Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/30/2024 9:31:34 AM EDT
A little over 2 years ago, the GF bought a new sectional.. Fast forward to now it is wore out.. Sags decently. So now we are looking at new ones. Maybe a little better quality. We looked at some bassets, flexsteel (I think) and a few others. Ranging from a couple grand on upwards to 5-6k. I told her I didnt want to be in a spot a couple years down the road where we are looking to replace again.. I want something that will last. We are looking for a 3 cushioned leather sofa that has the recliners... With that said, What is the consensus on Ashley stuff? We did find a couch that she liked from there. Any other brands that we need to look at? I will say the Flexsteel looked to be built pretty solid.. But wasnt really our style aesthetically.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Ask her if she likes the one in the women's bathroom at work.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#2]
We caught a furniture store going out of business and got two couches and a love seat with power reclining and headrest in Italian leather (legit Italian leather, not bonded).  When they sag, I’m calling a furniture repair guy to get new cushions and springs, plus new recliner motors when needed.  Pretty reasonable repairs and good as new.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:43:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We caught a furniture store going out of business and got two couches and a love seat with power reclining and headrest in Italian leather (legit Italian leather, not bonded).  When they sag, I’m calling a furniture repair guy to get new cushions and springs, plus new recliner motors when needed.  Pretty reasonable repairs and good as new.
View Quote

We went to a place that is going out of business.. They could order the Ashley couch we had found.. It was a couple hundo cheaper than buying it straight from Ashley. So I may try and see if Ashley will beat that price.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

We went to a place that is going out of business.. They could order the Ashley couch we had found.. It was a couple hundo cheaper than buying it straight from Ashley. So I may try and see if Ashley will beat that price.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They very well may beat the price or throw in some extras.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Ashley online prices are way cheaper than stores. It not even close.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Amish
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Lets talk about the deals you can find on used couches...

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#8]
We got a new couch back in October. Wife and I have two different styles. She liked the low to the ground wide cushion frumpy looking couches at Pottery Barn and Crate & Barrel. I prefer quality leather couches that aren’t super low to the ground and tall enough in the back for me to sit up right or lean back and rest my head on the cushion.

We comprised and went with a Crate & Barrel couch with performance fabric since we have a 3y/o, 1y/o and a dog but we got one higher off the ground that doesn’t have frumpy looking fabric and the back is tall enough for me to lean back and rest my head on the cushion.

Cost was like 7Kish after tax and delivery.

This is the model and configuration we got. Idk the fabric. I let the wife pick that.

Crate and Barrel couch
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:06:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Flexsteel is fine.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Flexsteel is fine.
View Quote
I have all FS living room furniture.  It's quality stuff.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Tagging with interest! My house is under construction now, and I got rid of my older couch because it will be too small for the new living area.

I like sectionals, and I'm trying to get the fiancée on board with that. She's spotted a couple that she likes. I wouldn't mind spending $2-4k for something good that will last a long time. The one I got rid of was one I got at Ikea and it lasted very well. The material was very stout and held up quite well. Probably needed some cleaning, and the seat cushions could likely have been replaced.

I prefer cloth... no pets, one kid that is 11 years old... so probably not a lot of risk of stains and such. Will keep an eye on this thread to see what is suggested!
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:25:26 AM EDT
[#13]
The Arhaus Gianna 4 piece sectional looks nice
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A little over 2 years ago, the GF bought a new sectional.. Fast forward to now it is wore out.. Sags decently. So now we are looking at new ones. Maybe a little better quality. We looked at some bassets, flexsteel (I think) and a few others. Ranging from a couple grand on upwards to 5-6k. I told her I didnt want to be in a spot a couple years down the road where we are looking to replace again.. I want something that will last. We are looking for a 3 cushioned leather sofa that has the recliners... With that said, What is the consensus on Ashley stuff? We did find a couch that she liked from there. Any other brands that we need to look at? I will say the Flexsteel looked to be built pretty solid.. But wasnt really our style aesthetically.
View Quote

Flexsteel buy once cry never
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Flexsteel looks good, but their site is retarded on Firefox and on Safari.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:32:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I went to Ashley after reading up on all things couches.
I spoke to a saleslady in depth. I bought a couch that met the criteria.
Squeeking in under a year and arm pads worn not long after.
It was not cheap.
No more Ashley.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I went to Ashley after reading up on all things couches.
I spoke to a saleslady in depth. I bought a couch that met the criteria.
Squeeking in under a year and arm pads worn not long after.
It was not cheap.
No more Ashley.
View Quote

That is my fear. If Im spending thousands of dollars.. It needs to last. We need leather because of a dog and cat. For anyone who has bought online. How did that go? I dont want to have to put shit together.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:40:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Cococo.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Costco?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#21]
We had leather flexsteel with our last couch.  It was supposed to be drum dyed...it was not.

When we got our new couch wife wanted some special faux fabric on a couch she seen at Ashley.  While I like the material and support of the couch and chair...they are really light weight and I don't feel like they will last....and the were double what the flexsteel was.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Flexsteel is fine.
I have a leather, powered reclining Flexsteel couch and matching loveseat in my living room. They'll be 3 years old in a week, but look new.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#23]
I purchased some Ashley furniture, worn out within 2 years. look in consignment shops, auctions, marketplace, etc. buy something you like, have it recovered in what you like, save $$$$. i've not had good luck with Ashley, either wood stuff or upholstered stuff.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#24]
TBH I just buy cheap shit from Rooms to Go every 5 years.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm a simple man. I usually start at Ikea. If I can't find something there, I'll check La-Z-Boy. It just so happens all of the upholstered stuff in this house is one or the other. I have yet to see couch in any of those other furniture stores that made a lick of sense at the prices they were charging.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:14:41 AM EDT
[#26]
I've noticed they cheap out on things when they add reclining function. I'd skip that.

$500 and some patience with FB Marketplace and CL will get you a high quality couch set.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#27]
We like Ekornes stuff.  It is comfortable and lasts a very long time.  

You can get pieces in different sizes small, medium,  and large to suit your stature.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've noticed they cheap out on things when they add reclining function. I'd skip that.

$500 and some patience with FB Marketplace and CL will get you a high quality couch set.
View Quote

I wish I had the ad screenshot... something like "for sale, used couch. No skeet, only squirt stains" or something like that. LOL
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:33:02 PM EDT
[#29]
We bought "Smith Brothers of Berne" and are happy
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:35:17 PM EDT
[#30]
"Leather" couches are bullshit, it's not full grain, it's glued particles on top of fabric.

Get a high quality fabric and it will last much longer.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:38:42 PM EDT
[#31]

A cowch
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Ashley sofa and loveseat recliners

One side sags and is starting to break down

I weigh 160 pounds so my skinny ass shouldnt be breaking shit like that

Been looking for a new one but cant find what I like
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#33]

How many biguns you reckon you can fit on that?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Gilbert Gottfried tells the Oprah Winfrey at the Doctor Joke

(It's about the thread topic, kinda, first 60 secs)

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
"Leather" couches are bullshit, it's not full grain, it's glued particles on top of fabric.

Kharn
View Quote

The amount of hair my dog loses is mind boggling. I can vacuum another dog up from our couch every few days.. Trying to get away from fabric
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#36]
They do wear out and start sagging after a few years if you’re hard on them, but fortunately it’s not that hard to find a new girlfriend. I’d suggest buying a nice boat or maybe get an account on Bumble. What were we talking about again…?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Going out of business since 1902!
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Ashley is garbage, you'd be better off with some random option from Wayfair than Ashley.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#39]
We have had pretty good luck with ikea couches for the last 20+ years and the prices were very reasonable when we bought ours - better than comps from furniture stores.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#40]
For the amount of money you are investing, go see it in person. Lay down on it like you have the flu.

I am not joking. Last couch I bought, sounded right, but it is about an inch too short in the length department, and I cannot lay down on it without scrunching up enough to inconvenience me and wake up a little achy.

We had another one, that had a wooden support that was unnoticeable at purchase, but when broken in, caught her in the back when she was laying on it. Hurt her ribs enough we had to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
For the amount of money you are investing, go see it in person. Lay down on it like you have the flu.

I am not joking. Last couch I bought, sounded right, but it is about an inch too short in the length department, and I cannot lay down on it without scrunching up enough to inconvenience me and wake up a little achy.

We had another one, that had a wooden support that was unnoticeable at purchase, but when broken in, caught her in the back when she was laying on it. Hurt her ribs enough we had to get rid of it.
View Quote

Right? My sectional is 10’ long because of exactly this.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:35:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Scrunching up 1” inconveniences you and causes aches?

You sure you didn’t buy a love seat?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
We have had pretty good luck with ikea couches for the last 20+ years and the prices were very reasonable when we bought ours - better than comps from furniture stores.
View Quote

I think there's good reason the Ikea KIVIK line alone has sold more couches than many other companies have sold furniture in total.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#45]
I’m an idiot when it comes to furniture but I’ll never own another sectional and everyone tells me Ashley sucks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#46]

You’re going to have to hook the big ‘uns to your 4 wheel drive to pull them off that couch it’s so low.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Costco?
View Quote
This is what I did. I bought a leather sofa and loveseat about 8 years ago. My kids are hard on furniture. I swear they take running leaps onto them. I'm the smallest in my family so I think I did well. I paid less than 2k for them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote

That’s bonded leather, which sucks.  Full grain will last a long time if conditioned and cleaned properly.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I think there's good reason the Ikea KIVIK line alone has sold more couches than many other companies have sold furniture in total.

View Quote

Ha! Shit! My old couch was a KIVIK. I liked it a lot!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:31:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Now that pit groups are all the rage, can pappasan chairs and avocado appliances be far behind?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top