Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 11/25/2023 10:32:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexRdnec]
didn't want to overtake the deals thread, so chime in if you've got one, used one or know anything about them

@BLK_MAJK i know you've got one, i just seent it.  show moar pics, tell moar about what you know.

as for me, i just bought one, know nothing about them other than what i've seen on youtube and bought from mountain house/augason farms/etc...

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Freeze dried candy is the newest farmers market side job out here.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:43:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mikesid] [#3]
I got one in 2020 and been using it non-stop...I dont want to eat za bugs so Ive been freeze drying a lot of beef. Kids like to make candy and give to their friends. I love it and got the large size with oil-less pump. I had to have a dedicated outlet installed for my unit as well.

this is the utility cart I got for it:
https://www.harborfreight.com/36-in-x-24-in-industrial-polypropylene-service-cart-58323.html
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:46:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Freeze-dried bananas are bonkers good. Greasy meat does not turn out very good. I'm not sure why but most fats and oils go through a weird flavor change.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve got one and it was great for 9 months. They don’t have technicians to work on them and they are sending me my second motherboard that has gone bad. Now I tell everyone to not buy one. Good luck and enjoy it while it works. Freeze dried skittles are good.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:48:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mikesid:

I got one in 2020 and been using it non-stop...I dont want to eat za bugs so Ive been freeze drying a lot of beef. Kids like to make candy and give to their friends. I love it and got the large size with oil-less pump.
View Quote

how are you packaging it?

mylar or jars i assume?  mostly too fragile for vaccusucking so just oxygen absorbers?
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:48:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m interested… oil less.

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 10mmillie:
I’ve got one and it was great for 9 months. They don’t have technicians to work on them and they are sending me my second motherboard that has gone bad. Now I tell everyone to not buy one. Good luck and enjoy it while it works. Freeze dried skittles are good.
View Quote

well that's no fun.  how's customer service?  reckon they'll eventually make it right or ?
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#9]
How many years supply for how many mouths is that?
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:57:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:

how are you packaging it?

mylar or jars i assume?  mostly too fragile for vaccusucking so just oxygen absorbers?
View Quote

mylar bags with multiple O2 absorbers in each. then they are placed in large totes and stored in the A/C. Ive done a lot of fruit too. Pineapples are excellent.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:57:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MidwestJ] [#11]
View Quote

So much this.

MIL got a crap unit that they FINALLY made right

She had to have a 20amp circuit installed

Freeze dried skittles are in fact the bomb

Bananas are excellent

Pineapple is RIDICULOUSLY good
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:01:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BLK_MAJK] [#12]
We have a medium.  We have the "upgraded" oil pump.  We looked at oil-less but they are supposedly louder and not as reliable... Can't confirm or deny.  Skittles and other candies are fun (and super popular to sell a you have seen).  They are good about upgrading the firmware, including the candy cycle they added last year some time.  It's much faster than a normal cycle.  You can do a ton of powdered eggs easily.  Break, whisk, pour onto trays, freeze (not required, but most people recommend it), then pop them in dryer.  When done, put chunks into blender/Cuisinart and powder them up.  Into Mason jars and they will be good for a LONG time.. Just add water.  Tons of good YouTube vids.  We've only scratched the surface with ours.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#13]
We have had 2 (started with a small and moved to a medium) and they run dang near non stop.

We only have one now.

Eggs, milk, garden vegetables and berries are our main uses. All from our farm.

We vacuum seal in mylar bags using a vacmaster vp215.

Stored in metal garbage cans in the basement.  Heard to many stories about mice getting in the plastic totes.

We’ve had no problems with our Harvest Rights. I think the machine we have now has over 200 batches.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#14]

well that's no fun.  how's customer service?  reckon they'll eventually make it right or ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

They seem to be trying to make it right but I’m not an E-tech and them trying to do it by telephone and pictures just isn’t working.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#15]

They seem to be trying to make it right but I’m not an E-tech and them trying to do it by telephone and pictures just isn’t working.
View Quote

Same experience my MIL had with it.  Eventually they got it right.

Delivery man told her he takes back (returns) about half as many as he delivers out.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:33:01 PM EDT
[#16]
well my wife didn't flip her shit or even ask the price and when my daughter heard what it was she asked out skittles

evidently some girl at school had some but didn't want to share with her
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:34:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MidwestJ:

Delivery man told her he takes back (returns) about half as many as he delivers out.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MidwestJ:

damn, they've got like 4.8 stars on tractor supply's website
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Only way I could get into freeze drying would be by providing the energy from solar.

You're talking about a oil-type vacuum pump and a freezer run for hours. It'll make your meter spin fast.

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:41:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By webtaz99:
Only way I could get into freeze drying would be by providing the energy from solar.

You're talking about a oil-type vacuum pump and a freezer run for hours. It'll make your meter spin fast.

View Quote

We pay around ¢14 per kWh.  Usually uses around 20-25 kWh. So around $3 per batch.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:53:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Some friends and I pitched in and split one 5 ways. We just move it from house to house as people's crops come in or they buy stuff they want to dry. I just had my apple crop come in so I have it now. The standard pump for lack of a better word, sucks. You have to change the oil, a lot. It works just fine but you can run up a pretty big bill on oil changes. You can filter it and get a couple of more runs before oil changes. The premium pump is much better. Just Pm me if you want and we can discuss it via phone.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:11:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By buckshot_jim:
Some friends and I pitched in and split one 5 ways. We just move it from house to house as people's crops come in or they buy stuff they want to dry. I just had my apple crop come in so I have it now. The standard pump for lack of a better word, sucks. You have to change the oil, a lot. It works just fine but you can run up a pretty big bill on oil changes. You can filter it and get a couple of more runs before oil changes. The premium pump is much better. Just Pm me if you want and we can discuss it via phone.
View Quote

mine came with the PREMIER pump

whatever the hell that means, i'll have a little better handle on everything tomorrow when i get it out of the back of my truck
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:26:11 AM EDT
[#22]

whatever the hell that means, i'll have a little better handle on everything tomorrow when i get it out of the back of my truck
View Quote

We bought the premier a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:54:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottyPotty] [#23]
We have the regular vac pump.  It works fine, I made a oil change station with wix hydraulic oil filter and it only takes a few mins to drain and re-fill.

it sucked, but we had to send ours back due to the compressor going out.  They fixed it under warranty and sent it back.  It did the same thing.....right out of the box.  We sent it right back again and they got it fixed the second time.  They paid all the shipping.

Wife runs it quite a bit and we like the cheese and ham....good thing because we just got done with a couple 40# blocks of cheese and a 5gallon bucket of sour cream.....

Get extra trays and some tray stackers.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:52:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I used to work for Oregon Freeze Dry. Mountain House is their retail brand. I ate plenty of freeze-dried food while I worked there.

That Little Freeze dryer looks like it dries about as much as a single tray in the chambers I worked around.

My BIL has one of those Harvest right units. He seems to like it.

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#25]
didn't want to overtake the deals thread, so chime in if you've got one, used one or know anything about them

@BLK_MAJK i know you've got one, i just seent it.  show moar pics, tell moar about what you know.

as for me, i just bought one, know nothing about them other than what i've seen on youtube and bought from mountain house/augason farms/etc...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30587/IMG_5708-3040103.jpg
View Quote

I lost one in my house fire but it wasn’t mine-I borrowed it for close to 2 years from a friend and really made hay while the sun shined with it.

Prior to gettting it I had spent more on Mountain House thru group buys here in the 2000’s than a freeze drier cost. When they came out, it didn’t make sense to get one as I was already pretty stocked up… then I got married and started thinking about retirement up at my cabin and how chicken on sale today is much, much cheaper than full price 20 years from now….

I freeze dried a LOT of food. Raw scrambled eggs, goulash, meat of every variety, fruit, vegetables, you name it. It made a huge dent in our long term needs for sure-but it gets to be a chore keeping it running. My wife had to make a lot more food or do double the prep on doubled batches etc. and she burned out. If I were to replace it, I would be on my own as far as keeping it running.

There were a few things that were inconvenient about keeping it running, mostly that you have to be Johnny on the spot when it finishes a cycle to use the time efficiently-that might mean pulling food out before leaving for work at 5am. You can temorarily store the product in zip lock bags, but especially on humid months you can’t afford to wait too many days before packing in Mylar bags or the food sucks up water from the air.

Then there is the noise-the novelty wears off quick and you won’t want to keep it in the kitchen. Your power bills will go up about $1.50 a batch, but what does a #10 can of meat cost from online suppliers? $55?

The biggest lesson is that you need to keep it running to have it pay for itself. Find out what freeze dries the fastest (pasta dishes, meats etc) and try to double up where you can. Give yourself the occasional break by doing something like eggs and finding ways to reduce the handling workload like blending them both wet and dry to make packaging easier etc.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Not the first I have heard of this-Covid wrecked their parts supplier base hard.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By mikesid:

mylar bags with multiple O2 absorbers in each. then they are placed in large totes and stored in the A/C. Ive done a lot of fruit too. Pineapples are excellent.
View Quote

Eeeeeverybody loves and asks for pineapple…. It also happens to be the slowest cycle time food I have done-80 hours one time. The slices become a really good thermal insulator as soon as they dry next to the tray so the rest of the slice is slooooow to dry-remember guys this is a vacuum process so direct thermal contact is the only way to heat the frozen food.

The trick is to use canned crushed pineapple-much faster to run because the membranes of the fruit have largely been ruptured and it has better tray contact than slices.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By webtaz99:

View Quote

I’m at my off grid cabin right now and it would take a gargantuan increase in my battery bank to make running a FD possible. Those nights are long and I ain’t running a generator while I sleep…
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

We had nothing but problem after problem with our HR.

After several weeks of nothing but crickets, Mrs. Hoji said “ to hell with it, just replace it with a new one”

This is the email we received from HR

Attachment Attached File

That email prompted us to just say fuck it. You sold us a $4200 broken machine. Refund our money.

They did , but kept a 15% restocking fee.

Fuck those people with a rusty chainsaw.
@TexRdnec

Hope y’all have better luck.
Hope you looked here before purchasing. We , unfortunately , did not.

https://www.bbb.org/us/ut/salt-lake-city/profile/food-processing-equipment/harvest-right-llc-1166-90013730/complaints

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#30]
I had one before the EX stole it.

They are a pita. Buy compressor oil by the 55 gallon drum if you didn’t get the oil less one.
They are noisy, take 24 hrs to freeze dry stuff (an hour or more of prep time before) and prone to leak and give you trouble.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#31]
I'd love to have one!

Alas, it's not a viable option at the moment.

Our dehydrators get a workout, though.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By BTccw:
I had one before the EX stole it.

They are a pita. Buy compressor oil by the 55 gallon drum if you didn’t get the oil less one.
They are noisy, take 24 hrs to freeze dry stuff (an hour or more of prep time before) and prone to leak and give you trouble.

Enjoy.
View Quote

55 gallon drum? You’re supposed to filter it….. and reuse it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#33]
We have 2 machines from Harvest Right, a medium and a large.

We sold candy at vender/craft shows until we got the costs of the machines back. We ignored our labor in making candy to sell. Now candy id available everywhere, but we wanted the machines for our produce.

Depending upon what we are drying dictates how we store it. Long term, mylar, short term vacuum sealed jars.

We do raw ingredients as well as full meals. Poultry is always dried cooked, beef is raw. We will do cooked burger.

If you have seen it for sale as freeze dried, chances are we have done it. With the exception of butter and peanut butter.

If both machines run 24/7 they will add a $100 to our electric bill at .11 per KH. They both run full time starting in August through early Oct. Then part time after that.  

If we make a canned sauce we also make a dried version. This allows us to very the consistency of any sauce we have. Such as; spaghetti, pizza, nacho cheese, plain tomato, etc...

We also do soups, so when out camping all you have to do is add hot water and in 5 minutes a batch of soup is ready with the only dirty dish being the pot used to boil the water (so no dishes to clean).

Doing this allows us to rotate what is grown in the garden and will allow us to take a year of growing off next year.

Food for SHTF is so far down the lists of needs that it doesn't even count, for us.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#34]
I would love one these, but cant really justify the cost. I wish there where some locals whom I could split the cost with, even a 3 way split would be good.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:
I would love one these, but cant really justify the cost. I wish there where some locals whom I could split the cost with, even a 3 way split would be good.
View Quote

Yeah, between high cost, lots of parts failures reported, and high electrical usage, I'm in the same boat. I would love to store produce I grew indefinitely, but that's a very large buy in.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#36]
There are two competitors to Harvestright now, can’t vouch for either of them but there is an alternative.

FWIW, older HR were GTG. It’s the post COVID units that are a total crap-shoot. I can’t believe the .gov hasn’t stepped in and forced them to tighten their shit up.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
There are two competitors to Harvestright now, can’t vouch for either of them but there is an alternative.

FWIW, older HR were GTG. It’s the post COVID units that are a total crap-shoot. I can’t believe the .gov hasn’t stepped in and forced them to tighten their shit up.
View Quote

We bought ours primarily due to friends of ours owning one ( pre rice rabies) and it works great.

I think you are spot on with the post covid quality control.

We are waiting for more reviews ( both good and bad) from HR’s competitors before diving in that pool again.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#38]
I’ve had mine since late 2018. I did have a two month lag while a bad vacuum pump got sorted out but it ran fine after that. I’ve got 12 55 gallon steel drums of fd food in Mylar bags put away not to mention about another drums worth in quart jars.
My machine is running a little wonky now. I bought a premier pump to see if that will unwonky the machine. If that doesn’t work then I may consider a new machine but now my big problem is decent temperature controlled storage space for all those barrels plus more if I can process more food.
It’s been a reliable machine once I learned its foibles which was mainly ensuring a good door seal.  
I’m glad I got one.  
Cost was about $5,50 a run for a large machine at 15 cents kWh.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Dash1b:
I’ve had mine since late 2018. I did have a two month lag while a bad vacuum pump got sorted out but it ran fine after that. I’ve got 12 55 gallon steel drums of fd food in Mylar bags put away not to mention about another drums worth in quart jars.
My machine is running a little wonky now. I bought a premier pump to see if that will unwonky the machine. If that doesn’t work then I may consider a new machine but now my big problem is decent temperature controlled storage space for all those barrels plus more if I can process more food.
It’s been a reliable machine once I learned its foibles which was mainly ensuring a good door seal.  
I’m glad I got one.  
Cost was about $5,50 a run for a large machine at 15 cents kWh.
View Quote

The FD’d food doesn’t have to be treated with a temperature controlled storage spot to keep it. Granted, there aren’t a lot of oils/fats in MH food, but there was a story a few years back about a family that has to move their dad across country as he got elderly and he had an attack of it someplace like Georgia…. It was early production MH in #10 cans and it was fine.

YMMV, but the worst that could happen is oils go rancid but that is unlikely as it’s an oxygen deprived environment if you packed it properly.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:33:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: YXZ1000R] [#40]
Happy with our Harvestright.  We have a medium "pharmaceutical" version.  I ordered a regular one, but the pharmaceutical showed up.  I like it because it's stainless.  Has 7 drawers instead of 4, so there is less room for stuff that might stick up taller than normal.  But it works fine for us.  Everything goes into mylar bags and is sealed, then stored in totes.

Doing remainder of our Thanksgiving dinner today.  Lots of turkey, casseroles, gravy etc.  We've been doing a lot of leftovers lately.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#41]
What’s the cost to enter this realm these days?

I’ve had the idea to get into this for a long time, haven’t priced it out in 15+ years.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Do you think these are cost effective for anything?

Doesn't it cost far more to freeze dry stuff in time+equipment+food then just to buy the food and eat it?

Or is this an end of the world prep stuff that people spend a lot of money on, use once or twice, then never use again?
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Dance:
Do you think these are cost effective for anything?

Doesn't it cost far more to freeze dry stuff in time+equipment+food then just to buy the food and eat it?

Or is this an end of the world prep stuff that people spend a lot of money on, use once or twice, then never use again?
View Quote

IF you have a unit that works, it can both make money and save money in the sense that just selling freeze dried skittles to neckbeards at gun shows can pay for the machine in very short order ( very over simplified, but you get the idea) and being able to store and not toss food that goes bad could have a significant impact on your grocery bill.

If you do big gardens, raise chickens for eggs, etc, you can freeze dry eggs and produce and it will store until ready to eat for years.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Hoji:

IF you have a unit that works, it can both make money and save money in the sense that just selling freeze dried skittles to neckbeards at gun shows can pay for the machine in very short order ( very over simplified, but you get the idea) and being able to store and not toss food that goes bad could have a significant impact on your grocery bill.

If you do big gardens, raise chickens for eggs, etc, you can freeze dry eggs and produce and it will store until ready to eat for years.
View Quote

So $3000 to $6000 to make candy to sell at gun shows?

Seems like a waste of money except in very limited circumstances.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Know someone that sold freeze dried skittles and store brand ice cream sandwiches at some kind of outdoor show ( may have been a gun show)

Ran the machine nonstop for about 3-4 weeks ( theirs was a working one) and made a profit of over $4k in 2-1/2 days.

You do not need to babysit the machines if they work, so their time investment was filling trays with skittles for one batch  and alternating with the ICS.

They also store a  bunch of  food / garden crops.

Yeah, they are expensive, but if they work are well worth the money.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:28:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By macman37:

I’ve had the idea to get into this for a long time, haven’t priced it out in 15+ years.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By macman37:

Got a scheels close by?

ok, gather round.  you know that mountain house deal that we all jumped on earlier?

and you know that fridge overflowing with thanksgiving shit?  know how most of it is gonna end up thrown away?  it doesn't have to be.  in fact, you could eat that green bean casserole 25yrs from now if you wanted to.

and here's how you can do it on the cheap... freeze dry that shit.

scheels already has these at the lowest prices they are anywhere but they're offering a $200 gift card with both of the medium and large size freeze driers

https://www.scheels.com/p/harvest-right-home-pro-freeze-dryer-size-medium-%285-tray%29/85487700886.html#q=harvest%2Bright&lang=en_US&start=1

https://www.scheels.com/p/harvest-right-home-pro-freeze-dryer-size-large-%286-trays%29/85487700889.html#q=harvest%2Bright&lang=en_US&start=2

but wait, there's more!

ebates is 10% back at scheels right now so that's another $270 or $340 back, respectively

it shows in store pickup only for me and the nearest one is 8 hours away so if you don't already have ebates, use my referral link.  you'll get $40, i'll get $40 and my $40 will help offset the one i just brought home from tractor supply

http://www.rakuten.com/r/TEXRDN?eeid=28187

voila, now that green bean casserole has the potential to last longer than we will

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

I bought my first one used.

Dude bought it for his kids to freeze dry candy and take to school and sell. They paid him back for the $2400 machine in 14 weeks.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Ohiogators:

I bought my first one used.

Dude bought it for his kids to freeze dry candy and take to school and sell. They paid him back for the $2400 machine in 14 weeks.
View Quote

Why would he sell it?
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:26:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ohiogators] [#49]
Originally Posted By Echd:

Why would he sell it?
View Quote

Kids got bored with it.  I bought it for $700.  They had it for less than a year and sold about $6k in candy
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

the premier pump still needs oil..the "oil-free" pump is about $1500 more
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top