Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2017 3:02:18 PM EDT
Hey guys, I just recently found this subforum.  I am slated to take the basic OW class this summer.  My BIL is a master diver and we are going to spend the week with him and his wife. His buddy is an instructor.  He's going to hook me up on a free class, since my BIL has the boat. :)

I've got the instructional packet and will go through that stuff before getting to FL to meet the instructor, to streamline things a bit.  I found the older thread about buying inexpensive masks, and one member posted about getting his masks at Walmart, basically trying them on till he finds one that makes a natural seal.  Since I have 6 months before my class, that's what I plan on trying.  Since I don't swim real well, my thought was to get a snorkel and mask, and get in the pool at the gym to get my endurance up.  

My main question is regarding a fat mustache and dive mask.  I'm rocking a decent handlebar that I've been growing since last March.  I'd like to not have to get rid of it before the dive.  Is there something I can put on it to aid in getting a good seal?  I have some stache wax I use, and thought maybe slathering it up with that.  I typically use very little wax  

Btw, it looks like my first dive after the pool work will be shallow water lobster diving, I think in the Keys, not sure. My wife said it was a suprise they were going to "spring" on me when I get down there.  I don't think diving will become a long term thing for me, but am excited to try it out.  Especially since I won't have to pay $400 to find out I can't hack it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:My main question is regarding a fat mustache and dive mask.  I'm rocking a decent handlebar that I've been growing since last March.  I'd like to not have to get rid of it before the dive.  Is there something I can put on it to aid in getting a good seal?  I have some stache wax I use, and thought maybe slathering it up with that.  I typically use very little wax.
View Quote

I've yet to try stache wax. Put the mask on the mirror so you have a good idea how much of it is actually under the skirt that may or may not cause a bad seal. If it's not much you can always jus trim from the top down a little bit.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure the cheap mask from Walmart has tempered glass. Otherwise, it's useless for diving.

Get fins now and use them in the pool, too! That's what I do.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make sure the cheap mask from Walmart has tempered glass. Otherwise, it's useless for diving.

Get fins now and use them in the pool, too! That's what I do.
View Quote

10/4
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Btw, it looks like my first dive after the pool work will be shallow water lobster diving, I think in the Keys, not sure. My wife said it was a suprise they were going to "spring" on me when I get down there.  I don't think diving will become a long term thing for me, but am excited to try it out.  Especially since I won't have to pay $400 to find out I can't hack it.
View Quote

My money is on you getting addicted! It's just incredible. My diving is the opposite of yours - quarries in the Midwest and the Great Lakes.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:29:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My money is on you getting addicted! It's just incredible. My diving is the opposite of yours - quarries in the Midwest and the Great Lakes.
View Quote

I probably would get addicted if I lived in FL near my BIL.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:58:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which general area do you live in (Midwest, Northeast, etc.)?
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 12:31:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Which general area do you live in (Midwest, Northeast, etc.)?
View Quote

Midatlantic not close to the coast.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:13:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Roll the strap on your mask over the glass, but don't kink the mask skirt.

Place the mask on your face and inhale through your nose. If the mask collapses, the seal is good.

If it doesn't, put a little Vaseline on your 'stache and try again. Wax usually doesn't work.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Roll the strap on your mask over the glass, but don't kink the mask skirt.

Place the mask on your face and inhale through your nose. If the mask collapses, the seal is good.

If it doesn't, put a little Vaseline on your 'stache and try again. Wax usually doesn't work.
View Quote

Ok thanks
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Dude, diving is worse that BRD (Black Rifle Disease) and NFAids.  What state do you live in?
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dude, diving is worse that BRD (Black Rifle Disease) and NFAids.  What state do you live in?
View Quote

No f'ing kidding. Holy crap.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

SW VA.  I've got a decent case of BRD, and if I was going to have to pay for the dive class, I wouldn't do it.  We just have some murky reservoirs around here.  

The downside is as of yet, my wife isn't interested in taking the class.  We like going on cruises, and I think if we both got the basic OW, we'd be able to do some diving on future trips.  I'm still going to work on her though.  She's a good swimmer, great compared to me.  She said deep water freaks her out.  But we would have more reason to go visit this brother more, since he's her favorite brother.  Mine too. ;)

Edit:
I talked to my wife about my idea for her to get certified also, and how much fun it would be for us when we go on other trips.  She said she will probaby do it since we aren't planning on doing any deep diving first time out.  So we stopped at Dick's to see what kind of snorkel gear they had.  Everything had tempered glass in the masks, so we will probably pick up a couple sets and look like goofballs swimming in the pool at our gym.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#13]
LOL

If you really wanna have fun with people, take your scuba gear to the local city pool and see the reactions.  Just make sure that you're doing a sanctioned dive.

Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:03:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm the entertainment for people in the big tub when I do laps in the pool in mask, snorkel, fins. One Japanese lady about my age said she had always wanted to try diving but never had. I encouraged her to try it and gave her the info for my dive shop. I talk to plenty of people about diving once they ask.

The public pools around here are really iffy about scuba gear in the pool (snorkeling is OK). Liability issues, even if you're certified. Best ask before you haul all your gear.

ETA:  OP, I was scared of deep water. I wasn't a strong swimmer either. The deep end of pools freaked me out more than the quarry. If I can do it, your wife can. I'm much more comfortable now.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm the entertainment for people in the big tub when I do laps in the pool in mask, snorkel, fins. One Japanese lady about my age said she had always wanted to try diving but never had. I encouraged her to try it and gave her the info for my dive shop. I talk to plenty of people about diving once they ask.

The public pools around here are really iffy about scuba gear in the pool (snorkeling is OK). Liability issues, even if you're certified. Best ask before you haul all your gear.

ETA:  OP, I was scared of deep water. I wasn't a strong swimmer either. The deep end of pools freaked me out more than the quarry. If I can do it, your wife can. I'm much more comfortable now.
View Quote

Thanks.  We won't have access to any scuba gear till we get to FL.  So we will be going with snorkels.   The gym we go to has a lap pool, but a different gym has a pool that's 12ft on one end that we may visit occasionally.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:40:59 PM EDT
[#16]
A good mask will make a HUGE difference in your experience..  with a mustache you want a really soft skirt..   if you want I'm me a picture of your face and your address.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A good mask will make a HUGE difference in your experience..  with a mustache you want a really soft skirt..   if you want I'm me a picture of your face and your address.
View Quote

Awesome! Check your inbox.[/img]
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Dude, that mustache!
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Dude, that mustache!
View Quote

Started as a beard last March.  Rocked that for a while, then trimmed it down to a bushy fu-manchu.  Trimmed the legs off the Fu in Oct.  My wife has slowly gotten on board with it, as long as it stays combed and curled.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a mustache for the first few years of diving and never was able to get a complete seal on the mask. But I did get very good at clearing my mask, sometimes doing it about every 10 mins.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#21]
This is my mug. I was out diving today without an issue.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are the man!
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top