Page / 56
Posted: 3/26/2024 3:19:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jinxsters]
Ship hit it allegedly?

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BobP:

That make sense. I can't imagine anyone hitting the water and surviving.

For the conspiracy advocates, has anyone claimed responsibility? A planned attack which would bring down a bridge must have someone claiming responsibility?
View Quote

People may not have hit the water directly.  Some of the falling bridge spans would temper the impact force but it might still be enough to injure a person who if they then slid into the water would have a lowered chance of survival.  I would not want go through it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

BLD?
View Quote

Bitches

Love

Drama

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:25:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancat] [#3]
Originally Posted By 9mmKrieger:

Lots of folks seem to have forgotten that hacking can affect control systems and machines in a manner that looks like a malfunction.

We did exactly that to Iran via Stuxnet over a decade ago.

A simple set of instructions can do that and even delete itself afterwards. It's tech that's trivial for nation state actors.

Look at the economic & other impacts for motive.
View Quote

OK, tell me how you would do it.

A ship is literally a walled garden when it comes to the network facing the outside world.

IF there is a vector: When it comes to the ships' automation systems, at most you may have a VPN tunnel maintained by specific systems that is ONLY directly facing into an automation vendor's network. In most cases this is a one way deal where performance information is submitted to the vendor remotely. Common with some MAN Diesel systems, Kongsberg, etc. Some vendors have "always on" tunnels here but many I've worked with specifically require manual intent from the engineers aboard to establish the tunnel, report performance data, or allow the automation vendor to make any sort of changes.

When it comes to "hacking" a ship, the biggest threat is spoofing systems reliant on radio/satellite input e.g. GPS or AIS data that is interpreted by the navigation systems and could in theory be used to nudge a ship in a direction the crew wouldn't want it to go. But this would mean active autopilot on the steering stand, which is fed by electronic chart systems, and every one of these systems I've worked with will throw up a red flag if for example the GPS ir AIS data checksums do not match on the NMEA (serial) input stream. This is where most of the focus has been on attacking vessels and some proofs of concept have taken place at Defcon, but none of it is a guaranteed vector to take control of a ship, more of a denial of service type attack.

Most shipping companies I've worked with have put a great deal of effort into network segmentation when/if various on board networks face each other. In fact I spent the last 2-3 years working on a large scale project specifically for this purpose.

But guess what: breakers fail, have to be maintained, and rebuilt. Ships lose power, shit happens. That's why ships have muliple generators (4 to 6 is common on a ship this size) plus additional emergency generator and independent power buses. It happened at the absolute worst place and time for this particular ship.

Working on this shit is literally what I do for a living.. feel free to ask.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By macro:
Is it within the realm of possibility? Sure.
Is it likely?

Lots of things are possible. It doesn't mean they are done.

In aggregate, this incident lacks all foundation of being 'an attack'. The usual victims have lost nothing, and the usual suspects have claimed no responsibility.

If terrorists seriously endeavored to disrupt America, there are far bigger targets requiring far less effort to exploit.

Now...if a cargo ship was carrying a contagion...or a nuclear device...yeah...that's a much more plausible scenario.  But a cargo ship carrying commerce....that issues a mayday....crashing into something?

Yeah...I'm calling this an accident.  Perhaps of epic proportion....but an accident nonetheless
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BayEagle:
A cyberattack on ship's systems is not out of the realm of possibility.  I don't understand why so many poo-poo it.  It has industrial type control systems and software like any other big machine, or plant or building. Proof of concepts and real world examples abound. I've done ethical hacking engagements in the airline and rail industries - shipping is just another target.
Is it likely?

In aggregate, this incident lacks all foundation of being 'an attack'. The usual victims have lost nothing, and the usual suspects have claimed no responsibility.

If terrorists seriously endeavored to disrupt America, there are far bigger targets requiring far less effort to exploit.

Now...if a cargo ship was carrying a contagion...or a nuclear device...yeah...that's a much more plausible scenario.  But a cargo ship carrying commerce....that issues a mayday....crashing into something?

Yeah...I'm calling this an accident.  Perhaps of epic proportion....but an accident nonetheless

Again, this is spitballing, please dont attack me GD anti-thoughtards, sending some code via an email to disrupt a ships power supply isn’t that expensive and this accident is going to end up costing of 10’s of billions of dollars, if not more. If you pull off a few of these a year that “look” like accidents, over the long haul you are slow bleeding the country of resources without the obvious acts of kinetic war. Every expert will tell you this is what the future of warfare looks like. I promise you computer forensic folks are going to be looking at everything on that ship and no one is going to be calling them conspiracy kooks.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Half of these posts make me picture Jack Nicholson behind a computer in the nuthouse during internet access hour.  Nurse Ratched will be along shortly with a lithium cookie to unplug the computer.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cranberry1:

Probably a couple of days , I believe there are only two of those in the world .
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cranberry1:
Originally Posted By CatskillDraht:
Left Coast Lifter Super Crane

I think the "Left Coast Lifter" Super Crane is still in Staten Island.
Was used to help build the Tappan Zee/Cuomo Bridge.
How long would it take to move that from Staten Island to Baltimore?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/429939/crane_JPG-3170199.JPG

Probably a couple of days , I believe there are only two of those in the world .

This crane was up in New London at Electric Boat a couple months ago. Weeks Marine #533. 450T barge crane. Wonder where she is right now?

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BossMaverick:

No, it’s not the old fort. It’s dolphins. Look at the post below yours and you can see them in the photos.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BlackHoleSon:

They show up on iPhone maps in satellite view. They’re small, and it’s obvious now that a ship can miss them, but they are there.

It's been years since I was up there but you can see an old fort in the water from the bridge. Can't remember the name but that may be one of the things you are seeing

No, it’s not the old fort. It’s dolphins. Look at the post below yours and you can see them in the photos.

He's probably referring to the abandoned lighthouse there. But yeah there are four small round white bollard looking things low in the water by the bridge supports.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

People may not have hit the water directly.  Some of the falling bridge spans would temper the impact force but it might still be enough to injure a person who if they then slid into the water would have a lowered chance of survival.  I would not want go through it.
View Quote

This^ Good luck swimming with a broken back and legs.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:32:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#9]
The octagonal shaped "dolphins" are actually protection for the overhead power lines. In this pic you see the poles and lines. They are not there to protect the bridge, specifically.

Some of the older pics are from when the footings were poured but before the poles went up and the dolphins for them were installed.

The real small dots are likely channel markers more than bollards. They show up on radar but aren't stopping anything above a CC.

This map shows the power lines as sort of a chainlink in brown on both side of the bridge.

Attachment Attached File

Power lines

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SamBoga:
Lara Logan goes full retard

View Quote
I think I'll wait and see if she's full retard.  To me, with the very preliminary information released, it looks like an accident.  The Suez Canal "accident" didn't look like an accident at all.  So, if this does turn out to be intentional, she would be correct in it being brilliantly staged to look like an accident.

If you look at the map with the depth contours, it looks like a ship that size losing power and/or steering would easily run aground and get sideways in the channel.  Shipping would be disrupted for days or weeks, just like the Suez Canal incident.  No dick tracks on this incident, though.

I don't think a fancy cyber attack would be required.  Just time the equipment failure so the crew would not have any available options to stop a mishap.  Even if you manage to miss the bridge, without steering and propulsion, you would still likely run aground or run into a different obstacle.  If intentional, I don't think any of the crew would need to have any involvement for it to be successful.  However, I'm still leaning toward the accident theory until we have more information.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:36:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancat] [#12]
Originally Posted By MeInMediocrity:
I think I'll wait and see if she's full retard.  To me, with the very preliminary information released, it looks like an accident.  The Suez Canal "accident" didn't look like an accident at all.  So, if this does turn out to be intentional, she would be correct in it being brilliantly staged to look like an accident.

If you look at the map with the depth contours, it looks like a ship that size losing power and/or steering would easily run aground and get sideways in the channel.  Shipping would be disrupted for days or weeks, just like the Suez Canal incident.  No dick tracks on this incident, though.

I don't think a fancy cyber attack would be required.  Just time the equipment failure so the crew would not have any available options to stop a mishap.  Even if you manage to miss the bridge, without steering and propulsion, you would still likely run aground or run into a different obstacle.  If intentional, I don't think any of the crew would need to have any involvement for it to be successful.  However, I'm still leaning toward the accident theory until we have more information.
View Quote

Like I said a few posts above... Working with large vessel information systems/electronics is what I do.

I don't want to be all cocky and call myself an expert but, given my experience, I am EXTREMELY skeptical that any sort of attack occurred here.

A one in a million incident occurred.

I'll eat my words if it turns out to be untrue, but right now I feel like we all do when reading shit about guns in the MSM.

eta let me be specific: I'm referring to an electronic or computerized attack here. There is certainly no telling what may have occurred physically aboard.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:36:46 PM EDT
[#13]
It's probably been answered but how long would it take to rebuild a bridge of that size? Seems like it's incredibly critical.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By USNGM2:
It's probably been answered but how long would it take to rebuild a bridge of that size? Seems like it's incredibly critical.
View Quote

Some guys here say 5-7 years and 10 billion

I'm thinking 500 million and 2 years.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Came in here to get news.

See conspiracy bullshit about the ship being hacked.

I’m not sure how some of you function in society.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#16]

A list of major US bridge collapses caused by ships and barges

Tuesday, March 26, 2024 1:27PM

Urgent search and rescue underway after major Baltimore bridge collapse

A ship struck Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge, causing it to collapse, sending vehicles and people into the water, officials said.

BALTIMORE -- A container ship struck a major bridge in Baltimore early Tuesday, causing it to plunge into the river below. From 1960 to 2015, there were 35 major bridge collapses worldwide due to ship or barge collision, with a total of 342 people killed, according to a 2018 report from the World Association for Waterborne Transport Infrastructure. Eighteen of those collapses happened in the United States.

A list of notable disasters involving ships or barges hitting bridges in the U.S.:

POPP'S FERRY BRIDGE

March 20, 2009: A vessel pushing eight barges rammed into the Popp's Ferry Bridge in Biloxi, Mississippi, resulting in a 150-foot section of the bridge collapsing into the bay.

INTERSTATE 40 BRIDGE: 14 DEAD

May 26, 2002: A barge hit the Interstate 40 bridge over the Arkansas River at Webbers Falls, Oklahoma, collapsing a 500-foot section of road and plunging vehicles into the water. Fourteen people died and 11 were injured.

QUEEN ISABELLA CAUSEWAY: 8 DEAD

Sept. 15, 2001: A tugboat and barge struck the Queen Isabella Causeway in Port Isabel, Texas, causing a midsection of the bridge to tumble 80 feet into the bay below. Eight people died after motorists drove into the hole.

EADS BRIDGE: 50 INJURED

April 14, 1998: The Anne Holly tow traveling through the St. Louis Harbor rammed into the center span of the Eads Bridge. Eight barges broke away. Three of them hit a permanently moored gambling vessel below the bridge. Fifty people suffered minor injuries.

BIG BAYOU CANOT: 47 DEAD

Sept. 22, 1993: Barges being pushed by a towboat in dense fog hit and displaced the Big Bayou Canot railroad bridge near Mobile, Alabama. Minutes later, an Amtrak train with 220 people aboard reached the displaced bridge and derailed, killing 47 people and injuring 103 people.

SEEBER BRIDGE: 1 DEAD

May 28, 1993: The towboat Chris, pushing the empty hopper barge DM3021, hit a support tier of the Judge William Seeber Bridge in New Orleans. Two spans and the two-column bent collapsed onto the barge. Two cars carrying three people fell with the four-lane bridge deck into a canal. One person died and two people were seriously injured.

SUNSHINE SKYWAY BRIDGE: 35 DEAD

May 9, 1980: The 609-foot freighter Summit Venture was navigating through the narrow, winding shipping channel of Florida's Tampa Bay when a sudden, blinding squall knocked out the ship's radar. The ship sheared off a support of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, dropping a 1,400-foot section of concrete roadway during the morning rush hour. Seven vehicles, including a bus with 26 aboard, fell 150 feet into the water. Thirty-five people died.

Copyright © 2024 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

https://abc11.com/scott-key-bridge-collapse-baltimore-francis-maryland/14572692/

------------------------------------------------------------------
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By NCshooter:
The left coast lifter is indeed in Staten Island and Alcheron has it for sale. When they brought to NY they renamed it "I Lift New York"
1929 ton lift capacity ,384 ft boom 484 ft long
Talk about clearing that channel
View Quote

But it can't lift 1929 tons AT 384ft... kind of reminds me of this... when it all goes wrong.

People Injured & Houses Destroyed After Two Cranes Collapse

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#18]
NTSB B-Roll - Aerial Imagery of Francis Scott Key Bridge and Cargo Ship Dali
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By mgwantob:

If Russia is behind this, they would not claim responsibility for it because it would simply be a clandestine disruption operation to get us to stop giving aid/money to Ukraine. Destroying expensive infrastructure like this is going to cost a LOT of money to replace. It’s going to affect conversation around aid going overseas and the Russians know this, especially being election season. It’s going to be hotly debated.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mgwantob:
Originally Posted By BayEagle:
A cyberattack on ship's systems is not out of the realm of possibility.  I don't understand why so many poo-poo it.  It has industrial type control systems and software like any other big machine, or plant or building. Proof of concepts and real world examples abound. I've done ethical hacking engagements in the airline and rail industries - shipping is just another target.
Is it likely?

If Russia is behind this, they would not claim responsibility for it because it would simply be a clandestine disruption operation to get us to stop giving aid/money to Ukraine. Destroying expensive infrastructure like this is going to cost a LOT of money to replace. It’s going to affect conversation around aid going overseas and the Russians know this, especially being election season. It’s going to be hotly debated.

Dewd, they'll print and send more money to whoever will give them some kickbacks.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh look! It almost touched the bumper.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#21]
If this were an attack, it would be an attack on China. Whose ships do you think enter that port? Every day that port is shut down is another day China doesn't get paid for its products. No...china didn't attack themselves.  

In the realm of probability, it is far more likely that this was a fuckup than it was deliberate.

My money is on poor vessel maintenance and Ill equipped staff.
View Quote

Plausible deniablilty... it's not like it's the only port they use. Besides which they are probably insured against losses too.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By jDrexler:

And by most strategic you mean the structure closest to the channel?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jDrexler:
Originally Posted By Tomac:
I don't have enough solid/credible info to decide the cause just yet, so will wait before coming to my own conclusion.
However, I do find it interesting that the ship just happened to impact the most strategic point of the bridge.

And by most strategic you mean the structure closest to the channel?

Well in all fairness... it probably couldn't get to the others and running aground was done recently in the Suez but only took 6 days to clear.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Missed the bumper by about 20ft.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:
news from today's WSJ

----------------------------------------------------------

Key Baltimore Bridge Collapses After Being Hit by Cargo Ship, Six Missing

Singaporean ship lost propulsion before striking the Francis Scott Key Bridge over the frigid Patapsco River

Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key bridge collapsed, sending vehicles and people into the water, authorities said. Police said the case was being treated as a mass casualty incident. Photo: Julia Nikhinson/Reuters
By Costas Paris, Jon Kamp, Paul Kiernanand Gareth Vipers      Updated March 26, 2024 2:58 pm ET

BALTIMORE—A major Baltimore bridge collapsed Tuesday after a large containership plowed into it, prompting a search for six people and disrupting one of America’s busiest ports.

The Singaporean ship, called the Dali, lost propulsion as it was leaving a nearby port, according to an unclassified report from the U.S. Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.

The Dali struck the Francis Scott Key Bridge, named after the poet whose lyrics became “The Star-Spangled Banner. The collapse severed a part of Interstate 695.

The impact appeared to be an accident after the crew warned authorities of a power issue on board, Maryland Gov. Wes Moore said.

“This morning our state is in shock,” Moore said, while adding that the immediate focus was on search and rescue operations. Federal officials said there was no evidence of terrorism.

Officials said Tuesday that they were still searching for six people who were connected to a construction crew filling potholes when the ship struck the bridge, said Paul Wiedefeld, Maryland’s transportation secretary. One person had been rescued and is in the hospital, and another wasn’t hospitalized, he added.

Declaring the bridge collapse “a terrible accident,” President Biden said he intended for the federal government to pay the entire cost of reconstruction. “We’re not leaving until this job gets done,” he said, adding that he would travel to Baltimore soon.

How the ship crashed

The ship was moving around eight knots, according to authorities. The speed is typical for vessels traveling in the area.

The Singaporean containership, called the Dali, remained stuck under the bridge Tuesday morning with all crew still on board.

The Dali picked up its anchor and began to move at 12:28 a.m., according to Coast Guard officials. At 1:24 a.m., the vessel’s lights flickered on and off as it traveled, and then at 1:26 a.m., the ship began to change course. It struck the bridge at 1:27 a.m.     One official said the ship issued a mayday call shortly before it hit the bridge.

Video from the incident shows the ship slamming into one of the bridge’s support pillars and the structure completely collapsing into the Patapsco River. The governor said the ship’s warning helped officials stop cars from going over the bridge. He also said it would take a “long term build” to replace the bridge.

“The vessel notified MD Department of Transportation (MDOT) that they had lost control of the vessel and a collision with the bridge was possible,” CISA, the federal agency, said in its memo. “The vessel struck the bridge causing a complete collapse.”

There were 24 people on the ship: two pilots who are local mariners and 22 crew members from India, said Darrell Wilson, a spokesman for Synergy Marine Group, which manages the ship. He said he didn’t have any details on what caused the ship to crash. Wilson said he had no reports of the ship spilling fuel or oil.

One official said the ship issued a mayday call shortly before it hit the bridge.

The vessel had deployed its own emergency procedure and the crew had been checking for casualties in the water, Synergy said. All of the crew are safe, the company added. Danish container shipping giant A.P. Moller-Maersk said it had chartered the ship from Synergy.

The ship was on its way to Sri Lanka when it struck the bridge, and it remained stuck there.

Who was on the bridge

Jesus Campos, 48 years old, works for Brawner Builders, a construction company. Campos said his colleagues were repairing potholes on the bridge when the ship struck it. Campos said he wasn’t there at the time, but knows everyone who was on the bridge, including a worker who was rescued from the water. Campos said a colleague called at 5:40 a.m. to tell him the news of the ship striking the bridge.

He added it could have been him on that bridge.

“I felt sick when they showed me the video. It hurts,” Campos said, adding that he and some other co-workers have tried calling the phones of the missing workers, but no one has responded.

The Journal called Brawner seeking comment. A person who answered the phone didn’t immediately provide one. Brawner Builders has several active multimillion-dollar contracts with the state of Maryland, according to state records.

Multiple vehicles were on the bridge at the time of the collapse, Baltimore City Fire Chief James Wallace said. Authorities were using sonar and infrared technology to determine how many cars were in the water

The scene after the collapse

As daylight revealed the scale of the collapse, police closed roads leading up to the bridge while a parade of emergency response vehicles arrived at the scene. Among the vehicles was a truck from the nearby Kingsville Volunteer Fire Company towing two inflatable boats and a pickup truck from the Prince George’s County police emblazoned with the words “underwater recovery.”

The bridge is the entryway to the Helen Delich Bentley Port of Baltimore, the largest port in the U.S. for specialized cargo like trucks, tractors and trailers. It is also a gateway for bulk cargo like coal and petroleum products.

The bridge was last inspected in May 2021 and received a “fair” rating, according to federal data reviewed by The Journal. That means inspectors determined the bridge was essentially sound, but may have minor issues like cracks or some concrete erosion.

Some 800,000 vehicles passed through the port in 2023, moving three million tons of cargo. The collapse will have ripple effects on the port’s operations that could last for months, according to Coast Guard officials.

All vessel traffic in and out of the Port of Baltimore is suspended until further notice, the port said Tuesday morning. The port is still processing trucks inside its terminals, the port said. Ports in Norfolk, Va., and the New York and New Jersey area are expected to pick up most of the diverted ship traffic.

Synergy said the two pilots were on the ship to steer it through the crossing. Pilots are active or former captains who work at ports and take over ships as they move in and out of ports.

“The pilots take over the ship because they know the port’s tight spots like the back of their hands,” said Ioannis Sgouras, a veteran Greek captain who has sailed to Baltimore many times in recent years.

The port administration says Baltimore is the biggest port on the East Coast for handling “ro-ro,” short for roll-on-roll off and encompassing cargoes of autos, trucks, tractors and wheeled cranes. Coal, liquefied-natural gas and waste paper have ranked among the top exports from the port in recent years, while vehicles, salt, gypsum and sugar have been the biggest imports.

Francis Scott Key Bridge, built in 1977, spanned a total of 1.6 miles, but the overall structure including its approaches covered almost 11 miles.

Alyssa Lukpat, Sabrina Siddiqui, C. Ryan Barber, Cameron McWhirter, Margot Patrick, Joe Wallace, Jack Gillum and Siobhan Hughes contributed to this article.

Write to Costas Paris at [email protected], Jon Kamp at [email protected], Paul Kiernan at [email protected] and Gareth Vipers at [email protected]

https://images.wsj.net/im-942262?width=600

https://images.wsj.net/im-942053?width=1260&size=1.5&pixel_ratio=1.5

https://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/e93b7dbe-2ead-41c0-866a-cb405c26800d-KEYBRIDGECOLLAPSE-_700px.jpg

https://images.wsj.net/im-942055?width=1260&size=1.5&pixel_ratio=1.5

-------------------------------------------------
View Quote

Ha, a cousin of mine is listed as a contributor to that article. Wild.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By PetroAggie07:
Why are we paying for it? That’s what insurance is for.
View Quote

Very likely to be above the limits of the policy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By RSG:
View Quote

So that's how he got all of those rail miles. Bet he was playing cards with the conductor at the time.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#27]
We're lucky that we have a benevolent government that always looks out for our best interest.  When things like this happen, and conspiracy theories fly, we are lucky that we can count on our elected officials to always tell us the truth, and always do what is best for us.  It's a reflection on them that they will put politics aside and do what is best for We The People.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By JamesJones:

View Quote

That 500 million and 2 years may cover the Environmental Impact study that will be required before the new bridge construction even starts.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

$3.6 billion just for the Brent Spence bridge. Which is a much smaller bridge that doesn't have the height requirements of the FSKB.

FJB, but in order to get all this going, a source of funding has to occur, until that happens not one shovelful of dirt will move. See Brent Spence for all that means.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By mancat:

Like I said a few posts above... Working with large vessel information systems/electronics is what I do.

I don't want to be all cocky and call myself an expert but, given my experience, I am EXTREMELY skeptical that any sort of attack occurred here.

I'll eat my words if it turns out to be untrue, but right now I feel like we all do when reading shit about guns in the MSM.

eta let me be specific: I'm referring to an electronic or computerized attack here. There is certainly no telling what may have occurred physically aboard.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mancat:
Originally Posted By MeInMediocrity:

We were probably typing at the same time.  I think we're on the same page.  I was speculating that if it was intentional, it could be very low tech, like some electrical equipment modified to overheat and burn up a certain number of minutes after underway.  Even if the timing is off by a few minutes, the ship would still likely run into something.  Once you get out of the deep channel (not that wide) everything is an opportunity to run aground.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By madmacs69:

But it can't lift 1929 tons AT 384ft... kind of reminds me of this... when it all goes wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuFe3pkp4ck
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NCshooter:
The left coast lifter is indeed in Staten Island and Alcheron has it for sale. When they brought to NY they renamed it "I Lift New York"
1929 ton lift capacity ,384 ft boom 484 ft long
Talk about clearing that channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuFe3pkp4ck

Needs more Asian Hercules
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Very likely to be above the limits of the policy.
View Quote

Pete down there trying to get ahold of somebody at The General
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Remember the Sanibel Island Bridge from Hurricane Ian was going to take billion$ and years to replace? FDOT had it reopened to all traffic in less than a month.

If a good leader can remove the red tape and inspire the team shit gets done fast.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By SamBoga:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwgOHpZlxvc
View Quote

Neat footage of this tragedy

Did the train tracks fall off before the video started?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

The criticality is removing the debris and opening the channel. Road traffic can find another route.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By sledhead907:
Came in here to get news.

See conspiracy bullshit about the ship being hacked.

I’m not sure how some of you function in society.
View Quote

They don’t. That’s why we are stuck with them here spouting this bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By GhettoCowboy:
Remember the Sanibel Island Bridge from Hurricane Ian was going to take billion$ and years to replace? FDOT had it reopened to all traffic in less than a month.

If a good leader can remove the red tape and inspire the team shit gets done fast.
View Quote

It’ll be billions and I’d guess 2 years
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#38]
The new bridge will be a huge concrete span I bet.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By 6SJ7GT:

So that's how he got all of those rail miles. Bet he was playing cards with the conductor at the time.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 6SJ7GT:
Originally Posted By RSG:

Wait... I heard he WAS the conducter earlier in this thread... so you're saying he was playing with himself???

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

A bitty assed causeway is not the same as this bridge.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:07:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6SJ7GT] [#41]
Originally Posted By K5FAL:
The fringe right has always been susceptible to conspiracy theories but lately they seem to have captured a much larger portion of conservatism.

My theory is it’s because of the loss of Rush Limbaugh.  

The man was grounded and got the message out without the kook bullshit.  Now our side is getting their info from all over the place and a lot of these sources are sketchy as fuck.  Hence Putin is a good guy and everything else is a globohomo conspiracy.

Baltimore was most likely an accident.  They do happen.
View Quote

The Bongino rule is still in effect until 1:27am EDT tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By APPARITION:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By APPARITION:

So billions for the big guy and all the graft and corruption?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

That was FL... this is Baltimore... 'nuff said.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By realwar:
The new bridge will be a huge concrete span I bet.
View Quote

Probably too long unless it's a suspension bridge. Supports interfere with the boating...
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By EastRiverSD:

I have no doubt democrats will write a bill for "bridge reconstruction" that will have 2 billion for a bridge, 100 billion for Ukraine, and amnesty for all illegals and will cry and cry and cry when the Rinos don't sign onto it immediately to help poor Baltimore rebuild. Which the Rinos will then most certainly cave.
View Quote

You forgot the $1T for Climate Change.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:12:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Morlawn66] [#46]

They could have used a fender around that pier obviously.  You would think......that the .gov agency responsible might do some fricking risk analysis on some potential disaster scenarios . Somebody did it on that transmission line and skipped those bridge piers .   Collisions are not new but the chances of .gov doing something proactive of substance would surprise the shit out of us .

I don't know how you'd figure the odds of this ,  but they would be crazy high odds .   That's what has people questioning things , ship just veers right into the pier .  What are the chances ?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By PetroAggie07:
Why are we paying for it? That’s what insurance is for.
View Quote

I am sure the insurance company has already mailed a check for $1,000,000,000.00 to the state. That is just a down payment to start the clean up.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#48]
I know nothing about ships.

So somebody explain to me how some malicious act to disable the "control systems" just as the ship was approaching the bridge isn't within the realm of posibility.

I mean literally some asshole aboard the ship who is upset about his boyfriend or less, goes rogue and damages the electronics at a key moment.
Has this been ruled-out with absolute certainty?
Is disabling the control systems something that is not possible?

Educate me.

I want to believe this was just a random mechanical failure. I haven't heard any evidence to actually support one theory or another at this point.
I have to believe the control systems area of the ship is completely codoned-off as a crime scene right now, and nobody there is likely talking at this point.

I really don't get how so many posters are already dead-sure this wasn't a malicious act.

Educate me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By blueballs:
Bitches

Love

Drama

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote
How quickly is difficult to say as the schedule depends on what "rules" will be enforced for the rebuild. Restrictions like permitting & environmental & Jones act & buy American & OSHA are a few. Some are absolutes (OSHA for sure) while others are/should be up for serious review.

I'd say the shortest cycle would be to do your best to reduce or cut long duration tasks like permitting & environmental; then provide immediate funding, assign it to the USACE with at least a 1 star as Program Manager w/a top major project team & do the design & rebuild under a CPAF (cost plus award fee) contract. They'd likely immediately cut a scrap/salvage contract for the steel & another for preliminary route design & assessment of the existing/damaged foundations to see if anything can be reused.

How short - somewhere around 36 to 48 months
How long - could take 10 years or more

My $0.02
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 56
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top