Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#2]
warrents  
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#3]
In your case, yes
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#4]
That whole post made Baby Jesus cry, because he had warrents.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Reason for the stop matters and who is doing it.

Motorcycle = to write tickets

Patrol = depends on why stopped

Either way, alcohol is clued with the driving infractions. Weed could be the same.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you having a stroke?
View Quote

no,  are you always an ass clown or only here?

eta   uncalled for  on my part - head hung in shame
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Haven’t you heard. When people see the police aggressively patrolling they pay better attention to their driving.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#8]
OP certainly needs a breathalyzer.  

I on the other hand, am stopped because I have a heavy foot, so it is 100% my fault, no fishing involved.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#9]
And civil asset forfeiture.  Your cash is now the county's cash.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you having a stroke?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I on the other hand, am stopped because I have a heavy foot, so it is 100% my fault, no fishing involved.
View Quote

around here you'd have to be  just short of the speed of sound to get tagged
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you having a stroke?

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/fun-369.gif

uncalled for  on my part - head hung in shame
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#13]
You guys have cops that write tickets?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
And civil asset forfeiture.  Your cash is now the county's cash.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been pulled over on I-95 for going 5mph over the limit in north FL. I was in a black BMW, dark tinted windows, temp tag. The FHPman was right to pull me over since I was speeding - technically - although 5mph is a stretch in FL, since most drivers are 15mph over. Once the FHPman saw I was not a criminal, we actually had a good chat about both of our times in the military and guns and other stuff. The explanation he gave me for pulling me over...I-95 is a hotbed for stolen cars being sent to the northeast. My car checked several profile boxes so he used my speeding as a legal excuse to pull me over and check me out. Didn't bother me at all. Obviously no ticket or anything else. On a 1-10 scale for bothering me, it was a zero. I appreciated he was just doing his job.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:31:12 PM EDT
[#16]
The last time I got stopped, (headlamp out) the WA officer asked me when the last time I drank alcohol?   I told him I don't recall the exact day, but it was June of 1995.  

The look on his face was camera worthy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I got pulled over once at 2 a.m. right down the street from my house. Sitting there thinking "ok, what the hell could this be about?" Sat there for 5 or 10 minutes before officer approached. He comes up, I say "good morning." "You know why I pulled you over?" "No idea." "Yeah, I uh.....noticed your muffler was kind of loud." Like he had to think about it on the spot. Granted, it had a hole and was kinda noisy, but not THAT loud. Tuna can exhausts are far louder. Gave him my license and insurance, he did whatever in his car for 20 MINUTES. 20 freaking minutes! I was tired and wanted to shower and go to bed. Finally comes back and gives me a written warning.

"Muffler was kind of loud," yeah, pretty sure you just wanted to see what I was doing out at 0200. Probably hoping for a DUI. He was a young guy, newer to the force.

So I'm not sure about most, but that one certainly was.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Motor units are there for the sweet road tax.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Not in my experience
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Either you want to have police or not.

Everyone complains about cops harassing people that aren't dangerous and not catching real criminals. Everyone complains about cops that sit around and don't do anything. They complain when they go out and pull people over or stop you and ask basic questions.

How do you think cops catch "real criminals"? They don't have magic glasses they wear that say "that guys a scumbag". They have to go out and interact with people and then use some clues to figure out if they are dealing with someone shady or average Joe.

So you either want to have proactive law enforcement, or you don't. But if you don't, don't complain when crime goes up.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Usually the stop was speed or equipment related. There were always more people wanting traffic enforcement in their neighborhoods than we had available time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Road pirates.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Only stops around here are white guys driving nice cars and who will pay a fine for speeding or tail light out. Black guys that will start a career-ending fight, or ghost illegals with no insurance or ID and forged docs that won't pay any fine - no interest in pulling those guys.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Its been about 15 years ago, but the last two times I got pulled over I was going 15 MPH over the speed limit.
No search of car, no fishing, just me getting a ticket.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#26]
90% of my stops when I worked were looking for dope or warrants, I also wrote very few tickets (except when I was working the school zone that ran between the two sides of the elementary and JH campuses, if I got you there you got a ticket).
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I saw some police out on motorcycles and it struck me as the oddest thing that we still have this. They have to be a huge problem for comp injuries. Those guys had no protection besides a "Ponch" helmet and boots. There's not a lot of heavy traffic and fast chases in sleepy St George.

Maybe not around here but a lot of people are crazy and hate cops.
View Quote

You don't want to be on a bike during a chase. No thanks.

UHP uses them too and will bring a squad down whenever there is a large event. They are great for hiding, splitting lanes, and doing group enforcement. The bike is a lot cheaper to maintain and operate than a vehicle, but the injury risk is huge. It isn't if you will crash, it is just when.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Nah.  My stops were for actual traffic or equipment violations and the majority of those went on their way with a warning.

Any DUIs or warrants were a bonus.

I didn't particularly like DUIs as I knew I was going to spend hours babysitting an idiot and listening to him cry that I was ruining his life, impounding a car, getting an evidentiary breath or blood test, suspending a license, writing a report, etc.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Working traffic aggressively even when writing warning tickets slows down the occurrence of all other types of criminal activity because you are out there being seen. So if you don’t like burglars breaking into your cars and homes that’s how you slow that activity down. Duh!!!

Write tickets = someone complains
Don’t write tickets = someone complains
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Depends on time and place.

If it's 2AM and a police officer sees something minor like "someone pulls out of a bar parking lot without coming to a full and complete stop first"  then yeah, if the officer has an IQ above room temp he's probably thinking that the driver might be intoxicated above the legal limit.

Cop pulling some dude over during rush hour who was doing 15 over in a normal looking vehicle, probably is just pulling the guy over for speeding and not using it as a pretext for anything.  That said, plenty of normal traffic stops reveal folks with an outstanding warrant or something more serious like drugs.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#31]
You got a new theme song, fargo.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#32]
There's a town north of me that does a vehicle search on 100% of traffic stops
When called out about it they basically said, " yeah, so what?"
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

The last several times I've been stopped was also because I was speeding and I knew it as soon as I saw the blue lights. Several years ago though, working the evening shift, I would get pulled over about 1 AM at least once per month. I knew better than to horse around on the road at that time of day so I feel more like it was a fishing expedition to see if I had been out drinking, the officer would always say something like I was weaving around in my lane. I usually was, to avoid potholes and manhole covers.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:30:21 PM EDT
[#34]
OP needs to sue every teacher he ever had.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can you provide a source for your claim?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#36]
I only did speed enforcement in areas where speed and accidents were a problem.

I made stops for equipment violations because I was looking for criminals, with the side benefit of letting decent people know their shit was fucked up with a warning.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've been pulled over on I-95 for going 5mph over the limit in north FL. I was in a black BMW, dark tinted windows, temp tag. The FHPman was right to pull me over since I was speeding - technically - although 5mph is a stretch in FL, since most drivers are 15mph over. Once the FHPman saw I was not a criminal, we actually had a good chat about both of our times in the military and guns and other stuff. The explanation he gave me for pulling me over...I-95 is a hotbed for stolen cars being sent to the northeast. My car checked several profile boxes so he used my speeding as a legal excuse to pull me over and check me out. Didn't bother me at all. Obviously no ticket or anything else. On a 1-10 scale for bothering me, it was a zero. I appreciated he was just doing his job.
View Quote

wow, never seen someone brag about liking the taste of boot polish, but yet, here we are reading your post
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Driving laws, like stopping at red lights or stop signs, or not driving like a drunken hyena, appear to be optional for an increasingly large segment of the public, so I'd say the answer is "false"
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Law enforcement are aupposed to look for crime.  Why would you think they wouldnt look for crime in people driving vehicles?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Every driver I've ever pulled over has done something stupid (run a stop sign, drive to the left of a "keep right" divided section of road, had two kids sitting on the trunk of the car, etc) that attracted my attention.  

Never once have I thought "I'll bet that driver has weed/warrants", made up my mind to pull it over, and THEN found a reason to make the stop.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Motorcycle = to write tickets

Patrol = depends on why stopped

Either way, alcohol is clued with the driving infractions. Weed could be the same.
View Quote

Dui checkpoints?  No driving infraction. Just fishing right ?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#43]
All checkpoints are fishing expeditions.

ETA - Most traffic stops are for legitimate traffic violations
         or defective equipment.  Yes, some stops are done for
         ulterior motives.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#45]
I did a couple ride-alongs with a buddy of mine, a few years back. Each time, we spent about an hour specifically catching speeders. He had a handful of great hiding spots, and we would stop speeders one after another. Probably 95% received tickets.

Then we spent the rest of the time looking for drugs and warrants (pretty much any big arrest.) Every car he pulled over, was with the hopes of finding something big. These were the people that got warnings for whatever the traffic infraction was.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/Texas-police-search-thousands-of-drivers-and-find-16589982.php

"Chief Darrel Broussard declined to comment in detail, but said “Most of those we stop lead to a search.” In an email, he added “We have not received any complaints for any motorist about being searched. We serve a great community that support their (law enforcement) officers.”
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#47]
I run I-10 between Houston and New Orleans for work quite a bit. I've been lucky lately but over the years I've been pulled over the most the BS things. After the rookies see my carry permit and run my license, they feel the need to come back with the lamest story of "just trying to keep everyone safe, blah blah" BS. Just say, I'm Duputy Doofus and my boss told me to go fishing.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I dunno. Do something about it?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Most probably start out as legit stops, I’d says 90% of the times I’ve been pulled over I was committing an infraction (speeding, headlights not on, failure to signal). Of the the times I was pulled over about 25% of the time the cop wanted to go fishing and search the vehicle. They never found anything, I’ve never done drugs, but I had one asshole say he smelt weed.

Last time I got a ticket was in 2004, but I will never give permission to search my vehicle again after seeing the court videos of the cops that planted drugs on people. I pray like hell the k9 officer is at least moral enough to not plant evidence on me because I certainly feel a contrived reason to search will be found.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Depends on the cop and area.

Patrol cops in crime areas yes

Daytime traffic cops in suburbs,  likely looking for revenue.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top