Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/30/2024 9:33:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GenYRevolverGuy]
A couple years ago, nobody was making A2 stuff. A bunch of companies were making A4s, and some of those companies were calling those A4s A2s, but you couldn't really get an A2 without digging up an old upper somewhere and building around it yourself.

Then one day, a holding group bought the rights to an old gun company's branding and IP, and they hired a retro rifle nerd to run it, and now there's a shift. H&R released A1s first, then A2s started shipping a year or so ago, and they've been a hit.

SA-16A2 - Springfield Armory®

It's going to be fun to see how far this goes.

Personally, I didn't love the A2 when I was in the Army. The examples I was issued were mostly older than I was and it showed, and every USGI magazine I was ever issued before I deployed should have been smashed and trashed. Also, GI triggers are what they are, and the training wasn't very good. The marksmanship training was so poor, many (most?) of us couldn't hit the 300M targets with confidence, and bad maintenance practices caused reliability issues.

I learned a hell of a lot more about shooting techniques and firearms maintenance towards the end of my career and after I got out than I ever did when I was in.

I recently acquired my first civilian A2:

I dropped a trigger in it, lubed it up, and took it out, and it actually kind of rips. I was pinging the 300 yard target casually, I had a good hit rate at 400 with some effort, and 550 was a bit tough, but it was hard to see the target.

The 0-2 aperture was also way more useful than I remember it being. I could get the A2 on targets from 50-200 with that aperture about as fast as I could my TA-31 ACOG.

I bought this A2 as a range toy, training rifle, and Memberberries item, but my confidence in it is high. I'm going to put a loaded mag in that force pro pouch and keep it handy.

Anyways, I don't have much love for Springfield, but I'm glad they're doing this, and I hope this trend grows a bit more.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:35:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Action45] [#1]
More retro options is never a bad thing
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#2]
It's good to see expansion in the retro market.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:39:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:
A couple years ago, nobody was making A2 stuff. A bunch of companies were making A4s, and some of those companies were calling those A4s A2s, but you couldn't really get an A2 without digging up an old upper somewhere and building around it yourself.

Then one day, a holding group bought the rights to an old gun company's branding and IP, and they hired a retro rifle nerd to run it, and now there's a shift. H&R released A1s first, then A2s started shipping a year or so ago, and they've been a hit.

https://files.springfield-armory.com/wp-content/uploads/model-hero-sa16-rifle-2200x1257-3.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwuKAESTsYo

It's going to see how far this goes.

Personally, I didn't love the A2 when I was in the Army. The examples I was issued were mostly older than I was and it showed, and every USGI magazine I was ever issued before I deployed should have been smashed and trashed. Also, GI triggers are what they are, and the training wasn't very good. The marksmanship training was so poor, many (most?) of us couldn't hit the 300M targets with confidence, and bad maintenance practices caused reliability issues.

I learned a hell of a lot more about shooting techniques and firearms maintenance towards the end of my career and after I got out than I ever did when I was in.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257918/IMG_9632-3183526.jpg

I dropped a trigger in it, lubed it up, and took it out, and it actually kind of rips. I was pinging the 300 yard target casually, I had a good hit rate at 400 with some effort, and 550 was a bit tough, but it was hard to see the target.

The 0-2 aperture was also way more useful than I remember it being. I could get the A2 on targets from 50-200 with that aperture about as fast as I could my TA-31 ACOG.

I bought this A2 as a range toy, training rifle, and Memberberries item, but my confidence in it is high. I'm going to put a loaded mag in that force pro pouch and keep it handy.

Anyways, I don't have much love for Springfield, but I'm glad they're doing this, and I hope this trend grows a bit more.
View Quote

The biggest reason that soldiers struggled with the more distant targets is that the rifles were never fully zeroed in many units.

As a civilian would you consider your rifle properly zeroed with out confirmation at range?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#5]
That's weird, I had a dream about M16A2s last night.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:44:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I like it
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#7]
My least favorite AR variant, but I should pick one up just to have it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't need one but I'm glad they are keeping the retro stuff alive
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:51:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AK-12] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SSeric02:
That's weird, I had a dream about M16A2s last night.
View Quote

What will their next model in this series be, prophet? (As someone still waiting for a Detective model SA-35 I'm kidding).

I think this market is going to eventually saturate somewhat, and those like H&R who make weird stuff will be the ones with longevity. These days pretty much everyone has (a) rifle(s) for "serious use," and are now looking at nostalgic stuff so they can sit and watch Platoon while holding their A1 clone. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

If I can ever find an M5 RAS I'll pick up a Colt Ar15A4 to clone the M16A4 I was first issued. Day late and a dollar short again.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

The biggest reason that soldiers struggled with the more distant targets is that the rifles were never fully zeroed in many units.

As a civilian would you consider your rifle properly zeroed with out confirmation at range?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://files.springfield-armory.com/wp-content/uploads/model-hero-sa16-rifle-2200x1257-3.jpg

We almost always did confirmation zeros before scored quals. I remain convinced the marksmanship struggles were 80% training and 20% the GI trigger.

But, it is funny you ask that...

Mike says all the H&R uppers are zeroed from the factory. Trust but verify? I printed two A2 zeroing targets, and went to a guy's range where I had never shot before only to find there was nowhere to hang paper short of 100 yards. So I started popping steel. 100? ding ding ding. 200? ding ding ding. 300? ding ding ding. Dial to 400? ding bang ding ding. Dial to 500 and aim for 550? bang bang ding bang ding ding bang ding. I'd never shot that far with a rifle before, this was my first time shooting this particular rifle, I didn't make a single adjustment to the sights outside of dialing, and... there I was.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:55:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I like the A2, I like all things AR's

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#12]
glad to see it.  

i just love 20" and rifle length gas, so smooth.  

having fixed irons is great too.  noob owners who may have trouble maintaining zero with optics and/or backup irons have one less thing to worry about.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#13]
M16 is a full automatic weapon.  Do they mean AR15?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Action45:
More retro options is never a bad thing
View Quote

Sure ain't......I got a Bushmaster A2 not too long ago and I really like it
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SGT_Tentpeg:
View Quote
It's their product. They can name it what they want.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

lol

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:02:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SSeric02] [#17]
Originally Posted By AK-12:

What will their next model in this series be, prophet? (As someone still waiting for a Detective model SA-35 I'm kidding).

View Quote

I predict SA will bring back M-1 Carbines (again) next.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Modern A1 with either fixed irons, or a flat top and lightweight 1-6, makes for a damned nice rifle.

Folks have forgotten how nicely a 20” pencil barrel balances when you don’t have a shitload of widgets hanging off the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Not MD legal
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#20]
I love my 1997 vintage Colt MT6700 ("A4" version). Granted, I've had the original 1-9 twist HBAR turned down to government profile and the threads put on the end but still... No, it isn't the same thing as the A2 but close.  The rear sight is a breath of fresh air after looking through all these optics everywhere I turn.

I'm still a believer in the 55gr bullet moving at near 3300 fps being the way to go. My M4'gery Frankenstein with the can is the "go to" gun...but I always take a long look at that 20in Colt that sits next to it and think twice...  :)

Long Live the A2!!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I am surprised SA put a bayonet lug on it.

It looks great.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:10:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#22]

View Quote

Your pic hit with with a wave of nostalgia.

When I was in I had an FN A-2 and I kinda miss it. I was thinking there are only 2 upgrades I'd want to do on it.  
1) Upgraded single-stage trigger - Geisselle maybe?
2) Swap a Tubb spring into it.

I think it would be a good rifle to have overall and it never failed me.

Question for those who know: An M-16 purchased in the mid-late 1990s, what would the roll-mark be? I can't remember where it was made back then.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#23]

We almost always did confirmation zeros before scored quals. I remain convinced the marksmanship struggles were 80% training and 20% the GI trigger.

But, it is funny you ask that...

Mike says all the H&R uppers are zeroed from the factory. Trust but verify? I printed two A2 zeroing targets, and went to a guy's range where I had never shot before only to find there was nowhere to hang paper short of 100 yards. So I started popping steel. 100? ding ding ding. 200? ding ding ding. 300? ding ding ding. Dial to 400? ding bang ding ding. Dial to 500 and aim for 550? bang bang ding bang ding ding bang ding. I'd never shot that far with a rifle before, this was my first time shooting this particular rifle, I didn't make a single adjustment to the sights outside of dialing, and... there I was.
View Quote

Confirmation at what distance?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:14:34 AM EDT
[#24]
My a2 is probably my favorite bench gun.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:14:37 AM EDT
[#25]
One of my very first AR's was a Colt 6600. Still have it and will never sell it, and to this day one of my favorites to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:15:14 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

We always did 25-meter paper targets and then moved the rear sight aperture two clicks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't understand the retro fascination. It's going backwards on purpose. Things have been updated and modernized for a reason.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#29]
The M16A3 was better than the M16A2. I'm right. You know I am. If you disagree your bad and you should feel bad.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By djkest:

When I was in I had an FN A-2 and I kinda miss it. I was thinking there are only 2 upgrades I'd want to do on it.  

View All Quotes

There are three small but important differences between the way I have my A2 set up now vs the ones I was issued in the '00s.

1) CMMG 2-stage trigger. I don't think they make these anymore, but I already had it, it's good enough, and it doesn't change the look of the rifle.
2) Lubrication. In most places in the Army, we kept our rifles way too dry. It was supposed to attract less dust or some BS. I grease my buffer tube and charging handle, and I generously oil the BCG, and it's much better.
3) Magazines. I know it's a debate here, but PMAGs are a huge upgrade over USGI aluminum, and you'll never convince me otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:
I don't understand the retro fascination. It's going backwards on purpose. Things have been updated and modernized for a reason.
View Quote
Because 12 pound carbines are dumb when you can have 6 pound rifles?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:20:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vegitan] [#32]
Colt upper

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:22:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: STL_Nik] [#33]
ARF loves to gobble SA cock while shunning every other company who as much as farted near the 2nd amendment.  This place never fails to surprise me.

FUCK SPRINGFIELD ARMORY from the gun owners of Illinois.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

My brother in Christ, go shoot a properly built one. They are great.

Variety is the spice of life my man :-)
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:24:58 AM EDT
[#35]

We always did 25-meter paper targets and then moved the rear sight aperture two clicks.
View All Quotes

Same.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#36]

There are three small but important differences between the way I have my A2 set up now vs the ones I was issued in the '00s.

1) CMMG 2-stage trigger. I don't think they make these anymore, but I already had it, it's good enough, and it doesn't change the look of the rifle.
2) Lubrication. In most places in the Army, we kept our rifles way too dry. It was supposed to attract less dust or some BS. I grease my buffer tube and charging handle, and I generously oil the BCG, and it's much better.
3) Magazines. I know it's a debate here, but PMAGs are a huge upgrade over USGI aluminum, and you'll never convince me otherwise.
View Quote

For point 3, get some milspec aluminum mags and install the Magpul followers in them. :)
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:31:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vegitan] [#37]
View Quote

A lot of early GWOT guys deployed with A2 (mostly support) and carried it everywhere for a year or more.  In a support unit we deployed with them in 2010.  I'm in a TDA unit and still have A2s I'm trying to get swapped for M4A1s.

Plus the Desert Storm and cold War guys.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:33:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Love it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:33:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Musket thread
@beamy
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

Never fully zeroed is a nice way to say improperly zeroed. The amount of bad information that spreads in the Army, which simply paper targets at range would dispel or correct, is sad. The pop up range is great validation, but a poor training tool on its own.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

That's a preliminary zero, not confirmation. Confirmation would be done at 300
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Counterpoints:

1) Modern ARs and polymer pistols might be the most practical options, but they get boring quick. I'd guess 87% of guys here have recreational firearms.
2) 30+ years worth of American veterans were issued A2 rifles, and they'll never get the real deal from the CMP. This is the next best thing.
3) The 20" M16s are actually great rifles for a variety of reasons including superior external and terminal ballistics, the rifle length gas system, and some of the best iron sights fielded on any rifle ever.
4) 20" guns just plain shoot better than 16" guns, M4s, or SBRs.
5) Basic rifles like these might not be the best option for defensive use, but they're still more than good enough. After the last range day I just had, I could use my A2 with a high level of confidence just about anywhere outside of dark or close quarters situations.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#43]
I might have to buy one for the nostalgia.  

I carried one in Sandbox 1.1.0.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By DoubleARon:
The M16A3 was better than the M16A2. I'm right. You know I am. If you disagree your bad and you should feel bad.
View Quote

Does the M16A3 actually exist in the real world?

I've never seen one nor have I ever met anyone who was issued one.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By mcantu:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mcantu:

I was in the Army for 6 years and I never saw a range set up to shoot paper at 300.

We had these:

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#46]

Personally, I didn't love the A2 when I was in the Army. The examples I was issued were mostly older than I was and it showed, and every USGI magazine I was ever issued before I deployed should have been smashed and trashed.
View Quote

LOL, you should have tried going thru boot camp with an old A1 that rattled like a box of screws and always felt like it was going to fall apart.  I didn't get an A2 until about year into my first duty assignment and right after qualifying with it, it was taken away and I was assigned an M3 Grease gun  I am pretty sure I was more accurate throwing a rock at the target.

Anyways, glad to see more choices being offered.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:52:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DoubleARon] [#47]

Does the M16A3 actually exist in the real world?

I've never seen one nor have I ever met anyone who was issued one.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

ETA: Finding a 1/7 government profile barrel with a rifle extension is not easy.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Some of us more retro guys were issued these rifles and remember how they felt in the hand, and the memories assiciated with that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

My A2 wasn't retro back when I put it together.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top