myob
View Quote

If someone points a gun at an innocent bystander, I'm not going to assume they're a victim of an attempted car-jacking.  True that you've walked into the middle of an unknown, but his pointing a gun at me means he identifies me as a threat or means to do me harm.  I'm not "walking away", I'm "getting off the X", to Yaeger-ize it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By thesilvercord:
You walk out of a store in the city.

View Quote

Hustle my fat ass right back in that store
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By kcobean:
can't beat a drawn gun.  I'm moving to my left, his right to put his a-pillar/windshield between me and him as quickly as possible in search of cover.  Of course I'm drawing in preparation for a fight, but not getting shot is priority 1.
View Quote

This.

1.  I have no idea what happened here.
2.  MOVE!  You can't draw on a drawn gun without moving.
3.  Find Cover, call the police.  Wait.  Unless there's more activity/shooting/violence, I'm being a witness.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#9]
A prudent man observes things when walking out a door ,if glass, would have seen before or seen on opening door and not exit
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Sight alignment and trigger squeeze?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:53:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thesilvercord] [#11]
Originally Posted By crwdplsr:
Sight alignment and trigger squeeze?
View Quote

Sudden hand movements to waist area may result in the armed driver firing before you can fully draw. Are you taking that risk?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd get off the X and go from there.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#13]
This was a real “road rage” situation that happened in Portland. The observer who took that photo was shot at a couple times and struck in the leg.

View Quote

Link?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Not my circus, not my monkey!
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I am peeing myself, as a I run away. But as was said in that pic go to the left, only so much before he cant aim very well.

Then draw and get ready to fight back if needed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

This....and running away
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

This is what I was thinking. Gunman is right handed. Out in the open you’d want to move in the same direction against their natural range of motion (easier for right handed shooter to shoot straight and to their left). Shooter being in the vehicle, it would be even more be beneficial to move in this direction.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:00:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Logcutter:
I'd get off the X and go from there.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:00:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ranging-by-zipcode] [#19]
Hold up phone in hand and yell Halt !

Whip out phone and start thread and poll
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:01:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

Link?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

Link?

Older story but the purpose of me posting it here was for the thought exercise without knowing the details.

https://nypost.com/2023/10/15/portland-financier-geoffrey-hammond-kills-man-in-road-rage-shooting-before-taking-aim-at-filming-bystander/amp/
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Move right since it’ll be more difficult for him to accurately aim & I wouldn’t be running in front of the car…. That he could hit me with.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Get moving and get drawing. Hope he practices as much as the typical GDer.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#23]

This is what I was thinking. Gunman is right handed. Out in the open you’d want to move in the same direction against their natural range of motion (easier for right handed shooter to shoot straight and to their left). Shooter being in the vehicle, it would be even more be beneficial to move in this direction.
View All Quotes

I'm doing the opposite and moving right. Going left brings him the option to use the BIG weapon he's in the driver's seat of.

Once I'm clear to the rear of the car, it's harder for him to engage without exiting the car.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:03:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Is that a Browning Hi power?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#25]
This could happen in the suburbs.

What my next move is not: comply.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Walk backwards slowly and to my left until his arm hits the edge of the window (doubtful he'll realize it and maneuver until it's too late).

At that point I'm drawing and running for cover as fast as possible.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Get off the X.  I'd like to say I'll move left to make the A pillar a problem for the guy in the car, but who knows?  Look for cover while running.  I'll draw when I'm behind cover or concealment, because I'm not about to stop and square off on the guy and I'd prefer him to decide I'm not a threat and move on.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By tep0583:

I'm doing the opposite and moving right. Going left brings him the option to use the BIG weapon he's in the driver's seat of.

Once I'm clear to the rear of the car, it's harder for him to engage without exiting the car.
View All Quotes

I like that. Great point.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Hmmmm, stay calm.  
Act like you've been there before, and keep going on about your business .  Hope you are not shot.

(I've have indeed stared down the barrel of a handgun pointed at me before. Not a whole lot you can do.)
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Back up back into the store. Call 911. If I’m pursued then I would draw.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Yeahbut: His hands are on his gun and his mind is on his gun.  Even if you get in the path of his car, it's going to take him a second to transition to "Run that guy over" and you can use that second to keep running away
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#32]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327183/IMG_3273_jpeg-3202068.JPG

You walk out of a store in the city. See a person down on the ground with a vehicle right next to him. The driver pulls out a handgun and points it straight at you. You are armed (concealed carry).

Do you stand your ground, draw and fire, knowing you’ve already been beat?

Do you try to reason with the armed driver?

Are you moving off center? Are you moving left? Right? Down? Are you drawing while moving or focusing 100% on getting out of there?

View Quote

The pistol is aimed at my right side. I move to the left as quickly as possible. That does put me in front of his car but that's safer than being (nearly) in front of his gun. Then I concentrate on getting out of his car's path of travel and his line of fire. The front passenger side tire would be good cover as he can't run me over, and he can't shoot me from there without getting out of the car.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By doubleplusgood:
Is that a Browning Hi power?
View Quote

Looks like, good pairing with a Mercedes. Too bad their owner is a bit of a hothead.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Is he a CEO?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm beat at that point.

Fall to the ground sobbing, perhaps piss myself for effect. Hopefully they dismiss me as a threat and stop aiming at me, which would give me an opportunity to draw.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Moving across the front of the car to limit the angle of the guy with the gun while drawing and shooting them both, never can be to sure.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#38]
blade at a 45
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By wisbiker67:
Is he a CEO?
View Quote

Yes, CEO/owner of a financial company, but not anymore he isn’t.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Looks like Hunter Biden, I'd offer him crack and whores and we'd be best friends from there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:14:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By governmentman:
I'm beat at that point.

Fall to the ground sobbing, perhaps piss myself for effect. Hopefully they dismiss me as a threat and stop aiming at me, which would give me an opportunity to draw.
View Quote

The guy he shot in the chest did similar, pleading for his life. The shooter tried to shoot him again but the gun jammed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#42]
OK, I'll contribute.

I wouldn't be in that situation, so I'm betting here's what happened.  Cameraman was in a store or possibly walking down the sidewalk, sees/hears shooting, gets out their camera and walks TOWARD the commotion; you can see the result.  Me? I'm hauling my ass behind cover, asses the situation and drawing while making my next decision to exit the area or help a brother out.

ETA: Oh shit, maybe that picture is me after I realized I just got sucked into a SilverCord thread.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:17:11 PM EDT
[#43]
serpentine
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:17:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: governmentman] [#44]

The guy he shot in the chest did similar, pleading for his life. The shooter tried to shoot him again but the gun jammed.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By governmentman:
I'm beat at that point.

If I'm already beat, trying to draw gets me the same result, as would most other moves that could be perceived as engaging.

It's a scenario with no good options.

If he's already got one victim on the ground, I have to hope he's thinking getaway and not staying longer. Also dropping might cause the top of the door to interfere with his angle.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:19:20 PM EDT
[#45]
This was a real "road rage" situation that happened in Portland. The observer who took that photo was shot at a couple times and struck in the leg.

View Quote
Ah, so the correct answer was to pull out your camera get some close ups of the bore?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Yes, but moving right keeps you in his sights for a longer period of time. There is more room on the shooters left (your right) to maneuver his pistol and keep it aimed in your direction.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Get moving off the X - Unass the situation.

I'm headed to the guys left as it'll put the B pillar in his way maybe or at least throw off alignment, maybe he pulls in pistol or flashbangs himself in the car when he pulls it back

Hard to hit target over your shoulder, and also where he couldnt easily drive forward towards me or aim forward

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
Ah, so the correct answer was to pull out your camera get some close ups of the bore?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
This was a real "road rage" situation that happened in Portland. The observer who took that photo was shot at a couple times and struck in the leg.

Would be interesting to see how many bystanders have been killed for their curiosity and urge to get the footage to post on social media.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:23:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thesilvercord] [#50]
This off angle moving in from either side of the rear of the vehicle was one of the safest places I was taught to shoot from when you’re shooting vehicle occupant bad guys.

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top