Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2001 3:47:14 AM EDT
This board has gotten really slow for me.
The time from clicking to do anything until the next screen is fully loaded (click to click time/ hang time) is averaging 20 to 25 seconds.

What is the cure?
I am using a cable modem with 1.1 download speed timed.
Equipment: Pentium 133 with 64 Mb. ram
System: Win98
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 6:48:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 4:21:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Slow screen changes each time I visit.
Last night at 10pm it was a 30 second hang time.
Ugh!
I was trying to read a 9 page thread, and quickly calculated that I would be spending 4+ minutes just waiting for screen changes.

This morning at 8am we are back to "Just" a 25 second hang time. [:(]
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 4:44:03 AM EDT
[#3]
It must have something to do with what backbone you are on.

I was on last night, and it was normal speed.

However, when I log on from work... it is PAINFULLY slow.  You click, the screen goes black, then you wait.... maybe 15-20 seconds.  I load a lot of pages at once, and read one while the others load, using "open in new window"  

Seems to me to be network related.

Hey GB... i sent you a friendly email a while back, but never got a response.  Also, I singed up as a member on 10/23... paypal... and haven't gotten anything yet.

Am I on some "bad" list?   [peep]
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 6:33:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 6:36:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 6:36:33 AM EDT
[#6]
i say get a faster processor and more memory.

also, defrag your pc once, twice a week, and erase all unecessary crap (temp files, history files, unused programs, that damned AOL crap that seems to come with every pc, dumb-ass screensavers, i could go on and on...but i wont).  did i mention getting a faster processor?
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 6:39:33 AM EDT
[#7]
yes i guess i did.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#9]
WHAT HAPPENED?

I'm now getting close to "normal" expected hang times (2 seconds or so).

The only change I made yesterday was to turn off the dynamic menu option. That gave me a very little speed increase, but nothing to write home about.

Well, in any event, I'm happy now. [:)]

PS: I've maxed out this machine with 74 Mb. of RAM. As soon as I get a spare $800, I'll make an upgrade. But, without a paying job that is going to take awhile.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top