Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3132
Posted: 3/27/2016 2:17:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Star_Scream]
Yes, I know there is a sub for knives but I see cool shit posted here in GD by people who aren't in the sub then forget what the title of the thread was and then get bored trying to search through every random knife related thread in GD.

This is what I usually carry for long bike rides:

A waved Spyderco Delica and a Kwaiken by Dynamik Blades aka Smithy
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:02:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: secretwheelman] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

I saw a recipe for a kimchi Rachel the other day that I've been jonesing for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That looks interesting.
Originally Posted By rbb2:
https://i.imgur.com/f4AdD1h.jpeg
Yessir. Would smash.

Chuck roast "burnt ends"

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By WIC:

huh, I didn't think you owned any guns. Did you borrow that from the neighbor basement girl?

Did you know the band name Two Door Cinema was actually supposed to be Tudor Cinema, but there was a funny misunderstanding and the Two Door version stuck?

Follow my insta account where the hashtag #uselessinfo is pervasive for more fun facts.
View Quote

It's a toy, guns are icky and I would never, ever own such a thing.

Never heard of them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By MaxxII:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199644/IMG_4652-3168473.jpg

Step dad forgot we were supposed to celebrate his birthday tonight and made other plans.

So we improvised with local Mexican restaurant Sunday…
View Quote

I haven't had restaurant Mexican for quite some time. Sounds good.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Shit. I need a DFARM
View Quote

you...don't have...a DFARM?...
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

oohhh, nice. that could be good.

but not as a Rachel, as a reuben.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Step dad forgot we were supposed to celebrate his birthday tonight and made other plans.

View Quote

I don't see any mexican
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:24:12 PM EDT
[#7]

I don't see any mexican
View All Quotes

I don't see any mexican

It’s in the salsa.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:41:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:
That looks interesting.
Yessir. Would smash.

Chuck roast "burnt ends"
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53594884605_e857e750d2_o.jpg
View Quote

skeptical

how were they?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:42:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 80085:

I'm supposed to be working right now but instead I'll take a moment to say that this is absolutely right. Comparison to others or other things is the root of unhappiness in my opinion.

I have traveled to, lived in, and have family in some very poor places of the world. If I spend extended amounts of time outside of the USA in a poor area I always begin to consider how materialistic the United States has become and how in these poor areas people with literal nothing to their names can live in happiness. Their lives are not easy but they are happy. Playing dominos at midnight with friends and family is immensely more conducive to happiness than someone trying to chase possessions to create those feelings of joy. Maybe this is more information than I should share but I have a brother in law who for him happiness is spending time with friends and family and cooking meat over a fire with a beer in his hand. He needs nothing in life but that to provide him joy. On the other hand I have another brother in law who for him, happiness is 1.4 M car in his garage - or at least until he decides to sell it and buy something else because he's never content or always trying to one-up someone else.

If someone isn't happy in life perhaps they have overlooked what it means to be happy and they should evaluate how keeping up with others may be negatively impacting them or others.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DFARM:

#4 reminds me of a Pa Ingalls quote from the "little house" books. "the rich get their ice in the summer and the poor get their ice in the winter."

I generally believe that comparison is the thief of joy and that happiness is pretty much contentment. I think I've shared my thoughts on being careful what you expose yourself to in here.  It's mostly rooted in being happy with what you have. As an example relatable to this thread, I used to be very happy with <$50 Kershaw pocket knives.  Back in the day, there were several US made options in that price range and I never found myself wanting for a "better" knife, until I started exploring different options.

Now I still don't buy very high end knives but I haven't bought a sub $100 knife in a very long time. It was easier for me to justify equipment to make knives over buying expensive knives but the ceiling of what I thought was a reasonable price for a knife has increased significantly since the days of being happy with a Kershaw leek in my pocket.

Ain't that the truth!

I'm supposed to be working right now but instead I'll take a moment to say that this is absolutely right. Comparison to others or other things is the root of unhappiness in my opinion.

I have traveled to, lived in, and have family in some very poor places of the world. If I spend extended amounts of time outside of the USA in a poor area I always begin to consider how materialistic the United States has become and how in these poor areas people with literal nothing to their names can live in happiness. Their lives are not easy but they are happy. Playing dominos at midnight with friends and family is immensely more conducive to happiness than someone trying to chase possessions to create those feelings of joy. Maybe this is more information than I should share but I have a brother in law who for him happiness is spending time with friends and family and cooking meat over a fire with a beer in his hand. He needs nothing in life but that to provide him joy. On the other hand I have another brother in law who for him, happiness is 1.4 M car in his garage - or at least until he decides to sell it and buy something else because he's never content or always trying to one-up someone else.

If someone isn't happy in life perhaps they have overlooked what it means to be happy and they should evaluate how keeping up with others may be negatively impacting them or others.
I can be happy with or without things. I grew up upper middle class, and thought that instead I'd be much happier with a minimal existence. For most of my BS I lived with my ex-girlfriend in a 10'x20' cabin in southern WA we built in a (gorgeous) remote location. Carried water in, outhouse, picked huge chanterelles right across the creek, backed up to mature forest surrounding a mountain reservoir we could walk to off trail, small waterfall and some huge cedars on the 10 acres. We were happy. While that experience frames what I have now with the knowledge of how little it takes, I'll take having money, a real house, and nice things over that any day. And if I ever had a $1.4 mil car, I'd grin from ear to ear every time I drove it. I simply don't understand how people that have those means could be unhappy.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#11]

skeptical

how were they?
View All Quotes
That looks interesting.
Yessir. Would smash.

Chuck roast "burnt ends"

skeptical

how were they?
They have the strong beefy flavor you get from chuck with maybe 85% of the tenderness of brisket. I would have liked more bark, but cooking them in rendered beef fat kinda lost some of it. I considered tossing 'em in some sauce and throwing 'em back on the smoker, but opted instead to just dip 'em.

Not in the same class as good brisket burnt ends, but still good, and much quicker cook time.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:15:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I see it pretty frequently

Mo money, mo problems.

Higher up you go, the further you have to fall.

Who do you alienate and what do you give up to have those things?

It can be very lonely at the top.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:17:09 PM EDT
[#13]
They have the strong beefy flavor you get from chuck with maybe 85% of the tenderness of brisket. I would have liked more bark, but cooking them in rendered beef fat kinda lost some of it. I considered tossing 'em in some sauce and throwing 'em back on the smoker, but opted instead to just dip 'em.

Not in the same class as good brisket burnt ends, but still good, and much quicker cook time.
View Quote

pretty sure the gulash I had the other day used chuck roast. Parts of it were good, the larger chunks of beef were dry in the middle. kinda gave me gut rot too.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#14]

It’s in the salsa.
View Quote

then pepe's peepee will be spicy
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MrSig239:
Cinnamon raison bagel with cream cheese for breakfast today. Still fighting the ice! Hopefully supposed to hit 40 today. Keeping the 111 with me.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56211/IMG_7869_jpg-3167906.JPG
View Quote

Proper plating
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#16]
https://i.imgur.com/f4AdD1h.jpeg
View Quote

Snow Mexican bacon looks good.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#17]
https://i.imgur.com/weJ0Gi0.jpg
View Quote

Classy AF
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:25:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 3xpert:
https://i.imgur.com/aBSaOKF.jpg
View Quote

Looks tasty
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:25:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I see it pretty frequently

Mo money, mo problems.

Higher up you go, the further you have to fall.

Who do you alienate and what do you give up to have those things?

It can be very lonely at the top.

View Quote
I guess the thing for me is having the experience of really doing without takes the fear off of falling. I didn't make it very high in pecunious terms I suppose though so I don't really know what that feels like.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:25:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Hey, I didn't claim to be a good role model!

https://i.imgur.com/Sv1985L.jpeg
View Quote

Maybe.. Pic is solid
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:27:26 PM EDT
[#21]

I’m supposed to be working right now but instead I’ll take a moment to say that this is absolutely right. Comparison to others or other things is the root of unhappiness in my opinion.

I have traveled to, lived in, and have family in some very poor places of the world. If I spend extended amounts of time outside of the USA in a poor area I always begin to consider how materialistic the United States has become and how in these poor areas people with literal nothing to their names can live in happiness. Their lives are not easy but they are happy. Playing dominos at midnight with friends and family is immensely more conducive to happiness than someone trying to chase possessions to create those feelings of joy. Maybe this is more information than I should share but I have a brother in law who for him happiness is spending time with friends and family and cooking meat over a fire with a beer in his hand. He needs nothing in life but that to provide him joy. On the other hand I have another brother in law who for him, happiness is 1.4 M car in his garage - or at least until he decides to sell it and buy something else because he’s never content or always trying to one-up someone else.

If someone isn’t happy in life perhaps they have overlooked what it means to be happy and they should evaluate how keeping up with others may be negatively impacting them or others.
View Quote

A whole lot of this.

Today the thing that made me happiest was watching my son make dinner and how to cook tortillas on a burner without burning the shit out of your fingers.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:30:55 PM EDT
[#22]

pretty sure the gulash I had the other day used chuck roast. Parts of it were good, the larger chunks of beef were dry in the middle. kinda gave me gut rot too.
View Quote
You cut these into small cubes before cooking so they're a consistent size, and are all fairly similar once done cooking.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:34:25 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

Sadly improperly handled or prepared then. Chuck roast is unground hamburger and is beyond reproach.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:36:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Looks awesome.
I'd get in trouble for eating the roasted stuff straight from the sheet pan. Lol
View Quote

My great grandmother used to whack the crap out of us with a wooden spoon for doing that.

Little old lady was a ninja with a wooden spoon.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:41:10 PM EDT
[#25]

My great grandmother used to whack the crap out of us with a wooden spoon for doing that.

View Quote

Must have been a generational skill. Lol
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:09:58 AM EDT
[#26]
https://i.imgur.com/kzyQDxN.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:07:54 AM EDT
[#27]

Snow Mexican bacon looks good.
View Quote

You're off your game; first the asparagus, now this.

It's ham that was nearing the sell by date so on sale at the supermarket. It's from Maxi's neighborhood, actually (Frick's). It's no Beeler's, but it's certainly better than typical deli counter or Smithfield meat.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:14:13 AM EDT
[#28]
You cut these into small cubes before cooking so they're a consistent size, and are all fairly similar once done cooking.
View All Quotes

Yeah the dry center of larger chunks is poor prep work. They need to be consistent in size so they are finished cooking at the right time.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:43:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Time for Monday. Hamilton on the left was my maternal grandfather's. Benrus on the right was my paternal grandfather's.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:53:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#31]
LOL, the meteorologists are wrong so often they have given up and they are asking the people looking up the weather what the weather is.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#32]
LOL, the meteorologists are wrong so often they have given up and they are asking the people looking up the weather what the weather is.

https://i.imgur.com/tCFxilT.jpeg
View Quote

LMAO
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:04:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WILSON] [#33]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:05:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DFARM] [#34]
Silicone kitchen tools are more durable. Also, when you laugh because the spoon breaks and you think it's over, it's not over.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#35]
My parents used orange nylon tupperware utensils.

Lot of elasticity in those.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Plus dishwasher safe.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Silicone kitchen tools are more durable. Also, when you laugh because the spoon breaks and you think it's over, it's not over.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:51:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WILSON] [#38]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:14:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shane333] [#39]
A couple of blades being made for me in Nepal.
The smaller one could work for carry.  Not the big one.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#40]
https://i.imgur.com/nqdvz7j.jpeg

Kiddos work.

He really got a char on the peppers but the tough blackened outer layer slid right off and the chiles smelled amazeballs
View Quote

What did that turn into?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Point number one from the article you obviously didn't read.

Thug.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

As long as it wasn’t Mexican food in the Carolina’s then you probably had a great meal.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#43]
That looks interesting.
Yessir. Would smash.

Chuck roast "burnt ends"
View Quote

Damn.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

I got you covered.

https://a.co/d/1BOPB5y
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
I simply don't understand how people that have those means could be unhappy.
View Quote

Prioritizing the wrong things in life might be a big part of it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:13:17 PM EDT
[#46]

https://i.imgur.com/tCFxilT.jpeg
View Quote

Nobody uses a meteorologist for an app. It’s all APIs from the NWS feeds.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:18:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By WILSON:
It was!  

https://i.redd.it/5ibvqai5v7n51.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/b3/13/2e/b3132e70cdb0fb177edeb32c895ffd80.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WILSON:

Must have been a generational skill. Lol
It was!  

https://i.redd.it/5ibvqai5v7n51.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/b3/13/2e/b3132e70cdb0fb177edeb32c895ffd80.jpg

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#48]
I cleaned the drawers out for a purge and still haven't really acted on it. I still have my traditionals drawer, "nice" drawer, emerson drawer, and the other drawer.

The other drawer is really light, only 3-4 knives. made me realize I miss a few. Seeing MaxxII's Pena made me pull mine out from the pile again.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#49]

Nobody uses a meteorologist for an app. It’s all APIs from the NWS feeds.
View Quote

OK, so worse, the government wants us to tell them because they can't be bothered, but we still have to pay.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#50]

I got you covered.

View All Quotes

I got you covered.

$23 for one MRE?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3132
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top